The Magnificent Defeat

The Magnificent Defeat

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  370 ratings  ·  18 reviews
In The Magnificent Defeat, Frederick Buechner examines what it means to follow Christ, the lessons of Christmas and Easter, the miracles of grace, and "the magnificent defeat" of the human soul of God.
Published May 8th 1985 by HarperOne (first published 1966)

To ask other readers questions about The Magnificent Defeat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Magnificent Defeat

Tim
It is amazing to me to be able to read a book of reflections/essays first published in 1966 and find so many thoughts current and relevant to today's concerns. These 144 pages containing 18 "meditations" by Buechner - a Presbyterian minister and writer - to mainly young people at various congregations is a bonus in that it can be read one reflection at a time, each providing plenty of both comfort, challenge, and clarity.

A variety of thoughts from this book that have challenged me:
From a well kn...more
Alex Stroshine
Frederick Buechner is a tremendously gifted writer - something lacking in the Church these days. This collection of sermons was a delight to read; I found myself challenged and I had to underline several lengthy passages for their beauty and truth. The one thing that distracts me from Buechner's writing at times is that, those these sermons are each inspired by a few verses, Buechner rarely uses extensive Biblical teaching to back up his thoughts, relying primarily on his own experience and his...more
John
"The Magnificent Defeat" is a series of essays originally presented as meditations to congregations consisting mostly of young people in the 1960s.
I like the plain, straight-forward, conversational style and the refreshing refusal to accept pat answers.
But to me, the meditations seemed to be lacking in depth. They seemed to be more milk than meat. Perhaps that's not so bad; we need milk to live, too.
I wanted to like this book more than I did. I read it because Philip Yancey mentioned in one of h...more
Nancy
A collection of thoughtful, beautifully written sermons by a real spiritual thinker, writer and poetic. This made a wonderful discussion book.
Patty
I don't even know where to start when writing about Frederick Buechner. His works seem effortless, they are so well written. This book has been recommended to me several times and I finally got around to reading it this year.

Every sermon in this book challenges my thinking. Buechner's words about prayer, death, joy and children all link to things I have been contemplating. But then he takes me in directions that I could not have imagined.

I know I will be reading this book again. I wish I had som...more
Jesse Myers
This book of sermons is a true gem. Buechner's style is all his own and his wisdom and insights are magnified by his elegant prose. He has that knack for teasing out the subtle turns in scripture that most readers gloss over, and cleverly turns these insights back onto the reader for reflection.

I read this book slowly, one sermon at a time over a couple weeks. I think that's best, a good sermon needs time to percolate. Most of these sermons have something that will make you sit up and take noti...more
Bryan
Jun 01, 2014 Bryan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
2/3/12
Chris
Fantastic. Buechner is one my favorites. His sermons are sung in a kind of poetry, the insights and challenges he offers are daunting and yet inspiring. Highly recommended Christian reading. Tillich trumps Buechner's intellect, but Buechner beats Tillich's aesthetics. Balanced against each other they are a powerful combination and a source of a lot of intellectual and spiritual energy.
David
Another excellent series of essays (sermons) by Buechner on various topics. I am not sure Buechner intended it, but this book is divided in a Trinitarian way. The first part's essays focus more on God the Father, the second part on Jesus Christ, and the third part on life in the Spirit. Every chapter is short, but filled with wisdom and beautiful writing. Highly recommended.
Dianne Oliver
Poetic, creative, and oddly current for having been written in 66. I was challenged to rethink some of the familiar stories- of Easter and Christmas. Very simple style-positive.
Nich Traverse

I love this guy. His insights are great, they make me challenge myself as a follower of Jesus, AND he's a really nice guy who's very humble. Gotta love it!
Angela
A great book of sermons. I used them as devotionals and was always left with something to meditate and apply in my own life.
Albert Hong
Some absolutely gorgeous sermons in this collection. The Tiger. To Be a Saint. Follow Me.
Cathy Freeman
What a beautiful spiritual encounter-I will read it again and again. The passages are so uplifting!
Steve Penner
An incredibly vivid description of the impact of Jesus' death. Highly recommended.
MsKim
this book changed my life. my favorite buechner book.
Linda S.
The most profound Buechner. A must-read.
Terence
okay book. Not bad, not great.
Daniel Dunnivan
Daniel Dunnivan is currently reading it
Aug 26, 2014
Ben
Ben is currently reading it
Aug 19, 2014
Tim Daugaard
Tim Daugaard marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Buzz
Buzz marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Stacy
Stacy marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2014
  • Spiritual Direction: Wisdom for the Long Walk of Faith
  • Watch for the Light: Readings for Advent and Christmas
  • Bread & Wine: Readings for Lent and Easter
  • Life with God: Reading the Bible for Spiritual Transformation
  • Wisdom Distilled from the Daily: Living the Rule of St. Benedict Today
  • Seeing Gray in a World of Black and White: Thoughts on Religion, Morality, and Politics
  • When God Is Silent
  • God's Joyful Surprise: Finding Yourself Loved
  • Reaching for the Invisible God: What Can We Expect to Find?
  • Soul Feast: An Invitation to the Christian Spiritual Life
  • Christ Plays in Ten Thousand Places: A Conversation in Spiritual Theology (Spiritual Theology #1)
  • The New Christians: Dispatches from the Emergent Frontier
  • Faith Seeking Understanding: An Introduction to Christian Theology
  • In Memory of Her: A Feminist Theological Reconstruction of Christian Origins
  • Thoughts in Solitude
  • Celtic Daily Prayer: Prayers and Readings From the Northumbria Community
19982
Frederick Buechner is a highly influential writer and theologian who has won awards for his poetry, short stories, novels and theological writings. His work pioneered the genre of spiritual memoir, laying the groundwork for writers such as Anne Lamott, Rob Bell and Lauren Winner.

His first book, A Long Day's Dying, was published to acclaim just two years after he graduated from Princeton. He entere...more
More about Frederick Buechner...
Telling the Truth: The Gospel as Tragedy, Comedy, and Fairy Tale Listening to Your Life: Daily Meditations with Frederick Buechner Godric The Sacred Journey: A Memoir of Early Days Telling Secrets

“The love for equals is a human thing--of friend for friend, brother for brother. It is to love what is loving and lovely. The world smiles. The love for the less fortunate is a beautiful thing--the love for those who suffer, for those who are poor, the sick, the failures, the unlovely. This is compassion, and it touches the heart of the world. The love for the more fortunate is a rare thing--to love those who succeed where we fail, to rejoice without envy with those who rejoice, the love of the poor for the rich, of the black man for the white man. The world is always bewildered by its saints. And then there is the love for the enemy--love for the one who does not love you but mocks, threatens, and inflicts pain. The tortured's love for the torturer. This is God's love. It conquers the world.” 63 likes
“And now brothers, I will ask you a terrible question, and God knows I ask it also of myself. Is the truth beyond all truths, beyond the stars, just this: that to live without him is the real death, that to die with him the only life?” 24 likes