Start by marking “Bear in the Air” as Want to Read:
Bear in the Air

Bear in the Air

3.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  155 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
When a teddy bear is lost by the child who loves him,the bearbegins an amazing journey to get back home again. From swimming in the ocean with the fish, to flying in the sky with the gulls, to being found by a sailor, and then being carried off by the wind, the bear meets new friends and travels to many places he never dreamed of.

Reminiscent of such classics as The Velvete
Published May 1st 2010 by Harry N. Abrams

To ask other readers questions about Bear in the Air, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bear in the Air

Heidi
Jul 02, 2010 Heidi rated it liked it
I'm back and forth on this book. The pictures are enjoyable to look at--such expression and a bit of run-on humor, too. The story is gentle (even with its adventures) and has a happy resolved ending. But I am the child who was deathly afraid of losing her toys. And honestly, what do I mean "was?" My heart still cries and wonders over what happened to the original Fluffy and Chocolate--and I still miss them. Stories like these want to send me into the panic I would feel over the fear of losing my ...more
Lesley Dahlseng
Jul 25, 2014 Lesley Dahlseng rated it it was amazing
This book takes us on a journey of a lost toy when a little stuffed bear bounces from a stroller. This is quite devastating for the toddler to whom it belonged. Though his mother's search for the bear is unsuccessful, a passing dog manages to find the bear and this is where the adventure begins! From sandy shore to ocean deep, then to a front-beak seat high in the air, the bear's travels eventually land it on a clothes' line along the pathway of our original two strollers. All anxieties are sett ...more
Penny
Aug 30, 2014 Penny rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
My kids love this story. The pictures are beautiful. The journey of the bear is fun to read.
Stacy
Mar 08, 2014 Stacy rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
This was a cute book about the adventures of almost teddy bear. I thought the rhyming was great.
Gail Cooke
May 06, 2010 Gail Cooke rated it really liked it
Every youngster who loves or has loved a toy animal, specifically a teddy bear will relate to this imaginative story with a happy ending. Susan Meyers relates her tale in easy to understand rhyme, beginning with "This is the bear that went for a ride. Bounced from the stroller. How baby cried!"

As it happens Mother was pushing her baby and his beloved teddy bear in a stroller along a boardwalk when ooops! the bear did fall from the stroller. Of course, Mother looked everywhere but couldn't find i
Mariamawit Habtamu
Oct 16, 2012 Mariamawit Habtamu rated it really liked it
This a fun story with rhyming words. Children can follow the story by looking at the pictures. It is about a Bear that got lost and ends up meeting new people in many different places, like in the water, with sea animals. He is finally found by a sailor and by a kind lady that hangs him to dry. He then comes home to a familiar place to be tucked and safe by the baby so it won’t happen again.

Learning Experience
We will read this book then come up with our own rhyming words. We will also learn abou
Joan Marie
Jan 25, 2016 Joan Marie rated it really liked it
Circular story of bear that gets lost and travels from one place to another before being reunited with child. Rhyming couplets used.
Meghan Hunt
Dec 22, 2015 Meghan Hunt rated it really liked it
This is a beautiful, well-written book. This would be great for both toddler and preschool storytimes
Elizabeth
Aug 26, 2010 Elizabeth rated it liked it
Themes: bear, travel, losing something,

With a storytelling feel, this picture book would be a good read for older preschool, early elementary with a reading of the book, and then a recounting of the events - narrative skills development. Maybe have a flannel board with the various adventures to which one would add as the story is read, then the group could go back and "retell" the story. Children could add/try to remember the details from book during the retelling. Children can relate to a favo
Joey Hines
Feb 16, 2014 Joey Hines rated it liked it
Shelves: family, bears
Used in family storytime on 1/18. The story of a bear who falls out of baby's hands, takes a trip out to sea, through the sky, and back again. A bit long but interesting enough to keep kids' attentions. Cool repetitive structure that helps keep them focused.
Nancy
So sweet and delightful! This is a lovely, lovely picture book, and if I had younger kids I would want to own this one. I believe I ordered it from library because it was a Cybils finalist in picture books.
Joanne
Apr 28, 2010 Joanne rated it it was amazing
Fun-loving text and charming, old-fashioned illustrations will delight young readers who follow the adventures of this little teddy bear who is unlucky enough to bounce out of his baby's arms but lucky enough to find some amazing friends who help him find his way by sea and air back to where he should be. Just enough suspense to keep young readers turning the pages as they read or listen to the tale, giggle, and then hug their own teddies very, very tightly. A winner!
Sunnyvale Librarian
Bear's adventure begins when he bounces out of Baby's carriage and lands under a lemonade cart on the beach boardwalk. He's found and lost by a dog, a sailor, a seal and a pelican who drops Bear into a lady's yard where he is pinned to the clothesline to dry out after all of his escapades. Baby and mother walk by the clothesline and are delighted and surprised to find Bear. This tale told in rhyming couplets is a delight to read aloud.
Dolly
Jun 11, 2010 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a fun story to read aloud, with a rhythmic and rhyming narrative and soft, old-fashioned pastel illustrations. Our girls loved looking at the pictures and searching for the little crab on each page. Most children, I'm sure, can relate to the experience of losing a treasured toy or "lovey" (at least ours can!) And this story, while not entirely realistic, shows a heartwarming reunion between child and toy.
Candice
Jan 07, 2011 Candice rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Sophie
Shelves: picture-books
What a sweet rhyming story with lovely pictures! A teddy bear falls out of baby's carriage as baby and Mom go for a seaside stroll, and goes on adventures up in the air and under the sea. The rhyming text reminded me of "This is the House that Jack Built." "This is the wave that came rushing in" and "This is the seal that popped up to see." The ending is not a surprise, but is charming nonetheless.
Josie B.
Oct 03, 2015 Josie B. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytime, 3s, 2s
Good for ages 2-5 years. Rhyming text supports phonological awareness. The plot's level of suspense is just right for this age. For 2s, pair with the Giant Pop-out Ocean or I Spy Under the Sea by Edward Gibbs for an under the sea storytime. With older children consider How will We Get to the Beach by Brigitte Luciani or Way Down Deep in the Deep Blue Sea by Jan Peck.
Brodie
Feb 09, 2016 Brodie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library-book
Beautiful watercolour pictures and a cute rhyming story.
Janet
Jan 17, 2012 Janet rated it really liked it
A young boy in his carriage loses his bear as he and his mother stroll the boardwalk. Now bear is off on seaside as well as ocean adventures and yes, the adventures land him safely back into the boy's arms. Great illustrations and great encounters with ocean creatures. Even the sea creatures have young innocent faces.
Hope
Feb 04, 2013 Hope rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
Loved the illustrations! We were smitten by the very first page. Fabulous little rhyming story, with an adventurous yet homey moral.
Adorable. We found ourselves saying "awww," with every turn of the page. Great details, extras, and fun concepts woven throughout.
Feb 25, 2011 Sarah rated it really liked it
The illustrations and the story work well together, and make this a simple and fun story about a teddy bear going on a trip, but I think they should have used a different font to distinguish the text. It clashes with the tone of the tale and the illustrations.
C.
Jan 09, 2012 C. rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Toddlers, parents of Toddlers & infants
Tracy
Jan 02, 2011 Tracy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
I loved this book. In fact, we got it from the library, but I'm thinking of purchasing it. The illustrations are precious and I love the rhyming text. The end of the book gives a great opportunity to practice recall and retell.
Donalyn
In the spirit of There Was an Old Woman Who Swallowed a Fly, this circular story follows a bear who is lost at the beach and his adventures. A sweet story for young readers or anyone who has lost a beloved toy.

Kirsten
Nov 08, 2010 Kirsten rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens
Reminds me of when I lost my special teddy bear after my operation a few years ago. Yeah, the sap in me hopes that Taddy went on a great adventure and found another little girl or boy to love him.
Stefani
Sep 30, 2011 Stefani rated it really liked it
Fun story of a bear and his journey when baby loses him. Fantastic for showing sequencing. The illustrations are gorgeous, with muted tones and plenty of details, without being busy.
Susan
Jul 19, 2010 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books-jp
Another addition to the stuffed toy having an adventure but the rhymes rollick and the ocean theme is just right for a summer read. Was a hit at storytime.
Connie
Jul 19, 2010 Connie rated it really liked it
Shelves: jv
Love the nautical design of the book, terrific illustrations. The premise of the trip the teddy takes is really unbelievable, however.
Susan
Jun 24, 2010 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The pictures are so so cute. I want the mommy's outfit. It's a bit nerve-racking - but don't worry, (SPOILER ALERT)there's a happy ending!
Boni
Jun 29, 2010 Boni rated it it was amazing
Shelves: prev-library-rec
Adorable- I love the illustrations and the cumulative but not repetitive text felt familiar, yet refreshing.
Leah
May 15, 2012 Leah rated it really liked it
A sweet rhyming story with beautiful watercolor illustrations. A gentle tale perfect for bedtime.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Bears on Chairs
  • Flip, Flap, Fly!: A Book for Babies Everywhere
  • Bedtime for Bear
  • Kitty Cat, Kitty Cat, Are You Waking Up?
  • Please Take Me For a Walk
  • Good Luck Bear
  • Squeak, Rumble, Whomp! Whomp! Whomp!: A Sonic Adventure
  • I Don't Want a Posh Dog
  • Dancing Feet!
  • Chicks Run Wild
  • Hot Rod Hamster
  • Chester's Masterpiece (Chester)
  • Ready for Anything!
  • Me With You
  • Nini Lost and Found
  • Stretch
  • How to Be Friends with a Dragon
  • A Kitten Tale
Susan Meyers is the author of the poetry collection Keep and Give Away (University of South Carolina Press, 2006), selected by Terrance Hayes for the SC Poetry Book Prize. It also won the 2007 Southern Independent Booksellers Alliance (SIBA) Book Award for Poetry and the NC Poetry Society's Brockman-Campbell Book Award."
More about Susan Meyers...