Amazing Faces

Amazing Faces

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  201 ratings  ·  70 reviews
In this contemporary yet timeless collection, sixteen evocative poems are brought to life in diverse and detailed faces that reveal the universal feelings we all share. Girls and boys, women and men invite us to experience their world, understand their lives, and find the connections that bring us together.
Published June 30th 2010 by Lee & Low Books (first published 2010)

Bailey R
I recently read Amazing Faces by: Lee Bennett Hopkins! This book is a pretty good book about different kids culture! This book is a good, different, and learning about others book because it is enjoyable, but also you learn about other people, how their culture works, and how they do different home things (like eating, learning, writing, reading, etc...) I like the idea of a poem book, but it could be a book where each chapter was about different kids ,their culture, and at home doing things! I...more
Kathryn Yegge
A big 5 stars to this wonderful anthology of poetry. I love how the author decided to showcase every different race in this great country of ours. From the mother sewing in Chinatown to the young Hispanic boy watching the sunset at Guadalupe Peak. From the football hero to the young man returning from war... this book is awesome. My connection with this book is that I have a firegighter and soldier in my family and the book has poems about both. I think everyone should read this book, whether yo...more
Sarahi
Apr 25, 2014 Sarahi added it
Shelves: multicultural
Picture book #2 Amazing Faces

1. The book Amazing Faces contains sixteen short poems with beautiful illustrations told from people of different ages, cultures and genders. It includes the African American culture, the Hispanic culture, the Anglo-Saxon culture, and they are all in America. Each poem tells about the feelings of each person and how they play a part in our world and in America. I made a text to self connection when reading the poem titled “Me x 2, Yo x 2” by Jane Medina. It’s a poem...more
Nicole
(Intermediate) Amazing Faces by Lee Bennett Hopkins

1.This is a great book that can facilitate student connections in text-to-self. Students can ask themselves: What does this remind me of in my life? and create a poem about their face and life. This activity can ensure that students become activity involved with the discussions of the different poems of faces and the lives of the people with that face.

2. Remembering: Which poem was your favorite? List three reasons as to why this was your favor...more
Richie Partington
22 September 2010 AMAZING FACES, poems selected by Lee Bennett Hopkins and Chris Soentpiet, ill., Lee & Low Books, June 2010, 40p., ISBN: 978-1-60060-334-1

In a sense, it was like out of some children's fantasy novel -- a second world existing above the one we all know and see. And only a few people outside of its inhabitants can actually lay eyes on this second world.

But now I was seeing it!

It was mid-morning, the fog had just cleared leaving San Francisco bright and brisk, and I was walkin...more
Tasha
This book is a great collection of poems that really reflect diversity and America. Diversity in race as well as the range of emotions in human experience, both are on display in this collection. The collection moves gracefully from one poem to the next, each fitting next to the other to make a cohesive whole. This is helped by Soentpiet’s art which celebrates emotions, humanity and community in the faces he depicts.

Hopkins has created a collection that really meshes well. Each poem and poet has...more
Renea Freeman
I enjoyed reading this book by Lee Bennett Hopkins. He did a great job at depicting different races and their cultures. The book is told from different little children of different races throughout the world. They each have a different poem that demonstrates something about their culture and something that is important to them and their family. This book can teach children what certain races do or what some important things are for their specific culture such as language, symbols, food and art....more
Ofilia
For the most part I liked the poems in this collection. I do not like the illustrations. This type of photograph quality watercolor with lots of detail always looks to me as if the lighting is too bright. It can distort facial features which I think makes it a bit creepy. I like the multicultural aspect of the poetry particularly Me x 2 done in both English and Spanish, which cleverly illustrates the point. There are a couple of poems that I felt didn’t really fit into the overall mix: A Young S...more
Tiffany Wideman
Amazing Faces is a book that is a collection of poems. Each poem in the book is written by different diverse writers and are all unique in their own way. I would use this book in the classroom to teach writing poetry to my students. I will emphasize how it is your feelings and also how it doesn't have to rhyme to be a poem.
Dianne J.
Age of readership: Ages 4-10

Genre: Poetry

Diversity: Ethnic, Gender and Age diversity in the United States

Illustrations: Expressive and vibrant watercolor portraiture

My response to the book: These 16 poems highlight the beauty of Asian-American, African-American, Native-American, Hispanic-American and Caucasian-American girls, boys and women and men. One poem by Jane Medina, Me x 2 or Yo x 2 is presented completely in English and Spanish.

Curricular/Programming connections: Use this book in a mul...more
Josselin D
My books is a poetry. My book is about poems. I like thebook "Amazing Faces" because it's interesting, funny but is also cool. My favorite poem about this book is "Amazing Face" because it's about this little cute baby and the mom actioally the mom loves the baby because it's her's doo. I'll remeber that when i was a baby i was tiny. I'll recomend this book to my first (1) and therd (3) grade teacher thoe she was the same teacher i had named Mrs.Colon ,I'll recomend the book "Amazing Faces" beca...more
Michelle
I like the poem selection, but dislike the illustrator's style.
Brenda R
A mi me encanta este libro poesia.Este libro se trata de muchos poemas por ejenplo un poema se trata de un nino que dise de donde bienen los suenos y el se pone a pensar que si los suenos se esconden debajo de la almuada.Mi esquema de este libro es que yo me recuerdo cuandoyo tanbien ddesia de donde benian los suenos.Me pregunto porque o que lo iso pensar de donde benian los suenos.Me recuerdo que cuando se me cayo mi diente yo tenia un sueno que me dieron 20 dolares pero cuando desperte nomas t...more
Elizabeth
"Amazing Faces" is truly an amazing book that is best enjoyed by sharing and reading with friends and family of all ages. The illustrations are gorgeous and truly capture the intended sentiment of each poem. Here's my favorite poem in the book:

Mex x2

'Cause most speak one,
but I speak two!

-Jane Medina
Eileen Corbett
This collection of sixteen poems portray the many kinds of people that make up our nation. Diversity in race, age, gender, and various emotions are present. The book if full of expressive illustrations that help bring each poem to life. Each reader will be able to relate to some of the poems on a personal level because they are about life. I especially enjoyed A Young Soldier by Prince Redcloud. This collection of poems will help readers celebrate what America is all about.
Julie Esanu
This collection of poems celebrates diversity. Lee Bennett Hopkins has compiled a selection of poetry that speaks to the shared experiences and emotions of people regardless of their race, culture, or national origin. This anthology includes works from Nikki Grimes, Janet Wong, Pat Mora and many other celebrated poets and concludes with Langston Hughes' celebrated poem--My People. Chris Soentpiet's illustrations reflect the diversity of poets and experiences shared in this book.
Giovanni Q.
A mi me encanta este libro de poesia.Este libro se trata de las caras como puede pasar en tu vida como algen te puede envitar a comer una hanburgesa y unas papas y ay te puedes enamorar o tu mamate mira y dice que eres el nino mas vonito del mundo y algunas veses no quieren aser tu amigo porque eres intelijente,vonito.Este cuento me recuerda que un nino no tenia amigos.?porque isieron este libro.Yo le recomiendo este libro a eduardo porque es interesante.
Angie
Forgot to mark this one even though I read it a while back. Beautifully done. Looking through it again just about made me cry--A Young Soldier. One brother is already deployed and the second one left just this morning for basic training. :[

Trying to think through a lesson using this and the "Seek first to understand, then to be understood" habit (our school will be a "Lighthouse" campus next year) as there are so many different people represented in the book.
Ashley Hartley
I decided to include this collection of poems in my social justice text set because emphasizes the importance of diversity. By promoting diversity (specifically through multiculturalism in this collection) the students can be encouraged to respect others who are different from them. It is important to emphasize that you should respect people not only for the interests that you both may share, but for their differences as well.
Jenniferg
amino megusta este libro de poesia.Este libro se trata de personos que son biancos y morenos.El libro esta escrito por chris Soentpiet.Ellos explican comoson y como setratan codo persona.yo tengo esquema con este libro porque tengo amigas blancas y morenas.me pregunto porque hay diferentes personons.quiero recordar cuando hay munchas personos.Le recomiendo este libro ami amiga porque alamegor aellos le va a gustar.
Jennifer G
A mi no me gusto este libro de poesia. Este libro se trata de personas que son blancos y morenos. el liibro esta escrito por chris Soentpiet. Ellos explican como son y como trata cada persona. Yo tengo esquema con este libro porque tengo amigas blancas y morenas. Me pregunto porque hay differentes personas. Quiro recordar cuando hay muchos persons. Le recomiendo este libro a mis amigas porque a lo mejor lo van a gustar.
Victoria .c
I kind of like this book because it is cool andit ispoetry and reading poems is fun.Te books general is poetry.It is about poetryand I like a poem that is called Hamburger Heaven becouse they found in love.My schema is that my tio Jose all moust ell in love whit a girl and I swaw him.I have a question is about ? why thit the author write this poem?I WILL RECOMEND THIS BOOK TO MIS.COLEMAN SO SHE CAN READED AS A BLUEBONNET.
Presley B
I just finished "Amazing Faces", and I liked it. It is a book told through poetry. To me the theme of the story is that it is okay to be different. Everyone is different. I thought the illustrations where amazing. I was able to figure out the idea of the story and the theme early on. It doesn't matter if you are from a different country or you have a different color of skin. It just matter that you are you.
RLL52013_AnnaliseCaudill
This is a great anthology of poems that brings together people from all around us! The collection of poems features different people and their emotions. Many of the poems are told by children and relate to real school issues liking finding a friend in a new school. The author, Lee Bennett Hopkins, put together this book of poems to show how we are all connected by our emotions. I would recommend for grades 3-5.
Mjstroup
Powerful illustrations give this book most of the stars on this rating. I thought that the choice of watercolor was particularly powerful and allowed a lot of emotions to seep through these images to illustrate the feelings an demotions of people who come from all different places and all have unique stories. This would be a fantastic book to use to teach about acceptance and understanding other people.
Amazing Faces is a collection of poems that celebrate all kinds of diversity. Hopkins chose poems from all kinds of regions,--urban, suburban, rural, and country--and socioeconomic statuses, and cultures. Some poems use Spanish words or translations, while others are written entirely in English about a different culture. The book focuses on individuality, cultural heritage, and identity.
Robin
Lee Bennett Hopkins has done a wonderful job choosing poems for this book. The style of poetry is varied, as are the subjects discussed and cultures represented. The vibrant and detailed illustrations by Chris Soentpiet make the poems even better. I read a five selections aloud to my fifth grade classes yesterday, and both the poems and illustrations were met with approval.
Yesli S
A mi meencanta este libro que meda poesia.Este libro de poesia setrata de lo quiere hace por enlo un nino en la historia ai ninos que quieren ase bombero.Este libro me recuerda de cuando yo estabaen karate. yo quiero recorda el poema de karate.Yo le quiero recomedar este libro a ms.juan porque habla de lo que quiere aser.Mi reguta es porque ablan de los tipo de trabajos.
Edgar C.
A mi me encanta este libro de poesia .Este libro esta escrito por muchos autores.Este libro se trata de poemas de personas.Yo tengo esquema con este libro porque en mi clase hicimos poemas.Yo quiero recordar este libro que los poemas son de personas.Yo selo recomiendo a Denis porque es de gols para tu futur.Mi poemas favorito es the un soldado joven que regresa a casa.

Denise Z
My opinion of the book is that i like it alot.Its genere is poems.The book is about people that are diffrenton the Unites States.My shema is that I love poems and I like to writh them.I will recomend the book to the world cause is poetry and theres diffrent people and the Unites States.My question is that why are there poems of the diffrent people on the Unites States?
  • Goal!
  • BookSpeak!: Poems about Books
  • In the Wild
  • Outside Your Window: A First Book of Nature
  • Peaceful Pieces: Poems and Quilts About Peace
I Am the Book Sharing the Seasons: A Book of Poems City I Love Nasty Bugs Oh, No! Where Are My Pants? and Other Disasters: Poems