Start by marking “Star Trek 4” as Want to Read:
Star Trek 4

Star Trek 4 (Star Trek #4)

The fourth volume of Star Trek: The Original Series episode novelizations. Includes the following stories: All Our Yesterdays, The Devil in the Dark, Journey To Babel, The Menagerie, The Enterprise Incident, A Piece of the Action.

(from the book jacket)

Six assignments in space and time In the name of the Federation Council and the Starfleet Command, Spock and the Enterprise
Paperback, 13th edition, 134 pages
Published 1977 by Bantam Books (first published 1971)

To ask other readers questions about Star Trek 4, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Trek 4

Robert
Apr 23, 2011 Robert rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Blish fans; Star Trek fans
Shelves: sf, short-fiction
James Blish books are like chocolate: I think, I'll have a nibble. Then I have another nibble. Shortly there-after I find that I've consumed the entire bar (or book) and immediately start searching for another. James Blish is particularly good when I'm ill or feeling down; it's easy to read yet thought provoking. If I really don't want to think, then it's usually a rollicking adventure story, too.

I've read nigh-on everything else Blish wrote, leaving the Star Trek books to last because I thought
Dustin
Apr 27, 2015 Dustin rated it liked it
The episodes novelized in within include All Our Yesterdays, The Devil in the Dark, Journey To Babel, The Menagerie, The Enterprise Incident, and A Piece of the Action.
I’m pretty sure that All Our Yesterdays is the first Trek episode Blish has novelized where he keeps the multiple storylines from the episode. Within we follow both Kirk in ye olden not!London and Spock & McCoy in the Ice Age. It breezes through the story while being a solid retelling of the episode.
The Devil in the Dark actu
OJ Svartheim
Jan 07, 2017 OJ Svartheim rated it it was ok
See "Star Trek 1" by James Blish for a detailed comment about my opinion of books 1-13.
Ed Wyrd
Oct 13, 2016 Ed Wyrd rated it liked it
Shelves: star-trek
Another collection of stories adapted by James Blish from the original scripts. This one contains a horta, the first appearance of Spock's parents, Kirk with Vulcan ears, Chicago gangsters, and Captain Pike. Good stuff.
Ron
Dec 18, 2016 Ron rated it liked it
This collection of six story adaptations of episodes gave me pleasure out of proportion to the small size of the book. Six stories, one of which "The Menagerie" differs quite a bit from the broadcast episode (but probably rings true to the original pilot episode released many years later). Blish explains why he chose to edit out the wraparound story and include the original ending. I've watched a dozen or more of the original episodes on TV the last couple months (kudos to BBC America for really ...more
David King
Aug 16, 2015 David King rated it liked it
“Star Trek 4” by James Blish is his fourth collection of Star Trek Original Series scripts adaptations. There are six adaptations included in this collection with two taken from each of Star Trek’s three seasons as follows:

All Our Yesterdays (Season 3)
The Devil in the Dark (Season 1)
Journey to Babel (Season 2)
The Menagerie (Season 1)
The Enterprise Incident (Season 3)
A Piece of the Action (Season 2)

The episodes in this collection are all rather enjoyable and fun, including the two stories taken f
Francisco
Apr 18, 2016 Francisco rated it liked it
Here we have another one of the 12 volumes adapting the TOS episodes into short-stories. This time we have adaptations of "All Our Yesterdays", "The Devil in the Dark", "Journey to Babel", "The Menagerie", "The Enterprise Incident" and "A Piece of the Action".

As per usual, the adaptations are competent and only as good as the episodes they are adapting, the highlights here are "Journey to Babel" where Spock's relationship with his parents is greatly developed, "The Enterprise Incident" which ha
Jimyanni
Aug 04, 2014 Jimyanni rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-trek
The James Blish "Star Trek" series is a twelve book series of adaptations of the stories from the original "Star Trek" television series. Frankly, Blish didn't do a very good job of it, and most of the series is pretty weak, even for a longtime fan of the series. As far as the writing itself is concerned, this book is better than most of the series; Blish embellishes very little on the basic plots he was given, which to an extent is a good thing; the stories are all pretty well what we saw onscr ...more
Cary Spratt
Mar 11, 2013 Cary Spratt rated it liked it
Shelves: owned, star-trek
A collection of mini-stories adapted from TOS episodes. They are pretty straight-forward, as apparently the author was trying to stay as true to the episodes as possible to avoid offending rabid fans. Personally, I wouldn't have minded a bit more extrapolation and 'depth' to the stories. Of course, I have a vastly different perspective than the original 1970's audience... Also, I wonder why the stories are out of order. 'All Our Yesterdays', which aired near the end of season 3, is the first sto ...more
Yaaresse
When i was a kid, my older sister's friend GAVE me the entire collection. (I know!) Over the next few years, I read them all in order, starting the first one the day after I finished the last one. Loved them. I'm not sad that I didn't hang onto them and can only hope they still exist to make some other fan happy. (But I doubt it because...well, paperbacks, you know?)

The adaptations got better in the later volumes, but it was Star Trek whenever and wherever I wanted with having to put up with th
Seth Kenlon
Oct 19, 2012 Seth Kenlon rated it really liked it
Found these books in a stash of old sci fi that belonged to my grandfather. At first I didn't understand why they were ever written, and then I was watching a Dr. Who documentary that explained that before TV even imagined the concept of re-runs, people had one way of re-experiencing the episodes of their favourite sci fi episodes: novelizations! And that's what this is, it's a few episodes, more or less transcribed, with just a few differences here and there which keeps things interesting.
Fangirl
When these early novels and stories to Star Trek came out I bought them all, devoured them and loved them. It's been a long time, so today I couldn't even say which of them were really good and which of them I only loved because they were Star Trek. ;)
Just thinking of them and seeing the covers gives me a happy feeling of nostalgia. That alone is worth the rating!
Alicia
Dec 21, 2007 Alicia rated it really liked it
!!!! As good as watching an episode -- no, better!

My favorite story/episode was the one when the ambassador from vulcan and his wife come aboard the enterprise and Kirk, seeing how uncomfortable Spock is, gives him leave to go down to the planet and visit his parents. And Spocko says

'But, Captain. Sarek and Amanda ARE my parents.'

OH, Jim!
Charles
Oct 08, 2008 Charles rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
These are Blish's novelizations/storyizations of the original Star Trek episodes. Sometimes they are slightly different from the final episode since they were written from shooting scripts as I understand. Although I enjoyed them, it's because of the tie in with the TV series episodes. The writing here is fairly workmanlike and this is really bare bones kind of work.
Heather Domin
Jan 15, 2013 Heather Domin rated it liked it
Shelves: star-trek-books
I'm reading these volumes in order, and this one is so far the most recognizable (i.e., fewest changes from what we saw on screen). Also it's very Spock-oriented, which is always a plus for me. I couldn't help but notice he used Sherlockian words like "deduce" and "elementary" quite often...
Travis
Jan 24, 2010 Travis rated it liked it
Shelves: star-trek
More decent adaptions of the original TV show. In the primitive days before every TV show known to man was online, these were my introduction to Star Trek.

Light weight, but fun way to pass an hour.

Andy
Sep 05, 2010 Andy rated it liked it
So insanely all-encompassing was my childhood obsession with Star Trek that, bereft of an access to syndicated Star Trek reruns, I scarfed up these books, which are actually novelizations of the TV episodes, written, no less, by James Blish, winner of multiple Hugo Awards.
Chris Stevenson
I'm reading Star Trek 4: I am on the next to last story of this book and I have to say that I love the way James Blish can adapt the script of Star Trek to that of a story. This is a fantastic read. I would highly recommend these for any Star Trek fan.
William
Apr 06, 2008 William rated it it was amazing
I actually grew up reading these James Blish "Star Trek" adaptations. Long before VHS and mass book marketing these books were heaven to me. I probably read each one a dozen times while growing up. Someday I would like to re-visit them.
Rich Meyer
Jan 22, 2013 Rich Meyer rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
A solid entry in this series by James Blish. Includes some of the more popular episodes among fans, including "Journey to Babel", "Devil in the Dark" and "A Piece of the Action", along with "The Menagerie", which Blish adapts as the original series pilot, "The Cage".
Shiloh
May 28, 2013 Shiloh rated it it was amazing
I love these old Star Trek books by James Blish. It is almost like watching the TV show again, but better. It brings back a lot of memories. I LOVE it!
Jay Daze
Apr 05, 2010 Jay Daze added it
Shelves: sf
Read these in the library at lunch time in grade eight hiding from my tormentors. (A lifetime and five minutes ago.)
André
Dec 20, 2007 André rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
The stories in this book were indeed better than in the first book. Well, yes, I think I liked them... especially since I liked to read the episode-based short stories.
Curtiss
Another half dozen episodes or so of the Original TV series rewritten as novella-length Sci-Fi stories.
Rob
Rob rated it it was amazing
Apr 13, 2009
Noran Miss Pumkin
Noran Miss Pumkin rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2008
Suman
Suman rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2010
Tracy Poff
Tracy Poff rated it liked it
Dec 04, 2014
Scott
Scott rated it really liked it
Oct 09, 2012
Keith Cornell
Keith Cornell rated it liked it
Sep 07, 2016
  • Star Trek Log Two (Star Trek: Logs, #2)
  • Star Trek: The New Voyages (Star Trek Adventures, #2)
  • The Abode of Life
  • Spock, Messiah! (Star Trek Adventures, #3)
  • Black Fire
  • Mudd's Angels (Star Trek Adventures)
  • The Vulcan Academy Murders
  • The Starless World (Star Trek Adventures, #8)
  • Vulcan! (Star Trek Adventures, #7)
  • Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #2)
  • Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #6)
  • Perry's Planet (Star Trek Adventures, #13)
  • Trek To Madworld (Star Trek Adventures, #9)
James Benjamin Blish (East Orange, New Jersey, May 23, 1921 – Henley-on-Thames, July 30, 1975) was an American author of fantasy and science fiction. Blish also wrote literary criticism of science fiction using the pen-name William Atheling Jr.

In the late 1930's to the early 1940's, Blish was a member of the Futurians.

Blish trained as a biologist at Rutgers and Columbia University, and spent 1942–
More about James Blish...

Star Trek (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Star Trek 1