Start by marking “A Soldier for Keeps” as Want to Read:
A Soldier for Keeps

A Soldier for Keeps (The McKaslin Clan: Series 3 #9)

4.20  ·  Rating Details  ·  215 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Lexie Evans is "not" looking for a relationship with Pierce Granger. And that's just fine by the handsome soldier. Neither one has time for romance, but they can both commit to friendship, right? Then, after months as pen pals, Pierce visits Lexie's family ranch in Wyoming. Face to face with her friend, Lexie realizes her feelings toward him have changed. She's finally rea ...more
Published March 1st 2009 by Steeple Hill Love Inspired Suspense (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about A Soldier for Keeps, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Soldier for Keeps

Anna Marie
Sacchrine 'Love Inspired' story that just held NO surprises. The only reason I picked it up was because I *LOVE* correspondence literature, and this is a letter-writing book.

Lexie is THE most boring character ever written into a novel. She's a grad student who loves horses and skis, sure, but it's completely incongruous to her personality. She's a drag - a 'bookworm' except that she has no passion for it... or horses, or skiing, or anything else. The way Lexie acts toward Pierce from moment one
Kate
Feb 04, 2015 Kate rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good gravy!
I really enjoy reading Jillian Hart novels . . . she has such a gentle, peaceful way of writing. But with this one, she left me hanging almost until the very end. Seriously, when you want to drop-kick the hero because he's being a doofus well into the last chapter . . .
Thankfully for Pierce, he does get it right in the end.
Jan Mcleod
The stories in the McKaslin series are cute and entertaining, but all of them have the same basic theme: one person of a would-be relationship doesn't want a relationship with the opposite sex for fear he/she will be hurt again. Of course, that is not the final word in the relationship!
Holly
Apr 23, 2009 Holly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love books with military heroes/heroines, so this was an easy choice to pick up. I really like Harlequin's new line of books that don't have all the sex, just the romance. This was a good book with a great start and two great main characters. I started out thinking I would give it 4 stars, but toward the end the whole "angst" thing between the two was starting to get old, as the author had started it quite near the beginning. And then the end I felt she just sort of threw on because she was ti ...more
Samantha Amick
Dec 24, 2014 Samantha Amick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sweet story

I couldn't put this book down. It was a sweet story. This was my first book from this series. I plan to read other books from this series.
Kame
Feb 26, 2012 Kame rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pierce and Lexie have both decided they do not want to love anyone again - because you just get hurt.

They decide they can be friends, and e-mail each other during Pierce's military deployment. Both recognize they have feelings that are more than friendship, but are determined not to let them grow or share these with the other. The happy ending came very abruptly and maybe a little far fetched for me. But I loved their time together at the college, and Pierces time with his family to swing me to
Barbara
Sep 08, 2012 Barbara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this story, and enjoyed the viewpoints and lifestyle of a soldier that were woven into the plot. The characters of Lexie and Pierce were presented in such a clear way that I truly felt like I knew them, and it kept me very interested in what was going to happen. It did seem like the ending went a little too quickly from one extreme of feelings to the opposite extreme, and that made it slightly less believable. A little more time might have made it seem more plausible. For that reason onl ...more
Jeanie Harper
Jun 12, 2014 Jeanie Harper rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great love story.
Rachel Melton
Not bad overall, but kind of predictable. I kind of like books like this to have a little more drama or something to really pull you in. The characters also jumped back and forth between actually admitting to themselves that they liked each other and then telling themselves that it could never work. Overall, not bad, but not a favorite either. Give me a story with a little more unpredictability and drama. :)
Susan
Oct 06, 2009 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Christian Romance. Lexie is looking, but not very hard, for Mr Right. She isn't haveing much luck in finding someone to meet her criteria. Peirce isn't looking at all because he is an Army Ranger and feels this is where he is needed to help protect his country. Trite but has some good redeeming humor.
Veronica
The plot and character development was great. Jillian Hart is a great author who keeps you reading but I wish she didn't wrap up the ending in this one quite so quickly, I think it took away from the strength of the storyline.
Pat Oringer
Jun 07, 2013 Pat Oringer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love, love, love the McKaslins so it can only get even better when you throw in a soldier theme, mixed with modern day romance via the internet and a hero who lives life to the fullest!
Lauri
Jun 13, 2010 Lauri rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good. It was about a character who appeared in A Soldier for Christmas, but it would have been nice if she had spoken to the characters from the first book at least once.
Madeline
I liked this one quite a bit. Preachy as all of these type of books are, but if you look over that it is a pretty good book.
Hollie Robb
It was the same argument going over and over. It made the book boring for me to read. The story behind the argument was good.
Karen
Sep 20, 2009 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a very good book, when you get to the end, you want more. I read this book in one day, so it is very short.
terrance
May 17, 2010 terrance rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books
A good read. I expected more, but it was cute. Probably not something I'd reread.
Ariel
this book is really awe some it is probaly the best book i've read yet
Julie
Mar 21, 2009 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-romance
what can I say cute Christian book about trying not to fall in love.
SheLove2Read
Mar 31, 2009 SheLove2Read rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great! I loved this book. A quick read too.
Carole
Oct 04, 2012 Carole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Loved it.
Theresa
Theresa marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2016
Trish
Trish rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2016
Stephanie Christian
Stephanie Christian marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2016
Melissa Todt
Melissa Todt marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2016
Marsha
Marsha marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2016
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2016
Dayzee
Dayzee marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2016
Keisha
Keisha rated it it was amazing
Jun 27, 2016
Summer Mason-Fitzhugh
Summer Mason-Fitzhugh marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
  • Texas Ranger Dad (Mule Hollow, #10)
  • Doctor Right (Alaskan Bride Rush,  #3)
  • A Cowboy's Heart (The Cowboy Series #2)
  • Child of Mine (Rosewood, Texas, #2)
  • Ready-Made Family (Wings of Refuge, #3)
  • Child of Grace
  • The Lawman's Christmas Wish (Alaskan Bride Rush, #6)
  • A Family for Luke (Riverbend, #3)
Jillian Hart grew up on her family's homestead in Washington state, where she raised cattle, rode horses and scribbled stories in her spare time.
After earning her English degree from Whitman College, she worked in travel and advertising before selling her first novel.
When Jillian isn't working on her next story, she can be found puttering around her rose garden, curled up with a good book and sp
More about Jillian Hart...

The McKaslin Clan: Series 3 (9 books)
  • A Soldier for Christmas (The McKaslin Clan: Series 3, #1)
  • Precious Blessings (The McKaslin Clan: Series 3, #2)
  • Every Kind of Heaven (The McKaslin Clan: Series 3, #3)
  • Everyday Blessings (The McKaslin Clan: Series 3, #4)
  • A McKaslin Homecoming (The McKaslin Clan: Series 3, #5)
  • Her Wedding Wish (The McKaslin Clan: Series 3, #6)
  • Her Perfect Man (The McKaslin Clan: Series 3, Book #7)
  • His Holiday Heart (The McKaslin Clan: Series 3, #8)