For Good Measure: The Ways We Say How Much, How Far, How Heavy, How Big, How Old

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  44 ratings  ·  16 reviews
A bushel of facts and fabulous photographs make this 24 Karat informational book shine.

The mile gets its name from the term mille passus, whichmeans “a thousand paces.” The abbreviation for pound (lb.) comes from the Latin libra pondo. Feet, pounds, quarts, miles: these are words we use every day. But where did they originate, and what do they actually mean?

Once again, Ken...more
Published March 30th 2010 by Flash Point (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about For Good Measure, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about For Good Measure

Victoria Whipple
Robbins takes on a huge task in this book, explaining various types of measurement that we use every day. The book is broken down into sections that talk about different units of measurement: length/distance, area, weights, liquid measures and dry capacities, and finally time. The measurements he discusses are those used in the U.S., though he does give a brief discussion of the metric system and includes metric equivalents parenthetically when they apply.
While the curious students could easily...more
Heather
The information and photos were interesting, but it was a bit much for casual browsing. This would probably be useful in an elementary school math class.

Most of the pictures are fabulous, but why the selection of the thoroughly unattractive man for all of the human measurements? (Hopefully these are not pictures of Ken Robbins!)
Heather
Kudos to Robbins for writing a book about weights and measures for young children. Unfortunately, it was quite dry and the human-based measurement illustrations were a bit strange. I can see this book being useful in a school setting, but it's not something I want for my home library.
Allison
BORING! the first few pages were ok, but then it just went ON & ON!
Jacki
For Good Measure is a nonfiction picturebook written for primary readers.

This book defines units of measure and gives a history of what the measure was and is used for, as well as the history of the unit name. Many measurements we use daily have interesting histories.

The book doesn't have characters as it is informational and the author does an excellent job of describing the terms and uses of measures. The photographs used are very well done and add an excellent visual to go with the text. The...more
Derek DeHart
Disclosure: I received this book for free via GoodRead's First Reads.

I'm almost embarrassed, now, to admit that I had no idea that this was a children's book when I requested a copy. Nevertheless, the quick 48 pages offered up some linguistic tidbits even I didn't know. The simple (though informative, and never really condescending) language is complemented very nicely with lush photography that makes it either a worthwhile addition to a child's library or even a worthy coffee table book in more...more
Marion Bibliophile
This picture book describes accurately and concisely historical (not metric) ways of measuring. Including interesting (and short) bits on how the measurements came into effect, and what they originally meant.
Martha
This book will be perfect for text features with our new common core curriculum.....and will be perfect when we teacher customary/metric measurement. Wish I had it two weeks ago.
Nadiyah Alanazi
I like this book information about different types of measurement that we use to measure things. It is a really helpful book.
Heather
I was a "First-Reads" winner of this book. The first thing that caught my attention were the beautiful photographs! Great information, this book is full of interesting facts and is great for answering questions from those little, curious minds! My kids immediately loved the crisp, colorful pictures and I felt the layouts were very nice. This would make an awesome coffee table book, but is equally suited for a child's library. (If you can bear to give it up!)
Sarah Souther
For something that's supposed to be so precise, units of measurement can be pretty illogical. Anyone dividing pounds by 16, feet by 12, or figuring out what the heck a peck is will agree. Robbins succinctly explains a variety of measurements and their origins. Clean, uncluttered photos help readers conceptualize what they mean, such as the pictures of a buffalo and a VW Beetle to illustrate how heavy a ton is. Gr. 3-6.
Amy
Jun 09, 2010 Amy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: math
This book revels in the complication of English measures. It defines all the units of measure, explains their origin, and tells how they're used today, accompanied by crystalline photographs. I found it gorgeous and informative. I never knew that both "inch" and "ounce" came from the Latin "uncia," which means one-twelfth.
Ann Williams
A great non fiction picture book about measurement and the origins of measurement vocabulary. The photos are fantastic! This book will be used many times throughout the school year.
Donalyn
Historical, cultural, and scientific information about units of measurement. Informative, but not particularly engaging.
Patty
Great explanations, with both words and pictures, of how we measure the world around us.
Skedatt
Clear, concise resource to visually show non-metric measurements.
Sergey Danilevych
Sergey Danilevych marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2013
Tara
Tara marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2012
Becky
Becky marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Autumn Leaves Pumpkins Seeds Apples Food For Thought: The Stories Behind the Things We Eat