Start by marking “Through Thick and Thin” as Want to Read:
Through Thick and Thin

Through Thick and Thin

3.05 of 5 stars 3.05  ·  rating details  ·  202 ratings  ·  48 reviews
Stephanie is an overwhelmed stay-at-home mom with a six-month-old. Her sister, Meredith, on the other hand, is hitting the two-year mark without a boyfriend-or even a decent date-but has a successful career as a food critic. Sometimes it seems the only thing these sisters share is their mutual desire to lose weight, so they decide to do it together. But will the strong des ...more
Published August 7th 2007 by Penguin Group (USA) (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Through Thick and Thin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Through Thick and Thin

Ciara
this book? no. it was an astonishingly fast read, considering the fact that i felt i was being slowly plodded to my doom. i hated all the characters & didn't care what happened to them.

the story follows two sisters, stephanie & meredith. stephanie is a new mom who lives in the suburbs with her husband. she's always been happy & sporty & slim, & meredith has always felt that stephanie had the perfect life. meredith, meanwhile, is a restaurant critic in new york city. she's alw
Janet
SPOILERS!

I sort of liked it. I usually really like books about women discovering themselves and trying to improve their lives, but this one seemed to lack something--a bit shallow maybe. As always, the dog descriptions were the best and once he finally entered the picture I liked that sister much more (not a good sign that I've already forgotten their names!). I loved DOGA. Awesome. I was sad that there wasn't more to the sisters relationship. Yes, they find themselves on their own, but then I'
Lauren
This book is about two sisters - Stephanie and Meredith. Stephanie is a new Mom who moved to the 'burbs, quit her job, and is ignored by her husband. She is also struggling with her baby weight. Meredith is a single restaurant critic in Manhattan with a low self esteem. She is fat and ambivalent about it. The sisters feel they are growing apart. Meredith is jealous of Stephanie's seemingly perfect life and Stephanie is melancholic because she is not happy in her marriage but has not admitted it ...more
Bethany Andrews
Last year I read and reviewed Alison Pace's novel "Pug Hill," a book which I adored. I was thrilled to receive a copy of her new novel, "Through Thick and Thin," in my mailbox. Again, Pace didn't disappoint. From the first chapter I was connected to the characters, and was invested in the story through the duration.

The story is that of two sisters. Meredith is a successful NYC restauant critic while her older sister Stephanie lives her picture perfect life; the nice house, the perfect husband, t
Victoria
This was a pretty cute book - about what you would expect when someone mentions the genre “chick lit.” Nothing about it really set it apart. Although, my general apathy may be more related to my rather high hopes. When I read the description of a romantic comedy involving dogs and dieting, I thought there was plenty of opportunity for this to be a fun and entertaining read. It just wasn't that great though - I just felt like there was something missing... I don't know if it was the presentation ...more
Rebecca
The review on Amazon summed it up well. Nothing extraordinary here, just written well. I don't know if I agree with the last item, but the story was just totally blah. Might have been well written, but the lameness of the story brought it all down. You think I would be totally game for this (sisters! dogs! NYC!) but the reason that this story existed, that brought the sisters together was something I couldn't relate to or care, which was weight loss. Throw in the fact, that it was just an extrem ...more
Mindy
I picked this book up from the clearance rack and now I know why. First, pages 23-54 were totally missing and then pages 55-86 repeat. I can't believe that a publisher could put out a book this way. I don't think I missed anything terribly pressing on those missing 21 pages, but i guess I'll never know.

Now, that I've finished the book, it feels like something really was missing. I missed the whole part about Meredith's ex-boyfriend, so I don't know what happened there. And it wrapped up a littl
Keris
I loved Alison Pace's first two novels - If Andy Warhol Had A Girlfriend and Pug Hill - and I was excited to read this, her third, particularly because of the beautiful cover! (I'm a sucker for a dog on a cover.)

It's the story of Meredith and Stephanie, two sisters with very different lives, but one thing in common: they both want to lose weight. They decide to do it together, both so they can support each other and also because they've been drifting apart and think it might help their relations
Sharal Hunter
I've never read anything by this author before and I really wanted to like this book, but I had to give up after 6 chapters. When I pick up a book that I consider to be "chick-lit," I expect FUN and even though it doesn't have to be laugh out loud funny, I expect some funny moments. Wasn't getting any of that with this one. Way too heavy on drama so I will have to pass on this one and move on to something else. I have other books in my TBR by this author so I'm hoping there will be one there tha ...more
Gina Boyd
This was recommended on Jen Lancaster's (Bitter is the New Black and Bright Lights, Big Ass) blog, so I was hoping to really love it. It did get better as it went along, but it was a little too girly for me, and oddly filled with product and brand names, which was jarring.

I loved the dog, though, and the idea of yoga for dogs, or "doga".

This book was appealing enough that I will keep my eyes open for Pace's others, because she s a decent writer and sometimes a girly book is just the right thing.
Jennifer Burns
This book follows two sisters who are both on different paths in life as they are trying to lose a little weight and find themselves in the process. Although I would say that this is chick lit, the stories center more on the sisters than a love interest. I like that allot.

I am a big Alison Pace fan and this book does not disappoint. As a hug dog lover, I really like that her books usually involve some kind of pooch. Her characters are charming and believable. Thank you Alison for another great
Tracey
Through Thick and Thin by Alison Pace was a fun book to read for me. Stephanie and Meredith are sisters whose lives are on different paths. Stephanie is a stay-at-home mom who lives outside of the city with her husband and her baby while Meredith lives in the city and works as food critic for a newspaper. They each view each other's lives very differently which causes some problems but in the end, they are there for each other.

This reminded me somewhat of my own relationship with my sister.
Katt
I learned that the way we look on the outside is what is reflected from the inside. I love how the sisters both find what worked for them and how it was so unique to each of them. I felt inspired. I also thought it was great that Alison also brought to light the side affects that some of the more popular extreme diets can do to our bodies. It definetly is was a cautionary tale for me to be aware of what I am denieing myself.
Deborah
What can I say? I unashamedly loved this book about two sisters who attempt to resolve their struggles with relationships, identity, guilt, and ambition through losing weight and/or obtaining a zen-like long haired dachshund . A funny and endearing book - which is not very believable, but somehow by that fact allows everyone to relate to the women and most important to D.B. Sweeney, yoga loving dachshund.
Christy
A book about sisters who are both going through their own struggles and lose touch because of it. Both would like to lose weight, both are haing issues with relationships and neither know what to do about it. It's a good book, a bit odd at times but it was a fun read. I appreciate the loose ends at the end because I feel they leave you to make up your own mind and for me it is a happy ending and a brght future.
Satarupa
A quick and rather fun read. The dog parts of the story were my favorite though the author's reference to familar songs and her extensive knowledge of different methods of dieting was also very entertaining.
Lilly G
Hm. I wanted to like this book. It's about sisters who have grown apart but decided to diet together. Sounded like potential chick lit-ish fair with a Lifetime vibe.

It wasn't really either thing. It has very heavy/sad overtones (which I wasn't expecting), and most of the action happens in the last, um, 20 pages. But it was decent gym reading, and who doesn't love a book they were gifted in any case?
Jane
It seems most ladies I know have a tenuous relationship at best with food, and body issues to go along with it. This novel added sisters, romance, children, marriage complications, and career frustrations into the mix in a realistic, endearing way. Really connected with both of the characters, and enjoyed spending time with them. Satisfying and realistic ending as well.
Lauren
This is the second book this summer I've taken out of the library and had already read. I read it again because I couldn't really remember the story, or how it ended. It was enjoyable - a nice light beach/pool read. Now I sort of want to join weight watchers now. And become a restaurant reviewer. And own a dog. Perhaps I am too easily influenced today LOL.
Beth
I really enjoy Alison's books and this one's no exception. I love how I can relate to things going on in her books, even if on the surface the characters seem to be very different from me. And I am totally in love with the dogs she writes about! Makes me want to figure out how to hide a dog in my apartment!! :D
Krista
I found this one to be a great exploration of the life of the twentysometings, how your life goes in directions you never expected, and how the greener grass on the other side is often illusionary. There are a few phrases that really resonated with a lot of things I've been thinking about my life.
Cheryl
I wanted a good pool read for my recent trip to Thailand and this one fit the bill. Light but interesting. Relatable characters, wanted to know how it all turned out for them. Just enough message to make it a half step above complete fluff. Sometimes, you just need this kind of break.
Kimberly
A decent book about two sisters who used to tell each other everything, but not anymore. Not the really important stuff. Kinda slow going, but enjoyable. I did find the husband to be a little unbelievable. Can't really say why without giving it away. Nice, light summer reading.
Charlotte
I didn't technically finish this one. I quit when I realized I was missing pages 151 through 182. After 150 pages, I wasn't enthralled enough to feel it necessary to find the book elsewhere. Although I would have finished it, had I had a copy that contained all the pages.
casey
Jan 07, 2008 casey rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: for people with sisters
I really liked this book. Very easy to read and very close to home with the sister thing. I didn't like the abupt ending, but I just assume it ends the way you want it to. I am going to read this authors other book Pug Hill. I think all of my friends would like this book.:)
Joy
I got a bit bored with this one. You could see the ending coming screaming at you from the being. That isn't so bad if the trip to the end is engaging and entertaining (which is what this book was intended to be). And she is big on the mid-sentence-parenthetical-interruptions.
Tina
I really disliked this book. The two main characters were so annoying to me that I didn't even care to find out what happened to them, and I found myself questioning every decision they made and thought process they had.
Melanie
This book was cute and fun, but I didn't like it as much as Pace's earlier two - there was something that felt a little overwritten about it. I'd still recommend it, but Pug Hill was my favorite so far - read that first!
Margaret
Although this was more chick-lit-ish than I thought it would be, I enjoyed the relationship of the two sisters and could relate to them. Also liked the promotion of adopting a rescued dog.
Heather
This book was really more about family dynamics and substance abuse and less about dieting. I really enjoyed the dog and it made me want to do doga with Mollie.
  • Fate and Ms. Fortune
  • Sleeping with Ward Cleaver
  • Recipe for Disaster
  • Questions to Ask Before Marrying
  • Miss New York Has Everything
  • Younger
  • Crossing the Line (Jane Taylor, #2)
  • The Line Painter
  • A Clean Slate
  • Futureproof: A Novel
  • The Second Virginity of Suzy Green
  • Nose Down, Eyes Up
  • Why Moms Are Weird
  • Slightly Suburban (Slightly, #5)
  • Wonderboy
  • Morning
  • A Treasury of Regrets (Aristide Ravel, #4)
  • The Dark House
I'm the author of the novels If Andy Warhol Had a Girlfriend, Pug Hill, Through Thick and Thin, City Dog and A Pug's Tale . My essays have been included in several anthologies including Everything I Needed to Know About Being a Girl I Learned from Judy Blume, and Howl: A Collection of the Best Contemporary Dog Wit.

My memoir, You Tell Your Dog First, just came out.

I live in New York City where I te
More about Alison Pace...
Pug Hill If Andy Warhol Had a Girlfriend A Pug's Tale City Dog You Tell Your Dog First

“She's never really wanted to be the only person, she's never been such a fan of being alone.” 8 likes