Start by marking “Only Flesh and Bones (Em Hansen Mystery, #4)” as Want to Read:
Only Flesh and Bones (Em Hansen Mystery, #4)

Only Flesh and Bones (Em Hansen Mystery #4)

3.44 of 5 stars 3.44  ·  rating details  ·  141 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Still recuperating from her father's death and her mother's recovery from alcohol addiction, geologist and amateur sleuth Emily "Em" Hansen is out of work and unhappily whiling away her time on her family's Wyoming ranch. So when her former boss, oil millionaire J.C. Menken, asks Em for help--and offers to find her a job if she does--she has no choice but to accept.

J.C. wi
Published August 15th 1999 by St. Martin's Dead Letter (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Only Flesh and Bones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Only Flesh and Bones

The Cold Dish by Craig JohnsonKindness Goes Unpunished by Craig JohnsonDeath Without Company by Craig JohnsonAnother Man's Moccasins by Craig JohnsonJunkyard Dogs by Craig Johnson
Best Modern Western Mysteries
97th out of 125 books — 29 voters
Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth PetersMurder in Mesopotamia by Agatha ChristieThe Curse of the Pharaohs by Elizabeth Peters2001 by Arthur C. ClarkeKing Solomon's Mines by H. Rider Haggard
Archaeology Novels
85th out of 109 books — 37 voters

More lists with this book...

Kristi
Once I hit my stride in Only Flesh and Bones it was hard for me to stop. I wanted to see what Em was going to uncover next and how she was going to get herself in trouble - something she never fails to disappoint us with. There were elements of this book I found somewhat rare for the genre - the crime was around a year old and the focus of the investigation was a dead woman and the only way we got to know her was through journals. It was an enjoyable change of pace, but didn’t stray too far from ...more
Galen Johnson
Em Hansen is asked by her former boss, Josiah Carberry Menken, to solve the mystery of his wife’s death while visiting a Wyoming ranch. Em, still distressed over her father’s death, takes the job and immerses herself in the politics of Menken’s oil dealings in Denver and the circumstances that drove his wife to the ranch.

Not very readable—interesting plot and settings, but the writing fails to flow. Characters are a bit too forced.

QUESTION: Was the name Josiah Carberry random, or does the author
Debbie
This book is mindless, but an alright story. It was somewhat more interesting to me as it's set in the Denver area and lots of local landmarks are scattered though the story. This touts itself as a mystery, but it's not all that mysterious. It gets trite at times, but if your looking for escapist, I don't want to think about it fiction - this fits the bill!
Jess
If I could do 3 1/2 stars I would. It definitely reads better than her last book but the outcome is way too predictable. Also, what's up with her turning into jelly and trying to get with a really weird bad guy? On second thought, it only deserves 3 stars flat.
Carol White
Not my favorite of the "Em" series. Focused on her personal life more than her career skills. I like to feel that I'm a little smarter from having read one of Andrews' novels (easy way to learn a bit o'geology), but this one just felt like a "eh," story.
Ruth
'Em' Hansen, unemployed geologist, student pilot, amateur detective, helps former bosses' daughter deal with murder of mother. I never got into this series. Not sure why. Wasn't a bad read.
Ayelet
Em seems so conflicted over everything and makes weird personal choices. The mysteries don't seem to follow a logical pattern - just sitting around until there is another lead in the case.
Nancy (Apple) Schnore
Quite interesting, except there was too much of the romance in it. It is actually the same in all her book, but I like them once in a while.
Kel
Plot-driven drivel. Avoiding this series in the future.
Eunira
Jun 14, 2009 Eunira added it
4th in the series
Shannon Benton
Shannon Benton marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
Robert Roth
Robert Roth marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
Annika Anderson
Annika Anderson marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Di
Di marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Rose
Rose added it
Jul 31, 2014
Amber Vaughn
Amber Vaughn marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Brett Dungan
Brett Dungan marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Jean Scott
Jean Scott marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
Molly
Molly marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
  • The Fear of Things to Come (The Samantha Clark Mystery Series, #2)
  • Misery Loves Maggody (Arly Hanks, #11)
  • The Hot Pink Farmhouse (Berger & Mitry Mystery, #2)
  • Delete All Suspects (Turing Hopper, #4)
  • Ultraviolet (Jane Kelly, #3)
  • Down the Garden Path (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #2)
  • Simon Said (Professor Simon Shaw, #1)
  • Fellowship of Fear (Gideon Oliver, #1)
  • Miss Zukas and the Library Murders (Miss Zukas, #1)
  • A Curtain Falls (Simon Ziele, #2)
  • How to Marry a Murderer (Paige Turner, #3)
  • The Puzzled Heart (A Kate Fansler Mystery #12)
  • Sequence
  • The Wench Is Dead (Inspector Morse, #8)
  • Stone Butterfly (Charlie Moon, #11)
Sarah Andrews is a geologist who writes mystery novels about a geologist.

She currently lives in northern California and invests her free time on community pursuits and flying, skiing, and sailing with her husband and son.

More about Sarah Andrews...
Bone Hunter (Em Hansen Mystery, #5) Tensleep (Em Hansen Mystery, #1) Fault Line (Em Hansen Mystery, #7) A Fall in Denver (Em Hansen Mystery, #2) In Cold Pursuit: A Mystery From The  Last Continent (Valena Walker, #1)