Start by marking “Five Fall into Adventure (Famous Five, #9)” as Want to Read:
Five Fall into Adventure (Famous Five, #9)

Five Fall into Adventure (The Famous Five #9)

3.92  ·  Rating Details ·  6,146 Ratings  ·  95 Reviews
Julian, Dick and Anne are really worried - George and her devoted Timmy have just disappeared!
Paperback, Famous Five Centenary Editions, 202 pages
Published 1997 by Hodder Children's Books (first published 1949)

To ask other readers questions about Five Fall into Adventure, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Five Fall into Adventure

Paul
This instalment of the Famous Five series (number nine if you're counting) is pretty high on the thrills-and-spills-meter, what with its international espionage, multiple kidnappings and cliffhanger chapter endings.

The reason for my only giving it three stars are twofold:

1. Due to being abducted pretty early on in the story, (view spoiler) are absent for most of this book. I wasn't over keen on this as they are my favourite characters! I appreciate that Blyton re
Kirsti
Nov 13, 2011 Kirsti rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've been in an Enid Blyton reading mood all day, so I decided to go with this one again 'Five fall into adventure". I've always thought this book was a little darker than some of the others, from Jo's blatant child abuse at the hands of her father and his friends, to George's kidnapping and the doping of Timmy. The adventures aren't as light hearted as the ones before it, but that doesn't keep me from enjoying it.

A bright spark is Jo herself; she's a plucky but downtrodden version of George. Sh
Ivana
Feb 09, 2016 Ivana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kao maloj Pet prijatelja su mi bili za pet sa zvezdicom. Serijal mog detinjstva. Mislim, kakve pustolovine, kakva hrana! Danas su mi, međutim, tako nekako meh... Sve vidim, i što treba i što ne treba (formulne zaplete, rodnu, klasnu problematiku). I ne mogu a da se ne upitam koliko godina ta deca imaju? Avanture doživljavaju za vreme praznika, knjiga u serijalu ima oko petnaestak, možda i više... Oni kao da se iz knjige u knjigu pripremaju za veliki svet, svet odraslih u koji ipak nikako ne odla ...more
Karthik
Apr 12, 2015 Karthik rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favorite Enid Blyton books being one fo the very first I have read. It was way back in 1989 my parents gifted this books to me for my Birthday when I was in hospital. Really loved this book. Reading it again it brought back the pleasent memories evoked the first time I read it. So probably this is my favorite in the entire Famous Five series - the series itself being one of my least favorite.
Erta Lin
Berbeda dengan liburan sebelumnya, Lima Sekawan tidak melakukan perjalanan (baca: petualangan). Mereka tetap tinggal di Pondok Kirrin karena Paman Quentin dan Bibi Fanny memutuskan untuk berlibur ke Spanyol, mengistirahatkan Paman dari segala pekerjaannya selama ini.
Julian, Dick, Anne, George, dan Timmy berencana untuk berenang di pantai setiap hari. Suatu hari, mereka bertemu dengan Jo, gelandangan yang duduk di lubang yang dibuat oleh George. Pertengkaran pun terjadi. Jo dan George tidak akur
Priskila
"Anak itu memang aneh. Tapi hatinya baik, benar-benar anak yang budiman."

Petualangan kesembilan Lima Sekawan!

Di liburan kali ini giliran George dan Timmy diculik segerombolan penjahat yang mau mencuri dokumen paman Quentin! Julian, Dick dan Anne bingung dan sangat khawatir dengan keselamatan saudara sepupu mereka. Belum lagi ada ank jahil nan liar yang selalu merepotlan mereka. Waduh!

Yay, saya suka buku ini karena Dick mendapat peran yang penting disini. Kebetulan selain George dan Timmy, Dick k
Sunshine
Mar 03, 2016 Sunshine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
Damien Evans
Well it's probably 25 years or so since I last read a Famous Five. I was curious to see how it would go now I'm an adult. I loved these books as a kid! As an adult, I guess it was ok. Familiar friends doing exactly what I expected. I can't believe how much food features in the book! Every time something happens and the five get half a chance, they are tucking into hearty helpings of whatever's available and it always tastes delicious.
Meanwhile Timmy is still eating up ice creams in one mouthful
Neja
Dec 08, 2012 Neja rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-childhood
These books (Famous five) are hands down one of my favorite books from my childhood. All those adventures and mystery …and those sandwiches they always packed! aww, just the best! I would love to read one of these again. To bring back those memories..memories of first experiences with reading books.
Richa
Apr 29, 2015 Richa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good fast paced story. Though, Jo, a new character seems to be the hero in this book. The famous five are pretty helpless here.
Virgilio Machado
Queridos amiguinhos:
Neste novo livro dos famosos cinco encontrareis estranhas aventuras. Gostaria que me escrevessem àcerca dele.
Vossa amiga,
Enid Blyton

Contracapa
Gurnam Sodhi
Mar 23, 2015 Gurnam Sodhi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wish I had read all these adventures when I was a kid. I still find these marvelous and intriguing to the max.
Dani Noviandi
Liburan lagi, petualangan lagi! Walaupun hanya menghabiskan waktu sekitar dua minggu untuk bersama-sama, petualangan seakan tidak mau menjauh dari kelompok Lima Sekawan ini.
Berlokasi kembali di Pondok Kirrin, kali ini Bibi Fanny dan Paman Quentin sengaja ingin berlibur ke Spanyol. Kedua orangtua George ini meninggalkan Lima Sekawan dengan pembantu mereka, Joanna. Memang, sejak semula anak-anak tidak yakin mereka akan mengalami petualangan kali ini, namun penemuan yang dilakukan oleh Paman Quent
Bethsheba Meliala
Mar 22, 2017 Bethsheba Meliala rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
I love this one! I also love Jo as a character!
Farseer
Jan 28, 2017 Farseer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
David Sarkies
Aug 26, 2012 David Sarkies rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who love Blyton adventures
Recommended to David by: My Dad
Shelves: mystery
A somewhat dark and scary adventure
26 August 2012

I found this one to be a much darker Famous Five adventure than the ones that I have so far read. It seemed that the Five were in a lot more trouble, and facing a lot more danger, than they have had previously. Also, it is the first book that I actually hoped that they would do something to actually kill one of the bad guys (namely by pushing him out of a cave halfway up a cliff) though that was only a fleeting thought because people don't die in
Linda
Aug 16, 2014 Linda rated it really liked it
I wish I could give this 4.5 stars. I never realized how good this series actually is! The Five consist of siblings Julian, Dick, and Anne and their girl cousin George (Georgina) and her dog Timmy. This was a great exciting adventure and mystery with bad gypsies, a kidnapping, and theft of important papers.

Soon after Julian, Dick, and Anne arrive for a 2 week holiday on Kirrin with George and Timmy, George's parents go off to Spain leaving the children alone with the housekeeper (well, Julian is
Milley
Mar 02, 2013 Milley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5
I am rereading these as an adult and i rank this one first of the four i have read. I am giving it 4.5.

The story was the most complex. I love how they treat each other and other children in this book and the other famous fives. They are sarcastic and the children actually sulk like real children. (None of this nonsense from mothers: "No really, he loves his little sister".. ha ha.

But in these books they will actually say things like ..go away you terrible awful child! and that includes the adul
Lisa
Jan 18, 2015 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fabulous installment in Blyton's Famous Five series. There's something both brilliant and lulling about Blyton's adroitness with this series; I've entered the stage in which I am utterly convinced I could create a modern series with serious nods to the famous Five, although hopefully not derivative.

I genuinely can't tell if this is actually possible or insanity brought on by her deceptively simplistic style and plots

ANYway, loads of fun, this one has a random girl character showing up,
John
As with all Famous Five books, this is of the same trusted and successful formula.

I loved these books as a child and I am delighted that my girls loved them as children too.

The stories are adventures of a byegone age, yet still hold the attention of children, around the world...... they have stood the test of time well - and for a great reason.

The stories are plausible, fun, adventurous and contain an excellent mix of young characters... with a little bit of everyone in each of them - something
Faa
Dec 29, 2011 Faa rated it it was amazing
It was nice to know that there was another George in this world, except that they were of different parents, luck and life. Famous Five embarked on the new adventure when George and Timmy were missing- or as they suspected, been kidnapped. Later they found out, that the missing of George and Timmy might had something to do with Jo, the other tomboy-girl who was in many ways resembled George. And so, Famous Five minus George and Timmy, plus Jo, tried their best to solve another buffling mystery d ...more
Gina
Jul 24, 2016 Gina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I actually liked this book a lot better reading it this second time. The only not so good part was how Jo talked about how her father would abuse her. At least he got his in the end though.
It did kind of suck that George and Timmy got kidnapped, and I'm sort of curious to know how Timmy lived if the villains kept drugging him, but this book did have a happy ending.
The children are maturing a bit more in this book, and the character development is good to see.
Julian is still my favorite. :)
Wendy
May 22, 2016 Wendy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think I'm going to have to stop listening to these. They are interesting stories for the most part, but the attitudes of the kids towards others (and the language that Blyton uses) are a little bit hard to swallow in this day and age. Poor Jo, the traveller, is barely even referred to as as human - there are multiple mentions of her 'paws' instead of her hands, for example. The Five are quite mean to her until they work out that she's really OK after all.
Mary
Jul 05, 2008 Mary rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Very strange. I took this from the take a book/leave a book on Water Island in the VI. It's an English children's novel from the 50's.

The Five encounter a gypsy girl, Ragamuffin Jo, and treat her badly. She is the key to getting everything to rights in the end. It's an old book, and I was startled at the blatant -isms of the book. Jo is constantly likened to an animal, for example. An interesting book from that angle, but not on its own.
bakanekonomama
Udah lama banget nggak baca serinya Lima Sekawan. Suka sama cerita yang ini. Suka banget. Si Jo awalnya nyebelin-nyebelin gimana gitu, tapi akhirnya jadi suka sama karakternya. Endingnya juga ditutup dengan cerdas dan manis. Dulu baca Lima Sekawan lompat-lompat. Maklum boleh nyewa. Nggak inget mana yg udah dibaca dan mana yg belum. Yang jelas ini sih belum. Jadi pingin ngoleksi semuanya deh... Buat aset.
Thimira
Great for teens. Another good work of Famous Five, this time falling into dangerous hands with a new companion who causes great trouble and then who Famous Five will have to rely on. Uncle Quentain's scientific notes will lure the thieves and adventure begins with three instead of five as two of the mates are kidnapped.
Jane Irish Nelson
The four children, Julian, Dick, Anne, and their cousin George (really Georgina) are staying alone at Kirren cottage, while George's parents go off on vacation. They have Joanna, the cook, and Timmy, George's beloved dog, to look after them. Only then George and Timmy disappear! Thus causing the Five to fall into an adventure once again.
Louise (A Strong Belief in Wicker)
The 9th book in the series. The Five meet up with ragamuffin Jo, and fall into a rather large adventure after George and Timmy disappear. Where are they? How will they find them? More fabulous buildings, secret tunnels and caves. Includes the use of the sensational word tatterdemalion which I don't recall ever seeing before. Probably not one of the standout books in the series.
Prashansa
Dec 06, 2010 Prashansa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: enid-blyton
Well, this was the first book I read in the Famous Five series. At first, I didn't at all understand what was happening. But slowly I was on track. I didn't like this book very much. That's why I am giving it 2 stars**. The novel became very boring in between. The concept of George and Timmy getting kidnapped was really not that good.
Hanif
Jan 20, 2008 Hanif rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Petualangan KESEMBILAN mereka yang seru dan mengasyikkan!

George dan Timmy hilang apakah mereka diculik? Mengapa seseorang masuk ke Pondok Kirrin dan mengobrak-abrik ruang kerja Paman Quentin? LIMA SEKAWAN yakin kedua hal ini pasti ada hubungannya. Tapi apa?
Dan bagaimana mereka dapat memecahkan misteri itu, kalau mereka cuma tinggal bertiga?
  • The Third Form at St. Clare's (St. Clare's, #7)
  • The Mystery of the Green Ghost (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #4)
  • Di Gua Kelelawar (Lima Sekawan)
  • Uma Aventura no Carnaval
  • The Mystery of the Laughing Shadow (Alfred Hitchcock and the Three Investigators, #12)
  • The Mystery of the Nervous Lion (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #16)
  • The Mystery of Monster Mountain (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #20)
(See also her pen name Mary Pollock)

Born in 1897 in South London, Enid Mary Blyton was the eldest of three children, and showed an early interest in music and reading. She was educated at St. Christopher's School, Beckenham, and - having decided not to pursue her music - at Ipswich High School, where she trained as a kindergarten teacher. She taught for five years before her 1924 marriage to edito
More about Enid Blyton...

The Famous Five (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Five on a Treasure Island (Famous Five, #1)
  • Five Go Adventuring Again (Famous Five, #2)
  • Five Run Away Together (Famous Five, #3)
  • Five Go to Smuggler's Top (Famous Five, #4)
  • Five Go Off in a Caravan (Famous Five, #5)
  • Five on Kirrin Island Again (Famous Five, #6)
  • Five Go Off to Camp (Famous Five, #7)
  • Five Get Into Trouble (Famous Five, #8)
  • Five on a Hike Together (Famous Five, #10)
  • Five Have a Wonderful Time (Famous Five, #11)