Start by marking “Socks” as Want to Read:
Socks

Socks

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  5,369 ratings  ·  288 reviews
Socks is one happy cat....He lives with a nice young couple called Brickers who play with him, pet him, feed him treats, and always have a warm lap for him to sit in. Then a new baby joins the family Suddenly, the Brickers are sharing their laps and love with Charles William, and Socks is getting into trouble. He runs from a phantom dog, wrestles with Nana's best wig, and ...more
Published November 1st 1990 by Perfection Learning (first published 1973)

To ask other readers questions about Socks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Socks

Smokinjbc
Jun 18, 2008 Smokinjbc added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: every kid..with or without a tabby cat but be prepared to procure one shortly.
Shelves: booksthatrock
Ok.. some embarrassing sentimental reviewing follows. Read at your own peril.

My boss, who just got a little tabby kitten for her 6 year old, was looking for books for her to read this summer. So of course, I think immediately of Socks and the summer I was six years old and got my own tabby kitten and read "Socks" sometime immediately after that. Changed my life.. or at least sparked my reading of books. So for all you parents out there...

1. Get your kid a tabby kitten (Tabbies are the best- I'm
Linda
OMGosh. I laughed so hard. Beverly Cleary is surely a cat person, because she has totally pegged the way a cat acts and thinks. Poor Socks has a terrible time when his family brings a baby named Charles William home to live with them. His antics trying to regain their affection are adorable. Cleary's spare, understated prose lend to the appeal for kids, and although it was first released in 1973, any cat lover today will howl with laughter. If you don't enjoy this book, then you're probably a do ...more
Jennifer Margulis
This book for young readers is told from the point of view of Socks, a kitten with white feet who becomes the beloved pet of a young married couple, the Brickers. The first chapter takes place outside a grocery store where a brother and sister are trying to find homes for their "nice, fresh kittens." When a harried looking mom with too many children agrees to take Socks, the siblings hide him in the mailbox. They don't want their favorite kitten to be mistreated by too many little hands.

The Bric
Michelle Isenhoff
Socks is written in true Beverly Cleary style. The cat for whom the book is named was the Bricker’s only pet, pampered, loved and a little spoiled. But his mistress’ comfortable lap began to shrink, and then one day Mr. and Mrs. Bricker brought home a new pet. One that wailed and smelled funny and stole all the attention that used to be lavished on Socks.

Written for ages six to nine (though probably independent only for the upper half), Socks will resonate with any child who’s owned a pet or bee
Jeff
Do you know how sometimes you find just the right book for the moment? As a bit of serendipity, Socks written one year before I was born found its way into my families' life at just the right moment this year. My daughter is five-years-old now and a few months of ago we welcomed her brother into the family. The new addition hasn't been 100% smooth. As anyone that has lived with a five-year-old and a new born will attest they both demand a good bit of attention. Particularly when the five-year-ol ...more
Dolly
Feb 19, 2013 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children starting to read longer chapter books
We haven't read as many books by Beverly Cleary together as I thought we would, but every once in awhile, I sneak one in. I think at this point, I will encourage our youngest to read them on her own, since many of them are still age-appropriate for her. She brought this book out from our bookshelves and read it for her independent reading for school and I read it after she did.

It's an entertaining story about the cat of a household and the turmoil that disturbs his happy life when a baby joins
Susann
When my sister told me that my nephew was overcome with glee, after the cat jumped into his crib, I knew I needed to track down an older edition of Socks for both of them.

Cleary writes from the cat's perspective and shows a pretty sweet life with the Brickers, until a BABY comes to stay. Baby life is a tough transition for everyone, especially Socks, but baby and kitty ticky eventually triumph together in a friendship scene equal to Rick and Louis at the end of Casablanca.

I strongly recommend r
Christina
For someone who didn't read Beverly Cleary as a child, I sure have read a lot of her stuff (with my kids) as an adult, and it always leaves me wondering, "Why didn't I read more of her books as a kid?" She's a good writer, entertaining, and very good at capturing the essence of a situation or character. In Socks, she does a wonderful job of giving us the perspective of a cat and, towards the end, a baby. I don't even like cats or babies very much (sadly, it's true . . . don't hate me :), but I r ...more
KatieLynn
I have read Socks so many times. I could basically give a review of this book, to where I would spill out the entire story. So right now, I will give a brief review.

The story starts out where a little girl and a boy are trying to sell their kittens. The kittens ARE selling, which makes the girl scared. She has a special kitten named Socks who she loves the most. No matter what her pleads or cries, a couple decides to adopt Socks, and nothing could stop them.

As Socks is living with the couple, h
Wayne S.
Socks is a seven week old gray tabby kitten with four white paws. Debbie and George sell him for 50 cents to a young married couple, Bill and Marilyn Bricker, who take him to their shabby house with a weedy lawn. As time goes on, Socks is one happy cat because he gets a lot of attention and all his desires are met—at least until Mr. and Mrs. Bricker bring home their “other pet,” a new baby named Charles William. Suddenly the Brickers have less and less time for Socks who feels left out and seems ...more
Amelia
A fellow teacher recommended this book to me. I used it for one of my second grade reading groups during our Beverly Cleary literacy circles unit. This story is about a cat named Socks and his experiences when his owners, the Beckers bring a new baby into the house. This was a fun chapter book to read with my students and was a great way to work with them on their decoding, fluency and comprehension. The students enjoyed reading about Socks’ sensitivities towards and interactions with the Becker ...more
Julie Decker
Socks is a cat who's happy with his human parents until suddenly he has to share their attention with someone else: A tiny human, his parents' new baby. He's not first in their lives anymore! So he begins to act out, though you can see in his actions that he's lonely and feeling passed over (especially when he enjoys the lavish lap of a babysitter). Poor Socks wonders if life will ever go back to normal, but soon enough the baby gets old enough to become a playmate. . . .

Kids who have been displ
Melody
It's not only third-graders whose heads Beverly Cleary can get into. She also channels cats. Socks is totally believable and adorable in every particular. He's bewildered by the appearance of a new baby in his family, and how he copes with the changes which ensue is both comical and poignant. The babysitter is priceless! I want to grow up and be the babysitter.
Whitney Benjamin
This was really cute! My friend Erin lent me this because it was one of her favourite books as a child (my friends have the tendency to make me read their favourite childhood books because as I child I was strictly devout to Harry Potter and The Babysitter's Club and therefore missed out on a lot of other great books apparently). I enjoyed it even now as an adult and I know I would have loved it so much as I child if I wasn't desperately trying to read all ten thousand Babysitter's Club books an ...more
Marlene
I've always loved Beverly Cleary's books. They are wholesome, fun to rad stories. I read Socks when my children was young. It was okay, but not my favorite. HOWEVER, we had a stray tabby cat have kittens in our yard last year. We were "stuck" with most of them, and have fallen in love. I just read Socks again, and loved it.
Socks acts so much like our cats that I laughed more than once. I had a smile on my face through the whole book. I can tell that Beverly Cleary really knows cats. It was a p
Bailey
Socks by Beverly Clearly, is such a cute, amazing and emotional book. Socks is a cat who is born into a family without a lot of money and crazy fighting children. He is brought to a store where he is to be sold, when he is accidentally thrown into a mailbox by the children and that changes his life forever. This book has such a powerful way a exemplifying cuteness and emotions into one short story. Socks makes the reader feel how he does as the book is almost written in the point of view as the ...more
David B
Beverly Cleary tells the charming story of a cat whose position as the beloved center of the family is upset by the arrival of a new baby. Her refusal to anthropomorphize the cat added to my appreciation of this book immensely. The theme of pet jealousy was particularly relevant for me when I read this book since my wife and I had four cats and were also expecting our first child.

I have an old edition and prefer the original illustrations by Beatrice Darwin. This is the first story I read to my
Danielle Wood
This was cute :) Can't wait until Jack is old enough to enjoy books like this!
Trisha Patel
Socks is a great book about a cat named Socks, written by Beverly Cleary. Socks thought he was the one who got all the attention. But when the Brickers bring in another pet, Socks gets lonely. He then has to face a series of problems. The baby's crying, invisible cats and dogs and big old Taylor. Will Socks get defeated by old Taylor or will he loose the battle. I think this might connect to all pets. as you know many pets have owners that go to work. And the owners don't have a house hold famil ...more
Jessica
A favorite from my childhood
Josiah
I definitely want to give this book two and a half stars, and was very much on the fence as to whether to round that rating up or down. Socks is a nice story with much to offer. I tend to believe that Beverly Cleary came into her best years of empathetic and insightful writing beginning in the 1970s and then extending through to the 1990s, and during that stretch of time there were few authors more perceptive at making the emotions that real kids experience as accessible and understandable as s ...more
NebraskaIcebergs
Socks is an adorable cat story by Beverly Cleary, one of children’s literature most-beloved authors. It’s always a delight to pick up a book by Cleary, whose characters ranged from kindergarteners to teens and dogs and cats to mice. I also enjoy any opportunity to read an animal story. Socks also has special significance to me, because I read it aloud to my own cat Lucy in the few days before she died.

A young tabby cat with four white paws, Socks was the favorite cat of Debbie and her brother Ge
Flying Sandals
fangirl gif Pictures, Images and Photos

Warning, this is going to be a very nostalgic review so don't take this to heart

Socks the Cat

What I expected:
fat cat Pictures, Images and Photos

What I got:
kitten gif Pictures, Images and Photos

Socks is a adorable kitten who is adopted by the Bricker family. He is in absolute heaven with the Brickers' until one day Mrs. Bricker stomach starts to get bigger. Soon after Mrs. Bricker has a baby and Socks goes to war, trying to regain the love and attention that he once had. Socks is a well-devopled cute little tabby cat who is completely sympathetic in his adventures
Jessi Galloway
It’s been quite some time since I last looked through the pages of Socks. As a child I loved animals and had a yellow Tabby growing up, as well as an assortment of animals ranging from domestic to just plain strange.
I don’t remember exactly how I ended up with this book, only that my mom and I would take turns reading it out loud every night before bed when I was in elementary school. When I was cleaning out my books shelf I came across it once again, which prompted me to write this short revie
Bobbi
Socks is a sweet story about a kitten adopted from a cardboard box who goes to live with a young family. Socks has some adjustments to make as his mistresses lap starts to shrink until one day his masters come home with a tiny little human.

The story explores what often happens when a pet is displaced by a new baby, how things might look from the pets point of view and how adjustments are needed as families grow. This story would be useful for a child who is expecting a new sibling.
Danielle
I don't know what stroke of genius led Cleary to tell a new-baby-comes-to-stay story from the perspective of a cat, but it's one reason why so many of her books are classics.

I loved this book when I was younger, and a recent reread has not convinced me otherwise.

If you love cats, hate cats, have a younger sibling or know someone who will, read this book. If you're an only child, read this book.

Oh, what the heck. Just read it! You'll love it.
Bonnie
Not as charming as the Henry Huggins books, probably because of the lack of solid human characters to go along with the title character. And the pace moved really quickly. One minute Socks is a kitten and the next thing you know he's grown and his humans have a baby. The final scene of Socks and baby Charles William bonding made the whole book worth it, however. And the edition I read had a darling illustration to go along with it.
Narayana Almanza29259
I thought the book Socks was a pretty good book. This was okay from how it described the cats life at first then how it changed. An example is "This time he stood at Mr.Bricker's feet and looked up uncertainly as if to say,"I'm part of the family,too."The books writing is effective enough to feel for the cat.I would recommend this book to people who like cats or wants to read something a little funny,
Ariel
I love Beverly Cleary so I'm not sure how I missed this one about a cat who must learn to share his home with an attention-grabbing intruder...a human baby, who proves is worth to the sulky jealous kitty in the end. It's Cleary's only book told exclusively from an animal's point of view (though we do see a lot of the world according to Ribsy the dog in the Henry Huggins stories) and it's just charming..
Goodreads Librari...: Combining Editions - Socks by Beverly Cleary 2 159 Nov 26, 2013 10:54AM
  • Ralph S. Mouse: teacher guide
  • "B" Is for Betsy
  • The One in the Middle Is the Green Kangaroo
  • Clara and the Bookwagon
  • The Hotel Cat
  • Riding the Pony Express
  • McBroom's Wonderful One-Acre Farm: Three Tall Tales
  • The Grand Escape (Cat Pack #1)
  • Pinky Pye (The Pyes, #2)
  • Stories from Around the World
  • The Toothpaste Millionaire
  • Dolphin Treasure
  • Prairie School
  • Maps and Globes
  • Along Came a Dog
  • The Dragons of Blueland (My Father's Dragon, #3)
  • A Dog Called Kitty
  • I, Houdini
Beverly Cleary (born April 12, 1916) is the author of over 30 books for young adults and children. Her characters are normal children facing challenges that many of us face growing up, and her stories are liberally laced with humour. Some of her best known and loved characters are Ramona Quimby and her sister Beatrice ("Beezus"), Henry Huggins, and Ralph S. Mouse.

Beverly Cleary was born Beverly At
More about Beverly Cleary...
Beezus and Ramona (Ramona, #1) Ramona Quimby, Age 8 (Ramona, #6) The Mouse and the Motorcycle (Ralph S. Mouse, #1) Ramona the Pest (Ramona, #2) Ramona the Brave (Ramona, #3)