Start by marking “For Good Measure: The Ways We Say How Much, How Far, How Heavy, How Big, How Old” as Want to Read:

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  50 ratings  ·  20 reviews
A bushel of facts and fabulous photographs make this 24 Karat informational book shine.

The mile gets its name from the term mille passus, whichmeans “a thousand paces.” The abbreviation for pound (lb.) comes from the Latin libra pondo. Feet, pounds, quarts, miles: these are words we use every day. But where did they originate, and what do they actually mean?

Once again, Ken
Published March 30th 2010 by Flash Point (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about For Good Measure, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about For Good Measure

Victoria Whipple
Robbins takes on a huge task in this book, explaining various types of measurement that we use every day. The book is broken down into sections that talk about different units of measurement: length/distance, area, weights, liquid measures and dry capacities, and finally time. The measurements he discusses are those used in the U.S., though he does give a brief discussion of the metric system and includes metric equivalents parenthetically when they apply.
While the curious students could easily
Heather
The information and photos were interesting, but it was a bit much for casual browsing. This would probably be useful in an elementary school math class.

Most of the pictures are fabulous, but why the selection of the thoroughly unattractive man for all of the human measurements? (Hopefully these are not pictures of Ken Robbins!)
Heather
Kudos to Robbins for writing a book about weights and measures for young children. Unfortunately, it was quite dry and the human-based measurement illustrations were a bit strange. I can see this book being useful in a school setting, but it's not something I want for my home library.
Allison
BORING! the first few pages were ok, but then it just went ON & ON!
Naomi Gaca
For Good Measure by, Ken Robbins
This is a book that covers every type of measurement there is. It starts by discussing length and distance, then talks about area, weights, liquid and dry measurement, and ends with explanations of time. There is so much great information incorporated into a colorful and fun book. I even learned some new facts from this one.

I paired this book with...

Ernest The Moose Who Doesn't Fit by, Catherine Rayner
This book is a wonderful primary fiction story about a moose n
Valerie Barnhart
Love this book of measurements for young children to grasp the concept of fathom, furlong, league, hectare, section (for those non-farm kids), ounce, pound, dram, carat, drop, cup (for the noncooking students), quart, gallon, peck, pint, bushel, year, day, minute, hour, fortnight, month, and eon. The book is broken up into smaller sections with lengths and distance, weights, area, liquid measures, dry capacities, and time. It helps in showing pictures of relationship to the size or amounts.
Jacki
For Good Measure is a nonfiction picturebook written for primary readers.

This book defines units of measure and gives a history of what the measure was and is used for, as well as the history of the unit name. Many measurements we use daily have interesting histories.

The book doesn't have characters as it is informational and the author does an excellent job of describing the terms and uses of measures. The photographs used are very well done and add an excellent visual to go with the text. The
Robin
Photographs illustrate a variety of measurements, from common ones like a foot, to more unusual ones, like a fathom (week, fortnigt; teaspoon, drop; pound; stone). Definitions & origins of the unit of measure make for interesting reading.

For elementary age and older (not as much for preschool, though can share several pages rather than the whole book.)
Derek DeHart
Disclosure: I received this book for free via GoodRead's First Reads.

I'm almost embarrassed, now, to admit that I had no idea that this was a children's book when I requested a copy. Nevertheless, the quick 48 pages offered up some linguistic tidbits even I didn't know. The simple (though informative, and never really condescending) language is complemented very nicely with lush photography that makes it either a worthwhile addition to a child's library or even a worthy coffee table book in more
Emmaus Public  Library
This picture book describes accurately and concisely historical (not metric) ways of measuring. Including interesting (and short) bits on how the measurements came into effect, and what they originally meant.
Martha
This book will be perfect for text features with our new common core curriculum.....and will be perfect when we teacher customary/metric measurement. Wish I had it two weeks ago.
Nadiyah Alanazi
I like this book information about different types of measurement that we use to measure things. It is a really helpful book.
Heather
I was a "First-Reads" winner of this book. The first thing that caught my attention were the beautiful photographs! Great information, this book is full of interesting facts and is great for answering questions from those little, curious minds! My kids immediately loved the crisp, colorful pictures and I felt the layouts were very nice. This would make an awesome coffee table book, but is equally suited for a child's library. (If you can bear to give it up!)
Sarah Souther
For something that's supposed to be so precise, units of measurement can be pretty illogical. Anyone dividing pounds by 16, feet by 12, or figuring out what the heck a peck is will agree. Robbins succinctly explains a variety of measurements and their origins. Clean, uncluttered photos help readers conceptualize what they mean, such as the pictures of a buffalo and a VW Beetle to illustrate how heavy a ton is. Gr. 3-6.
Amy
Jun 09, 2010 Amy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: math
This book revels in the complication of English measures. It defines all the units of measure, explains their origin, and tells how they're used today, accompanied by crystalline photographs. I found it gorgeous and informative. I never knew that both "inch" and "ounce" came from the Latin "uncia," which means one-twelfth.
Maggi Idzikowski
A word geek's treasure trove. I was totally engaged. Example: "A fathom equals six feet... The tip of the right hand to the tip of the left... The Old English word actually meant outstretched arms. When we say we can't fathom something, in a sense we're saying that we can't wrap our arms around it." Awesome.
Ann Williams
A great non fiction picture book about measurement and the origins of measurement vocabulary. The photos are fantastic! This book will be used many times throughout the school year.
Donalyn
Historical, cultural, and scientific information about units of measurement. Informative, but not particularly engaging.
Patty
Great explanations, with both words and pictures, of how we measure the world around us.
Skedatt
Clear, concise resource to visually show non-metric measurements.
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
May 02, 2015
Elijolil
Elijolil marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2015
Kelli
Kelli marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2015
Marsha Lysius
Marsha Lysius marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2015
Gottaquilt
Gottaquilt marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015
Innsbruck
Innsbruck marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2015
Wendy
Wendy marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Autumn Leaves Pumpkins Seeds Apples Food For Thought: The Stories Behind the Things We Eat