Start by marking “If You'll Be My Valentine” as Want to Read:
If You'll Be My Valentine

If You'll Be My Valentine

3.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  250 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
What kind of valentine would you send to a puppy or a kitten or your mother or big brother?

Enjoy and be inspired by a young boy's special way of making cards that no loved one can resist!

With friendly, buoyant rhymes and cheery pictures, Cynthia Rylant and Fumi Kosaka have created the perfect family valentine -- warm, funny, and utterly fresh.
Published December 14th 2004 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about If You'll Be My Valentine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about If You'll Be My Valentine

Kathryn
Cute! Nice little story-through-poetry of all the people (and animals!) in this little boy's life for whom he makes valentines.
Audrey K.
An enjoyable library book I read to my granddaughter, Kelsey, twice today.
Kayla Bennett
This was a very touching story to me that brought about true love for everything. It makes you grateful for the small and simple things in life. I loved the illustrations which brought the book to life. The story line was amazing and how it ends made me reflect on my childhood. When I first started the book, I was not sure what was happening but as I went on, it made me feel joy and happiness inside. It reminded me of when I would get valentines from special people in my life and the happiness I ...more
Destiny
Oct 16, 2014 Destiny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book. Too often valentines day is taken as a solely romantic holiday. However for kids especially they need to be taught that it is to express love for others. In a class, you generally bring valentines for the whole class. But I love this aspect that the kid has all these valentines and when he asks them to be his valentine he does something nice for them. Great teaching activities that incorporates poetry, citizenship, art and a holiday activity.
Amy Holliday
Comments on the Story:
The story has a very sweet message the boy understands that being a Valentine means doing something nice for someone else and understanding what it is that they enjoy. Each page has a short poem like valentines verse for the person to whom the little boy wants to be his valentine. There is thus a lot of rhyme, alliteration, and rhythm.

Recommended Uses for the Book:
I think that this book could be used in a kindergarten class before Valentine’s day to talk about how being a
Nan
A young boy makes unique valentines for all the people or things in his life. Very short, simple rhymes for each valentine the boy makes, a very sweet story to share with young ones at Valentine's. May be a little young for CSES, but short quick poems are fun to read aloud.
The Book Box
Mama read this to me yesterday. I liked guessing what person or animal each Valentine was for.
Mallory
Feb 14, 2014 Mallory rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't help but smile at the sweet artwork and the adorable poems. Such a lovely read :)
Josiah
Feb 13, 2010 Josiah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book is coated in a feeling of happiness, and anchored in the realism of everyday life by the perceptive writing of Cynthia Rylant. If You'll Be My Valentine is sort of a love letter from child to parent, or parent to child, or even from child to pet or the other way around! This book would be great for reading around Valentine's Day. I'm glad to know that Cynthia Rylant was willing to write a nice, simple book like this one for kids to experience around the holiday.

I'd rate If You'll Be
Kari Huddleston
Apr 26, 2014 Kari Huddleston rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-choice
Very cute rhyming book! The heart shaped constellation on the last page was so creative!
Gretchen
Jan 13, 2016 Gretchen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cute Valentine's Day poem with young boy as central character.
Corinna
Feb 08, 2016 Corinna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: storytime-books
Used for Valentine's Day storytime February 2016.
Kimberly
Jan 29, 2014 Kimberly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a great way to introduce Valentine's Day to toddlers and preschoolers. It follows a little boy as he makes special cards for all of the people, pets and things that he cherishes most. The pets, siblings, grandma, stuffed bear, and parents all get a card. Each page contains a large, cheerful illustration and a cute little poem explaining what the boy will do for each of his special valentine recipients. It's a great way to talk about doing something extra special for your loved ones ...more
Lisa Delaine Youngblood
valentines
rhyming
poetry
Crysta Xue
Cute, simple, sweet.
kate
Feb 04, 2014 kate rated it really liked it
Very adorable book about making Valentine cards.
Bridget
Feb 12, 2014 Bridget rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-the-kids
Super cute!
Candice
Feb 06, 2011 Candice rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A cute story of a little boy making Valentines for pets, family and friends. But why does the boy send a Valentine to Grandma and not to Grandpa? The rhymes are not very special. He tells his cat he'll "pet your little toes" and his dog, "I'll let you lick my feeties." Not very inspiring, but kids might like it. The illustrations are colorful, simple, and charming.
Rosa Cline
Feb 18, 2016 Rosa Cline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids, valentines
Perfect Valentine's Day book to share with a special young one in your life! Each page has a small poem a few lines long each toward someone (or something) special to the main little boy. From his sibling, to his parents, to his pet dog to pet cat. One of the better Valentine's Day books my 3 year old granddaughter and I have read this season.
Heidi
Mar 01, 2009 Heidi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Ages 3-6
A young boy makes unique valentines for all the people or things in his life. Very short, simple rhymes for each valentine the boy makes, a very sweet story to share with young ones at Valentine's. The illustrations are just as sweet and cheerful. A good one to read to groups of young children or one-on-one.
Christine
This book was a big hit at my toddler storytime! The kids got a big kick out of identifying the person/animal that the boy in the story is writing a valentine to. It was sweet and the perfect length for toddlers. I also liked that the story didn't focus on celebrating Valentine's Day in a classroom.
Kimberly
Feb 23, 2016 Kimberly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a sweet rhyming Valentines Day book. The illustrations are sweet, love the colors, and love the story. The kids loved it.
Shaley Dunn
This book is super cute when introudcing Valentines day to your class. It talks about all the different peopel and things you can do something for on Valentines day. I think the children would really enjoy this book and would be able to relate to it.
Dolly
Jan 22, 2011 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a sweet rhyming book that includes several poems in honor of Valentine's Day. The sentiments are heartfelt and the illustrations are adorable. It's a fun book to read aloud with young children.
Evelyn Matias
This book is ok. I am not sure if/how I would use it in the classroom except maybe to show the true meaning of kindness. It's a cute book about valentines day that rhymes.
Lacey Mcmanaway
Apr 09, 2013 Lacey Mcmanaway rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Cute. Wonderful story to use on a valentines day. You could also use it as a writing activity by having the students write about who their valentine would be and why.
Dorothea
Cute verses, but the illustrations weren't memorable for me. Nice to check out of the library for valentines day, but wouldn't purchase it for keeping.
The Reading Countess
This tender book about the little ways we show love to our loved ones has added bonuses of rhyme and repetition to make the burgeoning reader feel like a pro.
Lindsey Lubker
Nov 12, 2012 Lindsey Lubker rated it really liked it
Shelves: valentines
This is a good book on how to send sweet Valentines to your favorite people. It shows how important his family and pets are to him.
  • The Day It Rained Hearts
  • Valentine Mice!
  • Love, Splat
  • Froggy's First Kiss
  • The Night Before Valentine's Day (Reading Railroad Books)
  • Snowy Valentine
  • Mouse's First Valentine
  • Plumply, Dumply Pumpkin
  • The Ballad of Valentine (Picture Puffins)
  • Love, Ruby Valentine
  • This Is the Turkey
  • What Does Bunny See?: A Book of Colors and Flowers
  • The Valentine Bears
  • Franklin's Valentines
An author of fiction, nonfiction, and poetry for children and young adults as well as an author and author/illustrator of picture books for children, Cynthia Rylant is recognized as a gifted writer who has contributed memorably to several genres of juvenile literature. A prolific author who often bases her works on her own background, especially on her childhood in the West Virginia mountains, she ...more
More about Cynthia Rylant...