Damaged (Kate Lange #1)

Damaged (Kate Lange #1)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  376 ratings  ·  90 reviews

When the grandmother of a lonely private school student seeks her counsel, Kate thinks it's just another custody case. But then the teen is brutally murdered. And it isn't only Kate who wonders if her legal advice led to th...more
Published June 1st 2010 by Mira

Tiger's Voyage by Colleen HouckTwisted by Sara ShepardHarry Potter Boxset by J.K. RowlingStunning by Sara ShepardRuthless by Sara Shepard
my favorite
45th out of 75 books — 42 voters
Evermore by Alyson NoelNorth of Beautiful by Justina ChenSelina Penaluna by Jan PageThis Lullaby by Sarah DessenThe Dark Divine by Bree Despain
Cover Couples
454th out of 703 books — 554 voters

More lists with this book...

Leah
Harlequin Books
"Damaged is a fast-paced medical thriller that introduces us to young lawyer Kate Lange. She's trying to overcome her past and make a career at a prestigious law firm when she's faced with a case that will bring up old pain and guilt ..." From a review posted by an eHarlequin.com member. Read more HERE.
Natalie
When I was first approached by a publicist to review Damaged by Pamela Callow, I was a little hesitant to accept. I tend to steer away from books that I think fall into the adult commercial fiction genre because they usually end up annoying me. But since Pamela Callow was a new author (Damaged is her debut novel), and since I had worked with this particular publicist before, I decided to give it a shot.

I'm surprised to say that I'm glad I did. I actually ended up enjoying Damaged a lot more than...more
Kate Lange is a first year associate at a high-class law firm who is embroiled in a mess – a mess she feels partly responsible for; a mess made by the Body Butcher…

The Body Butcher… did that grab your attention?

Kate is trying to make a name for herself at the law firm of LMB, but when she keeps getting handed the piddly little family law cases, she becomes exasperated. When her new client, a grandmother who would like to gain custody of her out-of-control granddaughter, who also happens to be th...more
Susan
Damaged introduces Kate Lange, a lawyer who gets involved in finding a serial killer. Due to her involvement with the grandmother of the victim and a slight involvement in a medical law suit, Kate feels that the police are missing something and goes after the killer herself. She does a better job of interviewing the witnesses than the police do.

My problem with this book is that it doesn't know exactly what it wants to be. There is suspense, but not quite enough. There is medical mystery but not...more
Michelle
Confession: I do not normally read thrillers. I like watching them well enough, but I've never read John Grisham, nor am I likely to. So why did I pick up Damaged?

Damaged is a thriller set in Halifax, my home town, and I will admit that was the draw. A big time trade paperback set in any Canadian city is intriguing enough, but one that isn't set in one of Canada's big 3 cities? And Halifax?

So that's what got the book into my lap. What kept it there (until long after I should have gone to bed) w...more
Kelly Boyce
An awesome, awesome read from a brilliant new author. A definite page turner to keep you reading into the wee hours of the night.
Cheryl
I started this book a long time ago. I was not feeling it, so I put it down. When I saw a long time ago, I am talking years. Not that meant to never come back to this book as I read another book by this author, the second one in fact and enjoyed it. I would walk by the book or chance at it from time to time and think, I need to try reading this book again. However my to be read pile grew and grew and I would forget about the book again. I finally picked it up as I was making a committment to att...more
Kristi (Books and Needlepoint)
Kate was a new lawyer at Lyons McGrath Barrett law firm. She knew that she was going to have to work hard to prove that she belonged there. Having recently ended an engagement to Ethan Drake, detective, she had got a new job, bought a new house, and acquired a dog named Alaska.

Barrett was determined to keep Kate practicing family law for 2 reasons - He had a bone to pick with Ethan Drake and with John Lyons - the partner who had recruited her. He assigned her a case with a futile outlook. A gra...more
Deborah Sloan
Kate Lange a young attorney hired by a big law firm finally gets her chance to get her career going in the direction she wants-litigation; when she’s handed a child custody case sought by a grandmother from an upperclass neighborhood. When the young girl is found murdered and dismembered Kate finds herself once again dealing with her ex-fiancé; a cop Ethan. Kate wonders if she is to blame for the girls death, just as she blames herself for her sister’s death 15 years earlier. When she is finally...more
Star (The Bibliophilic Book Blog)
Kate Lange is one of the newest lawyers at the Lyons McGrath Barrett lawfirm. She's got to work hard to prove herself to the partners and to herself. She's got a tragic past and after a painful breakup with her ex-fiancé, she's got a new job, a new house, and an adopted dog. This is two stories in one that intersect in a brilliant manner. Kate's got a new client - a grandmother who wants custody of her granddaughter from her ex-daughter-in-law, who's a judge. After giving the best advice that sh...more
Kristen
Embrace yourself for a new kind of thriller. Take part legal thriller and part medical thriller, you get an amazing combination of a fascinating thriller. That's what Pamela Callow did in her Kate Lange series set in Halifax, Nova Scotia. In Damaged, Kate Lange is an associate in a prestigious law firm and stuck with the family law cases with litigation dreams. When she received a case of a missing private school student, she's more than stuck in family drama, but she has issues of her own haunt...more
Jean
I think I found a new author to follow. This is the 2nd book I read. Read her 2nd book, Indefensible, first not knowing it was based on the same character so I went back and read Damaged. Enjoyed both books. There were actually two stories going on and then they started to connect into one. I do think Callow could have given us a better view into the serial killer than she did, developed the story a bit more,his background and how he stalked his victims. May have made the middle of the book more...more
Pam
A new lawyer with a major case of curiosity that gets her into trouble. She tries to investigate a case where she thinks she could have done more. She doesn't know who she can trust and thus, she trusts no one.
Can't wait for Pamela Callow's next book with lawyer, Kate Lange.
Linda
This was another medical based mystery involving a feisty young lawyer from a law firm. She is on the case and determined to solve it. She is writing more books with the characters from the law firm and police department. They should be fun to read as well. (2010)
Kirby
This was a really good book- I'd love to read more from this author. It was also quite interesting to see how similar Canada's police and legal systems are to ours, and to learn about the differences.
MARGO
Jun 29, 2010 MARGO rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: yes
what a wonderful book, fast paced with many twists and turns , intriguing plot, well defined characters, I look forward to reading more from this very talented Canadian Writer.
Saturnus
Just like its written on the book its a really strong debut.
A really great book with great charachters.
I recomend it too everyone how likes thrillers.
Julie
good mystery and good twists and turns--more to come
Cinnamon
The cover of a book is usually a good indicator of the kind of story I'm going to get out of it. In the case of DAMAGED by Pamela Callow, the cover portrays the feel and intensity of the book wonderfully. Just as the cover draws you in with the eerie feeling that something is going to go wrong and yet you can't help but go along anyway, so does the book.

I don't read a lot of suspense unless it has some sort of paranormal aspect to it. I don't know why - typically it just doesn't interest me all...more
Wendy Hines
Kate Lange is a new attorney at one of the top law firms in Nova Scotia. Being new though, she keeps being fed family law and is frustrated since she was promised ligature, but does her best. But when an elderly woman comes to Kate wanting to pursue custody proceedings for her teenage granddaughter, Kate directs her to family services. Unfortunately, the girl is found murdered days later.

Kate feels really guilty, but is offered a chance at a new case at work that could be just the ticket to show...more
Darlyn
Damaged is book series debut of Author Pamela Callow. Since it is stated as medical thriller, in a moment, it attracts my attention because I think I never read any a medical thriller before. I can't wait to read it the moment I have it in my hands. And boy, I'm not disappointed at being that excited. Yes, it started quite flat even the author try to make it like 'the situation' and it also flipping the flashback of Kate and the present. I know Kate is like a new heroine of the series, but it tu...more
From My Blog...[return][return]Being a fan of mysteries, thrillers and suspense novels I was quite excited to read Damaged by Pamela Callow as the description made the story sound positively riveting. Attorney Kate Lange is almost finished with her probationary period at finally, a large law firm, LMB, located in Halifax. One partner promised Kate she could work on criminal cases, yet Barrett, her boss, keeps her on family law cases. Kate has a troubled past and secrets from her childhood that s...more
Denise

2.0 out of 5 stars Boring and predictable., July 8, 2010

This review is from: Damaged (Mass Market Paperback)
This novel was melodramatic romantic suspense at less than its best. The premise: someone is killing and dismembering young girls. Is there a connection to the body parts/tissue procurement industry? Who is involved in the dastardly plot? It's an attempt at a legal/medical thriller but there's not much law and much less medicine.

The protagonist, attorney Kate Lange, is definitely an angst...more
Sheree
I'm a fan of the suspense/thriller genre but over time I have become quite discerning and tend to read mostly authors I'm familiar with and already enjoy. My favourite suspense thrillers are those with a medical or forensic theme, preferably graphic & horrific (sick I know) so the appealing synopsis of Damaged influenced my decision to try debut author Pamela Callow ... and I was not disappointed.

Damaged moves along at a page-turning pace but not at the expense of character development. The...more
Pamela
As this is Pamela Callow's debut novel, I have to say she did an amazing job writing an honest-to-goodness mystery novel, one that takes place in Halifax, Nova Scotia.

Kate Lange is a lawyer who is lucky to get a job at a very prestigious law firm. Top partner John Lyons is trying to make her his protege and gives her a huge civil case to help on. Firm manager Randall Barrett is doing his best to bury her in family law cases when all she wishes to practice is litigation. She then discovers that h...more
Cheryl "Mash"
Damaged by Pamela Callow
Published by Mira Books
ISBN-13: 978-0-7783-2750-9
At the request of Meryl Moss Media, The Book Trib, a PB was sent, at no cost to me, for my honest opinion.
Synopsis (back of book): How far are you wiling to go to forget your past? Haunted by the death of her sister and wounded by her ex-fiance's accusations, Kate Lange throws herself into her new career at a high-powered law firm.
When grandmother of a lonely private school student seeks her counsel, Kate thinks it's just...more
Lori
Damaged, author Pamela Callow's freshman effort at legal mystery/suspense/conspiracy thriller, started slowly but if you are patient, you will be rewarded by what became a page-turning, perfect summer read. It builds slowly, while painstakingly laying the groundwork on central character Kate Lange, her former fiance, Detective Ethan Drake, Kate's employer, and its partner, Randall Barrett, plus a bevy of supporting characters.

I found the murder mystery and conspiracy aspects of the story to be...more
Kimberly
Awhile back I had Damaged recommended to me and I borrowed it no less than 3 times and never got around to reading it until the other day when I borrowed it again after buying the third book in the series and I really regret not giving it a try sooner.

Damaged is a dark legal thriller that is set in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada and written by Nova Scotian author Pamela Callow. I mention this because I always feel the need to give Canadian authors a proper shout out when I can. This is pretty muc...more
Julie
What a debut! This first book from author Pamela Callow is sure to make you shiver......

The main character, Kate Lange, was an admirable, strong female character. She worked hard to overcome the personal demons from her past and would not let anything stand in the way of her success. She was beautiful, smart and independent. It was nice to read about a female lead that was not all giggly and sweet. One that wasn't afraid to take matters into her own hands.

As far as the plot goes, there were se...more
"Read with Me" Damaged by Pamela Callow 20 21 Sep 12, 2010 06:48PM
  • The Panic Zone (Jack Gannon #2)
  • So Close the Hand of Death (Taylor Jackson, #6 )
  • The Whispering Room
  • House of Fire (Unraveled, #2)
  • Down River
  • The Line Between Here and Gone (Forensic Instincts, #2)
  • Takeover (Theresa MacLean #1)
  • The Incumbent (Madison Glenn #1)
  • Victim Six
  • Sounds of Murder
  • The Goddaughter (Gina Gallo, #1)
  • Cold Midnight
  • Collecting Cooper: A Thriller
  • Blown Away
  • The Next To Die
  • Pandaemonium
  • Absent Friends
  • While Galileo Preys
In DAMAGED, Pamela drew on her experience working in a blue-chip corporate environment to create series lead Kate Lange, a struggling thirty-something lawyer whose career-making case becomes deadly as she uncovers a scam that rocks the foundations of biomedical research -- and puts her in the path of a dementing killer.

Prior to making writing a career, Pamela worked as a strategy consultant for an...more
More about Pamela Callow...
Indefensible (Kate Lange, #3) Tattooed (Kate Lange #3) Im Blut vereint Onderhuids (Kate Lange #3) Tourmentée:T1 - Les enquêtes de Kate Lange (Best-Sellers) (French Edition)