Start by marking “Amazing Faces” as Want to Read:
Amazing Faces

Amazing Faces

In this contemporary yet timeless collection, sixteen evocative poems are brought to life in diverse and detailed faces that reveal the universal feelings we all share. Girls and boys, women and men invite us to experience their world, understand their lives, and find the connections that bring us together.
Published May 1st 2011 by Lee & Low Books (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Amazing Faces, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Amazing Faces

Bailey R
Dec 12, 2012 Bailey R rated it really liked it
I recently read Amazing Faces by: Lee Bennett Hopkins! This book is a pretty good book about different kids culture! This book is a good, different, and learning about others book because it is enjoyable, but also you learn about other people, how their culture works, and how they do different home things (like eating, learning, writing, reading, etc...) I like the idea of a poem book, but it could be a book where each chapter was about different kids ,their culture, and at home doing things! I ...more
Richie Partington
Jul 15, 2013 Richie Partington rated it it was amazing
22 September 2010 AMAZING FACES, poems selected by Lee Bennett Hopkins and Chris Soentpiet, ill., Lee & Low Books, June 2010, 40p., ISBN: 978-1-60060-334-1

In a sense, it was like out of some children's fantasy novel -- a second world existing above the one we all know and see. And only a few people outside of its inhabitants can actually lay eyes on this second world.

But now I was seeing it!

It was mid-morning, the fog had just cleared leaving San Francisco bright and brisk, and I was walkin
Sarahi
Apr 25, 2014 Sarahi added it
Shelves: multicultural
Picture book #2 Amazing Faces

1. The book Amazing Faces contains sixteen short poems with beautiful illustrations told from people of different ages, cultures and genders. It includes the African American culture, the Hispanic culture, the Anglo-Saxon culture, and they are all in America. Each poem tells about the feelings of each person and how they play a part in our world and in America. I made a text to self connection when reading the poem titled “Me x 2, Yo x 2” by Jane Medina. It’s a poem
Heidi
Apr 20, 2016 Heidi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
I loved this book because it is made up of sixteen poems that include people from different cultures and genders. It shows how diverse the United States is and how we all come together to form one beautiful country.

The book does a great job of accurately representing language, culture, setting, and relationships. The sixteen poems are about different cultures. Each poem has something about the culture in a non-stereotypical way. The poems show the cultures in a positive light. For example, lang
Tasha
May 28, 2010 Tasha rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books, poetry
This book is a great collection of poems that really reflect diversity and America. Diversity in race as well as the range of emotions in human experience, both are on display in this collection. The collection moves gracefully from one poem to the next, each fitting next to the other to make a cohesive whole. This is helped by Soentpiet’s art which celebrates emotions, humanity and community in the faces he depicts.

Hopkins has created a collection that really meshes well. Each poem and poet has
Nicole
Apr 25, 2014 Nicole rated it it was amazing
Shelves: multicultural
(Intermediate) Amazing Faces by Lee Bennett Hopkins

1.This is a great book that can facilitate student connections in text-to-self. Students can ask themselves: What does this remind me of in my life? and create a poem about their face and life. This activity can ensure that students become activity involved with the discussions of the different poems of faces and the lives of the people with that face.

2. Remembering: Which poem was your favorite? List three reasons as to why this was your favor
Christine Turner
In this contemporary yet timeless collection, acclaimed anthologist Lee Bennett Hopkins brings together sixteen selections that reveal through poetic word imagery the common universal emotions and feelings we all have, whether they be happy, excited, wishful, proud, sad, or lonely. The poems taken as a whole reflect the great variety of people in our society, bringing children of today into focus as they meet with childhood experiences and also interact with adults in their world. The moving and ...more
Renea Freeman
Oct 23, 2013 Renea Freeman rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading this book by Lee Bennett Hopkins. He did a great job at depicting different races and their cultures. The book is told from different little children of different races throughout the world. They each have a different poem that demonstrates something about their culture and something that is important to them and their family. This book can teach children what certain races do or what some important things are for their specific culture such as language, symbols, food and art. ...more
Jennifer Lanman
Feb 22, 2015 Jennifer Lanman rated it really liked it
This book was about the universe and the people that live in it. The 16 poems help show you see the diversity we have in this world and that is important to show to your children when teaching so your students get a better idea of others in this world. You want your students to understand one another and know that no one is the same so we must be respectful for what makes other people happy. The illustrations were very detailed on the men women and kids faces. They almost look real with using wa ...more
Ofilia
Sep 23, 2010 Ofilia rated it it was ok
For the most part I liked the poems in this collection. I do not like the illustrations. This type of photograph quality watercolor with lots of detail always looks to me as if the lighting is too bright. It can distort facial features which I think makes it a bit creepy. I like the multicultural aspect of the poetry particularly Me x 2 done in both English and Spanish, which cleverly illustrates the point. There are a couple of poems that I felt didn’t really fit into the overall mix: A Young S ...more
Mandee
Apr 20, 2015 Mandee rated it it was ok

This book is a themed book about culture, it has 16 short poems that are about people from different ages, genders and cultures. It tells about these people and how their culture works. It also describes their home life. It included the African American culture, the Hispanic culture, and the Anglo-Saxon culture. Each poem tells about the feelings of each person and how they play a part in our world.
This can be for grades 3rd to 4th grade.
The illustrations were very detailed on the faces. They a
Dianne J.
Jul 17, 2011 Dianne J. rated it really liked it
Age of readership: Ages 4-10

Genre: Poetry

Diversity: Ethnic, Gender and Age diversity in the United States

Illustrations: Expressive and vibrant watercolor portraiture

My response to the book: These 16 poems highlight the beauty of Asian-American, African-American, Native-American, Hispanic-American and Caucasian-American girls, boys and women and men. One poem by Jane Medina, Me x 2 or Yo x 2 is presented completely in English and Spanish.

Curricular/Programming connections: Use this book in a mul
Josselin D
My books is a poetry. My book is about poems. I like thebook "Amazing Faces" because it's interesting, funny but is also cool. My favorite poem about this book is "Amazing Face" because it's about this little cute baby and the mom actioally the mom loves the baby because it's her's doo. I'll remeber that when i was a baby i was tiny. I'll recomend this book to my first (1) and therd (3) grade teacher thoe she was the same teacher i had named Mrs.Colon ,I'll recomend the book "Amazing Faces" beca ...more
Brenda R
Oct 20, 2011 Brenda R rated it it was amazing
A mi me encanta este libro poesia.Este libro se trata de muchos poemas por ejenplo un poema se trata de un nino que dise de donde bienen los suenos y el se pone a pensar que si los suenos se esconden debajo de la almuada.Mi esquema de este libro es que yo me recuerdo cuandoyo tanbien ddesia de donde benian los suenos.Me pregunto porque o que lo iso pensar de donde benian los suenos.Me recuerdo que cuando se me cayo mi diente yo tenia un sueno que me dieron 20 dolares pero cuando desperte nomas t ...more
Mjstroup
May 31, 2013 Mjstroup rated it really liked it
Powerful illustrations give this book most of the stars on this rating. I thought that the choice of watercolor was particularly powerful and allowed a lot of emotions to seep through these images to illustrate the feelings an demotions of people who come from all different places and all have unique stories. This would be a fantastic book to use to teach about acceptance and understanding other people.
Jennifer G
Oct 17, 2011 Jennifer G rated it did not like it
A mi no me gusto este libro de poesia. Este libro se trata de personas que son blancos y morenos. el liibro esta escrito por chris Soentpiet. Ellos explican como son y como trata cada persona. Yo tengo esquema con este libro porque tengo amigas blancas y morenas. Me pregunto porque hay differentes personas. Quiro recordar cuando hay muchos persons. Le recomiendo este libro a mis amigas porque a lo mejor lo van a gustar.
Presley B
Jan 31, 2013 Presley B rated it liked it
I just finished "Amazing Faces", and I liked it. It is a book told through poetry. To me the theme of the story is that it is okay to be different. Everyone is different. I thought the illustrations where amazing. I was able to figure out the idea of the story and the theme early on. It doesn't matter if you are from a different country or you have a different color of skin. It just matter that you are you.
Giovanni Q.
Oct 26, 2011 Giovanni Q. rated it it was amazing
A mi me encanta este libro de poesia.Este libro se trata de las caras como puede pasar en tu vida como algen te puede envitar a comer una hanburgesa y unas papas y ay te puedes enamorar o tu mamate mira y dice que eres el nino mas vonito del mundo y algunas veses no quieren aser tu amigo porque eres intelijente,vonito.Este cuento me recuerda que un nino no tenia amigos.?porque isieron este libro.Yo le recomiendo este libro a eduardo porque es interesante.
Jenniferg
Oct 12, 2011 Jenniferg rated it did not like it
amino megusta este libro de poesia.Este libro se trata de personos que son biancos y morenos.El libro esta escrito por chris Soentpiet.Ellos explican comoson y como setratan codo persona.yo tengo esquema con este libro porque tengo amigas blancas y morenas.me pregunto porque hay diferentes personons.quiero recordar cuando hay munchas personos.Le recomiendo este libro ami amiga porque alamegor aellos le va a gustar.
Julie Esanu
Jan 26, 2012 Julie Esanu rated it really liked it
This collection of poems celebrates diversity. Lee Bennett Hopkins has compiled a selection of poetry that speaks to the shared experiences and emotions of people regardless of their race, culture, or national origin. This anthology includes works from Nikki Grimes, Janet Wong, Pat Mora and many other celebrated poets and concludes with Langston Hughes' celebrated poem--My People. Chris Soentpiet's illustrations reflect the diversity of poets and experiences shared in this book.
Annalise
Nov 19, 2013 Annalise rated it it was amazing
This is a great anthology of poems that brings together people from all around us! The collection of poems features different people and their emotions. Many of the poems are told by children and relate to real school issues liking finding a friend in a new school. The author, Lee Bennett Hopkins, put together this book of poems to show how we are all connected by our emotions. I would recommend for grades 3-5.
Eileen Corbett
Apr 19, 2011 Eileen Corbett rated it really liked it
This collection of sixteen poems portray the many kinds of people that make up our nation. Diversity in race, age, gender, and various emotions are present. The book if full of expressive illustrations that help bring each poem to life. Each reader will be able to relate to some of the poems on a personal level because they are about life. I especially enjoyed A Young Soldier by Prince Redcloud. This collection of poems will help readers celebrate what America is all about.
Ashley Hartley
I decided to include this collection of poems in my social justice text set because emphasizes the importance of diversity. By promoting diversity (specifically through multiculturalism in this collection) the students can be encouraged to respect others who are different from them. It is important to emphasize that you should respect people not only for the interests that you both may share, but for their differences as well.
Angie
Jun 06, 2011 Angie rated it really liked it
Forgot to mark this one even though I read it a while back. Beautifully done. Looking through it again just about made me cry--A Young Soldier. One brother is already deployed and the second one left just this morning for basic training. :[

Trying to think through a lesson using this and the "Seek first to understand, then to be understood" habit (our school will be a "Lighthouse" campus next year) as there are so many different people represented in the book.
Victoria .c
Feb 22, 2012 Victoria .c rated it did not like it
I kind of like this book because it is cool andit ispoetry and reading poems is fun.Te books general is poetry.It is about poetryand I like a poem that is called Hamburger Heaven becouse they found in love.My schema is that my tio Jose all moust ell in love whit a girl and I swaw him.I have a question is about ? why thit the author write this poem?I WILL RECOMEND THIS BOOK TO MIS.COLEMAN SO SHE CAN READED AS A BLUEBONNET.
Richelle
Mar 14, 2011 Richelle rated it it was amazing
Hopkins has compiled a stellar collection of poetry celebrating the many different faces of America. Many of the poets are well-known (Yolen, Hughes, Mora, Grimes), but I must admit it's Soentpiet's illustrations that are the real star of the book. Beautifully realistic, he captures the nuances in age, color, and emotion in a way that jumps off the page.
Alma B.
Oct 06, 2011 Alma B. rated it it was amazing
I like this book because it shows you olot of persons and the differat things they do. This book is an instresting poetry book. And i have schema with all the persons because same mexican like me . And my Queston is i wonder how many pepol are from oter cites and contries my favorit poem is the hero because my broter plays scooer like one of the poems
Melvin V.
Oct 19, 2011 Melvin V. rated it it was amazing
Me gusta este libro de Poesia.

Poesia

Mi poema favorito es Karate Kid porque es como la pelicula KARATE KID.Mi esquema es una nina lee y cuenta por 2 y yo leo y cuento por 2.Porque el author hiso muchos cuentos de personas en el libro de AMAZING FACES.

Y voy a recomender este libro a mi clase.
Deanna
Jun 06, 2011 Deanna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bluebonnets-2011
This is one of my favorites. The illustrations are AMAZING! I love the expressions and the different features. My favorite poem here and illustration is from Me X 2. It is in English and Spanish. The character in the illustration is adorable with some sass and innocence at the same time. LOVE IT!
Aimee T
Oct 07, 2011 Aimee T rated it it was amazing
MY opinion is that this book is my favrit book becuase it talks about how pepole are diffrent contres.THIS book is poems.MY conection whith this book is we meet new faces at school. I recomend this book to blanca it talks about new faces they meet.THIS book shows new kids making friends.THIS book is poetry.
  • Balarama: A Royal Elephant
  • Forest Has a Song: Poems
  • The Wonder Book
  • I Lay My Stitches Down: Poems of American Slavery
  • Forget-Me-Nots: Poems to Learn by Heart
  • Tap Dancing on the Roof: Sijo (Poems)