Start by marking “The Ex Files: A Novel About Four Women and Faith” as Want to Read:
The Ex Files: A Novel About Four Women and Faith

The Ex Files: A Novel About Four Women and Faith

4.31 of 5 stars 4.31  ·  rating details  ·  641 ratings  ·  50 reviews
There are four ways a woman can handle heartbreak. She can fall apart, seek revenge, turn cold, or move on. The Ex Files is the story of these four women:

When Kendall Stewart finds her husband and her sister in bed together, she vows to never let anyone get that close again. But when she is faced with saving the life of the woman who destroyed hers, will she be able to f
Published June 19th 2007 by Touchstone (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Ex Files, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ex Files

Brooklyn Darkchild
Nov 10, 2008 Brooklyn Darkchild rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Chick Lit and Relationship Drama Lovers
Recommended to Brooklyn by: I bought it from an online friend
This is what I've always wished Christian fiction was like, so I guess it really didn't surprise me to find that Ms Murray never really thought of herself as a "Christian Fiction" author.
"My work is too edgy," she said in an interview at the back of the book.
Life is "edgy," and the things we, even as Christians, go through are not always pretty. As much as we long to follow God's edicts, and to please Him in all our ways, it is extremely difficult to live a Godly life in an UnGodly world. These
Nochu
Do you find forgiveness the hardest thing to do in life? Are you afraid to make the necessary decisions because you are afraid of the outcome? How does your faith measure up when it comes to friends, relationships, family, and life itself?

Victoria Christopher Murray bought together 4 women from different walks of life to help each other on their journey of life. It was not an easy task because keep in mind, when it comes to women and personalities, you have a mixture of all types. Some women are
Metris
EXHALING… The Ex Files had me holding my breath…I wanted to strangle some folks, slap a daddy, hug some people & tell them it will be okay…. OMG.. I wanted tell somebody to back back cause u missed your opportunity & I wanted to shake a couple of ladies & tell them to wake up & open your eyes. Ex Files is a story of 4 ladies with some type of EX-Men issues coming together and creating a bond through a prayer group.
You never know why God bring people into your life, but I have to
Desiree Watson
Sheridan, Kendall, Vanessa and Asia have all gone through issues with losing their men. Sheridan's husband Quentin, left her for a man. Vanessa's husband, Reed, killed himself, Kendall caught her husband in bed with her sister and Asia's man Bobby, well, he's not really her man. He's married. He never really left his wife, he was just "messing" with Asia for the last ten years.

Pastor Ford chooses Sheridan to lead a women's group consisting of all four women. She believes they will be good for o
Faith
Lyn
Emotional. Love love loved it. Awesome as always.
Nardsbaby Reader
Connections

Kendall Stewart, Asia Ingrum, Vanessa Martin and Sheridan Hart are four women who all attend the same church and find themselves in the same boat, recently single, broken-hearted, and trying to figure out how to recover. Pastor Ford decides that connecting these women in a prayer group could perhaps benefit them all.

Though Sheridan is divorced and dating, she's still dealing with the loss of her father and trying to get her life together for the next level. Brock, her boyfriend, is r
OOSA
Heartaches....

Sheridan Hart has had her share of problems, the most recent being the death of her dad. She's still trying to find a way to cope. With the help of her boyfriend, Brock, she is sure she will be able to get through this situation. Sheridan finds herself having second thoughts about her ex husband, Quentin. Although it's been three years, she continues to have thoughts of the two of them together as a family. Should she?

Asia Ingrum, whose birth name is Chiquita, has for the last ten
Michelle
The uniqueness of this story really pulled me in. Each woman had their own drama and were mismatched as friends, but after some seriously hard times came upon each of them, they learned to reach out to each other and seek God for strength. The Ex Files is like a soap opera with four stories going at the same time, yet they intersect on occasion. The cool thing about the plots in this book were that they were all equally compelling. Usually I want to take one character's plot and dive ahead to th ...more
Tyora Moody
The Ex-Files
by Victoria Christopher Murray

About two to three years ago, Victoria Christopher Murray released a book titled Grown Folks Business. This novel was perfectly time around the controversy of “down-low” men in the African-American community. The protagonist from Grown Folks Business, Sheridan Hart, returns in this book. Sheridan is still having difficulty committing to the younger man she’s been dating for the past three years. The breakup of her 17-year-old marriage is still painful an
Leslie
Aug 15, 2007 Leslie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: folk figuring where & how pop fiction fits in religion/lit studies
Shelves: novels
I've read all of this pop fiction author's books, even if I shouldn't say it :o). Of course, they're not high literature by any means, but I like how super quickly they read and the reminders of Los Angeles (they're all set there). They don't turn me off as much as they may (and do) turn off some of my friends (LOL). This particular one, which I'll finish tonight, has a part that made me raise an eyebrow for a long time, however, and think more about the super conservative form of Christianity t ...more
Shannan Harper
This book is the beginning of the Ex series where we meet 4 women, Kendall, Asia, Sheridan and Vanessa. One of the ex's is married, one committed suicide, one came out of the closet and the other slept with his sister in law. Pastor Ford get's these 4 women together in a kind of support group after church one sunday. It was an excellent book.
Deliah Lawrence
Talk about tangled webs of deceit! This book had it all especially the drama that Kendall, Asia, Vanessa and Sheridan experienced because of their exes and the different ways in which they handled their heartbreaks. But through it all they found common ground and bonded together in their faith. Kudos to Victoria Christopher Murray - this book is a must read!
Lethea
Heartfelt

This book was pretty good even though everyone couldn't be saved. These women needed intervention and some. I liked this book but I wished they could have helped Vanessa.
Jenise Shumaker
WASN'T AT ALL WHAT I EXPECTED BUT IT TURNED OUT TO BE A VERY GOOD BOOK. GOOD THINGS CAN HAPPEN WHEN YOU PRAY AND SORT OUT WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE IN YOUR LIFE
Tina
I usually don't care for the formatting of a story when each character is introduced and talked about in their individual chapters. However, this time I was able to follow the characters and experience their varying emotions. At one point I had tears running down my face after reading of a loss the group experienced. That was a very powerful moment. I liked how they were all encouraged to pray and believe in God throughout the story. I couldn't put this book down until I found out what paths the ...more
Michelle M
I loved this novel ..... I shake that there is a sequel ... I wouLd recommend it.
Beatriz Fernandez-rossi
This was quite riveting. A very different thought perspective on relationships.
Lethea
A book I enjoyed reading.
Jameelah
I read this book as the July 2012 selection for my bookclub meeting and I must say, it was a good read. This book showed the many facets of God, how he allows us to operate in free will and how he's always whispering to our hearts. Each chapter focused on one character only which allowed me to follow each woman's story line easily. The ending was very vague, therefore, I gave only 4 stars. If you are looking for Christian fiction with a drama, this is the book to read.
Charlotte Ruffin
Great book a lesson to be learn by all four ladies
Geraldine
Never underestimate the power of God in your life. Never assume that you know what the person sitting next to you in Church is "going through". I liked the book because of the four women who were so eloquently portrayed in the book. They had real problems and did not seem like just characters in a book. Kudos to Victoria Murray for her ability to develop real life people who make us feel their pain.
SapphireDCM
I just finished reading this last night. It was a great story. Sad at times, but it definitely draws you in.
Deliah Lawrence
Talk about tangled webs of deceit! This book had it all especially the drama that Kendall, Asia, Vanessa and Sheridan experienced because of their exes and the different ways in which they handled their heartbreak. But through it all they found common ground and bonded together. Kudos to Victoria Christopher Murray - this book is a must read!
Lisa
I'm not a reader of Christian fiction, but stumbled onto this piece ... the response the women had to the end of their relationships and how they choose or choose not to move forward in their lives was interesting.

There are several places where I would in no way agree with the author, I truly applaud her for tackling the subject(s) at hand.
Yvette
An unbelievable story of four women who experience heartbreak. Even though their situations were different they were all able to share and support one another by getting together in weekly prayer meetings. This story is very engaging and filled with the usually drama that the author brings in her writings.
Rebecca
Definitely a 5 star read. This book touched on 4 women who came together with prayer. They all had their own issues but with God's help they made it through their own way. I truly enjoyed this book from beginning to end. I would highly recommend this book.
Vanessa
I have to say that I had my reservations about the book, based simply on the genre. I must say that I was TOTALLY engrossed by the lives of the characters. In my opinion, it would make a great movie! I pull it off the shelf every once in awhile to read it.
Ms Goss
It was okay, but I think that if I wasn't a christian I wouldn't like it. It was a little slow to read, and the characters were barley believable. They were too good, and I don't believe that anybody is as good as these characters supposedly are.
Teffany
I was pleasantly surprised at how Murray was able to create a Christian themed story, grounded in reality. Well written and not ecxessive on the Overtones. It was refreshing. Also surprising that she stopped short of using profanity.
  • Everybody Say Amen
  • Redemption
  • Second Sunday
  • Love Like Hallelujah (Hallelujah Love #2)
  • Behind Closed Doors
  • Boaz Brown
  • Ray of Hope
Victoria Christopher Murray is the author of nine Essence bestselling novels, including The Ex Files; Too Little, Too Late; and Lady Jasmine. Winner of the African American Literary Award for Fiction and Author of the Year (Female), she splits her time between Los Angeles and Washington DC.
More about Victoria Christopher Murray...
A Sin and a Shame Too Little, Too Late Temptation The Deal, the Dance, and the Devil Lady Jasmine