Start by marking “Only Flesh and Bones (Em Hansen Mystery, #4)” as Want to Read:
Only Flesh and Bones (Em Hansen Mystery, #4)

Only Flesh and Bones (Em Hansen Mystery #4)

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  150 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Still recuperating from her father's death and her mother's recovery from alcohol addiction, geologist and amateur sleuth Emily "Em" Hansen is out of work and unhappily whiling away her time on her family's Wyoming ranch. So when her former boss, oil millionaire J.C. Menken, asks Em for help--and offers to find her a job if she does--she has no choice but to accept.

J.C. wi
Published August 15th 1999 by St. Martin's Dead Letter (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Only Flesh and Bones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Only Flesh and Bones

The Cold Dish by Craig JohnsonKindness Goes Unpunished by Craig JohnsonDeath Without Company by Craig JohnsonAnother Man's Moccasins by Craig JohnsonJunkyard Dogs by Craig Johnson
Best Modern Western Mysteries
98th out of 126 books — 33 voters
Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth PetersMurder in Mesopotamia by Agatha ChristieThe Curse of the Pharaohs by Elizabeth Peters2001 by Arthur C. ClarkeKing Solomon's Mines by H. Rider Haggard
Archaeology Novels
85th out of 109 books — 37 voters

More lists with this book...

Kristi
Once I hit my stride in Only Flesh and Bones it was hard for me to stop. I wanted to see what Em was going to uncover next and how she was going to get herself in trouble - something she never fails to disappoint us with. There were elements of this book I found somewhat rare for the genre - the crime was around a year old and the focus of the investigation was a dead woman and the only way we got to know her was through journals. It was an enjoyable change of pace, but didn’t stray too far from ...more
Galen Johnson
Em Hansen is asked by her former boss, Josiah Carberry Menken, to solve the mystery of his wife’s death while visiting a Wyoming ranch. Em, still distressed over her father’s death, takes the job and immerses herself in the politics of Menken’s oil dealings in Denver and the circumstances that drove his wife to the ranch.

Not very readable—interesting plot and settings, but the writing fails to flow. Characters are a bit too forced.

QUESTION: Was the name Josiah Carberry random, or does the author
Debbie
This book is mindless, but an alright story. It was somewhat more interesting to me as it's set in the Denver area and lots of local landmarks are scattered though the story. This touts itself as a mystery, but it's not all that mysterious. It gets trite at times, but if your looking for escapist, I don't want to think about it fiction - this fits the bill!
Jess
If I could do 3 1/2 stars I would. It definitely reads better than her last book but the outcome is way too predictable. Also, what's up with her turning into jelly and trying to get with a really weird bad guy? On second thought, it only deserves 3 stars flat.
Carol White
Not my favorite of the "Em" series. Focused on her personal life more than her career skills. I like to feel that I'm a little smarter from having read one of Andrews' novels (easy way to learn a bit o'geology), but this one just felt like a "eh," story.
Ruth
'Em' Hansen, unemployed geologist, student pilot, amateur detective, helps former bosses' daughter deal with murder of mother. I never got into this series. Not sure why. Wasn't a bad read.
Ayelet
Em seems so conflicted over everything and makes weird personal choices. The mysteries don't seem to follow a logical pattern - just sitting around until there is another lead in the case.
Nancy (Apple) Schnore
Quite interesting, except there was too much of the romance in it. It is actually the same in all her book, but I like them once in a while.
Kel
Plot-driven drivel. Avoiding this series in the future.
Eunira
Jun 14, 2009 Eunira added it
4th in the series
Cami
Cami marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Diane Kennedy
Diane Kennedy marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Jvtr13
Jvtr13 marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
Ina
Ina added it
Nov 28, 2014
Shannon Benton
Shannon Benton marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
Robert Roth
Robert Roth marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
USA Geography Cha...: Only Flesh and Bones by Sarah Andrews 1 1 Dec 29, 2014 10:12PM
  • The Fear of Things to Come (The Samantha Clark Mystery Series, #2)
  • Misery Loves Maggody (Arly Hanks, #11)
  • The Hot Pink Farmhouse (Berger & Mitry Mystery, #2)
  • The Bohemian Murders (Fremont Jones, #3)
  • Delete All Suspects (Turing Hopper, #4)
  • Down the Garden Path
  • Myth Man
  • Christmas is Murder (Rex Graves Mystery #1)
  • Ultraviolet (Jane Kelly, #3)
  • A Curtain Falls (Simon Ziele, #2)
  • Simon Said (Professor Simon Shaw, #1)
  • Miss Zukas and the Library Murders (Miss Zukas, #1)
  • The Shaman's Game
  • How to Marry a Murderer (Paige Turner, #3)
  • A High and Hidden Place: A Novel
  • Sequence
Sarah Andrews is a geologist who writes mystery novels about a geologist.

She currently lives in northern California and invests her free time on community pursuits and flying, skiing, and sailing with her husband and son.

More about Sarah Andrews...

Em Hansen Mystery (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Tensleep (Em Hansen Mystery, #1)
  • A Fall in Denver (Em Hansen Mystery, #2)
  • Mother Nature (Em Hansen Mystery, #3)
  • Bone Hunter (Em Hansen Mystery, #5)
  • An Eye for Gold (Em Hansen Mystery, #6)
  • Fault Line (Em Hansen Mystery, #7)
  • Killer Dust (Em Hansen Mystery, #8)
  • Earth Colors (Em Hansen Mystery, #9)
  • Dead Dry (Em Hansen Mystery, #10)
  • Rock Bottom
Bone Hunter (Em Hansen Mystery, #5) Tensleep (Em Hansen Mystery, #1) Fault Line (Em Hansen Mystery, #7) A Fall in Denver (Em Hansen Mystery, #2) In Cold Pursuit: A Mystery From The  Last Continent (Valena Walker, #1)