Start by marking “Ferret in the Bedroom, Lizards in the Fridge” as Want to Read:
Ferret in the Bedroom, Lizards in the Fridge

Ferret in the Bedroom, Lizards in the Fridge

Liz tells her zoologist father he must get rid of all the homeless animals he keeps at their house or she'll never win the sixth-grade class presidency, but when they're gone she misses them and learns there are more important things than winning.
Published November 1st 1988 by Turtleback Books (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Ferret in the Bedroom, Lizards in the Fridge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ferret in the Bedroom, Lizards in the Fridge

Colleen AF Venable
May 18, 2008 Colleen AF Venable marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read
This was my absolute favorite book as a kid....let's see if it holds up. Granted the cover was much better on my version, aka a ridiculously 80's girl holding a frozen lizard by the tail as if she were about to accidentally eat it like an icecream pop. Don't think I would have ever picked it up with this current cover.
Kris
Mar 11, 2014 Kris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: favorites
I gotta say I only picked up this book because it involved a ferret. (It's super rare to find a book that speaks of ferrets in a positive way, so I was pleasantly surprised. I was reading and expected low expectations.) Part of me thought the writing was a little cheesy at first, but hey, it's geared towards younger kids.

The story does pick up more when Elizabeth puts her presidential campaign into full gear from the urging of her friend Sally. Elizabeth is frustrated because of the overwhelming
Susan
Dec 30, 2016 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
Liz's dad is a zoologist, and their house is full of animals--and it's very hard to have friends come over who don't like and are afraid of animals. Every time Liz (age 12) has friends over, something bad happens--like the turtle who wet on April or the ibex who knocked Sally down. The book is funny, but also teaches a good lesson about being yourself and liking yourself. It's written for 8-12 year old children.
Jordan
Jan 02, 2014 Jordan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bill Wallace did a great job writing Ferret in the Bedroom, Lizards in the Fridge! This is a very good book. It is targeted more tword older children, such as 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th graders. Liz is trying to run for class president, but when she trys to get a group of people to come over to campaign, the girls in Liz's grade are either busy or are afraid to come over because of all the animals. Her dad is a zoologist and he has a lot of animals around the house. Everyone is afraid to come over b ...more
Pam
Feb 14, 2016 Pam rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book had me thoroughly disgusted. When I first read how she swatted at the ferret with her book, I was really peeved. I let it slide because she stated she would never hurt him and it was a game she played. Then on further in the book she talks about how the turtle embarrassed her in front of her friends because it was munching on a stinky gym sock. She couldn't pry the sock from the turtle so she hurled the sock and turtle across the room. I quit reading after that. VERY BAD EXAMPLE FOR HO ...more
Gaby
Sep 04, 2015 Gaby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I remember a lot of books that I have read, but from my childhood there are a few that I really remember and always think of. Ferret in the Bedroom, Lizards in the Fridge is one of them. I read it in the fourth grade and loved it. It was the first book that made me cry. It's a great story about a young girl learning what emotions like regret, guilt, and heartache really feel like, while still being appropriately able to relate to a child.
Dianna
Dec 29, 2014 Dianna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middleschool
This was the first book that ever caught my eye in the school library. I read it, then read it again, and then one more time before I had to return it. I loved every part of this story, especially the pets, all of the pets, and the hilarity of every mistake and misunderstanding. I've wanted a pet ferret for the last 27 years. (But I did get some pet iguanas.) Thank you for this book Mr Wallace, it kick started my love of reading.

Luther Ferguson
3B English
It was a book about a girl who just wanted to fit in. But because she had all kinds of animals as house pets, alot of people made fun of her and picked on her. So she ends up trying out for class president. She runs into alot of trouble on the way.

I thought the book was great and very funny.
Erica
Jun 03, 2008 Erica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My absolute favorite when I was a kid. As an added bonus, I wrote the author a letter and he actually responded (a real one- he asked about my own ferret). That only made me love the book even more. I regret selling my own copy and keep meaning to pick up another.
Gina Elaine
Mar 06, 2014 Gina Elaine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ive read this book about 5 times and i bought it at a book fair when i was in like the 3rd or 4th grade and it is so cute and charming and i still love it
Kate Healey
Dec 05, 2013 Kate Healey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an excellent read-aloud chapter book with my 3rd grade students. Excellent focus on visualizing!
Lani
Sep 23, 2008 Lani rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
This one is in the same vein as Snot Stew, a little more cutesy and geared toward a little bit younger readers. Still a fun and silly animal story for a little bit younger kids.
Sep 11, 2012 Laura rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The 6th graders I am interning with will be reading this, so I needed to as well. A cute story about standing up to the crowd and being an individual.
Twyla
Feb 06, 2012 Twyla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: auryn-s-books
Jonathan
My expectations of this book were pretty low judging on by the cover and title. But oh, how the old adage is true. This is an excellent book and I think I’m buying a class set for my chitlins.
Jen Scherbarth
Jen Scherbarth rated it really liked it
Mar 05, 2014
Della Bollinger
Della Bollinger rated it liked it
Dec 15, 2014
Jeremy Chaney
Jeremy Chaney rated it it was amazing
Mar 07, 2013
Capri
Capri rated it it was amazing
Feb 23, 2014
Amber Weems
Amber Weems rated it it was amazing
Aug 27, 2016
Denton
Denton rated it really liked it
Oct 13, 2009
Mallory Lynn
Mallory Lynn rated it it was amazing
Nov 11, 2015
Luther
Luther rated it liked it
Jan 17, 2009
Sarah Bulthuis
Sarah Bulthuis rated it really liked it
Jun 08, 2014
Dana Eisenberg
Dana Eisenberg rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2014
Stacie
Stacie rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2012
Carsyn
Oct 04, 2009 Carsyn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would really give it 3.5 stars. I wish I could have as many animals as Liz!
Sara
May 09, 2011 Sara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A awesome book!
Maria
Maria rated it liked it
May 17, 2009
Mi-Ju Choi
Mi-Ju Choi rated it really liked it
Mar 10, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Fourth Grade Is A Jinx
  • Julie Tells Her Story (American Girls: Julie, #2)
  • Secrets in the Hills: A Josefina Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • A Plague of Sorcerers: A Magical Mystery
  • Help! I'm Trapped in My Principal's Body
  • The Village by the Sea
  • Good-Bye Pink Pig
  • Shadows in the Water (Starbuck Family Adventure, #2)
  • Jessi's Gold Medal (The Baby-Sitters Club, #55)
  • A Dog on His Own
  • Trouble According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #3)
  • Elvis & Olive
  • The Princess in the Pigpen
  • Something Queer is Going On (Something Queer Mysteries, #1)
  • The Knaveheart's Curse (Vampire Island, #2)
  • Mennyms in the Wilderness (Mennyms, #2)
  • Amalee
  • Diary of a Would-Be Princess: The Journal of Jillian Jones, 5b
72012
Former elementary school teacher; West Elementary School, Chickasha, OK, principal, since 1977, and physical education teacher. Speaker at schools and universities in various states, including State University of New York and University of South Florida.

AWARDS:

Bluebonnet Award from Texas Association of School Librarians and Children's Round Table and Sequoyah Children's Book Award from Oklahoma St
More about Bill Wallace...