Start by marking “Love Finds You in Calico, California” as Want to Read:
Love Finds You in Calico, California

Love Finds You in Calico, California (Love Finds You)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  298 ratings  ·  36 reviews
A young seamstress weaves her own story in a world run by men. After hearing news of a silver strike in Calico, California, Abigail Watts packs up her needles and thread and follows her beloved father out West. But when she's suddenly left alone in the rough mining town, Abigail finds herself pressed into a marriage of convenience with the local livery owner, Nathan Hawk. ...more
Published July 1st 2010 by Summerside Press (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Love Finds You in Calico, California, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love Finds You in Calico, California

Love Finds You in Hershey, Pennsylvania by Cerella SechristLove Finds You in Bridal Veil, Oregon by Miralee FerrellLove Finds You in Groom, Texas by Janice HannaLove Finds You in Snowball, Arkansas by Sandra D. BrickerLove Finds You in Liberty, Indiana by Melanie Dobson
"Love Finds You" Romance Series
7th out of 59 books — 55 voters
She Walks in Beauty by Siri MitchellThe Healer's Apprentice by Melanie DickersonA Tailor-Made Bride by Karen WitemeyerCourting Morrow Little by Laura FrantzHead in the Clouds by Karen Witemeyer
Best Christian Fiction Book Covers
193rd out of 763 books — 686 voters

More lists with this book...

Cindi
Ever read a book that you didn't want to end? You wanted the story to go on just a little bit further so you could see how the characters would act in this new situation? Love Finds You in Calico, California is one of those books! This is Elizabeth Ludwig's first full-length novel, and she does a wonderful job. The characters are realistic, the story is captivating, and the message is clear.

Abigail Watts and her father are living in Calico, California. It's a mining town, full of rough and tumbl
Hannah
This is my first foray into the "Love Finds You" series. I'd been afraid they'd be sappy romances, but I like Elizabeth Ludwig's writing and loved the cover, so decided to risk it. I was pleasantly surprised by this, especially the mystery that runs through it about what really happened in the mine the night Abigail's father died. And there were no untoward throbs and twitches and wild fantasies about "being with" someone...just two people who seem to find love pretty quickly while carrying on a ...more
Loraine
SUMMARY: A young seamstress weaves her own story in a world run by men. After hearing news of a silver strike in Calico, California, Abigail Watts packs up her needles and thread and follows her beloved father out West. But when she's suddenly left alone in the rough mining town, Abigail finds herself pressed into a marriage of convenience with the local livery owner, Nathan Hawk. Determined to uncover the mystery surrounding her father's death in the mines, Abigail agrees to stay in Calico. But ...more
Molly
Mar 27, 2011 Molly rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Molly by: Elizabeth Ludwig
Elizabeth Ludwig is an AMAZING author! When I sat down to read Love Finds You in Calico,California, I was instantly transported to another time and place. Elizabeth Ludwig filled this novel with everything from loneliness, heartache and love to suspenseful mystery. Toss in some good ol' Godly lovin, and this is a terrific read!

Abigail and Nathan's story is a tender one. Both are dealt some rough hands in life as they learn to deal with the grief of loosing loved ones. But is Abigail's father's
Title: LOVE FINDS YOU IN CALICO, CALIFORNIA
Author: Elizabeth Ludwig
Publisher: Summerside Press
October 2010
ISBN: 978-1-60936-001-6
Genre: Inspirational/historical romance

Abigail Watts is the only child of her mining father, and even though she’s scared of Calico, she stays with her father. She has nothing back East. When a mine explosion kills six miners and her father, Abigail is stunned. She is even more stunned when the owner of the mine refuses to give her the pay due, claiming her father caus
Casey
With a love story that was sweet and enduring and a suspense thread to keep the story moving, I was never bored while reading this book.

The characters in LOVE FINDS YOU IN CALICO CALIFORNIA stand on their own two feet and come pretty close to real for me. The chain of events that lead the characters through the story are in a domino effect and I was quickly swept into their lives and problems. When Abigail’s father dies in a mysterious mine accident, she cannot rest until the reason behind his d
Lena
It was absolutely amazing!I loved it soooooooooooo much!
Katie
With a dash of mystery, a pinch of suspense, and a mixture of adventure and romance, this book made for a nice, one-time read. It was the first “Love Finds You” book that I’ve picked up, so I was excited to see what these books were like. I am afraid to say that it wasn't the best experience...though it certainly wasn't the worst!

The death of Abigail’s father was sad. Even though you don’t get to know him much in the first few chapters of the book, he seemed like such a godly father to Abigail,
Kathy
3.5

I remember visiting a ghost town when I was a little girl and couldn’t help but wonder what the people had been like that once lived there. There is something very charming about old ghost towns, I love them. When I learned that Calico was an actual ghost town I was drawn to the story. I think that’s why I liked this one so much, the people seemed real and I was easily able to picture the old western town of Calico (where I definitely plan to visit next time I’m in the area).

I’m quickly find
Michelle
More like 4.5 stars

This story was engaging from the first page. I'd wanted to read it sooner but got backed up with other commitments. Having said that, I really enjoyed the mining theme in this story. There are a lot of mining towns in Arizona and I've toured several mines, so I totally understand the terror one feels in the complete absence of light. I don't know how people could stand to work in mines all day without going crazy. That said, I found the love story tender and enthralling, and t
Judith
Another light, sweet romance in the Love Finds You series. I think there needed to be more interaction between the two lead characters. They enter into a marriage of convenience where there was potential for lots of romantic tension but they spent most of the time avoiding each other. It was a quick, easy read with a little romance and suspense. There was lots of Christianity, but I ignored it.
Victoria
Abigail lives with her father in Calico, CA, which is booming with silver mining. At the livery across the street lives a widower Nathan and his daughter Lizzie.

When crazy things start happening at the mine, and when suspicions peek, there are fingers pointing towards Abigail's father being the fault of it. She and Nathan set out to find out the truth and get down to business. In the process there are emotions building up.

I don't think this story had a good build. It was pretty basic and didn't
Kristy
Apr 16, 2015 Kristy added it
WOW. Abbigail lives with her father. He dies in a mine explosion. She marries the liveryman, Nathan and cares for his daughter Lizzie.

Abbigail's aunts come from Virginia to try to take her home with them but she stays with Nathan and lizzie.
Trea
I've been up and down with the Love Finds You books, but all of them at least are interesting to read. This one was not. I couldn't connect to any of the characters, and the mystery plot was lackluster at best, because it was very easy to figure out the real culprit. I'm struggling to find any one good thing to say about the book, and the only thing I can come up with is that it did teach me something about the region and the history surrounding it. I was so disappointed in it, I wound up deleti ...more
Sadie Vanderkodde
Cheesy and predictable, but a cute, fun read.
Melissa
I really enjoyed this book. I love learning about the places the love finds you books talk about, and I loved learning about ghost town, Calico, California, and I especially loved the story.

Let's face it, we know how the story is going to end...the joy is in the journey getting there. I really enjoyed the plot, the mystery of the who and why and the ending was nice.

Definitely worth the quick read.
Carolyn
This says it only took me three days to read, but it really felt like longer. Overall not a bad story, but it did really drag.
Zette
Barbi
I loved this story! There was a little bit of mystery trying to figure out what happened to Abigail's father and what caused the accident. This was a feel good kind of story where you want the main characters to realize that they love each other. And, as usual, they are always the last to know!
Carla
This is one of those rare books that you really want to be able to give more than 5 stars. This was a beautiful and wholesome story of hope and faith. The perfect read for a weekend. This is the first book I've read in the Love Finds You series, but I definitely plan on reading more.
Wendy
This is the first book by Elizabeth that I have read and I really enjoyed it. I liked the story and the writing style. She held my interest with a little bit of love and some intrigue. A nice clean story with a little bit of sorrow always pulls me in. I will be reading more of her books.
Rebecca
What a delightful story. It's always fun to go back and read debut novels from authors who have started well and are continuing to improve their craft. Such is "Love Finds You in Calico, California". The history of the region was fascinating and Nathan and Abigail's story was a keeper.
Connie
Aug 31, 2011 Connie added it
I have really enjoyed the "Love Finds You" series. The books are "light reads", but I have found it very interesting to learn about the various regions that are highlighted.
Caitlin
An exciting book set in a small California mining town combining the suspense of mystery and the joy of finding love.
Susan
I listened to this on my iPod. The narrator sounded like Doris Day in the movie Calamity Jane... Kinda funny.
Judy
it was good in the begining but it started to drag
and it did not keep my interest
SheLove2Read
Jan 12, 2012 SheLove2Read rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Christian fiction fans
Shelves: 2012
3-1/2 stars. I enjoyed it. An easy read that wasn't overly complicated.
Linnette
Love the story! Love the characters! Definitely an enjoyable read!
Tammy Hensel
Great western romance with compelling characters. Highly recommended.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 2 2 Jan 14, 2015 01:12PM
  • Love Finds You in Romeo, Colorado
  • Love Finds You in Sun Valley, Idaho
  • Love Finds You in Bethlehem, New Hampshire
  • Love Finds You in Lonesome Prairie, Montana
  • Love Finds You in Liberty, Indiana (merge)
  • Love Finds You in Lahaina Hawaii
  • Love Finds You in Hershey, Pennsylvania
  • Love Finds You in Sugarcreek, Ohio
Elizabeth Ludwig is an award-winning author and an accomplished speaker and teacher. Her historical novel Love Finds You in Calico, California earned four stars from RT Book Reviews. She is the owner and editor of the popular literary blog The Borrowed Book. Along with her husband and two children, Elizabeth makes her home in Orange, Texas. Learn more at www.elizabethludwig.com.
More about Elizabeth Ludwig...

Love Finds You (1 - 10 of 57 books)
  • Love Finds You in Miracle, Kentucky (Love Finds You)
  • Love Finds You in Snowball, Arkansas
  • Love Finds You in Romeo, Colorado
  • Love Finds You in Valentine, Nebraska
  • Love Finds You in Humble, Texas
  • Love Finds You in Last Chance, California
  • Love Finds You in Maiden, North Carolina
  • Love Finds You in Paradise, Pennsylvania
  • Love Finds You in Treasure Island, Florida
  • Love Finds You in Liberty, Indiana (merge)
No Safe Harbor (Edge of Freedom, #1) Tide and Tempest (Edge of Freedom, #3) Dark Road Home (Edge of Freedom, #2) Where the Truth Lies Died in the Wool (Hometown Mysteries)