Start by marking “Star Trek 5” as Want to Read:
Star Trek 5

Star Trek 5 (Star Trek #5)

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  635 ratings  ·  14 reviews
The fifth volume in a series of Star Trek: The Original Series adaptations published by Bantam Books. Includes seven stories: Whom Gods Destroy, Let That Be Your Last Battlefield, The Tholian Web, This Side Of Paradise, Turnabout Intruder, Requiem for Methuselah, The Way to Eden.

(from the book jacket)

The Enterprise blazes new star trails to danger as Kirk, Spock and the re...more
Paperback, 11th printing, 136 pages
Published 1977 by Bantam Books (first published 1972)

To ask other readers questions about Star Trek 5, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Trek 5

Robert
After reading three volumes of this series I can say that certain themes recur; illusion, transporter problems, Kirk fancying a native...
Julie *Friday's Child*
Blish #5, episode 24, 64, 69, 70, 74, 75, 79.

6/7 of these are season three... I generally don't like season three (or the "feel" of it) so I rarely watch it. I have some favorite episodes (The Tholian Web being one of them, also All Our Yesterdays, Day Of the Dove, Spectre of the Gun, etc.) but half of the season I've watched only a few rare times. That means I can't really spot the differences well because I just can't remember. I know that there's a scene missing in Last Battlefield. Whom Gods...more
Mark David Major
I enjoyed it, always interesting to see how Blish expands or deletes from the television scripts. A fine distraction and light-read for any Trek fan. It will take you back (for those old enough) to the days of the 1970s and 1980s when there was no Star Trek and this was the best we could hope for, there was something 'purer' about those days of Trek before Paramount realized they were sitting on a cash cow and began milking.
Charles
These are Blish's novelizations/storyizations of the original Star Trek episodes. Sometimes they are slightly different from the final episode since they were written from shooting scripts as I understand. Although I enjoyed them, it's because of the tie in with the TV series episodes. The writing here is fairly workmanlike and this is really bare bones kind of work.
Fangirl
When these early novels and stories to Star Trek came out I bought them all, devoured them and loved them. It's been a long time, so today I couldn't even say which of them were really good and which of them I only loved because they were Star Trek. ;)
Just thinking of them and seeing the covers gives me a happy feeling of nostalgia. That alone is worth the rating!
Mary
I read this book shortly after I saw the movie. The movie made no sense to me, but the book did a lot to explain things. Consequently, I liked the book much more than the movie, but this still was not one of my favorite Star Trek novels.
Sam
Blish's short story rewrites of the Original Series Star Trek's scripts are quick, painless reads. They aren't terribly eloquent, since they are based off tv scripts, but they are able to convey some of the more essential Star Trek canon and characterizations in an easy to digest format.
Rich Meyer
Another good Blish outing, featuring some good adaptations of some bad Trek episodes. "The Tholian Web" is the standout of these, but the stories are more strictly adhering to the original scripts than many of the earlier Blish tales.
Deranged Pegasus
As with all of Blish's books, an excellent accompaniment to the Original Series. The little additions and insights given by the book beautifully done and never taking away from the original feel given by the episodes.
James Sorensen
Novelizations of Star Trek TOS. Fun to read if you've never seen the original TV episodes.
Curtiss
A half dozen episodes or so of the Original TV series rewritten as novella-length Sci-Fi stories.
Andy
1ST EDITION AMERICAN PBACK. COLLECTION OF STAR TREK STORIES.
Morbus Iff
These adaptations were quite good then, and now.
colleen
read 08.13.84
read 07.21.85
Scott
Scott marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
No Need
No Need marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
Allen Reed
Allen Reed marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
  • Star Trek Log Two (Star Trek: Logs, #2)
  • Star Trek: The New Voyages (Star Trek Adventures, #2)
  • The Abode of Life
  • Trek To Madworld (Star Trek Adventures, #9)
  • Spock, Messiah! (Star Trek Adventures, #3)
  • Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #4)
  • Battlestations! (Star Trek: Fortunes Of War, #2)
  • Black Fire
  • Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #6)
  • Vulcan! (Star Trek Adventures, #7)
  • Timetrap
  • The Making Of Star Trek
James Benjamin Blish (East Orange, New Jersey, May 23, 1921 – Henley-on-Thames, July 30, 1975) was an American author of fantasy and science fiction. Blish also wrote literary criticism of science fiction using the pen-name William Atheling Jr.

In the late 1930's to the early 1940's, Blish was a member of the Futurians.

Blish trained as a biologist at Rutgers and Columbia University, and spent 1942–...more
More about James Blish...
Cities in Flight (Cities in Flight, #1-4) A Case of Conscience (After Such Knowledge, #4) They Shall Have Stars (Cities in Flight, #1) Star Trek 1 Spock Must Die! (Star Trek Adventures, #1)