Start by marking “Culinary Artistry” as Want to Read:
Culinary Artistry

Culinary Artistry

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  1,078 ratings  ·  34 reviews
"In Culinary Artistry...Dornenburg and Page provide food and flavor pairings as a kind of steppingstone for the recipe-dependent cook...Their hope is that once you know the scales, you will be able to compose a symphony."a Molly O'Neil in The New York Times Magazine.
For anyone who believes in the potential for artistry in the realm of food, Culinary Artistry is a must-rea
Published November 4th 1996 by Wiley (first published October 21st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Culinary Artistry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Culinary Artistry

On page 7 of this book is a description of three kinds of chefs. First, there is the Burger Flipper, who cooks to fill the hungry stomach. "I'm full" is the desired response. Then there is Accomplished Chef, who wants to please the hungry stomach. "That was delicious" is the desired response. And then there is the Culinary Artist..."Life is wonderful".

You don't have to be a Culinary Artist to make the most of this book. nor even a professional chef. You do have to enjoy cooking and want to take
nick padilla
Feb 14, 2008 nick padilla rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who cook without recipes
Recommended to nick by: Little Joe the TA
this is the book you go to when you find something really good at a market and want to make up a dish that features it. Its also the book you go to when you are a cook and you want to convince yourself you're an artist. Best book about food ever written, in a three way tie with McGee On Food and Cooking and Escoffier.
This book speaks to the heart of my culinary journey. It's all about growth and development and finding my way to the expression of my soul through cooking. I identify with so many of the great chefs in this book and I feel I'm standing alongside them in their kitchens. The thoughtfulness and preparation one must have for each dish drives me to explore various flavors and technique.

Culinary Artistry is all about understanding that which confronts the thoughtful and caring chef, though not becaus
Juneau Public Library
Not sure what to do with that huge Costco flat of pears, or the freshly-caught halibut you just brought home?

This cooking book isn’t as visually appealing as some on our shelves - no beautiful, full-color photos of tasty dishes - but it is packed full of information for enthusiastic (and creative) cooks. It includes sample restaurant menus and information about building your own menus, plus recipes from some well-known chefs, but the best part, in my opinion, is the alphabetical index of ingredi
if you love to cook adventurously (without recipes)... this is the BEST COOK BOOK EVER. get your hands on it immediately. simply contains long lists of alphabetized ingredients - and what other ingredients compliment them. and some loosely suggested combinations and dishes. so very incredibly helpful and fun!
This book is one of the reasons I went to culinary school. My copy is dog-eared, written in and generally falling apart. Nearly eight years out of the CIA and I still consult this book constantly for inspiration.
Interesting, I guess. Explores the idea of cooking and/or food as art. Includes many quotes, rather than formal interviews, with chefs you probably have heard of a few of, a handful of recipes, and a large section - which is what I bought it for - of lists of flavor pairings, identifying what goes with what, including both familiar and strange combinations.

The pairings are interesting, and the whole book a fine idea, really; other than the fact that I was not familiar with about 1/3 of the chefs
Mar 18, 2007 clara rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone interested in food
hands down the best food/flavor guide book...
Getting a copy of this book in my 3rd year of culinary school nearly caused me to drop out.

This is because reading the book caused me to totally rethink everything I'd been doing in the kitchen, realize that I wanted to completely rebuild my cuisine from the quarry tile up, and stop cooking boring food.

Dornenburg and Page are great writers, and the book should be required reading for all 2nd year culinary students -- it'll shake up their ideas, help loosen some dogmatic crap, and help them broad
This is like a wizards spell book for ideas and pairing and such. Liked this along with Becoming a Chef, and Dining Out. Great writers pairing with Dornenberg and Page.
Oliver Cantu
if you have any intrest in cooking as a hobby of a profesion, read this book first
Read over the course of many months- but found the last few days I kept going back to certain spots that just spoke to me. I have phone calls often giving me a list of ingredients and the people ask- what should I make? The matching and pairing sections of the book have become a go to guide!
Rune Huang
"What's hard about it is that degree of sacrifice. It's not so hard. Anybody could do it for one or two nights, for a week. It's mustering that energy and dealing with the other areas of your life that you have put on hold that you wish you could develop--like seeing a movie this year, maybe? it's the constancy--it's almost hysterical."
One of the first I've been able to find that actually has a comprehensive starter list of food pairings. Very helpful for when you have a hundred ideas, and not too sure where to go with a meal. Also, as with their other books, there are features on leading chefs, and these are great reading, small gems from their experience.
A very good book, but only for those who already have a lot of basic cooking knowledge. This is not a beginner book by any means. That being said, the information in here is top-notch. There are many famous chefs throughout giving their ideas on many different cooking styles. I found it very inspiring.
Serge Pierro
Wow.... an amazing book. A MUST read for anyone seriously interested in cooking - either at home or professionally. The book covers food pairings, menu planning, how a chef thinks etc. Outstanding! The listings of what ingredients go best with others, is alone worth the price of the book.
A must for every culinary enthusiast, as this book unassumingly teaches and guides the reader on both well-known and obscure techniques, foods, tools, etc. To help graduate yourself to the next level, I recommend this book for anyone who can do far more than boil water. GREAT BOOK!
Brooke Spencer
As an amateur (at-home) chef, I found this to be enlightening. The charts of complimentary flavors were insightful, and I felt very inspired to try new things after reading.
Jordan Wittrock
A really great book, a must read for anyone looking for inspiration in cooking or just trying to better understand the masters working behind the scenes.
Diana Thayer
Extremely helpful combinations of complimentary foods. Very useful for cooking with ingredients you have on hand rather than from recipes.
Was expecting pictures and plating ideas - they weren't there. Pretty much the same as The Food Bible, which I think is better.
Michael T
Great list of ingredients by season and inspiring taste pairings and flavor families.
The absolute best book for pairing flavors and getting away from recipes
Great resource for ideas of combining textures, flavors and ingredients.
The book discusses the art of creating new culinary experiences.
Not your typical cookbook. Great addition to any foodie's library.
A must have for any culinarian or anyone who likes to experiment
SUCH an amazing book to have on hand at ALL times.
Matt Barg
This book got me through culinary school
  • Garde Manger: The Art and Craft of the Cold Kitchen
  • Charcuterie: The Craft of Salting, Smoking, and Curing
  • The Fat Duck Cookbook
  • The Whole Beast: Nose to Tail Eating
  • The Professional Pastry Chef: Fundamentals of Baking and Pastry
  • The Food Lover's Companion (Barron's Cooking Guide)
  • A Day At Elbulli
  • The Escoffier Cookbook: and Guide to the Fine Art of Cookery for Connoisseurs, Chefs, Epicures
  • Think Like a Chef
  • Pure Dessert
  • Molecular Gastronomy: Exploring the Science of Flavor
  • The Curious Cook: More Kitchen Science and Lore
Karen Page and Andrew Dornenburg have been called the brightest young author team on the culinary scene today's on NPR. Their previous books Becoming a Chef, Dining Out, and The New American Chef have all been finalists for or winners of James Beard and/or IACP Book Awards.

Their landmark book Culinary Artistry, the first- known reference on culinary composition and flavor compatibility, establishe
More about Andrew Dornenburg...
What to Drink with What You Eat: The Definitive Guide to Pairing Food with Wine, Beer, Spirits, Coffee, Tea - Even Water - Based on Expert Advice from America's Best Sommeliers Becoming a Chef Dining Out: Secrets from America's Leading Critics, Chefs, and Restaurateurs The New American Chef: Cooking with the Best of Flavors and Techniques from Around the World Chef's Night Out: From Four-Star Restaurants to Neighborhood Favorites: 100 Top Chefs Tell You Where (and How!) to Enjoy America's Best