Start by marking “Baseball: An Illustrated History” as Want to Read:
Baseball: An Illustrated History

Baseball: An Illustrated History

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  1,120 ratings  ·  28 reviews
The companion volume to Ken Burns’s magnificent PBS television series—updated and expanded to coincide with the broadcast of a new, two-part Tenth Inning, directed with Lynn Novick.

The authors of the acclaimed and best-selling The Civil War, Jazz, and The War turn to another uniquely American phenomenon: baseball. In words and pictures they provide a stunningly rich evocat
Published September 21st 2010 by Knopf (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Baseball, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Baseball

Catherine Woodman
I am definitely not a huge baseball fan, but one thing that is very true of Ken Burns is that he is so passionate about the things that he documents, and brings so much enthusiasm to the subject that unless you are dead set against what ever it is, you will be sucked in and enjoy what he enjoys--it's a gift he has. The photos in this book are spectacular and unlike alot of coffee table books the writing is actually better than the pictures. Well worth having on your coffee table.
Steven Peterson
This volume contains a lot that is very good. Its structure is a bit forced (nine innings, or periods, of baseball history). The 9th inning, as others have noted, covers a large time frame compared with earlier "innings." I'm not sure that the decade is the best way of organizing baseball history, either. Still and all, that's more a matter of taste than anything else.

The book's authors candidly observe that they will focus on eastern teams, e.g., Boston Red Sox and Brooklyn Dodgers, "because w
Eddy Allen
cc:

With more than 500 photographs
-- Introduction by Roger Angell
-- Essays by Thomas Boswell, Robert W. Creamer, Gerald Early, Doris Kearns Goodwin, Bill James, David Lamb, Daniel Okrent, John Thorn, George E Will
-- And featuring an interview with Buck O'Neil

by Geoffrey C. Ward
Joshua Kennedy
A spectacular, comprehensive look at the history of baseball, starting in the 1800's, that explores why we love the game and why we continue to love the game despite all its changes over time: greedy owners, greedy players, etc. It makes me want to have a son and go out in the back yard and have a catch with him, and re-live all the great childhood memories of this great game.
Chris Giovagnoni
A comprehensive history of baseball from its origins through 2009 that suffers unders the vast history it wants to recount. It simply can't do 140+ years of drama justice. Plus as an illustrated history, it should have more images. Finally, the book ends on a sour note - BALCO and the major league dopers.
Kyle Wright
I have just gotten into baseball. This book just cemented my love for the game. I so look forward to the joys of watching baseball, teaching my children about the game, the history, and the payers,teams, that made it what it is today. Great Stuff!
Steven
Interesting and uplifting history of baseball and its key moments, complete with the nostalgic feeling of every age that this generation's players are overpaid, not as good, and not representative of the history of the great game.
David!!
Listened to the audiobook on the way from NY to STL. It was overall enjoyable and I learned a lot, but the content was a bit too uneven for me. Probably better to digest it as the documentary, which I haven't seen.
Robert W.
The companion book to the Ken Burns video series; it has excellent material on the beginnings of baseball, the Negro leagues, women's leagues, and the modern era.
John
I enjoyed the book more than the PBS documentary. Interesting parallels between what was happening in baseball and in American history at the same time.
Jacque
I had to read it for class... and I actually read the WHOLE THING!!! I'm not interested in baseball, but it is interesting, I guess... considering :)
Christopher
I really want to watch the documentary after reading this book. The authors definitely helped me to appreciate the history of the game.
Ed
This was awesome. So many of the names known to me as historical come to life. Wonderful experience and very much appreciated,
Bap
The companion book to Ken Burns' great TV series on baseball. Great pictures. Opening day is around the corner!
Ellen
i just love this book! it has lots of pictures and stories and just makes baseball of the past come alive!
Mike Violano
Just reread a bit of this great comprehensive history of Baseball originally purchased in 1994.
Cyndi
Best book for an interesting overview of baseball history with fabulous historical images.
Jim
If you enjoy baseball you will love this book full of history and stories about the game.
Ann Mulholland
lots of information. Learned some things about my favorite sport that I didn't know.
Natalie
Who knew baseball was so awesome? I guess Ken Burns and Geoffrey Ward did.
John
A great sports/history book (perfect for dads, brothers, boyfriends)
Marshaferz
Companion to the PBS series - wonderfully readable with great photos.
Melissa
Beautiful shots! Great coffee table book, a must for baseball lovers
Carole Mitchell
Fantastic book for fans of the game and newcomers alike.
M. Newman
Great companion to the excellent PBS series.
Adam
A treasure for baseball lovers!
Sam
Sam marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014
Chris Lyons McKinley
Chris Lyons McKinley marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014
  • The Old Ball Game: How John McGraw, Christy Mathewson, and the New York Giants Created Modern Baseball
  • Nine Innings: The Anatomy of a Baseball Game
  • Baseball in the Garden of Eden: The Secret History of the Early Game
  • The Big Bam: The Life and Times of Babe Ruth
  • Fair Ball: A Fan's Case for Baseball
  • Only the Ball Was White: A History of Legendary Black Players and All-Black Professional Teams
  • The Glory of Their Times : The Story of the Early Days of Baseball Told By the Men Who Played It
  • Willie Mays: The Life, the Legend
  • I Was Right On Time
  • The Echoing Green: The Untold Story of Bobby Thomson, Ralph Branca and the Shot Heard Round the World
  • Rob Neyer's Big Book of Baseball Legends: The Truth, the Lies, and Everything Else
  • Opening Day: The Story of Jackie Robinson's First Season
  • The Catcher Was a Spy: The Mysterious Life of Moe Berg
  • The Numbers Game: Baseball's Lifelong Fascination with Statistics
  • The Soul of Baseball: A Road Trip Through Buck O'Neil's America
  • Baseball Between the Numbers: Why Everything You Know About the Game Is Wrong
  • Late Innings: A Baseball Companion
  • October 1964
Geoffrey Champion Ward is an author and screenwriter of various documentary presentations of American history. He graduated from Oberlin College in 1962.

He was an editor of American Heritage magazine early in his career. He wrote the television mini-series The Civil War with its director Ken Burns and has collaborated with Burns on every documentary he has made since, including Jazz and Baseball.
More about Geoffrey C. Ward...
The Civil War: An Illustrated History The War: An Intimate History, 1941-1945 Unforgivable Blackness: The Rise and Fall of Jack Johnson Mark Twain Jazz: A History of America's Music