Start by marking “Dialogues Concerning Two New Sciences (On the Shoulders of Giants Series)” as Want to Read:
Dialogues Concerning Two New Sciences (On the Shoulders of Giants Series)

Dialogues Concerning Two New Sciences (On the Shoulders of Giants Series)

4.07  ·  Rating Details ·  1,017 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
This is the standard translation of one of the greatest single works by one of Western science's greatest single men, the Renaissance physicist Galileo Galilei. Written near the end of his life, the book had to be published abroad and led to Galileo's condemnation. But he nevertheless considered it to be "superior to everything else of mine published."

Despite the fact that

Published January 1st 2005 by Perseus Publishing (first published 1632)

Roy Lotz
I should think that anyone who considered it more reasonable for the whole universe to move in order to let the earth remain fixed would be more irrational than one who should climb to the top of your cupola just to get a view of the city and its environs, and then demand that the whole countryside should revolve around him so that he would not have to take the trouble to turn his head.

It often seems hard to justify reading old works of science. After all, science continually advances; pioneer
Manny
Jul 07, 2013 Manny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone seriously interested in the history of science
Recommended to Manny by: Bertrand Russell, A.D. White, David Wallace and others
[A pleasant Venetian villa; through the open window, we see tourists photographing each other with their iPads while gondolas traverse a canal in the background. SALVIATI effusively greets his guests, SAGREDO and SIMPLICIO]

SALVIATI: Welcome, dear friends, and many thanks for answering my urgent convocation! It is my earnest wish that we now devote some hours to mutual discussion, as we have so often done before, but this time on a different topic: to wit, that book written by Galileo in 1629, wh
Gary
Nov 11, 2015 Gary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: physical
The end of Scholasticism starts with this book. The Aristotelian thought (or as the book usually calls them The Peripatetics) and its appeal to authority and the appearance of the phenomena as truth are overturned. Sometimes what we see (such as the sun rising in the east) is not what is.

I loved the way Galileo uses the Aristotelian logic to poke holes in the Ptolemaic science (particularly, using proof by contradiction). Often in the other books I've read they'll make a statement such that Gal
Jonathan
Mar 18, 2011 Jonathan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Why hadn't I read this book before? Not just one of the greatest texts in the history of science but fabulously written and entertaining as a dialogue. We hear about Galileo in high school, but that isn't like getting it right from the source.
Pandiya
Aug 22, 2012 Pandiya marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I have read only first ten pages of the book.
David
Jan 22, 2013 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Two New Sciences is definitely a unique physical treatise in that it is written as a Platonic style dialogue. As the title suggests, the dialogue serves to highlight a shift in thought and the format does prove suitable to allow ideas and opinions to clash freely. Simplicio is the clear-cut Aristotelian of the group. Sagredo and Salviati seem like mouthpieces for conflicting ideas with which Galileo himself had to reckon to arrive at his conclusions which are given in the text written by the "Ac ...more
Mark Woodland
Jul 28, 2011 Mark Woodland rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is still a fascinating read over 400 years later. They don't write them like this anymore; the classic "dialogue" format that one finds in classic writings such as those by Plato was not in general use. However, given the clash between the two dominant models of the order of the universe at the time, it was a perfect choice, and well "argued" on each side. Of course, the Copernican system was proved out, but the process by which it was done is an excellent example of the use of logic, and t ...more
Brian Maicke
May 25, 2009 Brian Maicke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book to start with for those interested in the scientific classics. Written as a dialogue and in the vernacular rather than Latin, Dialogues is a much more accessible read than the Copernicus text I started with. There is still a bit of geometry that may be off putting to some readers, but even those without a science background should be able to follow the discussion if they have an interest.
Khalil
Jul 05, 2013 Khalil rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
According to Socrates Everybody can grasp philosophical truths if they just use their innate reason , and that is what Galileo " tried " to do with Simplicio , he ( Galileo ) worked exactly like Socrates ( and his mother before him ) as a midwife , and tried to give birth to Simplicio`s reason in time which scriptures was sacred and reason was forbidden .
James Violand
May 20, 2011 James Violand rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone.
Shelves: own
Believe it or not, I found this to be one of the most interesting books I have ever read. Easily understood, it is a seminal work in the history of science. Excellent.
Sid Nuncius
Oct 24, 2015 Sid Nuncius rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's not the most alluring of titles, I admit, and even though most people have heard of Galileo and many know enough of his achievements to admire him, I suspect few people would consider reading a book by him. However, I urge you very strongly to buy this book and at least give it a try. It's a wonderful work, full of fascinating and brilliant insights and Stillman Drake's superlative translation makes it extremely readable. It gives a fascinating insight into what Galileo *really* did to anno ...more
Matt
Jul 22, 2012 Matt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Salviati, Sagredo and Simplicio serve as Galileo’s vehicles to discuss the conflict between the Ptolemic/ Aristotelian universe and the Copernican. Separated into discussions over four days, Salviati is Galileo’s proxy as he disassembles Simplicio’s geocentrism to win over the undecided Sagredo.

The first day is a lively debate which sets the stage for the intellectual battle between established “scientific” belief and the persuasiveness of observable and geometric facts. With only polite restra
Sean
Oct 06, 2012 Sean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For genius level of thought and scientific practice, this is obviously five stars. I give it four only because for a modern reader, it does go on a bit. Despite that, it's very readable for a 400 year old book. And the length is interesting because it's caused by the extensive nature of the arguments Galileo had to make to convince people of this crazy proposition that the Earth moves. Though not an idea original to Galileo, even in his time it was not something people believed. Galileo used act ...more
Autumn Meier
Mar 11, 2016 Autumn Meier rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
These sort of books are a bit tricky for me. On one hand, I ask myself how the ancients--or even those in Galilei's time--could believe that the earth was the center of the universe. But that wondering quickly ceases when I realize how little I understand. I mean, when I read Galilei, or Turing, or Einstein, I wonder how on earth I'll contribute anything to the human race when I've spent my life thus far just trying to wrap my head around what we've already learned. And anyways, I'm sure people ...more
JP
May 18, 2013 JP rated it really liked it
A review of all of the learning of his youth, he writes this as a dialogue between three scientific explorers playing the role of teacher, experimenter, and student. He covers a lot of content in relatively few pages. More than anything else here, we see the process of the curious mind discovering physical truth incrementally through experimentation. Consider the humorous example of he and his friend convincing themselves that light probably is instantaneous as a result of their distant lantern ...more
Hangci Du
总评:

原书成书于1638年。(牛顿作品之前五十年)
读这本书的缘起,是想要寻找牛顿“力”“惯性”观念的源头,但略失望,伽利略并没有明晰地指出这些概念。伽利略最大的功绩,是首次研究了运动学的规律,然而对于“力”在运动中的应用则很少,也没有明确指明。因此还需要读更多资料研究牛顿“力的加速度表述”的观念源头。
在山西科学技术出版社的《科学名著赏析 物理卷》中我明白,这里的“两种信科学”指的是材料力学和动力学。“伽利略是用力的观念研究运动的第一人,是动力学的奠基人”(拉格朗日《分析力学》)。本书写于伽利略去世前,是伽利略一生研究的集大成。体裁是三人四天的对话(与其之前的作品《托勒密哥白尼对话》是相同体裁)。这种体裁的缺点就是不够明朗啊~
伽利略科学观受到三大思想影响:亚里士多德的思辨,欧几里得的几何,阿基米德的静力学。
(第三第四日所讨论是我所感兴趣的(分别是运动学和动力学r),一二日所讨论的均是来自工程学的静力
Zach
Sep 15, 2013 Zach rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, science
Galileo is brilliant and surprisingly clear in his exposition of the Copernican system against the Aristotelian/Ptolemaic. The dialogue form suits the discussion well - Salviati makes some impressive deduction, Sagredo exclaims how impressive it is and adds his own thoughts, and Simplicio quotes Aristotle. That's a bit harsh to Simplicio - Galileo goes out of his way to introduce a ton of objections to his/Salviati's theories, which are duly refuted by Salviati. Sagredo also brings a nice practi ...more
S
Mar 08, 2009 S rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pisa 15 February 1564 – 8 January 1642 Florence (Arcetri)

Stillman Drake, trans.
Albert Einstein, introduction
Stephen Jay Gould, series ed.

Those that deny the motion of the earth would point out that birds could not keep up with 24 hours of flying so fast, and would look as if they were rapidly being carried westward.
To reiterate, when we travel on horseback, we feel a wind against our face: what a wind we would feel if we were being borne in such rapid course (earth must complete revolution i
Jeremy
Feb 17, 2010 Jeremy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-writing
Galileo is a seriously good writer, he's got a great sense of rhythm and the imagery he employs to get his points across about everything from how logic works, to what happens when a canon is fired, are brilliant. The dialogue format also works really well here, its actually really refreshing to see several different voices working through a series of problems instead of just reading one long, bloated tract. Best of all, he attacks intellectual dogmatism head on, and makes the case that when a s ...more
David
Apr 14, 2013 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fairly slow going, but it's fascinating to watch an early 17th-century natural philosopher work through an explanation of (what we would now call) gravitation without recourse to calculus or decimal fractions, with no finer measurement of time than the human heartbeat. Galileo's thought experiments work equally well as powerful mental images; his best is the traveler on a boat belowdecks.

In this edition, the note to p. 360 explains an ingenious thumb-operatoed water clock that he devised to meas
Han beng Koe
Feb 19, 2014 Han beng Koe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very good book written by the "father of modern physics" which clearly shows how brilliant Galileo not only in his knowledge and importantly how he conveyed his idea to the reader, even Einstein wrote a foreword for this masterpiece by Galileo!

It is not a very heavy material although some thinking is still needed, but all the argument is written beautifully and easy to understand.

I recommend this book to everyone (in fact to every scientist!) who is interested how does the modern science kind
Dayla
It took me forever...to finally sit down and read this book, but I was so happy once I understood the format and the topic of discussion. I learned so much, especially about movements of the sun verified by sun spots and completely different movements of the moon, whose front side is all those on earth can see.

Very interesting process of using a dialogue to voice the opinions of the skeptic as well.

Ron Noteborn
Aug 22, 2016 Ron Noteborn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One would expect such an old text to be a bore, but in this modern version it reads really easy and the discussions are fascinating to follow. It gives more of an idea in why the followers of Aristoteles were thinking they were right, but also shows some early science, which isn't always right either, but interesting nonetheless.
Leslee
Aug 11, 2008 Leslee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not only does this work make clear Galileo's incredible mind for science and philosophy, but it's also a riot! Who knew that one of the fathers of modern scientific thought had such a hilarious wit! It's delightfully and clearly written, easy for a layperson to follow and certainly worth anyone's time.
Zach
well, i've only read the first couple of days, and am uncertain as to when i'll finish it, but it is an incredible work. just to witness galileo demolish aristotle is such an amazing feat that makes this book a lesson in rhetoric. of course, having read the a' man's physics will help make this book more intelligible.
Jordan Botta
Dec 14, 2009 Jordan Botta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book for those ignorant to the current galactic model. Somewhat dry, but very educational and influential. I highly recommend it for someone who would like to learn about the progression of universal theories.
Caleb
Nov 07, 2011 Caleb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You'll laugh out loud at Simplicio's obstinacy. If you think you've got it tough because your friends don't believe in evolution, check out how bad Galileo had it back when 'everyone knew' that the Earth didn't move.
Tassos
Nov 27, 2011 Tassos rated it it was amazing
High recommendation to those that are curious to how science and mostly mechanics and engineering came to be what they are today.

A profound insight in Galileo's thoughts and the general way of thinking of that era, where science was still highly connected with philosophy.
Toni Trees
Nov 29, 2015 Toni Trees rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone with curiousity and general science background
An amazingly interesting book. That it kept me rapt was a big surprise, since it's not the sort of book I usually read. (In fact, I can't remember why I did read it; I think I just stumbled on it somehow, began reading, and actually enjoyed it.) The writing is clear and the logic easy to follow.
Paolo
Dec 29, 2013 Paolo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you want to understand the beginning of the modern science, you have to read this dialogue. You should put yourself in Galileo's shoes, already sentenced by the Church and still be able to explain his ideas, using the form of dialogue to workaround the censorship of his time.
About TIME! 1 1 Feb 17, 2013 10:50PM
  • On The Revolutions of Heavenly Spheres (On the Shoulders of Giants)
  • Epitome of Copernican Astronomy and Harmonies of the World
  • Ptolemy's Almagest
  • Records of the Grand Historian: Qin Dynasty
  • Euclid's Elements
  • The Principia: Mathematical Principles of Natural Philosophy
  • The Copernican Revolution: Planetary Astronomy in the Development of Western Thought
  • The New Organon
  • Experiments in Plant Hybridisation
  • The Many Worlds of Hugh Everett III: Multiple Universes, Mutual Assured Destruction, and the Meltdown of a Nuclear Family
  • The Works of Archimedes
  • Elements of Chemistry
  • On the Motion of the Heart and Blood in Animals
  • Science and the Modern World
  • Selected Philosophical Writings
  • The Platform Sutra of the Sixth Patriarch
  • An Essay on the Principle of Population
  • Hippocratic Writings
Galileo Galilei was a Tuscan (Italian) physicist, mathematician, astronomer, and philosopher who played a major role in the Scientific Revolution. His achievements include improvements to the telescope and consequent astronomical observations, and support for Copernicanism. Galileo has been called the "father of modern observational astronomy", the "father of modern physics", the "father of scienc ...more
More about Galileo Galilei...

“After an injunction had been judicially intimated to me by this Holy Office, to the effect that I must altogether abandon the false opinion that the sun is the center of the world and immovable, and that the earth is not the center of the world, and moves, and that I must not hold, defend, or teach in any way whatsoever, verbally or in writing, the said false doctrine, and after it had been notified to me that the said doctrine was contrary to Holy Scripture — I wrote and printed a book in which I discuss this new doctrine already condemned, and adduce arguments of great cogency in its favor, without presenting any solution of these, and for this reason I have been pronounced by the Holy Office to be vehemently suspected of heresy, that is to say, of having held and believed that the Sun is the center of the world and immovable, and that the earth is not the center and moves:

Therefore, desiring to remove from the minds of your Eminences, and of all faithful Christians, this vehement suspicion, justly conceived against me, with sincere heart and unfeigned faith I abjure, curse, and detest the aforesaid errors and heresies, and generally every other error, heresy, and sect whatsoever contrary to the said Holy Church, and I swear that in the future I will never again say or assert, verbally or in writing, anything that might furnish occasion for a similar suspicion regarding me; but that should I know any heretic, or person suspected of heresy, I will denounce him to this Holy Office, or to the Inquisitor or Ordinary of the place where I may be. Further, I swear and promise to fulfill and observe in their integrity all penances that have been, or that shall be, imposed upon me by this Holy Office. And, in the event of my contravening, any of these my promises and oaths, I submit myself to all the pains and penalties imposed and promulgated in the sacred canons and other constitutions, general and particular, against such delinquents.”
10 likes
“To our natural and human reason, I say that these terms ‘large,’ ‘small,’ ‘immense,’ ‘minute,’ etc. are not absolute but relative; the same thing in comparison with various others may be called at one time ‘immense’ and at another ‘imperceptible.” 9 likes