Start by marking “Chocky” as Want to Read:
Chocky

Chocky

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  3,670 ratings  ·  190 reviews
At first they though that Matthew was just going through a phase of talking to himself. And, like many parents, they waited for him to get over it. But it started to get worse, not better.

Matthew's conversations with himself grew more and more intense. It was like listening to one end of a telephone conversation while someone argued, cajoled and reasoned with another perso
Published 1976 by Penguin Books Limited (first published 1968)

To ask other readers questions about Chocky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chocky

Donna
Oh, this was SUCH a good read. Twelve-year-old Matthew seems to have a new friend, but not of the corporeal sort. The sort who teaches him binary counting, how to paint through new eyes, how to swim (even when he can’t), and encourages him to ask the most unusual questions of his parents and teachers. Not the sort of questions you’d expect from a 12-year-old. Chocky provides an interesting perspective on childhood, imaginary friends, and the nature of intelligence. Well worth the few hours it ta ...more
Boof
This was my first ever taste of sci-fi (shocking isn't it?) and I have to say that I really enjoyed this little book. It wasn't quite long enough for me to feel fully invested in but I really enjoyed the tale of Matthew, a seemingly ordinary 11 year old boy, who happens to hang out with an alien.

The story is told from the viewpoint of Matthew's Father, who has the dual role of trying to listen to and understand Matthews accounts of "Chocky" while placating his not-so-keen wife. It really is jus
Robert
In this novel Wyndham goes against type; yes, the background is entirely realistic, yes, an unexpected science-fictional element affects the life of the narrator, but no, the entire world is not under threat and no, alien invaders are not attempting conquest. In fact the aliens are benign and the narrator's family suffers at the hands of humans - journalists and others.

This is neither the best nor the worst of Wyndham's novels; it's more readable than most but has little incident and I found Mat
Maria João Fernandes
"Quando se vive de acordo com as nossas convicções, a realidade objectiva é quase irrelevante."

A família Grove é uma família como tantas outras, que vivia tranquilamente, dia após dia, até à chegada de um novo elemento, de origem desconhecida. A este ser não identificado chamam-lhe "amigo imaginário", visto ter origem na mente de Mathew, o filho mais velho.

Num mundo tão vasto e diversificado é curioso como encontro conforto e paz no pensamento de que não estamos sozinhos no universo. A maioria d
Philip
I used to love this show when I was young, so much so I remember drawing these inverted pyramids all the time in school, but recently when someone asked me what it was about, I really didn’t have a clue. I couldn’t remember the gist of the story at all – just those weird pyramids.

So I decided to read the book, but I have to admit – it still didn’t ring any bells, so either I’m just getting old and my memory is failing or the TV adaptation was a lot different. I’m leaning towards the latter.

The w
Kristel
Review: This is a story a science fiction story. A family; mother, father, adopted son and daughter who live in England. One day, the father notices his son having a sort of debate with noone. He is just turned 12 but all of a sudden seems to have an invisible friend like his sister did when she was small. The father and mother both deal with this situation in their own ways but also are obviously very loving and supportive of their son. The theme is that of aliens or extraterrestrials and their ...more
Carlos Clorth
12-year old Mathew Gore finds himself talking with someone whose presence is not at all physic, Chocky. His parents seem to think he is too old to have imaginary friends, but soon he starts asking, and mocking human progress. And we all realise Chocky has his/her point. Where is Earth? Why do weeks have only 7 days? Gravity is real but why does it exist?
Bandit
This was my first audio book ever. It was very well done as a radio plays back in the day were, I'd imagine, with sound effects and different actors for different characters. The story was very interesting, half psychological half scifi, with an interesting premise and an ability to make the reader/listener really think. Recommended.
Valerie
Given that this edition is more than forty years old, it's in surprisingly good shape. The pages are still supple and unyellowed, the cover is still unscuffed and unscratched. True, the dust cover is somewhat torn. But the dust cover may be part of what's kept the book itself in such good shape. I must remember to put it back on before I reshelve the book.

The crux of this book is in what the narrator says at one point: "Why do people always find it easier to believe in evil spirits than in good
Paula
‘Chocky’ tells the story of Matthew Gore, an average 12 year old boy until the day he begins speaking to ‘Chocky’. At first, his parents, David and Mary and his younger sister, Polly believe ‘Chocky’ is an imaginary friend, true, Matthew is a bit old to have a imaginary friend, they decide to let Chocky runs his or her course. Chocky’s begins to affect Matthew in different ways, he is asking questions he has never asked before, completing mathematics problems that he should not be able to do.

Ma
Lee
[Review best read to the tune of: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pra2i... ]

His, his, his writing hits me so hard
Makes me say "Ermahgerd!"
With a mind to write and to write neat.

It feels good, when you sit on down
And open up a book by the man from Dorridge town.
And he's known as such
And his is a feat, uh, you can't touch.

This ain't no tome, boy
(You can't touch this)
Yeah, that's how he's writing and you know
(You can't touch this)

Look through the narrator's eyes, man
(You c
Lynley
Suzanne Moore
Alice
Chocky é um pequeno grande livro, uma verdadeira estória de ficção cientifica "à moda antiga" como já há muito não tinha o prazer de ler. Tudo começa quando o pai de Mathew ouve o filho travar uma acalorada discussão consigo mesmo, quando comenta o facto com a mulher ambos temem a "presença" de um amigo imaginário não apenas porque o rapaz já tem 11 anos mas, sobretudo, porque a irmã mais nova de Mathew teve um amigo imaginário que deu muitas dores de cabeça à família.
Pela voz do pai de Mathew
Charmaine
Should of called it Chalky, as it was hard to see where this story was going.

Yet another of his books with dull lifeless female characters... (i'm a girl and i like PONIES!I'm the mother who just worries and has no more reference except to be obtuse and worry! I'm the bitchy female aunt....)I know Chocky was called female, but i think he felt that this was the plot twist... The story could of been interesting but it just felt like it was going nowhere towards the end, and then spun off on a tang
Jim
Another book I've heard about & meant to get around to reading for years. I found this radio drama of it & enjoyed it very much. I'm sure it was abridged somewhat, but the points were well made. I highly recommend this version.
Wendy Chard
I started Chocky the same day that I finished The Chrysalids and consequentially may have ODed on Wyndham a bit. Regardless, Chocky was a great read- managing to be both charmingly curious and deeply unsettling. What I really appreciated was the fact that Chocky was not malevolent, and was instead something of a friend to Matthew. Wyndham describes the moment when a child realises something- like an adult idea- and experiences a feeling of shock. For Matthew it was the shock of receiving recogni ...more
Chris
This was an interesting story. It is the first of John Wyndham's novels (this one is more of a novella) that I've read... and although having heard many good things about Day of the Triffids and Chrysalids, I'm not sure I would give any of his other works a shot.

The premise itself is an intriguing one. A young boy hears a voice in his head. It frustrates him, and begins to worry his parents as they realize it is perhaps not just an imaginary friend their son has developed.

The base of the book
Mitchell
Chocky was the last novel John Wyndham wrote before his death (although a semi-finished one called Web was published posthumously) and for some reason I never read it while I was in high school – although I remember flicking through a copy at the library and not being intrigued enough to properly read it, just as I wasn’t intrigued by The Trouble With Lichen. I suppose it’s because unlike his classic big four novels, neither of these deals with an apocalypse, a post-apocalyptic setting, or (in t ...more
Book Wormy
Chocky John Wyndham
YYN stars (I cant do that right to left lol)

Chocky is the story of Matthew a 12 year old adopted boy who has just found an invisible friend called Chocky. At first his parents try to dismiss Chocky as an imaginary friend however when Matthew starts to question the world he lives in with adult questioning and reasoning his parents believe there may be more to Chocky than first thought.

I love the way Wyndham created Chocky as a character the differences are subtle and yet enough
Any Length
Lucy B
David Gore is concerned when he overhears his adopted son Matthew talking to an imaginary friend. At eleven years old, isn’t Matthew too old for such things? As Matthew’s behaviour becomes more erratic, affecting his schooling and family relationships, David and his wife Mary being to wonder if this passing phase is something sinister. Who is Matthew really talking to? They enlist the help of an acquaintance, psychologist Mr Landis, to talk to Matthew. This yields frightening results.

Could Chock
Charlotte Jones
The narrator was wonderful and did different voices for the characters that were distinctive from each other. It wasn’t jarring at all and flowed really well, showing the writing style well.

The story itself was unexpected and surprising, as I didn’t really know anything about this story going into it having only read the brief synopsis.

I really liked the characters and the plot; it really drew me in and made me intrigued with the mystery elements, making up my own theories. At just over 4 hours
Ape
Tobin Elliott
A quiet, subtle book. Yes, it shows its age with the gigantic, unwieldy info dump at the end, but before that, it's a great story. For some reason, I kept flashing to the end of Stephen King's Under the Dome. I won't say why, but for those that read the ending of that book, maybe you'll see where I'm going.

Anyway, I liked how Wyndham slowly brought Chocky to the fore, the ways he revealed this element. Again, a touch heavy-handed at the end, but really, what SF book written in the 60s didn't suf
Andy Bettison
Wow. Just... wow. I read this back when I was, what, twelve? It blew me away then (especially the question about why cows stop, which has stayed with me forever), but I honestly didn't expect it to stand the test of time.

Well, it has.

Okay, so it's just a light read, and I'm a little unsure about the target audience (there's a lot of long words in there for twelve-year-old me, but it's not quite an adult book). And maybe I'm just reminiscing about favourite books gone by. But I just really enjoye
Billy Young
A surprising little tale this one. I was always expecting something sinister to happen but didn't see it coming from the human side, though I should have. It at times seemed a bit stiff yet that really was down to when this was written and how much things have changed. Funny to think that the upper middle class were like that.
Zita
Great story. Great writing. The only problem is the way the author portrayed women. Mathew's mom is loving but too emotional and not intelligent enough to grasp the whole Chocky issue. Also, whenever she wants to complain to someone, she asks her husband to write a stern letter despite that she herself is literate. Mathew's sister is portrayed as jealousy and unsympathetic towards Chocky and Mathew. The only thing she's capable of talking is a seemingly stupid children's book. Mathew's aunt (on ...more
Dan Schwent
Chocky is the story of a young boy whose imaginary friend turns out to be an alien consciousness.

While I liked Chocky a lot, it didn't go down the way I thought it would. You'd think the alien consciousness would be malicious, especially coming from John Wyndham. It's actually benevolent.
Ian
My favorite of Wyndhams novels. The conceit I rather like. Space travel, even if it were poaaible at the speed of light would be rather pointless. If an alien race inhabiting a planet several million light years away wanted to visit Earth it would take them that long to get here, and the same amount of time to get back to their world. What would have become of their world in that time? Who would they be communicating their findings? So travel by thought, by ESP if you will, turns out to be the w ...more
The Jolly Good Re...: Chocky by John Wyndham 6 12 Apr 25, 2014 04:38PM
  • Nineteen Seventy Seven (Red Riding, #2)
  • Dead Babies
  • High-Rise
  • The Penultimate Truth
  • How the Dead Live
  • Dead Air
  • Myra Breckinridge
  • The Life and Death of Harriett Frean
  • The Room
  • Blind Man with a Pistol (Harlem Cycle, #8)
  • The Coma
  • Breathe
  • The Death of Grass
  • Now and on Earth
  • Chariots of Fire
  • Leaving Las Vegas
John Wyndham Parkes Lucas Beynon Harris was the son of a barrister. After trying a number of careers, including farming, law, commercial art and advertising, he started writing short stories in 1925. After serving in the civil Service and the Army during the war, he went back to writing. Adopting the name John Wyndham, he started writing a form of science fiction that he called 'logical fantasy. A ...more
More about John Wyndham...
The Day of the Triffids The Chrysalids The Midwich Cuckoos The Kraken Wakes Trouble With Lichen

“It was all conveyed by the nicest, almost indetectably refined blend of sympathy and bitchiness...” 2 likes
“ “Your Tim is so unmistakably a healthy extravert type. Mens stulta in corpore sano, and all that.”

“Exactly,” she agreed.”