Start by marking “The Conscious Kitchen: The New Way to Buy and Cook Food - to Protect the Earth, Improve Your Health, and Eat Deliciously” as Want to Read:

3.53  ·  Rating Details  ·  101 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Your everyday food choices can change the world—and make meals taste better than ever

For anyone who has read The Omnivore’s Dilemma or seen Food, Inc. and longs to effect easy green changes when it comes to the food they buy, cook, and eat, The Conscious Kitchen is an invaluable resource filled with real world, practical solutions.

Alexandra Zissu walks readers through ev
Published March 2nd 2010 by Clarkson Potter (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Conscious Kitchen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Conscious Kitchen

Teechbiz
Apr 10, 2010 Teechbiz rated it liked it
Lots of helpful advise and recipes from Emeril Lagasse, Barbara Kingsolver, Dan Barber, and others.

I found it very informative
Amy Chan
Jul 29, 2010 Amy Chan rated it liked it
"Not enough of us know that our salad greens and chickens are being dunked in chlorine baths to disinfect them, that bottled water is actually overpriced tap water shipped around the country in questionable plastic containers that taint their contents and overwhelm our landfills, that dinner might contain genetically modified food, that vegetables have been sprayed with probable carcinogens and possibly even chemical pesticides currently banned in the United States but still used in countries we ...more
Dana
Jul 11, 2015 Dana rated it it was amazing
Shelves: health-and-diet
This is a very enlightening book. Also a little frightening to me. It gives great ideas on what foods to eat only organic and which things are ok if not organic. It explains why non-organic foods are bad for you - and sometimes I think ignorance is bliss. It is interesting that canned tuna is healthier than fresh - because it is from smaller species w/ lower levels of mercury. This book has made me think about and become more aware of where my food comes from, how it is grown and how it is packa ...more
Tiffany
Nov 15, 2011 Tiffany rated it liked it
Very helpful reference for sorting out all those confusing, competing priorities and labels: organic, humane, grass-fed, free-range, fair trade, hormone-free, local, etc. to make decisions that might actually matter when grocery shopping and cooking. What do locavores eat in the middle of winter in northern states? Is it really worth buying organic veggies shipped across the country or around the world? What do all those claims mean on food packaging? It never occurred to me that maybe bananas d ...more
Kristen Ploetz
Apr 05, 2013 Kristen Ploetz rated it it was amazing
What a treat that I found this book at the Harvard Bookstore in the used section, though I would have paid full price. This is truly a staple for any person wanting to living sustainably, especially in the realm of food and drink and kitchenware/appliances. I have been "conscious" about such things for more than a decade now, but this book still had much information in it that I was not even aware of. And, thankfully, it was written in a concise, straightforward, non-preachy way (though the auth ...more
Jessica
Oct 04, 2010 Jessica rated it it was ok
Shelves: cooking-food
I was so excited to read this book since on the cover it said it included "...advice and recipes from: Michael Pollan...[and]Barbara Kingsolver...", but I was disappointed overall. Although there is some good advice on various issues with eating consciously, the tone of the book is a little pushy about everything. It is very important for me to eat humanely raised, organic food, but I appreciate books that don't try to cram that down your throat. For a lot of people converting from "conventional ...more
Lara Adler
Oct 05, 2010 Lara Adler rated it it was amazing
Such a great book! I was really happy to find another person who was so interested in ALL the different areas in which "greening" can happen in our life. Diet is important, but what we use to cook with and eat on also have a profound environmental impact, and Alexandra Zissu does a stand up job of laying it all out there in a fun and easy way. This is easily a book I would recommend to ALL of my health coaching clients!
Mar 18, 2015 Jennifer rated it liked it
Recommends it for: with reservations
Shelves: non-fiction
Very interesting book, nothing new in terms of information but presented in a different way. Thought it was funny that on the same page the author goes on about how bad bananas are in terms of their carbon footprint, a sidebar mentions a locally grown crop a consumer could try is the paw paw. THEN the sidebar says if you can't find paw paws locally, go to X website to order them! Um, contradictory advice?
Sophia
Jul 09, 2010 Sophia rated it really liked it
Instead of focusing on problems the way many food and sustainability books, which I still think is a wonderful to educate ourselves on the issues of these two, this simply advises you on what you can do to live a more sustainable and healthier lifestyle. Zissu has read many, many books and has conveniently compiled all of the tips in one book.
Faith
Apr 21, 2012 Faith rated it liked it
Even though I've read a lot of books on this topic, this was still informative and a quick read. It has a lot of basic information, definitions and reasons behind things I've heard. Like, why should I avoid plastic in cooking? What does USDA Organic actually mean? It also has a lot of great websites listed throughout the book.
Betsy
Jun 28, 2010 Betsy rated it it was amazing
I learned a lot from this book, but my favorite part was all of the resources. About half way through (it was an impulse selection from the library) I realized that I am going to need to go and buy a copy so that I can use it for reference.
Anna
Jul 14, 2012 Anna rated it liked it
Shelves: ag-food
I think this may be a good resource for those making gradual changes in their permanent kitchen; it condenses many different authors' works on sustainable foods and kitchen items. Some topics are covered too fully and some not enough, in my opinion.
Beverly
Nov 29, 2015 Beverly rated it really liked it
Lots of good tips.
Orea
Mar 10, 2011 Orea rated it liked it
A handy guide to all kinds of things that you have in your daily life. She presents her views very concisely and if you want to investigate things further she mentions lots of different web sites to check out.
Denise Klein
May 10, 2012 Denise Klein rated it really liked it
This should be a must read for every person who cooks. It should be the 'bible' for every person who owns and uses a kitchen. I realize that sounds a bit extreme but it opened my eyes to so much of what we do wrong.
Mardel Fehrenbach
May 01, 2012 Mardel Fehrenbach rated it liked it
Good concise introduction to the issues and a good compendium of information found on various sources. Best for the neophyte or relatively clueless. Not much new here otherwise.
Chade66
This is a great book for people who are just starting to wrestle with food issues like sustainability, organic, local and what choices are right for you and your family.
Sara
Feb 12, 2011 Sara rated it liked it
The food issues were not really new to me, but the chapters on cookware and waste were helpful as well as the all the resources/websites listed.
Whole Terrain
Jul 11, 2011 Whole Terrain rated it it was amazing
Whole Terrain interviews Alexandra Zissu in this blog entry
Karly
Dec 11, 2010 Karly rated it liked it
It was informative but so full of info that it isn't a super fun read!
Jack
Aug 10, 2010 Jack rated it liked it
Good green tips for your home, more of a reference book.
Felix Barker
Felix Barker rated it it was amazing
Jul 03, 2016
Candace
Candace rated it it was amazing
Jun 07, 2016
Debra
Debra rated it liked it
May 23, 2016
Cassandra
Cassandra rated it liked it
Apr 14, 2016
Nuria
Nuria marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2016
Jennifer Cassell
Jennifer Cassell rated it liked it
May 18, 2016
Gila Golder
Gila Golder rated it really liked it
Mar 09, 2016
  • In the Green Kitchen: Techniques to Learn by Heart
  • Spices: A Global History
  • The Locavore's Handbook: The Busy Person's Guide to Eating Local on a Budget
  • Rebuilding the Foodshed: How to Create Local, Sustainable, and Secure Food Systems
  • Wisdom of the Last Farmer: The Legacy of Generations
  • Growing, Older: A Chronicle of Death, Life, and Vegetables
  • The Food Substitutions Bible: More than 6,500 Substitutions for Ingredients, Equipment & Techniques
  • Change Comes to Dinner: How Vertical Farmers, Urban Growers, and Other Innovators Are Revolutionizing How America Eats
  • Heirloom: Notes from an Accidental Tomato Farmer
  • Turn Here Sweet Corn: Organic Farming Works
  • Don't Throw It, Grow It!: 68 Windowsill Plants From Kitchen Scraps
  • Stolen Harvest: The Hijacking of the Global Food Supply
  • The Complete Book of Herbs: A Practical Guide to Growing and Using Herbs
  • Plan Bee: Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About the Hardest-Working Creatures on the Planet