Start by marking “Only Flesh and Bones (Em Hansen Mystery, #4)” as Want to Read:
Only Flesh and Bones (Em Hansen Mystery, #4)

Only Flesh and Bones (Em Hansen Mystery #4)

3.47  ·  Rating Details  ·  177 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Still recuperating from her father's death and her mother's recovery from alcohol addiction, geologist and amateur sleuth Emily "Em" Hansen is out of work and unhappily whiling away her time on her family's Wyoming ranch. So when her former boss, oil millionaire J.C. Menken, asks Em for help--and offers to find her a job if she does--she has no choice but to accept.

J.C. wi
Published August 15th 1999 by St. Martin's Dead Letter (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Only Flesh and Bones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Only Flesh and Bones

Death of a Messenger by Robert B. McCawIn the Woods by Tana FrenchConcrete Evidence by Rachel  GrantA Rumor Of Bones by Beverly ConnorTimeline by Michael Crichton
Great Archeological Thrillers
7th out of 54 books — 4 voters
Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth PetersMurder in Mesopotamia by Agatha Christie2001 by Arthur C. ClarkeThe Curse of the Pharaohs by Elizabeth PetersKing Solomon's Mines by H. Rider Haggard
Archaeology Novels
102nd out of 121 books — 43 voters

More lists with this book...

Rita Gorra
Feb 27, 2016 Rita Gorra rated it it was ok
The first one I read, "Bone Hunter" had promise. Then I started reading them in order. After this one I give up. There is little direction to the stories or to Em's life. She doesn't know what she wants, the plot meanders and she goes through men with no real feeling. I do find her somewhat charming, but with no direction, no real feeling towards characters, I can't find myself caring what happens. I wanted to like this series, but I can't. Not everyone needs to be Sherlock Holmes, but she seems ...more
Kristi
Mar 27, 2013 Kristi rated it really liked it
Once I hit my stride in Only Flesh and Bones it was hard for me to stop. I wanted to see what Em was going to uncover next and how she was going to get herself in trouble - something she never fails to disappoint us with. There were elements of this book I found somewhat rare for the genre - the crime was around a year old and the focus of the investigation was a dead woman and the only way we got to know her was through journals. It was an enjoyable change of pace, but didn’t stray too far from ...more
Galen Johnson
May 13, 2008 Galen Johnson rated it did not like it
Em Hansen is asked by her former boss, Josiah Carberry Menken, to solve the mystery of his wife’s death while visiting a Wyoming ranch. Em, still distressed over her father’s death, takes the job and immerses herself in the politics of Menken’s oil dealings in Denver and the circumstances that drove his wife to the ranch.

Not very readable—interesting plot and settings, but the writing fails to flow. Characters are a bit too forced.

QUESTION: Was the name Josiah Carberry random, or does the author
Debbie
Aug 18, 2015 Debbie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2011
This book is mindless, but an alright story. It was somewhat more interesting to me as it's set in the Denver area and lots of local landmarks are scattered though the story. This touts itself as a mystery, but it's not all that mysterious. It gets trite at times, but if you're looking for escapist, I don't want to think about it fiction - this fits the bill!
Jess
Sep 17, 2014 Jess rated it liked it
If I could do 3 1/2 stars I would. It definitely reads better than her last book but the outcome is way too predictable. Also, what's up with her turning into jelly and trying to get with a really weird bad guy? On second thought, it only deserves 3 stars flat.
Carol White
Jan 23, 2013 Carol White rated it it was ok
Not my favorite of the "Em" series. Focused on her personal life more than her career skills. I like to feel that I'm a little smarter from having read one of Andrews' novels (easy way to learn a bit o'geology), but this one just felt like a "eh," story.
Ruth
Apr 16, 2009 Ruth rated it it was ok
Shelves: mysteries, series
'Em' Hansen, unemployed geologist, student pilot, amateur detective, helps former bosses' daughter deal with murder of mother. I never got into this series. Not sure why. Wasn't a bad read.
Ayelet
Dec 28, 2010 Ayelet rated it liked it
Em seems so conflicted over everything and makes weird personal choices. The mysteries don't seem to follow a logical pattern - just sitting around until there is another lead in the case.
Nancy (Apple) Schnore
Quite interesting, except there was too much of the romance in it. It is actually the same in all her book, but I like them once in a while.
Kel
Jul 03, 2013 Kel rated it it was ok
Plot-driven drivel. Avoiding this series in the future.
Eunira
Jun 14, 2009 Eunira added it
4th in the series
Sandybear76
Sandybear76 marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2016
Shahzal
Shahzal marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Suzanne
Suzanne marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
Michelle
Michelle rated it liked it
Apr 15, 2016
MVB
MVB marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2016
Béatrice Mantovani
Béatrice Mantovani rated it really liked it
Mar 25, 2016
Debra
Debra added it
Mar 20, 2016
Lauconn
Lauconn rated it really liked it
Mar 12, 2016
SE Lyons
SE Lyons rated it really liked it
Mar 07, 2016
Corinne
Corinne marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2016
Jeni
Jeni marked it as to-read
Mary Tuggle
Mary Tuggle marked it as to-read
Tammy
Tammy marked it as to-read
Rebeca Rodriguez
Rebeca Rodriguez rated it really liked it
Feb 19, 2016
Marcie
Marcie added it
Feb 06, 2016
Janet Wehner
Janet Wehner marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
Ryan Werth
Ryan Werth marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
USA Geography Cha...: Only Flesh and Bones by Sarah Andrews 1 1 Dec 29, 2014 10:12PM
  • Misery Loves Maggody (Arly Hanks, #11)
  • The Hot Pink Farmhouse (Berger and Mitry, #2)
  • Down the Garden Path
  • Ultraviolet (Jane Kelly, #3)
  • Christmas is Murder (Rex Graves Mystery #1)
  • Simon Said (Professor Simon Shaw, #1)
  • Tell Me No Spies (Never Say Spy, #4)
  • A High and Hidden Place: A Novel
  • Due North (Butterscotch Jones Mystery #1)
  • Ghostly Hijinks (Agnes Barton Paranormal Mystery, #2)
  • The Night Visitor (Charlie Moon, #5)
  • The Silent Assassin
  • In the hold
  • My Love, My Love: or The Peasant Girl
Sarah Andrews is a geologist who writes mystery novels about a geologist.

She currently lives in northern California and invests her free time on community pursuits and flying, skiing, and sailing with her husband and son.

More about Sarah Andrews...

Em Hansen Mystery (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Tensleep (Em Hansen Mystery, #1)
  • A Fall in Denver (Em Hansen Mystery, #2)
  • Mother Nature (Em Hansen Mystery, #3)
  • Bone Hunter (Em Hansen Mystery, #5)
  • An Eye for Gold (Em Hansen Mystery, #6)
  • Fault Line (Em Hansen Mystery, #7)
  • Killer Dust (Em Hansen Mystery, #8)
  • Earth Colors (Em Hansen Mystery, #9)
  • Dead Dry (Em Hansen Mystery, #10)
  • Rock Bottom