Start by marking “The Wizard's Tide” as Want to Read:
The Wizard's Tide

The Wizard's Tide

Here is a story of a family's struggle for unity and love during hard times. Through the poignant beauty of a child's voice, Buechner describes the joys and sorrows of the Schroeder family as they contend with personal calamity and the disastrous events of the Great Depression.
Published May 1st 1990 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Wizard's Tide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wizard's Tide

Diana Sanderson
Dec 15, 2015 Diana Sanderson rated it really liked it
A lovely, lyrical story about a young boy's struggles to understand the ways of life and family.
Jennifer Burchett
Aug 16, 2013 Jennifer Burchett rated it it was amazing
Wow. I had always thought of Buechner as a writer of sermons and theological essays, but now I've seen the light.

At the start of this book I thought it was well suited to a YA reader, because the main character is a young boy and the author uses this boy's memory to tell the story. Characters and events are so clearly described, and are painted with a child's simplicity and honest perception. For instance:

"Mrs. Shroeder had never learned to swim because she was afraid of the water and couldn't
J. Alfred
Jun 07, 2016 J. Alfred rated it really liked it
This is a book to make your heart hurt: how are we all so good and so bad all the time?
It's a little story about rich people during the Depression and how none of us is very rich after all, because richness doesn't mean much if it doesn't mean not feeling pain.
It's written beautifully as a kids' story, and I can't think of any better book to introduce how to think in an emotionally responsible way about the hurt of life. Buechner is a neglected treasure.
Emily
Aug 17, 2015 Emily rated it liked it
A well written short story of a young boy and how he processes life in Depression era America. Buechner is adept at eliciting emotion in his reader (at least in me). The analogies he offers between seen and unseen things (in this book, waves and redemption) are powerful and touching.
Rachel
Jun 02, 2008 Rachel rated it really liked it
This is a sad story about the way children deal with grief and loss. Very well written and thoughtful, it is the story of ten-year old Teddy Schroeder and his younger sister, Bean during the depression. Told by Teddy as an grown up, "as clearly and simply as he would tell a story to a child - either to a real child or to a child like the one he felt was holed up in his grown-up self with a lot of the mysteries of his childhood that he'd never gotten around to solving." A great book for those who ...more
Donna
Jan 19, 2014 Donna rated it it was amazing
I loved this tender story of a young boy and his family during the depression as he struggles to deal with the issues of, not only the economic trouble in the family, but his father's struggle with alcohol. The issues of denial and the way the family tries to keep a balance draw a fragile thread through the story.
Jonathan
Buechner's books are always tender and honest. No character's really ever tapped to play the token villain. All are just people, ordinary and yet extraordinary. This book is no different, and tells the account of young siblings Teddy and Bean and their family in Depression-era America. The book is slim at about 100 pages, but the whole story is compelling. I found the last three pages affecting; it nearly made me cry tears of both happiness and sadness, and I think Buechner wouldn't have it any ...more
Megan
Jul 18, 2009 Megan rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, history
The first piece I've ever read by Buechner. A short novella, ostensibly for children but certainly written with an eye towards adults, it details a year in one family during the Great Depression, told from the perspective of a ten-year-old boy.

Short, sweet, and sad.
Steve Penner
An autobiographical work of fiction. Hard to know when real-life experience and the imagination separate and overlap. Sad in so many ways.
Chuck
Aug 17, 2013 Chuck rated it it was amazing
At one point this novel touched me deeply and has not let me forget it in over 10 years. Love this book.
Liz
Jun 23, 2012 Liz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fabulous writer, draws you right in; sad story.
Marsha
Marsha is currently reading it
Sep 27, 2016
Marilyn
Marilyn rated it it was amazing
Sep 12, 2016
Mark
Mark rated it really liked it
Sep 11, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2016
Tina
Tina rated it really liked it
Sep 02, 2016
Sean Mantey
Sean Mantey marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2016
Andrew McNamar
Andrew McNamar rated it liked it
Aug 25, 2016
Gabriel Town
Gabriel Town rated it liked it
Aug 16, 2016
Nataliedolphin3hogwarts.Com
Nataliedolphin3hogwarts.Com is currently reading it
Aug 10, 2016
Madura
Madura rated it really liked it
Jul 31, 2016
AJ
AJ added it
Jul 26, 2016
Dan
Dan rated it liked it
Jun 24, 2016
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2016
Kelsey Crispeno
Kelsey Crispeno marked it as to-read
May 26, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Holy Terrors: Thinking About Religion After September 11
  • Why Marriage: The History Shaping Today's Debate Over Gay Equality
  • Epic Encounters: Culture, Media, and U.S. Interests in the Middle East since1945
  • The Land: Place as Gift, Promise, and Challenge in Biblical Faith (Overtures to Biblical Theology)
  • Liberalism and Social Action
  • Inner River: A Pilgrimage to the Heart of Christian Spirituality
  • Machines as the Measure of Men: Science, Technology and Ideologies of Western Dominance (Cornell studies in comparative history)
  • Journaling as a Spiritual Practice: Encountering God Through Attentive Writing
  • Journey to a Revolution: A Personal Memoir and History of the Hungarian Revolution of 1956
  • Shaped by the Word: The Power of Scripture in Spiritual Formation
  • Crave Radiance: New and Selected Poems 1990-2010
  • Ten Points
  • Body Politics: Five Practices of the Christian Community Before the Watching World
  • Living Into Focus: Choosing What Matters in an Age of Distractions
  • We the Navigators
  • Tell Me a Story: The Life-Shaping Power of Our Stories
  • Spiritual Mentoring: A Guide for Seeking & Giving Direction
  • The Tecate Journals: Seventy Days on the Rio Grande
19982
Frederick Buechner is a highly influential writer and theologian who has won awards for his poetry, short stories, novels and theological writings. His work pioneered the genre of spiritual memoir, laying the groundwork for writers such as Anne Lamott, Rob Bell and Lauren Winner.

His first book, A Long Day's Dying, was published to acclaim just two years after he graduated from Princeton. He entere
More about Frederick Buechner...