Start by marking “Devil's Due (Red Letter Days, #2)” as Want to Read:
Devil's Due (Red Letter Days, #2)

Devil's Due (Red Letter Days #2)

WITH HER SECRET BACKGROUND AND STREET SMARTS, LUCIA GARZA HAD FEW QUALMS ABOUT TAKING THE DEVIL'S DEAL...

The money Lucia and her new partner received to open their detective agency had come with strings: any assignment delivered via red envelope had to be top priority. No sweat. No one could make Lucia do something she didn't believe in--right?

Wrong. Lucia soon learned tha
Published January 1st 2006 by Silhouette Bombshell

To ask other readers questions about Devil's Due, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Devil's Due

AH
3.5 stars. Not your usual Rachel Caine book.

Devil’s Due is the second book in Rachel Caine’s Red Letter Days series. If you’ve read and loved Rachel Caine’s other books, be prepared for something completely different. The Red Letter Days series is more like a conspiracy thriller with a touch – and I mean touch – of the paranormal. No vampires, zombies, nor djinn in this series. Devil’s Due starts off slowly, especially if you are expecting a regular urban fantasy or paranormal book. It’s more c
Kirsty (Amethyst Bookwyrm)

Thanks to Netgalley and Harlequin UK Ltd for giving me this book to review.

Lucia Garza is stuck in the middle of a power struggle between two powerful but sinister psychic organisations The Cross Society and Eidolon. She and her partner Jazz have been working with The Cross Society believing they are the good guys however, she is not sure who she can trust anymore, even Jazz’s ex-partner and their newly hired privat
Matthew
Jan 21, 2017 Matthew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The psychic world will never be the same again...

But what are the consequences of defying destiny...?

Destiny + Supernatural + Action + Romance + Choice + Consequences = Devil's Due.

And if you're not sold yet, let me continue: Devil's Due is a fast, fiery paranormal thriller with a vibrant cast and streamlined writing. It's rife with thought-provoking themes, but never lets them overtake the overall fun and flirty nature that the novel embodies.

It doesn't top its predecessor, Devil's Bargain, bu
Naiya
Sep 24, 2016 Naiya rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
You know those brilliant first books where the mystery is explosive, the danger looming, and the characters thrown in the deep end, barely treading water? That was Devil’s Bargain, book 1. A fun, romantic suspense/action thriller that pitted ex-cop Jazz against her mysterious benefactor – a powerful organization with endless oogles of money that mailed her mysterious instructions in red envelopes. She could take the money and be a pawn, or she could throw it all away and be a target.

In book one,
Michelle (Much Loved Books)
I read the previous book in this series last year, Devil's Bargain, and have been waiting for Devil's Due to be re-released so I could read it. When I found it on netgalley I was very excited and requested it immediately. The Cross Society and Eidolon are still on the scene, and sometimes I got confused over what their initial purpose was and whether they were 'Team Good' or 'Team Bad', but as the story progressed it became clearer what side they were on.

Getting to catch up with Jazz and Lucia a
Lexxie (un)Conventional Bookviews
*I got a free ARC of this book from Netgalley in exchange of an honest review*

This and other reviews can also be found on my blog (un)Conventional Bookviews.

This was so fast paced I'm actually out of breath now! The writing is excellent, I love most of the main characters, and I think the mystery and suspense parts were so expertly done I could have never guessed any of what happened... Then again, my name isn't Simms ;)

Devil’s Due is even better than Devil’s Bargain, with not only one, but two
Yolanda Sfetsos
Dec 31, 2010 Yolanda Sfetsos rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bombshell
Can this woman write or what? I'm a huge fan of her Weather Warden series, so when I heard she was writing for Bombshell, I was ecstatic! And having already read, and thoroughly enjoyed Devil's Bargain, I was anticipating this one. And it didn't disappoint.

The tension in this book is so thick, it swallows you up until all you want to do is keep reading to find out what's going to happen next. Lucia Garza is a very interesting character with a dark past we only get a glimpse into. Jazz and Borden
Joan{missing the vampire bunny slippers!}
I liked the first book a little better I think. Reading from Lucia's pov was really interesting for a while but then I started missing jazz's firy disposition. Lucia is a good character and I can't complain about a lack of twists and action.
For some reason I can't pinpoint I also liked Borden more than McCarthy. Maybe it was the whole dynamic of the relationship with jazz that I liked but still... :)
Overall it was a good read. I cant wait to be introduced to the next amazing world Rachel Ca
Kendra /Books Complete Me
Great read

So not used to "series" stopping at two books. But this works... We got the POV from each protagonist without taking away from plot lines. Both books flowed together nicely.
Callender and Garza are two kick butt female protagonists in the lines of Rizzoli and Isles before they became a tv series. Put that with a little "Person of Interest" and you have Caine's books.
Rebecca Fox
3.5

I did like this book a little more then the first. Theses books are worth the read if you are looking for something quick.
Jessica Kunz
Jul 11, 2017 Jessica Kunz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Riveting

Another amazing read from Rachel. I loved all the action and how many plot twists there were. Enjoyed every bit!
Kathy Davie
Dec 05, 2011 Kathy Davie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, suspense, urban
Second in the Red Letter Days suspense series involving psychics manipulating the future and using the private investigating firm of Callender and Garza to affect the changes in Kansas City.

My Take
This is just plain scary. Two rival corporations playing power games using leads "seen" by their pet psychics. The original plan was to tweak what the psychics saw to ensure a favorable outcome. Instead, what their original psychic came to realize was that tweaking simply made things worse. Personall
Fangs for the Fantasy
Lucia and Jazz have finally succeeded in getting Ben, Jazz’s old partner, out of jail where he has been wrongfully imprisoned and his life threatened for years. It’s a difficult time to celebrate though, as the death threat still looms over Jazz, confining her to the office.

But the battle between the two psychic organisations – the Cross Society and the Eidolon Corporation – is heating up and getting ever more deadly, even their office is no safe haven. And, as can be expected from organisation
Tamara
Book Reading Gals
Title: Devil's Due

Series: Red Letter Series

Author: Rachael Caine

Genre: Romance, Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Blurb: The psychic world will never be the same again...

Lucia Garza is trapped in a supernatural power struggle. To save a friend she agreed to work for sinister psychic organization The Cross Society. But after a death threat that almost succeeds, she's starting to think they want her out of the way. Forever.

Donna
Devil's Due was a pretty nifty end to an interesting duology. Now, I definitely had a few problems with Devil's Bargain (it's predessecor), but I definitely enjoyed this a bit more.

Devil's Due follows the story of Jazz and Lucia, who start their own investigation company. In the beginning of Devil's Bargain, they made a deal with a big corporation. They can do whatever they want, but when a red envelope comes, they must follow the instructions. In return, they get a lot of money to fund their op
Ellie
Jan 20, 2013 Ellie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Devil's Due is the sequel to Devil's Bargain and therefore this review may contain spoilers for the previous book.

Ben McCarthy is getting out of prison and Lucia Garza is there to welcome him…and offer him a job. The private investigation firm she and her partner Jazz started is doing well, and it’s been a while since they received a red envelope. Until, one arrives containing white powder sending the office into lockdown and two of team exposed to who knows what. Whilst they try and work out wh
Shaheen
Oct 31, 2013 Shaheen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quick refresher: Jazz and Lucia have set up a detective agency, funded by the Cross Society, a secret cabal of psychics who are trying to prevent undesirable realities from coming about. They use people like Jazz and Lucia to do this, and communicate using red letters.

Devil's Due begins with Ben McCarthy's exoneration, an ex-cop who Lucia is instantly, almost violently, attracted to. This book narrated from Lucia's point of view, and I like her so much more than Jazz. Jazz's impulsiveness and
Becky
Apr 06, 2013 Becky rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to NetGalley for providing me with a copy of this book.
After reading book 1 yesterday I was desperate for more so as soon as I was up today I got stuck in, this book is told more from Lucia's point of view and it was an interesting switch. Jazz, James, Ben and Manny still feature but this time she is the front runner.
These books could almost be classed as detective novels with a hint of paranormal to them, but I still loved them. In fact I think I quite like the whole mystery detective t
Georgina Martin (Bookz and Bitz)

3.5 out of 5 stars

***This is book 2 in the Red Letter Days cycle, expect spoilers for book 1***

Firstly I was swept up by the cover of Devil’s Bargain (book 1) and seeing as the author was Rachel Caine I presumed it was YA. Wrong. This is not a YA series, but its not really an adult book either, its an adult themed book written in a YA style – if that makes any sense, the themes are less teen angst more, working life dramas.

The book picks up a little after the end of Devil’s Bargain, but instead
Angela
Dec 07, 2008 Angela rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, ebooks
Devil's Due is the second half of a duology of romance novels, Rachel Caine's contribution to the now-defunct Bombshell line. In this installment, we follow up with the team of Jazz and Lucia, who have been manipulated into starting their own detective agency with the understanding that at any time they may receive mysterious red envelopes--and that when they do, they must give the instructions in those envelopes priority over any other case they may have going. In Book 1, Devil's Bargain, we go ...more
Lisa Elizabeth
Katie
Jan 28, 2013 Katie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great continuation of the story. However, instead of Jazz’s perspective in this one we get Lucia’s and Lucia did not disappoint. Her love interest in the book was Ben, Jazz’s ex-partner, who also turns out to know more about the Cross Society than was expected.

I still don’t understand why Lucia was considered such an important person at the end of the story, I understand that the “legacy” she leaves is supposed to be important but I want to know why. I hope there is another book comin
a_tiffyfit
Description:

The psychic world will never be the same again...

Lucia Garza is trapped in a supernatural power struggle. To save a friend she agreed to work for sinister psychic organisation The Cross Society. But after a death threat that almost succeeds, she's starting to think they want her out of the way. Forever.

Worse, as Lucia uncovers the society's most dangerous secrets, she discovers that she's being used as a pawn between two warring paranormal factions. Caught in a battle no-one can win,
Sophie
Jan 10, 2013 Sophie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really, really enjoyed Devi’s Bargain so I was disappointed when Devil’s Due fell a little short for me.

Lucia’s narration didn’t quite sparkle in the way that Jazz’s did for me. Although she’s a great character, I didn't feel like I learned enough about her. It didn’t seem like she grew and developed enough throughout the novel. I was also really frustrated that we never found out what is was that Lucia did before she became Jazz’s partner after it was portrayed as such a scary, dramatic secre
Joe Young
Dec 01, 2011 Joe Young rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Continuation of the story started with Devil's Bargain staring the same cast of characters (less those killed off earlier) and new lethal characters added as needed to further the story. This episode starts with the startling disclosure of photos of photo's with date stamps that prove McCarthy couldn't have been the killer for the crimes that he was imprisoned for. A judge sets him loose and Lucia meets him as her is released. The story evolves with the warring forces, Cross Society and Eidolon ...more
Anya (An Awful Lot of Reading)
Devil's Due is the continuation of Devil's Bargain, the story of two women who play a very important role in the shaping of the future. Unfortunately the sequel does not let on to anything else that might make it easier to understand why the Cross Society thinks so or what the hell is up with Max Simms! At least we got some more of Manny and Pansy.

Devil's Due is very much Lucia's story rather than Jazz's which was weird to begin with but very fast you realised why. Not to say that Jazz and Bord
Cheryl M-M
Feb 05, 2013 Cheryl M-M rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the sequel to Devil's Bargain (Red Letter Days - Book 1).
In the first book I felt Caine had made a strong link to the older end of the YA market. This series has just the right amount of danger and spice without crossing the boundaries.
The focus in the first book was on Jazz and Borden, in this one we get a taste of Ben and Lucia. The team has begun to understand that they have been drawn into a game that they can neither win nor lose and whether they like it or not those red letters kee
Thamy
Jan 14, 2013 Thamy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rachel Caine is pure Genius.

If there is an author that never disappoints is Rachel Caine, that woman delivers an action/passionate and maddening good book every single time. You’ve got to love her. I do.

Devil’s Due was an excellent thrilling read that I couldn’t put down. Just couldn’t.
The Red Letters Days series remind me a bit of the film Wanted starred by Angeline Jolie. Don’t you think?
A world where faith and mathematics can predict possible events and outcomes, a world where you can be mor
Sienna Logan (Lost to Books)
For more of my reviews visit http://losttobooks.blogspot.com

This book was provided to me through netgalley

In terms of action and pace this book definitely lived up to the first installment Devil's Bargain. As the plot moved on the narrative got increasingly darker with the paranormal element coming into play more, which I loved. It kept me in constant suspense of what was going to unfold next or what Jazz and Lucia were going to be forced to do.

I liked the initial idea of everyone being played
  • Dressed to Slay (Darkheart & Crosse Trilogy #1)
  • In the Blood (Sonja Blue, #2)
  • Make Me a Match
  • Tomb with a View (Pepper Martin #6)
  • Angel Of Mercy (Mercy Hollings, #2)
  • Daughter of Destiny (Sisters of the Ark, #1)
  • The Neon Graveyard (Signs of the Zodiac, #6)
  • Daughter of the Blood (The Gifted #2)
  • The Network
  • Phantom Wolf (Phoenix Force, #2)
  • Keeper of the Shadows (The Keepers: L.A. #3)
  • The Medusa Prophecy (Medusa Project #4)
  • Incite (Ignite, #2)
  • Tamed
  • Under the Gun (Underworld Detection Agency, #4)
  • Black Swan Rising (Black Swan Rising #1)
  • Heart of Briar (The Portals #1)
  • Death of a Bacon Heiress (Hayley Powell Food and Cocktails Mystery #7)

Red Letter Days (2 books)
  • Devil's Bargain (Red Letter Days, #1)