Start by marking “Star Trek 5” as Want to Read:
Star Trek 5

Star Trek 5 (Star Trek #5)

3.64  ·  Rating Details  ·  785 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
The fifth volume in a series of Star Trek: The Original Series adaptations published by Bantam Books. Includes seven stories: Whom Gods Destroy, Let That Be Your Last Battlefield, The Tholian Web, This Side Of Paradise, Turnabout Intruder, Requiem for Methuselah, The Way to Eden.

(from the book jacket)

The Enterprise blazes new star trails to danger as Kirk, Spock and the re
Paperback, 11th printing, 136 pages
Published 1977 by Bantam Books (first published 1972)

To ask other readers questions about Star Trek 5, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Trek 5

Robert
May 17, 2011 Robert rated it liked it
Shelves: sf, short-fiction
After reading three volumes of this series I can say that certain themes recur; illusion, transporter problems, Kirk fancying a native...
Francisco
Apr 18, 2016 Francisco rated it it was ok
Another set of novelizations by Blish, this time adapting "Whom Gods Destroy", "The Tholian Web", "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield", "This Side of Paradise", "Turnabout Intruder", "Requiem for Methuselah" and "The Way to Eden". These are almost all late third season episodes, with the exception of "This Side of Paradise" which makes them not the best stuff ever. Blish can only make justice to some pretty bad material that he has to work with.

The only half-way decent story is "The Tholian Web"
Tracy Poff
With 1972 came another entry in Blish's series of Star Trek adaptations, Star Trek 5 . This volume includes adaptations of seven episodes: "Whom Gods Destroy", "The Tholian Web", "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield", "This Side of Paradise", "Turnabout Intruder", "Requiem for Methuselah", an "The Way to Eden".

The stories adapted in this volume are, I think, fairly average Trek fare. The adaptation of "Whom Gods Destroy" is the most interesting, but even it was better for being on screen. Meanwhi
Yaaresse
When i was a kid, my older sister's friend GAVE me the entire collection. (I know!) Over the next few years, I read them all in order, starting the first one the day after I finished the last one. Loved them. I'm not sad that I didn't hang onto them and can only hope they still exist to make some other fan happy. (But I doubt it because...well, paperbacks, you know?)

The adaptations got better in the later volumes, but it was Star Trek whenever and wherever I wanted with having to put up with th
Ogreart Art
Reread March 1980.
Mark Major
Mar 18, 2013 Mark Major rated it liked it
I enjoyed it, always interesting to see how Blish expands or deletes from the television scripts. A fine distraction and light-read for any Trek fan. It will take you back (for those old enough) to the days of the 1970s and 1980s when there was no Star Trek and this was the best we could hope for, there was something 'purer' about those days of Trek before Paramount realized they were sitting on a cash cow and began milking.
Charles
Jul 28, 2010 Charles rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
These are Blish's novelizations/storyizations of the original Star Trek episodes. Sometimes they are slightly different from the final episode since they were written from shooting scripts as I understand. Although I enjoyed them, it's because of the tie in with the TV series episodes. The writing here is fairly workmanlike and this is really bare bones kind of work.
Fangirl
When these early novels and stories to Star Trek came out I bought them all, devoured them and loved them. It's been a long time, so today I couldn't even say which of them were really good and which of them I only loved because they were Star Trek. ;)
Just thinking of them and seeing the covers gives me a happy feeling of nostalgia. That alone is worth the rating!
Mary
Mar 18, 2008 Mary rated it it was ok
I read this book shortly after I saw the movie. The movie made no sense to me, but the book did a lot to explain things. Consequently, I liked the book much more than the movie, but this still was not one of my favorite Star Trek novels.
Rich Meyer
Jan 21, 2013 Rich Meyer rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
Another good Blish outing, featuring some good adaptations of some bad Trek episodes. "The Tholian Web" is the standout of these, but the stories are more strictly adhering to the original scripts than many of the earlier Blish tales.
Deranged Pegasus
Oct 21, 2011 Deranged Pegasus rated it it was amazing
As with all of Blish's books, an excellent accompaniment to the Original Series. The little additions and insights given by the book beautifully done and never taking away from the original feel given by the episodes.
James Sorensen
Aug 09, 2012 James Sorensen rated it liked it
Novelizations of Star Trek TOS. Fun to read if you've never seen the original TV episodes.
Curtiss
A half dozen episodes or so of the Original TV series rewritten as novella-length Sci-Fi stories.
Andy
1ST EDITION AMERICAN PBACK. COLLECTION OF STAR TREK STORIES.
Kenneth
Mar 15, 2016 Kenneth rated it liked it
Shelves: star-trek
A look back at the original series that aired
Morbus Iff
Feb 01, 2011 Morbus Iff rated it liked it
Shelves: star-trek
These adaptations were quite good then, and now.
colleen
Wayne
Wayne rated it liked it
May 04, 2016
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Matt
Matt rated it liked it
Apr 29, 2016
Reliant18642003yahoo.com
Reliant18642003yahoo.com marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Zachary
Zachary rated it it was amazing
Apr 25, 2016
Stevie O'Connor
Stevie O'Connor rated it it was amazing
Apr 21, 2016
Catherine Wright
Catherine Wright rated it liked it
Apr 15, 2016
Ross Vincent
Ross Vincent marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
P K Morris
P K Morris marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
  • Star Trek Log Two (Star Trek: Logs, #2)
  • Star Trek: The New Voyages (Star Trek Adventures, #2)
  • Spock, Messiah! (Star Trek Adventures, #3)
  • The Abode of Life
  • Battlestations! (Star Trek: Fortunes Of War, #2)
  • Black Fire
  • Vulcan! (Star Trek Adventures, #7)
  • Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #4)
  • Legacy
  • Trek To Madworld (Star Trek Adventures, #9)
  • Timetrap
  • Enemy Unseen
  • Planet of Judgment (Star Trek Adventures, #5)
James Benjamin Blish (East Orange, New Jersey, May 23, 1921 – Henley-on-Thames, July 30, 1975) was an American author of fantasy and science fiction. Blish also wrote literary criticism of science fiction using the pen-name William Atheling Jr.

In the late 1930's to the early 1940's, Blish was a member of the Futurians.

Blish trained as a biologist at Rutgers and Columbia University, and spent 1942–
More about James Blish...

Star Trek (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Star Trek 1