Start by marking “Bone Hunter (Em Hansen Mystery, #5)” as Want to Read:
Bone Hunter (Em Hansen Mystery, #5)

Bone Hunter (Em Hansen Mystery #5)

3.72  ·  Rating Details  ·  360 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
Time and again, Emily-- Em-- Hansen uses her geological training and her unflinching scientist's eye to sniff out a killer.

Now in her newest case, Em heads to Utah for a paleontology conference and ends up embroiled in murder when her host, a notorious dinosaur expert, ends up dead, stabbed with a dinosaur bone.

The high-stakes world of dinosaur study and research, couple
Published September 15th 2000 by Minotaur Books (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Bone Hunter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bone Hunter

Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth PetersMurder in Mesopotamia by Agatha Christie2001 by Arthur C. ClarkeThe Curse of the Pharaohs by Elizabeth PetersKing Solomon's Mines by H. Rider Haggard
Archaeology Novels
82nd out of 119 books — 42 voters
The Cold Dish by Craig JohnsonKindness Goes Unpunished by Craig JohnsonDeath Without Company by Craig JohnsonAnother Man's Moccasins by Craig JohnsonThe Blessing Way by Tony Hillerman
Best Modern Western Mysteries
106th out of 133 books — 42 voters

More lists with this book...

mbattist
Sep 05, 2011 mbattist rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery-us-utah
Bone Hunter is Sarah Andrews' fifth Em Hansen mystery, and my first. Em Hansen is a wonderful character: as a scientist, she's bright and rational; as a person, she's empathetic and emotional. Raised on a Wyoming ranch and now working as a Colorado oil geologist, the protag has lots of experience and opportunities to get caught up in mystery and mayhem.

This book grew out of the 1997 meeting of the Geological Society of America, held that year in Salt Lake City and (after a dead body), Bone Hunte
Kristi
Aug 27, 2013 Kristi rated it really liked it
I really like and feel more connected to Em with each book in this series. She is snarky and witty and I frequently am amused by her observations. There were several descriptions in this book that made me chuckle, but were equally effective at drawing an image. I am certainly looking forward to reading the next book in this series.
Pammy
Nov 06, 2013 Pammy rated it liked it
A mystery featuring dinosaur fossil thieves, creationism, Mormons, and murder.... What's there not to like?!
And, strangely, I found a marvelously insightful paragraph, instructing a technique for relaxation and stress release.... based on contemplation of our insignificance within the universe!
Nancy H
Aug 23, 2011 Nancy H rated it really liked it
This is a really good mystery involving Salt Lake City, geologists and paleontologists, Mormons, and of course, murder. There are also some good musings on religion and life philosophy in it as well. It is an engrossing read.
Jack
Oct 26, 2009 Jack rated it really liked it
Interesting murder mystery. Try finding another book with characters ranging from devout Mormons of Utah to vertebrate paleontologists!!
Kirsten
Nov 18, 2014 Kirsten rated it really liked it
Much better than the last Em Hansen book I read! A nice, intriguing mystery with the expected geological tour of a new setting. Sure, Sarah Andrews gets preachy, but she has great things to say. Her characters may be a little smarter than you'd want to give them credit for, but those intelligent conversations are pretty damned beautiful. Are there blah points? Of course. Em's hormones point her in some pretty stupid directions (but when it comes to that, I'm also a guilty party, so...), and ther ...more
Eva
Oct 20, 2015 Eva rated it really liked it
Vždycky jsem dumala nad tím, proč je tolik detektivek s "archeologickým pozadím" a o geologii čtenář nezavadí. Sarah Andrews je autorka, kterou jsem chtěla potkat půl života. Zajímavý příběh, doplněný o geologické zajímavosti (i geologická mapa by se hodila), dinosauři, kšeftování s fosiliemi a bezohledné ničení lokalit, univerzitní sbírky nacpané v suterénech, účastníci konference, demonstrace kreacionistů a navíc mormoni - prostě paráda.
Lisa
Apr 12, 2014 Lisa rated it it was amazing
I love Em Hanson. I see myself in her. Wish I were.
Kathy Daso
May 07, 2015 Kathy Daso rated it really liked it
Good info about palentology.
R.
May 21, 2012 R. rated it liked it
I love books written by authors that have "lived the life" they highlight in their fiction. Sarah Andrews is a geologist and her knowledge of her science and related sciences give more body to this mystery. My favorite is still Nevada Barr, but I will look for more of Andrews.
Crissie
May 13, 2009 Crissie rated it liked it
Great travel book, especially when the flight across the Rockies turned out rather bumpy - took my mind off the size of the small plane flying me from Montrose to Denver as the book took me through Utah (culture, religion, land). Thanks, Wendell!
J
Oct 02, 2012 J rated it liked it
So far, so good. Needs editing, but fun. Actually, it got better as it went on and became an interesting treatise on creationism.
Sunni
Mar 16, 2008 Sunni rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
Notice that I'm getting all the mysteries out of my system while I'm on hiatus from bookgroup? This one was incredibly mediocre.
Karenrice Rice
Aug 11, 2012 Karenrice Rice rated it really liked it
It's my kind of mystery, offbeat, sneaks up on you and keeps you turning pages when you really want to go to sleep!
Jess
Nov 03, 2014 Jess rated it liked it
The book started off really good with some funny parts. However the romance was overplayed.
Julie
Nov 14, 2010 Julie rated it really liked it
HAve read all the Em Hansen series - I find them very informative and interesting.
Kari Wainwright
Sep 24, 2010 Kari Wainwright rated it it was ok
Way too much boring detail that didn't seem relevant. Character conflict contrived.
Hilary
Sep 14, 2013 Hilary rated it liked it
Not a bad read, I could pick up and put down, but interesting enough to keep going.
Carrie
Mar 03, 2009 Carrie rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonlawmystery
It was interesting having a geologist investigating a murder in a Mormon community.
Kimberlyn
Aug 13, 2009 Kimberlyn rated it liked it
features forensic geologist Em Hansen; a very interesting series
Sally
Mar 21, 2009 Sally added it
bought this at a library sale, have not quite finished it yet
Ayelet
Apr 03, 2011 Ayelet rated it really liked it
Good story - the plot also moved faster than most of her books.
Laurel
Aug 15, 2009 Laurel rated it liked it
Fun archaeological mystery with a Mormon twist.
Louise
May 10, 2008 Louise rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
Had some language I didn't appreciate.
Ti'Ata
Pat
May 15, 2011 Pat added it
Em Hansen
Zeljko Pavlakovic
Zeljko Pavlakovic marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Aqualiz
Aqualiz rated it liked it
Feb 01, 2016
  • The Night Visitor (Charlie Moon, #5)
  • Old Scores (The Chris Norgren Mysteries, #3)
  • Click Here For Murder (Turing Hopper, #2)
  • The Chinese Alchemist (Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery, #11)
  • A Ghost of a Chance (A Shannon Delaney Paranormal Mystery #1)
  • Death of a Rug Lord (Den of Antiquity, #14)
Sarah Andrews is a geologist who writes mystery novels about a geologist.

She currently lives in northern California and invests her free time on community pursuits and flying, skiing, and sailing with her husband and son.

More about Sarah Andrews...

Em Hansen Mystery (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Tensleep (Em Hansen Mystery, #1)
  • A Fall in Denver (Em Hansen Mystery, #2)
  • Mother Nature (Em Hansen Mystery, #3)
  • Only Flesh and Bones (Em Hansen Mystery, #4)
  • An Eye for Gold (Em Hansen Mystery, #6)
  • Fault Line (Em Hansen Mystery, #7)
  • Killer Dust (Em Hansen Mystery, #8)
  • Earth Colors (Em Hansen Mystery, #9)
  • Dead Dry (Em Hansen Mystery, #10)
  • Rock Bottom

“I forced myself to let my belly relax into a deeper breath. I closed my eyes and felt the solidity of the pavement beneath my feet and the rock beneath that, felt the density of the earth hugging me to it, felt it spinning on its axis, felt it hurtling through space in its trip around the sun, felt th solar system whirling through space as part of our galaxy, felt the flight of galaxies escaping from the site of that primal explosion we call the big bang. Always in times of stress, if I contemplated the vastness of the universe, I did in some measure relax, comforted by the knowledge that I was but a small speck in creation after all, a mote in the enormity of God's eye, a fleeting arrangement of atoms that would in due time cycle back into the earth from which I had come and be reshuffled into something else, blended back into the grace of the natural world. In my very insignificance did I find my immortality. pp 113-114” 4 likes