Start by marking “Final Journeys” as Want to Read:
Final Journeys

Final Journeys

4.37  ·  Rating Details  ·  174 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews

For more than two decades, hospice nurse Maggie Callanan has tended to the terminally ill and been a cornerstone of support for their loved ones. Now the coauthor of the classic bestseller Final Gifts passes along the lessons she has learned from the experts—her patients. Here is the guide we all need to understanding the special needs of the dying and those who care for t

Published March 25th 2008 by Random House Publishing Group (first published March 25th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Final Journeys, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Final Journeys

Shari Larsen
The author of this book has been a hospice nurse for over two decades, and in this book, she passes along the lessons she has learned from the patients she has cared for, and their families. She shares their stories with honesty, compassion, and at times, with humor. She empowers patients and their families to face the time of dying with less fear, less pain, and more control; her stories illustrate how to meet the physical, emotional, and spiritual challenges faced at a such a difficult time.

I
Laurie
Jan 28, 2015 Laurie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Maggie Callanan, along with Patricia Kelley, wrote “Final Gifts”, a groundbreaking book about how people die. “Final Journeys” is a companion book and focuses on the care giver’s role and how they can best help the dying and take care of themselves at the same time. She explains how entering hospice care is not ‘giving up’, what paperwork the dying (which is all of us, really) should have completed to make things easier for themselves and their loved ones, that it’s okay for the dying and the fa ...more
Stephanie
Strongly recommended for anyone experiencing a loved one's terminal illness. Based on Callanan's 20+ years of hospice work this book is full of meaningful insights and wisdom.
Denise
Oct 21, 2009 Denise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just like Maggie Callanan's other book Final Gifts Understanding the Special Awareness, Needs and Communications of the Dying this book was well written and sensitively presented. We all will face dying at some point, no one is immune, and if you have any questions about what "the final journey" might be like I would suggest this book. Warning: have a box of tissues close by. I lost my significant other in 1995 to pancreatic cancer, he had just turned 45 (I was 43). Up until that time I had not ...more
Minnie
Sep 13, 2013 Minnie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a must-own book because one reading will not give the full impact of all the wisdom contained in Maggie Callanan's imminently practical guide to the one sure journey of life.
The book has been carefully planned with clear sections which each contain valuable advice on how to deal with various aspects of dying. Although this book is primarily aimed at caretakers, even those of us in robust health can learn a little something about our own final journey.
What I particularly like about this b
Rita Marunde
Jun 02, 2015 Rita Marunde rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I recommend this book to everyone. I wish I read this book in my late teens. I would have been so much more prepared for what came in my 20's. Death is inevitable for ourselves and our loved ones. Having knowledge of what to expect can help keep perspective and enrich the process.
Christy
Apr 16, 2014 Christy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Christy by: Jana
This book really helped me process my grandmother's hospice care and passing. I started reading it the night before she died, but kept going because I found it helpful to read about others' experiences with death and end of life care.
Janet
Mar 09, 2014 Janet rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hospice is a wonderful organization. The nurses, aides and staff are incredible! This book guides the caregiver and family through a loved one's final journey. An excellent book!
Monica
Aug 01, 2011 Monica rated it really liked it
What can I say? When the time comes we all could use a little insight. Comforting knowledgeable experiences shared by someone who's been dealing with the last stages of life for decades. I first read a book this author co-wrote several years ago when my sister Aurelia was dying called Final Gifts. It was given to me by my sister joyce. She said it helped her understand. So when Joyce was diagnosed this summer with advanced-stage cancer, I searched for it and found this book instead. It was writt ...more
Julieb
Feb 16, 2015 Julieb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hospice 101
Susan
Mar 23, 2016 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful must read for everyone. Sooner or later, everyone will need the wisdom Maggie shares.
Phil Lawless
Not quite as good as Final Gifts, but it adds years' more experience to relate. Any one with a family member in hospice should read this.
Sandra
Jul 14, 2013 Sandra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an amazing book that makes the typically taboo subject of death and dying less scary. Maggie Callanan so gracefully addresses dying people and their families with such care and compassion. I hope when my journey comes to an end (nothing is wrong, but as she says, one out of one of us will die at some point in our life" ), I'll have someone like her guiding me and my family through the process. She is brilliant and must have a heart of gold!
Feb 09, 2011 Jennifer rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who has a loved one with a terminal illness
Recommended to Jennifer by: a friend of our family
I read "Final Gifts" first and now this book. I have to say it truly is a practical guide to the death of a loved one and I think all of her anecdotes would be helpful to anyone who has a friend or relative with a terminal illness.

If a friend of mine finds herself in this position, I will absolutely recommend this book.

Jo
Feb 27, 2012 Jo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read this book from cover to cover at least twice and have given away every copy I have purchased only to purchase it again, along with the second book on the same subject by this author.It has provided advice and guidance that has supported me through an unavoidable life experience and I think cope better in the days after.
Christina
Sep 21, 2012 Christina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this book the most helpful of the many that I purchased. The stories illustrated much more than the books that contained clinical descriptions of the practical and emotional processes surrounding death. I only wish that I had found this book sooner. The book addresses all of the end of life issues that I faced.
Libbydale
Nov 27, 2012 Libbydale rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A friend loaned this to me. This is a must-read especially if you or a loved one is facing the end of their life, which we all will eventually. I wish I had this six months ago to read. The author is a hospice nurse and much of it is based on her experiences working with families.
Jana
Apr 02, 2014 Jana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great book for anyone facing a family member at the end of life. This normalizes the process and offers great strategies to help your loved one transition while helping you to handle the changes your family is facing. Please read it if you need it or before you need it.
Lorri
May 01, 2008 Lorri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book for the first time when my grandmother was dying of cancer. Another great book by someone who has experienced the passing of many patients over the years as a hospice nurse. Another book I would highly recommend for families with a dying loved one.
Marie
Mar 12, 2012 Marie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Extremely practical and helpful. This book was a great comfort to me in my father's final weeks. I read this author's Final Gifts first, which was very good too. This is the one I'll recommend to people helping someone with end of life care.
Tracy Laverty
Feb 09, 2012 Tracy Laverty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this book an amazing comfort as we helped a friend through her final months. A must read for anyone with a loved one on their final journey.
Ross West
Feb 09, 2013 Ross West rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Highly recommended. It provides excellent information and is written with warmth and care. A book to use and recommend to others.
Diana
Feb 24, 2010 Diana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great book for anyone interested in the dying process. Especially helpful for hospice workers.
Charlotte
Jan 28, 2011 Charlotte rated it it was amazing
A wonderful and practical book to help anyone facing the death of a loved one.
Patricia Boyle
Mar 03, 2012 Patricia Boyle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Helpful advice for anybody facing the end-of-life experience.
Chanita.Shannon
by the author of Final Gifts
Suzqbee
Amazingly practical
Lisa DeCandia
Lisa DeCandia rated it liked it
Apr 29, 2016
L. McCorm
L. McCorm marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Mona Chip
Mona Chip marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Being with Dying: Cultivating Compassion and Fearlessness in the Presence of Death
  • Love & Death: My Journey through the Valley of the Shadow
  • The Sibley Guide to Trees
  • At the End of Life: True Stories About How We Die
  • An Illustrated Encyclopaedia of Traditional Symbols
  • A Field Guide to Wildflowers: Northeastern and North-central North America
  • Mindfulness Meditation for Pain Relief: Guided Practices for Reclaiming Your Body and Your Life
  • The Prison Angel: Mother Antonia's Journey from Beverly Hills to a Life of Service in a Mexican Jail
  • Beginner's Grace: Bringing Prayer to Life
  • On Grief and Grieving: Finding the Meaning of Grief Through the Five Stages of Loss
  • Lighten Up: Love What You Have, Have What You Need, Be Happier with Less