Start by marking “Moral Philosophy: A Reader” as Want to Read:
Moral Philosophy: A Reader

Moral Philosophy: A Reader

3.41 of 5 stars 3.41  ·  rating details  ·  39 ratings  ·  6 reviews
The third edition builds on the strengths of the second by including a unit of classic readings in applied ethics.
Published October 3rd 2008 by Hackett Pub Co (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Moral Philosophy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Moral Philosophy

Derek
This book has many of the essential readings, and I think overall the editing has been well done. I was a bit surprised by the portions selected from Thomas Aquinas--I think there are better selections. I also think that the book would benefit from adding readings about cognitivism and noncognitivism in morality--given that these seem to be central to metaethical debates today. I also feel like the section on Utilitarianism could use another article defending a utilitarian view. Overall, I think ...more
Sylvan Finger
I don't know how to rate this. Many of the documents seem prematurely published. However, many were probably more journal entries of moral philosophical ideas. There is a great verity of ideas to stimulate the mind. So what is moral? Every idea has is strengths and weaknesses. Perhaps we ought to leave it to the philosophers as to what is most moral for the kingdom of earth.
Edward
This book is an excellent introduction to the various theories of ethics with pro and con essays and excerpts on each theory. It gives, in one handy collection, insight into the thought processes that shaped--and continues to shape--our world today. I enjoyed reading this book and it has actually caused me to say to several friends and co-workers, "I'm enjoying studying philosophy."

I also wrote a blog post regarding one of the essays in the Applied Ethics part. You can read the post by going to
Hilary
This is the only primary source text I got from my 300-level Philosophy class, and this is NOT a 300-level book. The book has a decidedly right-wing slant, and the excerpts are cut at interesting places so as to obscure the meaning of the texts. Don't read it as your only source.
Mesha
I had to read it for a university course. Was an interesting read, even if some of the great philosophers were rather difficult understand on the first go over. Glad I took the course and glad I read through this text.
Chris Kalbach
Good book from a wide range of philosophers. The works are well chosen and show many different views of ethics.
Albert Zapata
Albert Zapata marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Aditya Guntoori
Aditya Guntoori is currently reading it
Jan 23, 2015
Yuta
Yuta marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
Emmanuel Appiah
Emmanuel Appiah marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
Nadonna
Nadonna marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
HaameD
HaameD marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
Tim
Tim marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Jiovanni Sosa
Jiovanni Sosa marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Oscar Leon
Oscar Leon marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Kevin
Kevin marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Willette Fields
Willette Fields marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Jiaxin Chen
Jiaxin Chen marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Ethics: Discovering Right and Wrong Philosophy of Religion: An Anthology Classics of Philosophy Philosophy: The Quest for Truth The Moral Life: An Introductory Reader In Ethics And Literature