Start by marking “An Eye for Gold (Em Hansen Mystery, #6)” as Want to Read:
An Eye for Gold (Em Hansen Mystery, #6)

An Eye for Gold (Em Hansen Mystery #6)

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  136 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Packed with suspense, science and lots of gold, Sarah Andrews' sixth novel takes us from the eagles' domain high over the American West right down into the depths of the earth itself.

Like a modern-day Sherlock Holmes, Andrews' engaging heroine, forensic geologist Emily Hansen, uses geological clues to solve crimes. Now, fresh from extricating herself-just barely-from susp
Published December 9th 2001 by Minotaur Books (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about An Eye for Gold, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Eye for Gold

Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth PetersMurder in Mesopotamia by Agatha ChristieThe Curse of the Pharaohs by Elizabeth Peters2001 by Arthur C. ClarkeKing Solomon's Mines by H. Rider Haggard
Archaeology Novels
76th out of 112 books — 40 voters
The Cold Dish by Craig JohnsonKindness Goes Unpunished by Craig JohnsonDeath Without Company by Craig JohnsonAnother Man's Moccasins by Craig JohnsonJunkyard Dogs by Craig Johnson
Best Modern Western Mysteries
96th out of 126 books — 34 voters

More lists with this book...

Emily Schnabl
I was going to give this three stars but moved it to four stars closer to the end as strands get pulled together. Em's friendship with Faye is a nice new dimension for Em's character, which can become a little one-note. (I have sympathies for Em but sometimes you wonder how she functions at all in society).
Kirsten
Maybe it's because I've been reading these out of order (and I know what comes after), maybe it's because I've read too many of these books, or maybe it's because I really REALLY hate Ray and don't give a crap about their desperate relationship, but this book wasn't as fun as the others.
Andy Plonka
I read this one when it first came out and didn't like it much. I guess my tastes have changed or I've become a better reader and more eager to learn about things of which I am totally ignorant, like gold mining.
Zora
May 13, 2014 Zora marked it as couldnt-get-into
So irksome in the first three pages, I would have kicked it across the room several times had it not been a library book.
Kristi
I did not enjoy this book of the series as much as I have the previous titles. The first half or so was weighed down with a lot of technical information and introspection of the main character. There was a mystery from the get go, but it was overshadowed by Em trying to figure herself out. The second half got better, but by then I was already slightly soured by the book. I wouldn't necessarily recommend skipping it if you are reading the entire series as there were some pivotal character develop ...more
Sharon Jacksack
A bit of a slog in the beginning as we have to deal with the relationship stuff, but once that is out of the way, the mystery is a lot of fun.
Unwisely
This was exactly as terrible as every other review said. I mostly read it to fill in the gap, because I read some of them out of order. But....not only was this awful, I determined that there is *another* book I missed. *sigh*

Perhaps this would be an excellent case study of "how much technical information can be awkwardly shoe-horned into dialogue", but otherwise I can't recommend it.
John Rasmussen
a rather interesting story, written by a geologist and it features geology as the background of the heroine. for me a distraction is the author explaining basic geologic interpretation processes as part of the story line.
night music -- bring on the clowns ♫
Awkward, clunky dialogue stuffed with unnecessary, huge chunks of technical data; too many smarmy and non-smarmy men drooling over main character; average story gets lost in author's proselytizing agenda.
Samira
I have misplaced the book and simply did not find it compelling enough to complete. Or to look for all that hard. If it turns up, I will probably finish it, if not, not.
Jillian
Too many characters with not enough information to build on the plot. SOme characters were more developed than others.
Ayelet
Em is getting a little tiring and less plausible as time goes on.
Eunira
Jun 14, 2009 Eunira added it
Found this unexpectdly at Estante Virtual.
Jess
Definitely not one of her best books.
Elizabeth Loeb
Elizabeth Loeb is currently reading it
Mar 27, 2015
Judy Beaver
Judy Beaver marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2015
Lkowalczyk
Lkowalczyk marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Cami
Cami marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Fear of Things to Come (The Samantha Clark Mystery Series, #2)
  • The Color of Death (Sir John Fielding, #7)
  • Black Jack Point (Whit Mosley, #2)
  • A Murder Hatched (Meg Langslow, #1-2)
  • One Grave Less (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation #9)
  • O Little Town of Maggody (Arly Hanks, #7)
  • Myth Man
  • Secret of the White Rose (Simon Ziele, #3)
  • Blood Kin
  • Biggie and the Poisoned Politician: A Mystery
  • Dead Soul (Charlie Moon, #8)
  • Every Move She Makes
  • In Search of England: Journeys into the English Past
  • Dead Guy's Stuff (Jane Wheel, #2)
  • And Not a Penny More (Bay Tanner, #2)
Sarah Andrews is a geologist who writes mystery novels about a geologist.

She currently lives in northern California and invests her free time on community pursuits and flying, skiing, and sailing with her husband and son.

More about Sarah Andrews...

Em Hansen Mystery (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Tensleep (Em Hansen Mystery, #1)
  • A Fall in Denver (Em Hansen Mystery, #2)
  • Mother Nature (Em Hansen Mystery, #3)
  • Only Flesh and Bones (Em Hansen Mystery, #4)
  • Bone Hunter (Em Hansen Mystery, #5)
  • Fault Line (Em Hansen Mystery, #7)
  • Killer Dust (Em Hansen Mystery, #8)
  • Earth Colors (Em Hansen Mystery, #9)
  • Dead Dry (Em Hansen Mystery, #10)
  • Rock Bottom
Bone Hunter (Em Hansen Mystery, #5) Tensleep (Em Hansen Mystery, #1) Fault Line (Em Hansen Mystery, #7) A Fall in Denver (Em Hansen Mystery, #2) In Cold Pursuit: A Mystery From The  Last Continent (Valena Walker, #1)