Minn of the Mississippi

Minn of the Mississippi

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  388 ratings  ·  20 reviews
The history of the Mississippi River Valley is told in text and pictures through the adventures of Minn, a snapping turtle, as she travels downstream.
Published March 15th 1951 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1951)

To ask other readers questions about Minn of the Mississippi, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Minn of the Mississippi

Beth F.
Nov 21, 2008 Beth F. rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
This is the book I most look forward to reading with my future children. It’s about a turtle’s journey down the Mississippi from its’ start in Minnesota and all the way down to the Gulf. The art in this book is also gorgeous. Even if you never have children, never want children, hate children, I don’t care. You need to read this book.
Petergiaquinta
I'm not sure why, but this childhood favorite of mine just popped into my head today. My librarian mother first read this book to me, and I reread it many times, along with Paddle to the Sea, another great children's book by Holling C. Holling.

Somehow Minn of the Mississippi had managed to slip into a memory hole, despite it being one of my all-time favorites as a child. The Mississippi has always fascinated me, as have snapping turtles, and this book must be a big part of the reason why. It tel...more
Eric
I brought a copy via Ebay from the Holderness Library in Holderness NH printed in 1951

I know this is a "childrens" book, but not only did I learne to love read from this book, but also developed a love for reptiles from this book including a love for snapping turtles both on and off the New Orleans dinning table where its served.

The pictures and etchings and maps are amazing and its suprisingly deep for a "childrens" book about the adventures of a one leg snapping turtle (Minn) escaping to the...more
Jill
I need to comment first on the author's name, obviously. Doesn't get much cooler than Holling C. Holling. That is one bad-ass name. Now the book. I did not expect to like this. Not one bit. I've read other books by Holling (Seabird, for one) and enjoyed the illustrations he adds in the margins but I wasn't particularly looking forward to a story of a turtle's journey down the Mississippi. How interesting could that be? Kept my attention from start to finish. MUCH better than Seabird.

"...white f...more
Jackmccullough
Good, but I don't think it's a match for Paddle to the Sea by the same author.
Treplovski
Oct 13, 2008 Treplovski rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Treplovski by: It must have been God. Yeah, I'm pretty sure it had to be God.
Shelves: must-read
I cannot praise Holling Clancy Holling enough. As the lone first-grader in a one-room country schoolhouse, (the last generation to attend there) I discovered this enormous, lavish picture-and-text book in the two shelves that were our library, and hurried daily to finish my lessons so I could sit in that alcove with that huge miraculous book on my knees, poring over it in absolute wonder. "Minn" was truly a multi-media experience before the term came into being; each chapter opening with a spect...more
Walt Giersbach
New writers are given basic advice to “write what you know.” This was key to Holling Clancy Holling’s career as a writer, illustrator and naturalist. He was first an inquisitive child growing up in rural Michigan and, second, one who learned skills at the hands of his family, relatives, co-workers and Native-American friends. The insights we gain by reading Minn of the Mississippi, Paddle-to-the-Sea and Seabird could only have come from a person who had hands-on knowledge of his environment and...more
Alessandra
This lyrical, beautiful, evocative book is a real treasure. A story of the life of a snapping turtle from the headwaters of the Mississippi River in Minnesota to its mouth in Louisiana, Minn of the Mississippi holds a wealth of information about the history and ecology of the largest river in North America.

Holling's atmospheric watercolors depict not only the factual geography and biology of the river, but also helpful bits of folklore and mapping. I still see a bear balancing on its nose whenev...more
Amy
Read for Spr 2012 Co-op class on the Mississippi River.
As with his other books, the b&w line drawings are THE reason to read it. The captions alone are a treasure of interesting tangents. The story is obtuse at times and the dialogue is old-fashioned (and even un-PC at times) but if you put in the effort to understand it, it is an amazing blend of topics that show a real picture of a subject.

Updated: Read again for Book Club 5/2014
B, age 10, review: I would rate it 3 stars. It was a pretty...more
Renae
Excellent way to learn about the Mississippi River, where it begins and ends, and lots about turtles. We used this as part of our homeschool curriculum in first grade, though an older student would get a lot from it too.
David
The adventures of a three-legged snapping turtle as she travels from the headwaters to the mouth of the Mississippi River illustrate the life cycle of the turtle and the geography, history, geology, and climate of the Mighty Mississippi. (Goodreads Summary)

One of my favorite books growing up just a couple miles from the Mississippi River in Illinois. The wonderful paintings, etchings and maps were wonderous for this time period and really brought me into the story. For grades 4 and up.
Joyce
Jan 16, 2014 Joyce marked it as homeschool-past  ·  review of another edition
Goos
Maryann
Holling is a naturalist after my own heart. Not only does he educate you about Snapping Turtles (A Snapper's water-pie for dinner) but you get also get a history lesson. I highly recommend this book for any child that is interested in reptiles and history. Great illustration's by Holling as well.
Melissa
It is a beautifully written story with lots of history and great information. I just couldn't follow it or get into the storyline. It's about a turtle going down the Mississippi River from St. Paul to Baton Rouge. Yes, I learned some things, but I didn't enjoy it.
Pamela
An excellent read-aloud book about a snapping turtle, Minn's adventures down the Mississippi River can add more turtle information and U.S. geography to your studies.
Catherine  Mustread
Aug 11, 2009 Catherine Mustread rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Grades 4+
My home-schooled niece read this as a fourth grade geography study and I read along. Loved reading about the 25-year journey in the life of a turtle.
Johannes Kristian
Own.Boring boring.it had twenty chapters! one chapter a thursday and i finally did it.hard work reading.oh yes. byebye!
Taylor
I have never read this book but my sister read it and I dont think she liked it but she doesn't like anything that involves reading...
Lizzy
I like stories you have a fun time with but you learn about things like animals, history, and so forth.
Claire
I thought it was interesting; however, my girls are happy that we have finally finished the book.
Chris
Chris added it
Aug 28, 2014
Kathleen Kaiser
Kathleen Kaiser marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Angela Johnsonkiele
Angela Johnsonkiele marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Lynn
Lynn marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
  • Hurry Home, Candy
  • Abraham Lincoln's World
  • The Hidden Treasure of Glaston
  • The Golden Name Day
  • The Silver Pencil
  • Swift Rivers
  • Tree of Freedom
  • Downright Dencey (Young Adult Library)
  • The Noonday Friends
  • Zlateh the Goat and Other Stories
  • Volcano: The Eruption and Healing of Mount St. Helens
  • Sugaring Time
  • The Perilous Road
Born in Jackson County, Michigan, in 1900, Holling Clancy Holling graduated from the Art Institute of Chicago in 1923. He then worked in a taxidermy department of the Field Museum of Natural History in Chicago and spent time working in anthropology under Dr. Ralph Linton.

During this period, he married Lucille Webster, and within a year of their marriage accepted a position as art instructor on th...more
More about Holling Clancy Holling...
Paddle-to-the-Sea Seabird Tree in the Trail Pagoo The Book of Indians