Candy and Me: A Love Story

Candy and Me: A Love Story

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  321 ratings  ·  78 reviews
As a seven-year-old child, Hilary Liftin poured herself a glass (or two) of powdered sugar. Those forbidden cups soon escalated to pound bags of candy corn and multiple packets of dry cocoa mix, launching the epic love affair between Hilary and all things sweet. In Candy and Me: A Love Story, Liftin chronicles her life through candy memories and milestones. As a high schoo...more
Published May 1st 2003 by Free Press (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Candy and Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Candy and Me

VeganMedusa
I wasn't convinced that this book would work, especially as I've never heard of a lot of the sweets, let alone tasted them. Okay, I've had sugar, cocoa, ice cream, Flake, an assortment (I remember the 20 cent mix fondly), candy canes, Tic Tacs, fudge, Snickers, candy floss (cotton candy), and I think Starburst. And Jelly Belly is a recent comer here - they're the only gelatin-free jelly beans I can get for my son.

Anyway, I read this book in one sitting (except for a short walk to the kitchen to...more
Kara Huggard
I love candy and I love this book. Hilary Liftin writes unabashedly about her rabid sweet tooth and her love for all things sugar coated. She effectively uses her changing tastes for and relationship with various candies as a lens through which to examine her life. Liftin is so honest and so entertainingly self-effacing that you can't help but like her. This book will make you nostalgic for candy you haven't had since you were a child and grateful for the sweetness that already exists in your li...more
Elizabeth
I love candy, and this is one of the best books I've ever read.
Melissa
I don't know why I even read this. Lobotomy moment.
Nicole
Not surprisingly, this is a life told through the lens of candy. As a compulsive candy eater (I can't buy it for myself because I can't restrain myself from eating it all at once), it was a lovely little diversion. Lots of attention paid to the details, the precise sensations associated with each type of candy, the psychological aspects of candy eating and compulsion, etc. There's a bit of lip service paid to the fact that candy is not good for you, but really, every resource listed in the back...more
Jessica
My Amazon review: It has easily been fifteen years (when I worked at Morrow's Nut House in Cape May, NJ for the summer) since I have had the candy known as fruit slices. Today I had a quarter pound (and they were delish!). Hilary - I can only blame you.

This fabulously fun book combines sweet with bittersweet in an all out original twist on the memoir. Composed of 57 anecdotes, some only a half of a page in length, this quick read details a life lived through candy consumption, but this is not an...more
Carin
I have an enormous sweet tooth. I used to bake cakes for my dentist in my Easy-Bake Oven. And I love Ms. Liftin's writing. I had read and loved Dear Exile a few years earlier. When I heard this book was coming out, it was like Halloween (my favorite holiday)! Even though I read the book nearly ten years ago, I vividly remember Ms. Liftin talking about when she first ate real fruit - she was in her teens - and she was disappointed that they didn't taste like "grape" and "orange" flavored candy. A...more
george
This was cute. Liftin's memoir of her life is centered around all things candy. Candy Corn, Jellybeans, Snickers, Junior Mints, Bottlecaps, Skittles, Circus Peanuts, Taffy, Twizzlers, Necco Wafers, and Starburst--all of these and more have played a prominent role in her life. She flashes back to her life beginning with Bubble Burgers on through to Meltaways. Each candy reminds her of a specific time or event in her life. As she grows up and eventually falls in love, candy is slowly replaced by m...more
Sarah Sammis
I have to admit to being a sucker for a quirky memoir. A previous favorite of mine is Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life by Amy Krouse Rosenthal, the author of Little Pea. Where she wrote her life story as a series of encyclopedia entries (in alphabetical order, of course), Hilary Liftin has looked at her life according to all the different types (and vast quantities) of candy she has eaten in her memoir Candy and Me.

Liftin begins her book by describing how she would sneak cups of powdered sugar w...more
Brandy
A life story punctuated by candy, or a candy story punctuated by life events--is there any difference between them? Liftin records every texture, every sensation, every experience in great detail, sharing her love for (or addiction to) any form of sugary sweet. From eating cups of powdered sugar with a spoon at seven years old to a marriage proposal in a package of Bottlecaps, candy has always been a part of Liftin's life--and she's willing to share it with you.

Very brief personal essays centere...more
Lacy Lovelace
I love sugar...a little too much so the idea of this memoir caught my attention :). It is the life story of Hilary Liftin with her addiction to sugar in place of dealing with emotions. Each chapter is a certain candy where she discusses her love affair with the delectable morsels. It is a fun and light read that I think anyone would enjoy!
Bree
This was an interesting book, her life's memories all wrapped up in her memories about candy - every event in her life is somehow tied to a certain type of candy. Although, unlike most memoirs, this one doesn't HAVE a lot of memories, you don't really learn her whole life story, because most of the book is writing details and merits of the different candies she focused on in her life.

I thought I was a sugar addict, but after reading this I realize that I'm not quite so bad...sure, I enjoy candy...more
Tracey
I buzzed through this book online for free, courtesy of Microsoft. If I'm going to read an e-book, I'd prefer something formatted for my Visor, as it's much more portable, but I'm never one to turn down free - esp since I'd wanted to read this book.

Much like its main topic - it was light, fluffy and sweet, with a chewy center. Hilary discusses her obsessive relationship with all things sucrose-laced, and how, as love becomes more important in her life, candy becomes less important. Mostly humor...more
Melanie
Who can't identify with this book? Who can't feel nostalgia at thinking about favorite candies? I was surprised at my emotional response to this book. Reading of her love of candy corn, I felt a burst of joy at my same feeling (and proper way to eat it!) I was surprised at how quickly I responded to this book. Perhaps because candy is ,ore universal than we realize, but it was so easy to relate and remember as I read this book. It made it personal for me, which is a mark of a good book! While re...more
Maria (Ri)
So I like candy and have fond memories of eating candy as a child, but Hilary's obsession goes way beyond what I would ever even dream possible! It was truly fascinating to even conceive that someone could eat so much candy and be so thoughtful about it! I love Hilary's writing. I had put off reading this book for a long time, but started it right away when I realized the author was one of the co-authors of Dear Exile, which I thought was fantastic. I'm a little slow sometimes to catch on! ;) An...more
Mary
Surprisingly interesting and a little bit disturbing - I love candy myself and can never imagine eating as much as Hilary consumed through the course of this book. The stories are woven and sugar-laced with info about all the types of candy that abound though, and I while at first it took me a bit to get into the book, I enjoyed reading about her growing up and learning to control her candy urges (at least a little bit). I too, adore bottlecaps, and her description of them and each candy that sh...more
Linda
Would liked to have more substance and less about the candies. Quick read that just made me want to eat the candies I grew up with.
Kelley
I love candy. I love this book. It makes me want to eat more candy. MUAHAHAHA.
Margaret
I could relate to Hilary's sugar addiction more than I would like to admit here, LOL! A quick & tasty read, I think it should really be read with your preferred candy in hand. I thought some of the pictoral depictions were quite clever and amusing. Like her, as an adult my tastes have somewhat become more refined and I have become more controlled (although I have never been quite at her level thankfully) in my eating however I will never lose my sweet tooth entirely I'm sure. I did enjoy re...more
Lynda
This was a light and fluffy read with lots of nostalgia. Everyone can remember their favorite childhood candy and the author just about covers them all.

Aside from the novelty of a biography centered around candy, I can’t say this was a particularly interesting read. The author’s life was dull and although she writes well, there’s not much that can make up for a boring story.

Reading this book gave me a stomachache. Unless you have a serious (and I do mean serious) love of candy, I wouldn’t recomm...more
Elizabeth
I thought I was alone in establishing the rule that I could eat as much candy as wanted after the age of seventy-five. Imagine my surprise when the author dreamed up a candy-oriented-assisted-living residence. Jelly Belly bingo! Custom candy bouquets! Nightly ice cream socials! Awesome.

A (very) quick, fun read. Am hoping that the list of candy resources included with the book will help in my hunt for the so far elusive French Eggs (the highlight of my brother's and my Easter baskets).
Maureen
Sep 06, 2007 Maureen rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Women who have a sweet tooth!
I loved this: I felt a connection to the author, whose addiction to sweets is pretty severe. It reminded me of my childhood, when fighting over who got the good Easter Candy was the high point of the holiday, and rooting through my mother's drawers to find her stash of chocolate was a forbidden delight. It's nice to find I was not alone in this single-minded pursuit of sweetness, and that both the author and I have gotten control over it at last! Nicely written.
Janette Grimshaw
This lady was super obsessed with candy as a child! I thought I was bad, but not in comparison to her, and I only like chocolate candy anyway. It was an interesting read, but a little repetitive in the middle. I was glad the author finally evolved in her candy obsession by the end of the book. Any of the candy snippets could be used as a great read aloud in class and followed up with having students write about their own candy memories or obsessions.
Rebecca
A cute approach to remembering the highs and lows of growing up. Each chapter is a candy and the memory that coincides with it. It's really disturbing the amount of sugar the author could consume in a day, seemingly without serious side effects. While I always considered myself to have a big sweet tooth, at times I almost felt close a sugar coma when reading of her steady and daily diet of all things sweet.
Carrie
We read the "Assortment" and "Snickers" chapters from this for our first memoir exercise, brought in candy and everything. It went awesomely. "Valencia"--my case study who claims she can't write off the top of her head and is a horrible writer--was the first to volunteer what she wrote about candy and it was fantastic! The kids clapped for her and it was the cutest thing I've ever seen. Me=happy/exhausted.
Jenelias
I read this on the beach of Zihuatanejo and it was perfect. Each chapter is a different story about a particular type of candy. Gabe also read it and we love to talk about mints and the scale the author uses to determine which mint product is most candy-like and which is most breath-freshening. Really funny. Wonderful light book. Super fast read If you love candy, you will love this book.
Jeanine
Fascinating. Such an interesting memoir full of nostalgia. Evoked tons of good memories like walks to the drug store with Jenny May, drives in my Grandpa McNicholas's Chevy with Phil to get penny candy at my uncle's small town gas station and the echo of footsteps on the hardwoods in the old fashioned candy store at Pitt in my college days. Delicious!
Carrie
I'm a child at heart... I love all kinds of little kids candy. A friend of mine lent me this book (she shares the same passion about candy)and it's so fun to read! Anyone who has a true love and appreciation for candy should read. The story of Hillary's life told through the discovery of candy is hilarious and heartbreaking at the same time.
Ah, I could have written this book! I loved to read about someone as infaturated with candy as I am . . . I do not pass a new candy without buying it. And my husband's quote for me is, "She's never met a candy that she doesn't like." ~ not entirely true but close! And this book reads like cotton candy ~ light and fluffy!
Holly Booms Walsh
This was a sweet little memoir about the writer's lifelong candy addiction and what different candies symbolize at different periods of her life. It's a light, happy read that's full of nostalgia - sort of a lighter version of Candyfreak as it has less of the history of different candies and candy companies.
  • American Pie: Slices of Life (and Pie) from America's Back Roads
  • Stuffed: Adventures of a Restaurant Family
  • Cradle of Flavor: Home Cooking from the Spice Islands of Indonesia, Malaysia, and Singapore
  • Monsoon Diary: A Memoir with Recipes
  • It Takes Balls: Dating Single Moms and Other Confessions from an Unprepared Single Dad
  • The Day I Turned Uncool: Confessions of a Reluctant Grown-up
  • Spiced: A Pastry Chef's True Stories of Trials by Fire, After-Hours Exploits, and What Really Goes on in the Kitchen
  • I'm With Fatty: Losing Fifty Pounds in Fifty Miserable Weeks
  • My Life as a Furry Red Monster: What Being Elmo Has Taught Me About Life, Love and Laughing Out Loud
  • Thanksgiving
  • Japanese Women Don't Get Old or Fat: Secrets of My Mother's Tokyo Kitchen
  • Think Like a Chef
  • Shark's Fin And Sichuan Pepper: A Sweet-Sour Memoir of Eating in China
  • Peter Reinhart's Whole Grain Breads: New Techniques, Extraordinary Flavor
  • The Year My Son and I Were Born: A Story of Down Syndrome, Motherhood, and Self-Discovery
  • Candyfreak: A Journey through the Chocolate Underbelly of America
  • What I Eat: Around the World in 80 Diets
  • 101 Things to Do with a Cake Mix
Dear Exile: The True Story of Two Friends Separated (for a Year) by an Ocean Candy and Me Dear Exile: The True Story of Two Friends Separated (for a Year) by the Ocean Presenting...Tallulah Found: A Daughter's Journey Home