Start by marking “Queen of Your Own Life: The Grown-Up Woman's Guide to Claiming Happiness and Getting the Life You Deserve” as Want to Read:

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  122 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Discover the Seven Best Gifts You Can Give Yourself

Queen of Your Own Life is a philosophy, a decision and an invitation to happiness for women who have made the tough but rewarding journey to the midpoint in their lives. Kathy Kinney (best known as Mimi on The Drew Carey Show) and Cindy Ratzlaff (marketing genius behind the launch of The South Beach Diet) have been best fr
Published March 30th 2010 by Harlequin (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Queen of Your Own Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Queen of Your Own Life

Heather
I have been reading a lot of heavy books lately, and while they are all wonderful, this book was an awesome change of pace. It was so much fun! Uplifting! Just something I think all of us women need (and need to do).

You’ll know Kathy Kinney from her role as Mimi on Drew Carey, and a variety of others. Her and Cindy Ratzlaff were friends who while on vacation decided they needed to queen up. (I totally had to throw that in. I love that phrase now!)

I’m 35 now. I’m kind of at the in-between stage
Sharon
Publicist Cindy Ratzlaff and actor Kathy Kinney (Mimi, from "The Drew Carey Show") have put together an entertaining little book that is more than just a self-help title. Drawing on their 30-year friendship, the two present advice on reclaiming one's life and wrap it in anecdotes from their own history to show how they reached their conclusions.

This book is aimed at women over the age of 40. Kinney and Ratzlaff maintain (and accurately so) that this is the age group that is invisible in our soci
Joemmama
Kathy Kinney and Cindy Ratzlaff have written a terrific guide for those of us that are grown up women! "Queen of Your Own Life" is not a diet book, not a self improvement book, but an accept who you are and enjoy book. It covers the seven gifts you should give yourself, from claiming your beauty, cleaning out your mental closet, to putting that crown on your head and having a party to celebrate you!

Sometimes, when life gets in our way, we forget to build our friendships, take care of ourselves,
Krista
This fairly short book lays out steps for women of a certain age (over 50) to reclaim their own "queenliness". While a lot of the concepts weren't new to me (be happy in your own skin, have a great group of girlfriends, attitude of gratitude, stop being a "people-pleaser") it provided an opportunity to review with my progress in those area.

I like the fact that they encourage women to celebrate becoming the "Queen of Your Own Life". It spurred me on to reach out to some girlfriends I hadn't talk
Dinamarie
Absolutely a fantastic book! Inspiring, uplifting, funny, informational. I am actually hosting an event for some of my girlfriends based on this book because I believe in it so much. If you have any women in your life that need to be reminded of how strong they are or are suffering from an lack of self esteem or just plain need something to believe in, this is the book. The authors expose the hard parts of their lives, revealing what every woman has gone through and helps you deal with it in a w ...more
Cindy
Not fair for me to write a review because I co-wrote the book, but I just wanted to say that writing the book, with my best friend, Kathy Kinney, changed my life. Finding the writer within, feeling the need to tell a story and finding a publishing home, was an amazing experience.

I spent 20 years on the other side of the desk, as a publishing executive. I've always admired authors. Now, having written something myself, I think you're all saints!
Holly (2 Kids and Tired)
A charming, thought-provoking book about life, friendship and learning to love and accept yourself. Kathy and Cindy are intelligent and entertaining and a lot of what they share isn't new information, it's just packaged in a delightful, engaging way. I think it would be a fun gift book and it would make an entertaining read for a book group, especially a group of older women!

Thanks to FSB Associates for the opportunity to review this book
Bridget
I had no idea how much your thoughts can influence your life. Every woman is a queen and should be treated as such. This book would make the perfect gift for someone who doesn't seem to understand her own worth. It's an amazing book with a great message.
Elizabeth
Fun, light read. Full of great quotes and incites. Sometimes you read or hear something that you know will stay with you for the rest of your life. This book has that for me. Here is the quote that jumped off the page and slapped me in the face... "Remember the old analogy of life being a tapestry? We believe that's true, but we think that most of the time we live at the back of the tapestry, where it's all messy, with knots and strings hanging everywhere, and we're just jumping around trying to ...more
Helen
I think that this is a good motivational book for the middle aged woman. In fact, I feel that it is one that I would like to keep and read often, so I ordered it from Amazon toay.
Christy Nevarez
I can't say enough good things about it. It was fantastic! I think it is a must-read for most women if not all women!!!
Dana
I recommend this book for all of my friends! it will give us a new perspective on life.
Roxie
And why do you think this one jumped off the shelf into my hands?
Vbledsoe
Loved this great, supportive and humorous book.
Alysen
It's always good to have a reminder.
Donna Milward
I loved this book. As in, I'm buying a few copies for future queens for Christmas and my copy isn't leaving the house.

This reads like a hug and a sit-down-cheer-up coffee with a friend. After two chapters, they made ME believing I was beautiful too. Not just "Yeah, we're all beautiful flowers" kind of thing. I actually believe them.

I'll admit, I had low expectations for this book. I figured some actress decided she could write a book with a ghostwriter and people would just snap it up. It's MUCH
Mindy
I absolutely loved this book. It was a good and funny read. I definitely recommend it for anyone that needs a boost of self-love. You could definitely turn this into an activity for church or girls' night (weekend) out. I don't think that you need to be mid-life to read it either. I think that it would help anyone of any age that may be struggling with the everyday grind of life.
May 19, 2014 Jennifer rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: favorites, optimism
The authors do an excellent job of relating to the struggles of all women, showing that we each suffer from so many of the same things no matter who we are or where we come from. Better yet, they show us how to reclaim our lives in spite of the circumstances of our lives. Everyone can learn something from this book, and come away much better for it. While this book is geared toward women in the second half of their lives, I think men and young women would also benefit from reading this and apply ...more
Kristina Simon
A charming little book that teaches you (or reminds you, if you've already learned some of these lessons) to stay true to yourself, especially during and after you hit middle-age. My favorite parts of the book were the personal stories that Kathy (who played Mimi on The Drew Carey Show) and Cindy share throughout the book to illustrate their points. If you're looking for a little pick-me-up (or a great excuse to have a Crowning Party!) this could be what you're looking for.
Matriarchy
Short. A lot of the same self-esteem-plumping stuff as other women's self-help books. More of a collection of affirmations to be repeated to oneself as one suffers the insults of aging. Basically advises you to stop putting up with dumb sh*t and find a good group of supportive friends. Good advice for any age. If you sign up for the Facebook group, you can get the affirmations sent to your feed periodically.
Kristena West
so far I am really enjoying the honest stories these two gals tell about not being "barbie' perfect growing up an d how, on reaching " a woman of a certain age" they decided to throw out the garbage of invisibility over 50, and change the way they think about themselves. Yes we have affirmations, but I tried it the last two days and am actually enjoying the one they give- only 1/3 into book.... stay tuned.
Kay Hudson
Brought this home from the RWA conference. Light, easy read with some interesting thoughts about self esteem, setting boundaries, and taking charge. Definitely worth reading.
Savannah Reynard
Every woman should read this book. Many thanks to Cindy and Kathy for their honesty and sharing. I truly believe every woman has the capability to become the Queen of their own Life, this book helps foster those inner capabilities. Learn. Grow. Shine. This means YOU!
Madelaine
ok book humorous, gives woman advice on how to make them feel better about themselves. If you are an emotionally stable person, it is basic knowledge that you should be good to yourself and don't let other people intimidate you or take advantage of you
Addie
I really enjoyed this book, it came from the heart of the two authors. It was straight forward and honest. It made me realize what I thought were shortcomings weren't but in the right direction just needing some twicking!! I'm glad I read it!
Annette
I'm reading this book as part of a discussion group,,, Target audience is over 40's... encouragement to appreciate who you are, getting past the 'youth'obsession of advertisers and enjoying life...
Laurie Gold
I reviewed this for Amazon Vine...you can link to it via my blog entry at http://laurie-gold.blogspot.com/2010/...
Luna Raven
A great start though for me, somewhere in chapter six it started to lose steam. A good read for anyone who needs a boost to getting happy.
Barbara
Fun read, more meaningful to me because of who gave it to me.
Abyr Ma
every single woman must read this book! life changing
  • Creating a Charmed Life: Sensible, Spiritual Secrets Every Busy Woman Should Know
  • Indian Summer
  • Experience Your Good Now!: Learning to Use Affirmations
  • Single State of the Union: Single Women Speak Out on Life, Love, and the Pursuit of Happiness
  • Nothing Left to Burn
  • Hail, Hail, Euphoria!: Presenting the Marx Brothers in Duck Soup, the Greatest War Movie Ever Made
  • Live Your Best Life: A Treasury of Wisdom, Wit, Advice, Interviews and Inspiration from O, The Oprah Magazine
  • Imagine a Woman in Love with Herself: Embracing Your Wisdom and Wholeness
  • The Five Lessons a Millionaire Taught Me for Women
  • This Is Not the Life I Ordered: 50 Ways to Keep Your Head Above Water When Life Keeps Dragging You Down
  • I'm Not High: But I've Got a Lot of Crazy Stories about Life as a Goat Boy, a Dad, and a Spiritual Warrior
  • What Happy Women Know: How New Findings in Positive Psychology Can Change Women's Lives for the Better
  • Haiku for the Single Girl
  • I'm With Fatty: Losing Fifty Pounds in Fifty Miserable Weeks
  • Better Single Than Sorry: A No-Regrets Guide to Loving Yourself and Never Settling
  • The Bodacious Book of Succulence: Daring to Live Your Succulent Wild LIife
  • Beowulf on the Beach: What to Love and What to Skip in Literature's 50 Greatest Hits
  • The Joy Diet: 10 Daily Practices for a Happier Life