Star Trek 4

Star Trek 4 (Star Trek #4)

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  648 ratings  ·  22 reviews
The fourth volume of Star Trek: The Original Series episode novelizations. Includes the following stories: All Our Yesterdays, The Devil in the Dark, Journey To Babel, The Menagerie, The Enterprise Incident, A Piece of the Action.

(from the book jacket)

Six assignments in space and time In the name of the Federation Council and the Starfleet Command, Spock and the Enterprise...more
Paperback, 13th edition, 134 pages
Published 1977 by Bantam Books (first published 1971)

To ask other readers questions about Star Trek 4, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Trek 4

Robert
May 01, 2011 Robert rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Blish fans; Star Trek fans
Shelves: scifi, short-fiction
James Blish books are like chocolate: I think, I'll have a nibble. Then I have another nibble. Shortly there-after I find that I've consumed the entire bar (or book) and immediately start searching for another. James Blish is particularly good when I'm ill or feeling down; it's easy to read yet thought provoking. If I really don't want to think, then it's usually a rollicking adventure story, too.

I've read nigh-on everything else Blish wrote, leaving the Star Trek books to last because I thought...more
Jimyanni
The James Blish "Star Trek" series is a twelve book series of adaptations of the stories from the original "Star Trek" television series. Frankly, Blish didn't do a very good job of it, and most of the series is pretty weak, even for a longtime fan of the series. As far as the writing itself is concerned, this book is better than most of the series; Blish embellishes very little on the basic plots he was given, which to an extent is a good thing; the stories are all pretty well what we saw onscr...more
Cary Spratt
A collection of mini-stories adapted from TOS episodes. They are pretty straight-forward, as apparently the author was trying to stay as true to the episodes as possible to avoid offending rabid fans. Personally, I wouldn't have minded a bit more extrapolation and 'depth' to the stories. Of course, I have a vastly different perspective than the original 1970's audience... Also, I wonder why the stories are out of order. 'All Our Yesterdays', which aired near the end of season 3, is the first sto...more
Julie *Friday's Child*
Blish #4, episodes 10/11, 25, 39, 46, 57, 78

Pretty straight-forward one. I like keeping track of differences from the aired episodes but there just aren't many here. In this one my least favorite was All Our Yesterdays which is one of my favorite season three episodes, but I night have as well read a transcript. The dialogue was word-for-word for most part but I get it, and Blish even explains it in one note. I really enjoy reading his notes for some reason.

Enterprise Incident and The Devil in t...more
Seth Kenlon
Found these books in a stash of old sci fi that belonged to my grandfather. At first I didn't understand why they were ever written, and then I was watching a Dr. Who documentary that explained that before TV even imagined the concept of re-runs, people had one way of re-experiencing the episodes of their favourite sci fi episodes: novelizations! And that's what this is, it's a few episodes, more or less transcribed, with just a few differences here and there which keeps things interesting.
Charles
These are Blish's novelizations/storyizations of the original Star Trek episodes. Sometimes they are slightly different from the final episode since they were written from shooting scripts as I understand. Although I enjoyed them, it's because of the tie in with the TV series episodes. The writing here is fairly workmanlike and this is really bare bones kind of work.
Fangirl
When these early novels and stories to Star Trek came out I bought them all, devoured them and loved them. It's been a long time, so today I couldn't even say which of them were really good and which of them I only loved because they were Star Trek. ;)
Just thinking of them and seeing the covers gives me a happy feeling of nostalgia. That alone is worth the rating!
Alicia
!!!! As good as watching an episode -- no, better!

My favorite story/episode was the one when the ambassador from vulcan and his wife come aboard the enterprise and Kirk, seeing how uncomfortable Spock is, gives him leave to go down to the planet and visit his parents. And Spocko says

'But, Captain. Sarek and Amanda ARE my parents.'

OH, Jim!
Heather Domin
I'm reading these volumes in order, and this one is so far the most recognizable (i.e., fewest changes from what we saw on screen). Also it's very Spock-oriented, which is always a plus for me. I couldn't help but notice he used Sherlockian words like "deduce" and "elementary" quite often...
Sam
Blish's short story rewrites of the Original Series Star Trek's scripts are quick, painless reads. They aren't terribly eloquent, since they are based off tv scripts, but they are able to convey some of the more essential Star Trek canon and characterizations in an easy to digest format.
Andy
So insanely all-encompassing was my childhood obsession with Star Trek that, bereft of an access to syndicated Star Trek reruns, I scarfed up these books, which are actually novelizations of the TV episodes, written, no less, by James Blish, winner of multiple Hugo Awards.
Rich Meyer
A solid entry in this series by James Blish. Includes some of the more popular episodes among fans, including "Journey to Babel", "Devil in the Dark" and "A Piece of the Action", along with "The Menagerie", which Blish adapts as the original series pilot, "The Cage".
Chris Stevenson
I'm reading Star Trek 4: I am on the next to last story of this book and I have to say that I love the way James Blish can adapt the script of Star Trek to that of a story. This is a fantastic read. I would highly recommend these for any Star Trek fan.
William
I actually grew up reading these James Blish "Star Trek" adaptations. Long before VHS and mass book marketing these books were heaven to me. I probably read each one a dozen times while growing up. Someday I would like to re-visit them.
Travis
More decent adaptions of the original TV show. In the primitive days before every TV show known to man was online, these were my introduction to Star Trek.

Light weight, but fun way to pass an hour.

André
The stories in this book were indeed better than in the first book. Well, yes, I think I liked them... especially since I liked to read the episode-based short stories.
Shiloh
I love these old Star Trek books by James Blish. It is almost like watching the TV show again, but better. It brings back a lot of memories. I LOVE it!
Jay Daze
Apr 06, 2010 Jay Daze added it
Shelves: sf
Read these in the library at lunch time in grade eight hiding from my tormentors. (A lifetime and five minutes ago.)
Curtiss
Another half dozen episodes or so of the Original TV series rewritten as novella-length Sci-Fi stories.
James Sorensen
Novelizations of Star Trek TOS. Fun to read if you've never seen the original TV episodes.
Tommy /|\
Novelization of Star Trek TV episodes. Not really that good...
Morbus Iff
These adaptations were quite good then, and now.
Allen Reed
Allen Reed marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
  • Star Trek Log Two (Star Trek: Logs, #2)
  • Star Trek: The New Voyages (Star Trek Adventures, #2)
  • The Abode of Life
  • Spock, Messiah! (Star Trek Adventures, #3)
  • Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #2)
  • Black Fire
  • Final Frontier
  • Vulcan! (Star Trek Adventures, #7)
  • The Making Of Star Trek
  • Corona
  • Trek To Madworld (Star Trek Adventures, #9)
  • Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #6)
James Benjamin Blish (East Orange, New Jersey, May 23, 1921 – Henley-on-Thames, July 30, 1975) was an American author of fantasy and science fiction. Blish also wrote literary criticism of science fiction using the pen-name William Atheling Jr.

In the late 1930's to the early 1940's, Blish was a member of the Futurians.

Blish trained as a biologist at Rutgers and Columbia University, and spent 1942–...more
More about James Blish...
Cities in Flight (Cities in Flight, #1-4) A Case of Conscience (After Such Knowledge, #4) They Shall Have Stars (Cities in Flight, #1) Star Trek 1 Spock Must Die! (Star Trek Adventures, #1)