Start by marking “Star Trek 8” as Want to Read:
Star Trek 8

Star Trek 8 (Star Trek #8)

Includes six more adaptations of The Original Series episodes:
• Spock's Brain
• The Enemy Within
• Catspaw
• Where No Man Has Gone Before
• Wolf in the Fold
• For the World is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky

(from the back cover)

On their latest missions, Starship Enterprise and her crew journey to a glaciated wasteland where beautiful women rule; defeat the ferocious double of
Published 1974 by Bantam Books (first published January 1st 1972)

To ask other readers questions about Star Trek 8, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Trek 8

Robert
Jul 20, 2011 Robert rated it liked it
Shelves: sf, short-fiction
More literary comfort food from Blish in the form of adapted Star Trek shooting scripts. Some famous names wrote episodes of Star Trek, including Richard Matheson and Robert Bloch. These books must have been amongst the last Blish published before his death.
Tracy Poff
Dec 03, 2015 Tracy Poff rated it it was ok
Shelves: star-trek
A few more months brings us to the final Trek book of the year: James Blish's Star Trek 8 , published in November 1972. This volume adapts "Spock's Brain", "The Enemy Within", "Catspaw", "Where No Man Has Gone Before", "Wolf in the Fold", and "For the World Is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky".

The first story in this book is the execrable "Spock's Brain". Good news, though! If you've seen the episode, then you'll recall that they wire Spock's body up and drive him around like an RC car. None o
Ben
Aug 15, 2015 Ben rated it it was ok
A collection of episodes from TOS, it's a good reminder of how fun TOS could be as well as how sexist it was. This book was definitely written for the days before video recording, providing fans a way to recall episodes that they may have only seen at first airing.

It starts off with "Enemy Within," which may be my least favorite TOS episode. Kirk gets split and immediately tries to rape crewman Rand, which was a frequent theme in the first season. Kirk kind of feels bad about it afterward, but e
Heather Domin
Dec 06, 2013 Heather Domin rated it liked it
Shelves: star-trek-books
(Somebody actually requested "Spock's Brain"? Really?)
David King
Nov 27, 2013 David King rated it liked it
“Star Trek 8” by James Blish was the eighth collection of Original Series Star Trek series scripts adapted into short story form. One thing to note is that neither the various collections nor the stories contained are in any sort of chronological order so it has been an interesting experience for me in trying to decide what order I should read them as part of my chronological reading challenge.

This collection includes adaptations of the following episodes:

Spock's Brain (3rd Season)
The Enemy Wit
Yaaresse
When i was a kid, my older sister's friend GAVE me the entire collection. (I know!) Over the next few years, I read them all in order, starting the first one the day after I finished the last one. Loved them. I'm not sad that I didn't hang onto them and can only hope they still exist to make some other fan happy. (But I doubt it because...well, paperbacks, you know?)

The adaptations got better in the later volumes, but it was Star Trek whenever and wherever I wanted with having to put up with th
Charles
Jul 28, 2010 Charles rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
These are Blish's novelizations/storyizations of the original Star Trek episodes. Sometimes they are slightly different from the final episode since they were written from shooting scripts as I understand. Although I enjoyed them, it's because of the tie in with the TV series episodes. The writing here is fairly workmanlike and this is really bare bones kind of work.
Fangirl
When these early novels and stories to Star Trek came out I bought them all, devoured them and loved them. It's been a long time, so today I couldn't even say which of them were really good and which of them I only loved because they were Star Trek. ;)
Just thinking of them and seeing the covers gives me a happy feeling of nostalgia. That alone is worth the rating!
Travis
May 24, 2010 Travis rated it liked it
Shelves: star-trek
More prose adaptions of original TV show episodes.
Not a lot of depth, but a nice intro to the show or reminder if you haven't seen them in awhile.

I liked reading these in high school, back in the dark ages before you could get every episode on DVD, this was the only way to experience the episodes.
Rich Meyer
Feb 01, 2013 Rich Meyer rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
Another good Blish outing, with fan favorite episodes "Where No Man Has Gone Before" and "Wolf in the Fold" included in this collection, as well as the almost universally-derided "Spock's Brain". Well-written adaptations as always.
Brandon Matthews
Mar 26, 2013 Brandon Matthews rated it liked it
As someone who was never really a big Star Trek fan and given this book randomly, I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. Most of the stories were entertaining and I'd say I'm more open to Star Trek as a whole now.
Tom
Apr 30, 2012 Tom rated it liked it
This is another collection of short stories adapted from the TV show. It is a quick read for whenever you want a quick escape.
Curtiss
Another half dozen episodes or so of the Original TV series rewritten as novella-length Sci-Fi stories.
James Sorensen
Sep 29, 2012 James Sorensen rated it liked it
Novelizations of Star Trek TOS. Fun to read if you've never seen the original TV episodes.
Bobby
Nov 10, 2013 Bobby rated it liked it
Only read "Where No Man Has Gone Before" to fill in what happened to Gary Mitchell.
Kenneth
Mar 15, 2016 Kenneth rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-trek
Great stories. Explore deeper into the relationships among the main cast.
Morbus Iff
Jan 31, 2011 Morbus Iff rated it liked it
Shelves: star-trek
Good episode novelizations. Ayup. That's it.
Freya Roberts
More adaptations of original Trek episodes.
Ogreart Art
Reread January 1979.
Reread March 1980.
Tabi &
Tabi & marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2016
Darin
Darin added it
Sep 26, 2016
Rhoddi
Rhoddi marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2016
Julie Thomas
Julie Thomas rated it really liked it
Sep 18, 2016
Cierhianna
Cierhianna rated it liked it
Sep 19, 2016
Gary Noel
Gary Noel rated it liked it
Sep 17, 2016
Alec Adsett
Alec Adsett rated it it was amazing
Sep 11, 2016
Richard Goodman
Richard Goodman rated it really liked it
Sep 10, 2016
Richard Hughes
Richard Hughes rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2016
Phil
Phil marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2016
Keith Cornell
Keith Cornell rated it liked it
Sep 07, 2016
  • Star Trek Log Two (Star Trek: Logs, #2)
  • Star Trek: The New Voyages, 2 (Star Trek Adventures, #6)
  • Spock, Messiah! (Star Trek Adventures, #3)
  • Legacy
  • Timetrap
  • Planet of Judgment (Star Trek Adventures, #5)
  • The Abode of Life
  • Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #4)
  • Enemy Unseen
  • Trek To Madworld (Star Trek Adventures, #9)
  • The Galactic Whirlpool (Star Trek Adventures, #14)
  • Vulcan! (Star Trek Adventures, #7)
James Benjamin Blish (East Orange, New Jersey, May 23, 1921 – Henley-on-Thames, July 30, 1975) was an American author of fantasy and science fiction. Blish also wrote literary criticism of science fiction using the pen-name William Atheling Jr.

In the late 1930's to the early 1940's, Blish was a member of the Futurians.

Blish trained as a biologist at Rutgers and Columbia University, and spent 1942–
More about James Blish...

Star Trek (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Star Trek 1