Start by marking “Borders of Infinity (Vorkosigan Saga, #5.3)” as Want to Read:
Borders of Infinity (Vorkosigan Saga, #5.3)

Borders of Infinity (Vorkosigan Saga (Chronological) #4.1, 6.1, 6.2, 8)

4.23  ·  Rating Details  ·  6,993 Ratings  ·  193 Reviews
Fans of the bestselling Vorkosigan Saga can get this limited edition volume for a great low price. The series has won the Hugo and Nebula awards and has been called "space opera at its best" by Publishers Weekly.

Contents:
Frame story that follows Miles' time on Earth in Brothers in Arms
The Mountains of Mourning (1989)
Labyrinth (1989)
The Borders of Infinity (1987)
Published September 1st 1999 by Pocket Books (first published January 1st 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Borders of Infinity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Borders of Infinity

The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsThe Handmaid's Tale by Margaret AtwoodFrankenstein by Mary ShelleyA Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'EngleThe Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin
Science Fiction Books by Female Authors
53rd out of 1,198 books — 1,107 voters
Ender's Game by Orson Scott CardStarship Troopers by Robert A. HeinleinOld Man's War by John ScalziThe Forever War by Joe HaldemanOn Basilisk Station by David Weber
Military Science Fiction
39th out of 583 books — 888 voters

More lists with this book...

Jessica Snell
Feb 13, 2012 Jessica Snell rated it really liked it
Here is my theory - and if anyone besides me has noticed this, I haven't read about it, so it's just begging for a English term paper to be written on it - I think that Lois McMaster Bujold's novella The Borders of Infinity is (among other things) a riff on Dante's Inferno.

Why? (Here there be spoilers. For both works.)

1. The Borders of Infinity opens with Miles Vorkosigan thinking, "How could I have died and gone to hell without noticing the transition?" Hell. Yes. That one word is part of my
Jim
Oct 21, 2014 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"The Mountains of Mourning" is the first story & comes directly after The Warrior's Apprentice & before The Vor Game, so I listened to just it. As a murder-mystery, it wasn't bad. As another story to establish Miles' personality & the world he lives in, it was excellent.

I love the way Bujold portrays horses. She doesn't get overly technical, but they are certainly individuals & are well done. Having known horses like Ninny & the others, they added a lot to the story for me.
Clouds

Following the resounding success of my Locus Quest, I faced a dilemma: which reading list to follow it up with? Variety is the spice of life, so I’ve decided to diversify and pursue six different lists simultaneously. This book falls into my GIFTS AND GUILTY list.

Regardless of how many books are already queued patiently on my reading list, unexpected gifts and guilt-trips will always see unplanned additions muscling their way in at the front.

I had scheduled this to be read several weeks ago, bu
David
Apr 19, 2015 David rated it really liked it
This book is an anthology of three novellas about the life of the young Miles Vorkosigan. Miles is an officer in the space navy. He was crippled at birth, has fragile bones and is short in stature. So, instead of using his strength, he must survive with his wits. He has an ability to think outside the box, and exhibit not a little bit of chutzpah. If you are a science fiction fan, then the series of novels by Lois McMaster Bujold is a must read.

I didn't read this book--I listened to the audiobo
Stephen
5.0 stars. The best Miles Vorkosigan stories of them all are contained in this book (and that is saying A LOT). The Mountains of Mourning was AMAZING. Highly Recommended.
R.J.
Apr 30, 2015 R.J. rated it liked it
A collection of three very different short stories from Miles Vorkosigan's colourful military and political history, linked by a framing story that seems a bit thin in terms of logistics and character motivation, but works well enough to link them all together. Some deep and provocative thoughts in "The Mountains of Mourning", as well as the classic murder-mystery plot, make that story probably my favorite, with the tragedy-laden eponymous prison camp story coming in second and "Labyrinth" in th ...more
Carolyn
Read all three of these novellas as part of the omnibus editions.
Mountains of Mourning - Miles is sent to the backcountry of his home district on Barrayar to investigate an infanticide and dispense justice, if he can. This is during the early stages of his career, best to read sometime before the midpoint of the series, as it is briefly referred back to in the later books.
Labrynth - Miles and the Dendarii are sent to collect a geneticist who wants to defect to the Barrayar from Jackson's Whole.
Kathleen
May 08, 2013 Kathleen rated it really liked it
The Vorkosigan Saga is adventurous space opera with some romantic relationships here and there. As science fiction it's not outstanding, even though some innovations are interesting. The strength of this series -- for me -- is how Bujold handles characterization and plot development. Her pacing is good, too.

I'm becoming fixated on Miles Vorkosigan, a brilliant mind in a brittle body. He's nothing to look at, standing not five-feet tall in his boots, with a skewed spine and bones that easily brea
Mary Catelli
Miles, with his usual flair. Three stories, framed by an interview with his boss.

The first one is a murder mystery on Barrayar, where Miles gets to unravel an infanticide case -- that being a burning issue. And two more when he's with the Dendarii, pulling off capers. (The frame story revolves about how the last two involved -- unexpected expenses.) Both are rescues, but very different in plot. And scope.

Some effects you will see results of in other books.
Banner
Sep 10, 2013 Banner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
I have been slow to take to this series but it seems like with this book I have finally seen Miles Vorkosigan. These three novella length stories share a common themes, but you can tell they were not written with that in mind. Due to a terrorist act Miles suffers from a degenerative bone disease in a society that views physical defects with disdain. He does not let this stop him as he seeks ways to serve his country (planet).

The first story is a whodunit, that I reviewed separately.

The second,
Janet
Apr 22, 2014 Janet rated it liked it
If the Miles Vorkosigan series was a video game, these would be the sidequests. I had very different reactions to each of the three short stories contained in this book.

"Mountains of Morning" I honestly thought was terrible. It felt tonally disconnected from the rest of the series, was very heavy handed in the life lessons, and just needed a space station or something.

"Labyrinth" on the other hand I thought was really good. I always enjoy Jackson Hole, and I thought the feuding lords of the und
Rita
Three very satisfying Miles short stories. I read them in publication order during my Vorkosigan saga re-read, which is to say: I read "The Mountains of Mourning" after finishing The Warrior's Apprentice, then read The Vor Game and Cetaganda, and finally came back to read "Labyrinth" and "The Borders of Infinity" -- a convoluted reading order which gets the thumbs-up from me.

You get the most out of "The Mountains of Mourning" if you've also read Barrayar recently, I think. The main plot is basic
Melinda
Mar 04, 2009 Melinda rated it it was amazing
My favorite Miles Vorkosigan tale is the one where he rescues prisoners of war. It's in this volume, but I can't remember the name of it.

Labyrinth is a story where Miles has to retrieve some genetic material; he is astounded to learn that the material is part of a super soldier created by committee...

The Mountains of Mourning is his investigation of an infanticide in his district's own Dendarii Mountains.

I especially appreciate how Bujold's characters grow and learn over the course of the series
Michael
Great character development through three linked novellas about young Miles Vorkosigan working his way along in his military career in Bujold's outstanding space opera series. In "Mountains of Mourning", he is tasked while on leave by his Prime Minister father to serve as judge and detective in a case of infanticide in a rural backwater on his home world of Barrayar. In "Labyrinth", he has to infiltrate a prison camp of an empire at war with Barrayar as preparation for a rescue of the 10,000 pri ...more
Christy
Apr 11, 2013 Christy rated it it was amazing
Two weeks later, I have to upgrade this from 4 to 5 stars because of the resonances of these novellas throughout the rest of the series. This collection seems essential.
-------
The three novellas comprising this book are all thought-provoking and disturbing in different ways. All three give wonderful insights into the demons that drive Miles, in a way that maybe isn't as obvious in the novels.

In "The Mountains of Mourning" we are taken into the Barryaran backwoods to see up close the culture of
This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For
This book contains three Miles Vorkosigan novellas/novelettes contained within a very brief framing story, all from the early part of his career.

* The Mountains of Mourning (winner of a Hugo)
* Labyrinth
* The Borders of Infinity

Personally I thought, The Borders of Infinity was best, following by The Mountains of Mourning, with Labyrinth bringing up the rear. None of them are bad, but none were particularly outstanding. Borders is the most solid, with a bit of a convoluted story structure, Mounta
Lisa (Harmonybites)
May 06, 2012 Lisa (Harmonybites) rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Science Fiction Fans
There are two works by Bujold to be found under this title and both are part of her Vorkosigan Saga featuring Miles Vorkosigan. One is a grouping of three novellas with a framing story that includes the short story "Borders of Infinity" as well as "Mountains of Mourning" and "Labyrinth." The story is also included in the omnibus edition of Miles Errant along with Brothers in Arms and Mirror Dance. This review and rating is for the short story alone, which epitomizes so much I love in Miles. Brai ...more
Debbie--I have a headache from GR
Three Miles stories from three different times of his life and career. They are all absolutely fantastic and each are defining moments for Miles. "Mountains of Mourning" shows the reader the rural, brutal Barrayar that is only hinted of in the rest of the series; "Labyrinth" gives us a delightful first look at Taura and Jackson's Hole; and "Borders of Infinity" never fails to make me tear up. I wish that Baen had decided to do without the framing story which really adds nothing to either the boo ...more
Carolyn F.
Mountains of Mourning. A pretty young Miles (21) is sent to find out who murdered a handicapped baby. Very sad because Miles, if he had lived in this small town, might have been murdered too because of his difference. Sad, compelling story. Loved Miles' relationship with his horse.

Labyrinth. I read this in another omnibus so I will not give another review of that short story here.

Borders of Infinity. Heartbreak! A friend and a potential romance cut
down. I'm at jury duty whispering "Oh, no!" S
Katie
Jan 23, 2016 Katie rated it liked it
I enjoyed the first of the short stories but less so the second and least of all the third. ALSO why did so many people have to die in the third. *whimpers*
Shea Levy
Oct 16, 2014 Shea Levy rated it liked it
I'd already read (and reviewed) The Mountains of Mourning and Labyrinth, so this review just covers the framing story and The Borders of Infinity.

The framing story seemed a bit like an afterthought, but it was nice to see Simon and Cordelia again, and Miles under the influence was, as usual, pretty cute. The Borders of Infinity was really solid, treating us to Miles again unifying and inspiring a seemingly hopeless lot to unbelievable victory. Miles' antics to get taken seriously and (view spoil
Jarrah
Three linked Miles novellas. I actually read the first two, Mountains of Mourning and Labyrinth, as part of their respective omnibuses, and only read the frame narrative (Miles in a hospital bed talking to Illyan) when I read the last one, Borders of Infinity. I like it better with the frame, if only for Miles' outburst at Illyan; that was a marvellous moment of Miles characterisation.

Mountains of Mourning is set on Barrayar, and involves Miles, on home leave, investigating a case of mutant infa
Sheila
Apr 24, 2014 Sheila rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reread2014, audiobook
"The Mountains of Mourning" is one of the best works in the Vorkosigan series. It's Essence of Miles, without some of the external stuff from his Naismith adventures (and without an Amazon he can try to make Lady Vorkosigan, which gets on my nerves sometimes). It's also a missing piece: Miles deals with anti-mutant prejudice from the backcountry folks, his military peers, and the Vor in entirely different ways. Also I cried at the end. Again.

My favorite bits of "Labyrinth" are the heist elements
Elaine Cramer
Jan 25, 2014 Elaine Cramer rated it it was amazing
Once upon a time, I worked a late shift, in a dark room, where everyone there listened to books all night. It's not hard to arrange if you have a job that exclusively uses the left brain and a like-minded supervisor.
Things are different today. Sigh.

One night, I had run out of books to listen to so my supervisor loaned me his extra player which had a crazy number of books on it. Scrolling through the offerings, I was struck by this title.

Knowing nothing about the series, this is not the ideal bo
Sho
Jul 31, 2011 Sho rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read, sci-fi
I really loved this book when I first read it, and still loved it after re-listening to it. Actually, listening to someone reading it adds a new depth to the story of Miles and I enjoyed it a lot. All the stories in this collection are not exactly "happy" stories, but leave you with something that makes you contemplate on the importance of "how" you live your life...
K.A.M. Boham
Jun 19, 2014 K.A.M. Boham rated it it was amazing
This is a fun novella. It consists of three Miles stories that take place between earlier books. There is a plot against Miles' father that ties the three stories together so the time shifts don't feel disjointed.
As Miles Vorkosigan is a favorite character of mine, I'm thrilled to read more about him. I'd recommend this novella to any other fan. I'd also recommend it for anyone just starting to read the Vorkosigan saga. The first of the three novels starts before Miles begins his career, doing
Karen
Sep 25, 2014 Karen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio, grown-up-books
I really enjoyed this set of three novellas, interspersed between other books in the Vokorsigan saga. I read this after Ethan of Athos and before Brothers in Arms (read all three novellas at once via audiobook.) It fit well enough into the timeframe here, though I've seen some lists that suggest slightly different orders. I again really enjoyed the narrator, I think he's one of the best in the business. I of course love Miles' character and his quirky ability to view situations with a little dif ...more
Kelly Lynn Thomas
I originally read this book when I was in middle school, probably in 1999 or 2000-ish. This was the first Miles Vorkosigan book I ever read, and it got me hooked on the series. My mom picked it up because of the special edition $1.99 price tag.

I just listened to the audio book because I'm working my way back through all of the Vorkosigan books in audio, and it held up well to my memory. The book is composed of 3 novellas that are excellent on their own. The frame that Bujold uses to weave them t
Olgalijo
Jul 05, 2013 Olgalijo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With Borders of Infinity Bujold shows that Miles Vorkosigan is a appealing in short stories, as in his regular lenght novels. Here Miles protagonizes three short stories, and oh boy, would it be difficult to choose which one is the best one.
Ashleigh
Dec 28, 2014 Ashleigh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The 22-story sci-fi saga that is the Vorkosigan series includes this collection of three novellas from Miles Vorkosigan's perspective. The stories are set between novels, and the events of these novellas were referenced in those novels. I only realized as I was reading this collection that Lois McMaster Bujold managed to reference these in-between tales without actually giving any spoilers. Impressive! This collection feels like a novel thanks to a short story that frames the whole package, and ...more
Sci Fi Aficionados: Borders of Infinity 20 39 Nov 25, 2013 05:50AM
  • Carpe Diem (Liaden Universe, #10)
  • The Service of the Sword (Worlds of Honor, #4)
  • Irresistible Forces
  • Rules of Engagement (The Serrano Legacy, #5)
  • The Better Part of Valor (Confederation #2)
Lois McMaster Bujold was born in 1949, the daughter of an engineering professor at Ohio State University, from whom she picked up her early interest in science fiction. She now lives in Minneapolis, and has two grown children.

Her fantasy from HarperCollins includes the award-winning Chalion series and the Sharing Knife tetralogy; her science fiction from Baen Books features the perennially bestse
More about Lois McMaster Bujold...

Vorkosigan Saga (Chronological) (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Falling Free (Vorkosigan Saga, #4)
  • Shards of Honour  (Vorkosigan Saga, #1)
  • Barrayar (Vorkosigan Saga, #7)
  • The Warrior's Apprentice (Vorkosigan Saga, #2)
  • Test of Honor (Omnibus: Shards of Honor \ The Warrior's Apprentice) (Vorkosigan Saga)
  • The Vor Game (Vorkosigan Saga, #6)
  • Cetaganda (Vorkosigan Saga, #9)
  • Ethan of Athos (Vorkosigan Saga, #3)
  • Miles, Mystery, and Mayhem (Vorkosigan Omnibus, #3)
  • Brothers in Arms (Vorkosigan Saga, #5)

“Bleeding ulcers run in my family, we give them to each other.” 19 likes
“I am not schizoid. A little manic-depressive, maybe."
"'Know thyself.'"