Start by marking “The Talent Thief” as Want to Read:
The Talent Thief

The Talent Thief

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  83 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Adam's sister is a singing sensation and he is her biggest fan. Unlike his superstar sibling, this twelve year-old boy excels at absolutely nothing, although his sister would argue that he's the master of getting on her nerves. But when a mysterious creature as old as time steals her talent, it's Adam who fearlessly leads the charge to retrieve it and stop the creature bef ...more
Published June 10th 2010 by Philomel (first published July 6th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Talent Thief, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Talent Thief

Clare Cannon
Oct 27, 2010 Clare Cannon rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 8-12 years
Shelves: 08-12yrs
Cute story with lots of great values... especially that talents are for sharing, and the greatest talent of all is to think of others before oneself.

12-year-old Adam Bloom has always considered himself an average guy. How could he have award-winning skaters for parents and a sister (Cressida) with a voice so perfect it can shatter glass?

When Cressida receives an invitation to the Festival of Youthful Genius, Adam accompanies her. He finds himself surrounded by so many talented children that he c
IndyPL Kids Book Blog
Cressida and Adam or orphans. They go to concerts, live in a nice apartment and have the money to do just about whatever they want and to have just about anything they could ever want. Everything except their parents. They do have an adult guardian, Uncle Brody, who really doesn’t care about them at all.

“You two talk too much…I want some changes around here. I want you in your rooms a lot more often. I certainly don’t want to see or hear you after eight o’clock in the evening, and there’ll be no
LH Johnson
I came across The Talent Thief in one of those random shelf-browsing moments and was massively pleased to discover it. I did a lot of work in the final year of my MA on gifted and talented characters in children's literature and The Talent Thief intrigued me from the start.

Adam and Cressida Bloom are orphans, living in a fractious relationship with each other and their guardian, Uncle Brody. One day Cressida Bloom is invited to a Talent competition to showcase her beautiful singing voice. And,
Book Elf
Feb 09, 2011 Book Elf rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children
Shelves: childrens-book
This book was a fast easy-read as the Silver Swift (racing car) of Amy Swift. A story about talents and the extraordinary talent thief that was bound to make a difference on the lives of Adam and Cressida Bloom; and Amy Swift and Saul Shafer.

I liked this book. While reading it, I felt I was reading the Mysterious Benedict Society but the on a totally wrong side of it. Because the main character here was absolutely plain, without any talent at all. It was fascinating how Adam Bloom displayed such
Kathy
Is talent innate, or something you have a passion for and practice hard at? This story thinks it is something innate that can be stolen, despite long practice. Perhaps this concept is too theoretical for middle grade readers to bother over while the plot barrels along. Adam Bloom, the central character, is known to everybody as someone who has no talent; in contrast to his older sister Cressida who is a very talented singer. Yet Adam demonstrates bravery, kindness, drive and an ability to reach ...more
Neill Smith
When Adam's sister, Cressida, is invited to a festival of youthful talents because of her incredible singing ability, he goes along to get away from their guardian uncle. But the festival turns out to be more of a collection of talents than a celebration of talents and Adam is drawn into an intrique involving a unique creature, a greedy entrepreneur, a fading race car driver, and a shepherd, and a search for talents.
Greta
It reads like it was written for children. Every emotion is overexplained and the dialogue pushes quips too hard. The flat characters aren't very sympathetic, and the villain is wickedly one-dimensional. the already-obvious lessons are written out in speeches given by the protagonists.

The only character I felt anything for was the Creature, the talent thief himself. Huh.
Kaitlyn Tiller
The Talent Thief is a really good book. It's about a creature who steals talent spheres and he doesn't know what he's doing and he just listens to his so called friend. But then he finds out that he can do better than stealing talents from kids. So the book has kind of a moral to it, Always find good friends who doesn't make you do something you don't want to do.
Loripdx
Jan 18, 2012 Loripdx added it
Shelves: gave-up-on
Meh. Read at least half the book and was bored the whole time. Sometimes juvenile books are very engaging; unfortunately, this was seemed to be trying too hard. Too bad, since the premise was quite clever.
Lisa
GREAT story! I'm keeping an eye on this author. Late elementary/middle reader. Admirable underdog protagonist and lots and lots of action. Could appeal to boys or girls, I think.
Jordan Arnold
28/12/07: I got this book for christmas from my grandparents and I hope I get a chance to read it soon.
Catherine
Cute story. Follows a boy as he goes to a seminar with his sister and does not fit in.
Ave21
this book was very exiting i wound recomend it to everybody
Nic
Great, loved it I am defiantly more like Adam than Cress.
Mica
my fav book through the summer!
PWRL
Jan 18, 2013 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2013-new
E
Stanley
Stanley is currently reading it
Nov 15, 2014
Marcel Miller
Marcel Miller marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
Manuel
Manuel marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2014
Jess
Jess marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
There is more than one author with this name
More about Alex Williams...
The Deep Freeze of Bartholomew Tullock The Storm Maker