Start by marking “Star Trek 2” as Want to Read:
Star Trek 2

Star Trek 2 (Star Trek #2)

Star Trek 2
Published November 1st 1997 by Bantam Books (first published 1968)

To ask other readers questions about Star Trek 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Trek 2

Dustin
Apr 26, 2015 Dustin rated it it was ok
This edition of “Let’s summarize an episode of Star Trek” includes adaptations of Arena, A Taste of Armageddon, Tomorrow Is Yesterday, Errand of Mercy, Court Martial, Operation--Annihilate!, The City on the Edge of Forever, and Space Seed. I can already feel Harlan Ellison spinning in his grave.
Arena is about how I remember it from the show. Blish does a good job setting the scene of the, well, arena world and the Gorn.
A Taste of Armageddon is a brisk retelling, but the characters all feel accur
Sath
This is the 2nd of Blish's adaptations of star trek episodes, taking the script and turning them into short stories. This set includes the episode that introduced the Klingons, and the episode that set up the movie "Wrath of Khan". This is Important Stuff.

Some of these match very closely with the aired episodes, some are much more changed, but I noticed the differences in every one.

In my estimation most of them have come out better than the original episodes. Everything that annoyed me, the inco
Tracy Poff
This review also appears on my blog.

James Blish's novelizations of Star Trek episodes continue in Star Trek 2, published in February 1968. This volume includes novelizations of "Arena", "A Taste of Armageddon", "Tomorrow is Yesterday", "Errand of Mercy", "Court Martial", "Operation--Annihilate!", "The City on the Edge of Forever", and "Space Seed".

Each short story is typically quite similar to the episode being adapted, though there are some differences. Notably, the ending of "Operation--Annihi
George
Jun 04, 2016 George rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Βαθμολογία: 7/10

Τον Σεπτέμβριο του 2012 διάβασα το πρώτο βιβλίο της σειράς, που στα ελληνικά κυκλοφόρησε με τον τίτλο "Ταξίδι στ'αστέρια", από τις εκδόσεις Φλίππερ. Αυτό είναι το δεύτερο από τα συνολικά δώδεκα βιβλία που κυκλοφόρησαν στο εξωτερικό (και ας κυκλοφόρησε στα ελληνικά από τις εκδόσεις Καστανιώτη ως "Ταξίδι στ'αστέρια 1" ή "Star Trek 1"), με τον μεγάλο συγγραφέα της επιστημονικής φαντασίας Τζέιμς Μπλις να προσαρμόζει σε διηγήματα τα επεισόδια της σειράς Star Trek που άρχισε να προβάλλ
David King
Mar 10, 2013 David King rated it liked it
“Star Trek 2” by James Blish was the 2nd in his series of short story collections which brings together adaptations of Star Trek Original Series scripts. The eight stories included in this collection are all from season one and are as follows:

Arena
A Taste of Armageddon
Tomorrow Is Yesterday
Errand of Mercy
Court Martial
Operation--Annihilate!
The City on the Edge of Forever
Space Seed

This is actually quite a decent set of stories, which include the introduction of Khan, the Guardian of Forever and th
Leila Anani
This anthology collects together the season 1 TOS episodes:
• Arena
• A Taste of Armageddon
• Tomorrow is yesterday
• Errand of Mercy
• Court Martial
• Operation -- Annihilate!
• The City on the Edge of Forever
• Space Seed

There are some differences from the screened versions as these are based on the shooting scripts.
Overall I loved this one as it features some of my favourite episodes including the wonderful Wrath of Khan prequel: Space Seed.

While I've never found James Blish to be one of the best Tr
Mehmet Lehmann
May 08, 2017 Mehmet Lehmann rated it it was ok
not bas
Kathy
Dec 11, 2016 Kathy rated it really liked it
Pretty faithful novelization of several episodes from Season One; when the original script differed largely from the final shooting script, Blish would combine the two and try to incorporate the "best of both worlds." "The City on the Edge of Forever" probably differed the most, and it was interesting to see some of Harlan Ellison's original ideas. A quick read and definitely fun if you like Star Trek TOS.
OJ Svartheim
Jan 07, 2017 OJ Svartheim rated it did not like it
See "Star Trek 1" by James Blish for a detailed comment about my opinion of books 1-13.
Francisco
Apr 18, 2016 Francisco rated it really liked it
We come to the second of what will eventually be 12 volumes of novelizations of the original series by James Blish (there will also be an added volume by his wife, adapting the Mudd episodes with an original novela thrown in). This volume adapts some of the best episodes of the whole original series and it includes: "Arena", "A Taste of Armageddon", "Tomorrow is Yesterday", "Errand of Mercy", "Court Martial", "Operation: Annihilate!", "City on the Edge of Forever" and "Space Seed".

Again Blish is
Michael Kaiser
I don't expect to be wowed by any of these original Trek adaptations, but my favorite thing about the first novel was the differences between adapted episodes vs the episodes themselves. Unfortunately, things must have been gelling better now that the show hit its stride in year three, and the characters and stories didn't really deviate all that much. Still, a couple interesting changes:

-Operation: Annihilate!-The ending was changed to have the Enterprise destroy the creature's home planet (sou
Daniel
Aug 04, 2008 Daniel rated it liked it
Nostalgia.

Opening this book brings me back to the very first time I read this -- back in the very early 1970's. (This particular copy is the 11th printing and still it has no ISBN number.) Back to a time when I had to rely on the local television station to broadcast old Star Trek episodes in order to watch them. There were no DVDs or even VCR tapes. You couldn't record them (only by audio cassette). So these printed stories were little nuggets of gold to fanatical young Trekkers such as myself.
Ed Wyrd
Sep 14, 2016 Ed Wyrd rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-trek
unlike Star Trek 1, which appeared rushed to print, this one was published a year later, giving James Blish more time and it seems more care to the project of writing short stories from the original scripts.

There are some memorable episodes here and they translate well to this shorter medium. "Arena," where Kirk battles the lizard man, for example.

Some of the stories seem to have changed from the original airing, and one might assume that the screenplay that Blish worked from was different from
Yaaresse
When i was a kid, my older sister's friend GAVE me the entire collection. (I know!) Over the next few years, I read them all in order, starting the first one the day after I finished the last one. Loved them. I'm not sad that I didn't hang onto them and can only hope they still exist to make some other fan happy. (But I doubt it because...well, paperbacks, you know?)

The adaptations got better in the later volumes, but it was Star Trek whenever and wherever I wanted with having to put up with th
Rich Meyer
Jan 19, 2013 Rich Meyer rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
Another of James Blish's novelizations of Star Trek episodes, this one features two of my favorites, "City on the Edge of Forever" (originally written by Harlan Ellison) and "Operation Annihilate". Blish is much more consistent with his characterizations than in the first volume.

Fans should note that this also features the adaptation of the episode "Space Seed", which featured Ricardo Montalban as Khan for the first time.
Fangirl
When these early novels and stories to Star Trek came out I bought them all, devoured them and loved them. It's been a long time, so today I couldn't even say which of them were really good and which of them I only loved because they were Star Trek. ;)
Just thinking of them and seeing the covers gives me a happy feeling of nostalgia. That alone is worth the rating!
Mike McDevitt
Aug 01, 2011 Mike McDevitt rated it liked it
Good stories is good stories, but I don't feel the need to keep or re-read this.
Even for the sake of re-reading every Star Trek book I don't see the point of this re-interpretation.
When it's exactly the same as the aired episode I find myself nodding off, and when it's different, well... it's REALLY different. Not always for the best.
"Klingons are descended from Oriental stock?" The hell?
Tim Gray
Apr 04, 2015 Tim Gray rated it really liked it
I first read these borrowed from a library at a young age - when there was no hope of more Star Trek except in paper form. So even episodes as stories had some novelty. James Blish is an accomplished writer, and he makes good us of the episodes he has here. A familiar read, but with occasional differences, these are a light and entertaining read.
Heather Domin
Dec 31, 2012 Heather Domin rated it liked it
Shelves: star-trek-books
(Sorry for the edit: I mixed up volumes 2 and 3.) This one is much less odd than Volume 1. None of the episodes stuck out for me except City on the Edge of Forever, which has a much more emotional Spock. The final paragraphs warmed my fannish heart.
Colin
Aug 27, 2008 Colin rated it it was amazing
Part of the reason why I rated this book so highly is that it was the first Star Trek book I ever read. In fact, it was one of the first adult books ("adult" in the sense of, "not a children's book") I ever read. This one started me on all the James Blish episode novelizations.
Amber
Nov 19, 2013 Amber rated it it was amazing
Seeing as though they are series of short stories, you don't know much about the characters or background. But as the stories go on, you learn about the characters and their origin. Great read. I'm looking forward to reading the remainder of the series.
Renee Taylor
Feb 06, 2016 Renee Taylor rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Another interesting read on the original episodes of Star Trek. It was interesting to compare the aired episode to the novelization of the episode. Includes Arena, Space Seed and The City on the Edge of Forever.
Ryan
Nov 08, 2014 Ryan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek-tos
Fun read. Contains several good episodes including "Space Seed," which is the episode with Khan.
Kenneth
Jan 17, 2016 Kenneth rated it liked it
Shelves: star-trek
Includes the story The City at the Edge of Forever. A good read about the TV series.
Susan
Feb 12, 2013 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013, science-fiction
Another fine book novelization for TOS of Star Trek. One of them might have been forerunner to the Goa'uld in the Stargate universe...

I'm really enjoying these stories!

Ogreart Art
Reread March 1980.
Reread January 1979.
Read July 1978.
Charles
Oct 08, 2008 Charles rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I have this in an omnibus edition.
Curtiss
Another half dozen episodes or so of the Original TV series rewritten as novella-length Sci-Fi stories.
Ishki
Sep 28, 2014 Ishki rated it liked it
As with the other original series adaptions by Blish they are just middling. Good for a quick read before bed.
Joe Robertson
May 21, 2010 Joe Robertson rated it liked it
Once again, light, very easy reading.
  • Star Trek Log Two (Star Trek: Logs, #2)
  • Star Trek: The New Voyages (Star Trek Adventures, #2)
  • Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #4)
  • Vulcan! (Star Trek Adventures, #7)
  • Killing Time
  • The Making of Star Trek
  • World Without End (Star Trek Adventures, #10)
  • Crossroad
  • The World of Star Trek
  • Legacy
  • The Kobayashi Maru
  • Star Trek Star Fleet Technical Manual
James Benjamin Blish (East Orange, New Jersey, May 23, 1921 – Henley-on-Thames, July 30, 1975) was an American author of fantasy and science fiction. Blish also wrote literary criticism of science fiction using the pen-name William Atheling Jr.

In the late 1930's to the early 1940's, Blish was a member of the Futurians.

Blish trained as a biologist at Rutgers and Columbia University, and spent 1942–
More about James Blish...

Star Trek (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Star Trek 1