Start by marking “What's Your Sound, Hound the Hound?” as Want to Read:
What's Your Sound, Hound the Hound?

What's Your Sound, Hound the Hound? (Cat the Cat)

3.71  ·  Rating Details  ·  940 Ratings  ·  89 Reviews
Join spunky Cat the Cat as she introduces the very youngest readers to her world, where a surprise is waiting in every book.
Published April 27th 2010 by Balzer + Bray (first published April 14th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about What's Your Sound, Hound the Hound?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What's Your Sound, Hound the Hound?

The Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussAmanda/Miranda by Richard PeckElla Bella by Jennifer Kathleen GibbonsAmelia Bedelia by Peggy ParishNo Fighting, No Biting! by Else Holmelund Minarik
Rhyming titles
14th out of 20 books — 5 voters
Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise BrownClick, Clack, Moo by Doreen CroninThe Color Kittens by Margaret Wise BrownOne Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish by Dr. SeussMr. Zidderdeedee by Diane Page
Picture Books for the Sensitive Child
187th out of 215 books — 38 voters

More lists with this book...

Crystal Bandel
Oct 07, 2013 Crystal Bandel rated it really liked it
What's Your Sound, Hound the Hound? by Mo Willems, published 2010.

Fiction.

Picture book.

Pre-K to grade 2.

Found via Kirkus Reviews, reviewer not identified.

What's Your Sound, Hound the Hound? follows the format of a basic animal-sounds book, as Cat the Cat asks various animals what sounds they make. This portion of the book has a good amount of repetition and humor, and children will enjoy saying the animal sounds along with the book. When she gets to Bunny the Bunny, though, the book changes dire
Nicole Salem
Jan 29, 2016 Nicole Salem rated it it was amazing
“What’s your sound HOUND the HOUND?” by Mo Willems
Summary: The cat first goes to a hound dog and asks him what his sound is. The dog answered by saying “woof! Woof! Woof!” and the cat smiled. Then, the cat went to other animals as well to ask them what their sound. The cat asked a chicken, a cow, and a bunny. Both the chicken and the cow answered with no difficulty but the bunny stayed quiet as he did not have a sound to make to the cat. The bunny started to panic as the cat and the rest of the
Camila Bueso
Jan 28, 2016 Camila Bueso rated it it was amazing
The cat goes around asking different animals what their sound is. He asks the hound, the chicken, and the cow all of them responded making the sound they make. At the end, the cat decides to ask the little bunny what sound he makes. The bunny looked confused as he realized he didn’t make any specific sound like the rest of the animals. However, the rest of the animals didn’t want to make the bunny left out so they decided to hug him to make him feel happy.

For me one of the most important themes
Judi Paradis
Aug 02, 2010 Judi Paradis rated it liked it
A very easy reader from the masterful Mo Willems. While not quite as engaging as the Elephant and Piggie series, there is lots to like here. These are obviously designed for kids just learning to read. There is lots of repetitive text and simple words, but as always with Willems, a clever turn of events and lively illustrations. Do you know what sound a bunny makes? Think carefully and then read this one.
midnightfaerie
Sep 11, 2013 midnightfaerie rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
We love Mo Willems and have been picking up all his books as of late, but these are a little past us. We enjoy them, but a little too simple for even my 3 yr old twins. It loses their attention and seems to blend in with the other animal books we have, whereas Willems piggie and elephant books don't. Still, worth the read and a lot of fun for the younger crowd.
Russell
Sep 25, 2014 Russell rated it liked it
(view spoiler)

The names of the characters in this book reminds me of Kuma the Bear from Tekken. Kuma is Japanese for bear, making the character's name "Bear the bear". A Japanese American friend of mine in college was amused by this to no end, and would hysterically laugh about "Bear the bear", dancing around the dorm lounge as the character would after successfully defeating an opponent. Imagine if
Becky B
Cat the Cat goes around asking other animals, "What's your sound?" They reply with the customary moo, bark, etc. except when Cat asks Bunny. Some quick thinking on Cat's part helps recover the awkward silence.

A humorous rendition of the typical animal sounds book, with the comical animations expected from Mo Willems. A good pick for beginning readers as the text repeats and will be easy for little ones to figure out and "read along." (If kids ask, bunnies can make a screeching sound when threate
Ariana
This short picture book goes over the basic animal sounds that the majority of children know, and also address an animal sound that nobody really knows. However when Willems goes over the fact that nobody knows what sound a rabbit makes he essentially tells the readers that even though you don’t know something about someone they still like being accepted. Within his book Willems names each animal by their actual name (ie. Cat the Cat, and Dog the Dog) to help children learn the names of each ani ...more
Bbooker
Aug 24, 2010 Bbooker rated it really liked it
Preschool-K
In this simple picture book Cat the Cat asks each of her animal friends, “What’s your sound?” They all reply except Bunny the Bunny who is too nervous to speak. Cat the Cat and her friends give him a reassuring hug, with the fun continuing onto the final dedication and copyright page showing everyone enjoying a snack. The simple, rhythmic text full of alliteration (Hound the Hound, Chick the Chick) is easy to read aloud while the repetitive phrase “What’s your sound?” sets up a call a
Haizelbear
Jun 02, 2016 Haizelbear rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ed-230h
Cat the Cat goes around asking different animals what their sound is. Cow the Cow "moos" and Hound the Hound "Woofs". Bunny the Bunny doesn't make any sound, so all the animals give him a hug. The illustrations look like they were most likely created digitally. I could use this book to teach about animal sounds, and showing people kindness, especially when they're different from you, rather than laughing.
Matt Anderson
Aug 08, 2015 Matt Anderson rated it it was amazing
This fun Mo Willems book helps young children learn what sounds various animals make. As with the other Cat the cat book I read today, Pigeon (the pigeon from Willems' Pigeon series) makes a cameo.
kim
May 09, 2014 kim rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014, kids, picture
one of those books kids learning to read will love because they can basically cheat and memorize the whole thing. love the ending with the rabbit.
Kath
Jul 22, 2014 Kath rated it it was amazing
LOVED this for pre-school kids learning animal sounds. Very cool vibe, a hidden nod to Pigeon. Way cooler than any app.
jacky
Jun 29, 2010 jacky rated it liked it
Recommends it for: toddlers, preschoolers
Recommended to jacky by: story time
This was read at story time this week. Almost all the books at story time this summer are ocean or fish related because of the summer reading program theme, but because this was a newer book by a favorite author, it was included. I really liked how our librarian acted out the silence of the bunny. Also, I thought the ending was very much an "awww" moment.

Not as funny as the Willems books I have loved, but still worth the time. Interested in reading other Cat the Cat books as well as the Elephan
Angie Quantrell
Apr 21, 2016 Angie Quantrell rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Good for a beginnng reader. Some will need help decoding but simple to read.
Katie Lorsch
Dec 02, 2015 Katie Lorsch rated it liked it
Shelves: tommy, early-readers
My brother was reading a different book while I was reading this book. -Tommy
Cheyenne
Jul 22, 2014 Cheyenne rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens
A book about sounds. I didn't like it as much as the other Mo Willems books.
Asho
Jan 26, 2013 Asho rated it really liked it
Because this wasn't my first Cat the Cat book, I knew that even though it started out seemingly lame, there would be some sort of twist to make it worthwhile at the end. Sure enough, I was smiling as soon as I read, "What's your sound, Bunny the Bunny?" The befuddled look on the Bunny's face is great!
As with Cat the Cat, Who is That?, my son loved the pictures.
These books are obviously pleasing to the toddler set, but I think they'd be good for very early readers, too, as there is a ton of repe
Sarah King
Cat asks her friends to tell her their sounds.
Tracy Morton
Jun 15, 2016 Tracy Morton rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Kinda cute but really, really short.
Amanda
Dec 29, 2015 Amanda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: homeschooling
Super sweet & good for early readers.
Michael
Feb 04, 2016 Michael rated it really liked it
Shelves: the-kids-books
Simple, but charming.
May be too easy.
Monique Williams
This simple repetitive story would be good for teaching young children animal sounds. The story is could also be used to show young children how to support each other, the way they all supported the bunny when he didn't have a sound.
W.H. Beck
Jul 21, 2010 W.H. Beck rated it really liked it
Shelves: funny, read-aloud, 2010, k-1

Yet another superfun series from Mo Willems, author of the Pigeon, Knuffle Bunny, and Elephant and Piggie books. Also see, LET'S SAY HI TO FRIENDS WHO FLY, CAT THE CAT, WHO IS THAT?, TIME TO SLEEP, SHEEP THE SHEEP.

I can't keep up! I'm going to have to clear my W shelves at the library to make yet more room.

(blurb from Goodreads.com)

(32 pages)
Jun 24, 2010 Laura rated it really liked it
I love the characters in this book series. The cat is just so cute and I love how she interacts with all the other animals in the book. There is always a twist in Mo Willem's picture books and I wanted to see how he would wrap up the dilemma he presented. This book made me smile and I'd definitely recommend, it had a sweet touch and a heart-warming end.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2010...
Jayetta Carter-mcfarlin
I'd use this book as a read-aloud in pre-K and kindergarten. This author writes books that make it easier for children to interact with the characters. I could also use this book in Grade 3 -5 to study the author, Willems and his writing style. I would compare this book and the characters, setting, plot, and theme to that of some his other books like " The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog!", "The Pigeon wants a Puppy!" , and "The Duckling Gets a Cookie!"
Magila
Jan 20, 2013 Magila rated it really liked it
This is a fun, simple little book for early reading. There is enough repetition to help sight readers, and enough "animal sounds" to entertain kids too young to read. Amongst the pantheon of Willems books, these play a special role and are intended for kids moving from board books to regular picture books. The pictures remain the same odd, childlike style that you will recognize in his other works.

Recommend.
Libby
Sep 13, 2010 Libby rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
I wasn't sure quite what to think of this at first--the animal sounds part was ok, but I was a little put off by every animal being named "Cat the Cat," "Hound the Hound," etc. However, when I finished reading this to my two-year-old, he immediately took it from me, said "I read," and proceeded to look through the whole book again, telling himself the story--Willems obviously knows his audience!
Douglas Cootey
Mar 14, 2013 Douglas Cootey rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite Mo Willems books. That poor bunny! It was a great surprise twist and a wonderfully clever idea. Great ending, too. Again, Willems starts out with a mundane setting (what sound does each animal make?), sets up a rhythm (introduces three typical animals), then bangs the cymbals, or in this case gets very, very quiet. Brilliant!
  • A Dog Is a Dog
  • Max Spaniel: Dinosaur Hunt
  • How to Train a Train
  • Pumpkin Trouble
  • Dinosaur vs. the Library
  • Good Luck Bear
  • Little Mouse Gets Ready: TOON Level 1
  • Ride, Fly Guy, Ride! (Fly Guy, #11)
  • Up, Tall, and High!
  • Mouse and Mole, Fine Feathered Friends
  • I Spy on the Farm
  • Mr. Putney's Quacking Dog
  • Tiny Little Fly
#1 New York Times Bestselling author and illustrator Mo Willems is best known for his Caldecott Honor winning picture books Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus and Knuffle Bunny: a cautionary tale.

In addition to such picture books as Leonardo the Terrible Monster, Edwina the Dinosaur Who Didn’t Know She Was Extinct, and Time to Pee, Mo has created the Elephant and Piggie books, a series of early r
More about Mo Willems...

Cat the Cat (4 books)
  • Cat the Cat, Who is That?
  • Let's Say Hi to Friends Who Fly!
  • Time to Sleep, Sheep the Sheep!