Start by marking “Retief's War (Retief #6)” as Want to Read:
Retief's War (Retief #6)

Retief's War (Retief #3)

It's Retief the galactic policeman and Earthman on a visit to the planet of Quopp, where Earthmen must tread quietly or not at all. But Ambassador Longspoon has a plan to unite all the hostile tribes of Quopp under one government -- to make them more friendly to Earth.

Yet already Retief has learned of another plan -- the evil, half-human, half machine Groaci's plan to dest
Published 1978 by Pocket (first published 1965)

To ask other readers questions about Retief's War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Retief's War

Jack
Dec 30, 2008 Jack rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is probably the third or fourth time I've read this book and again, I enjoy the way Laumer pokes fun at liberals, bureaucracy and bureaucrats. Retief is the "James Bond" of the galaxy, deftly handing any manner of problem that may pop up, working his way around bumbling superiors and rescuing both planets and babes from the hands of those power-hungry minions that would do harm to both.

His tongue-in-cheek presentation will keep you chuckling.
Tim Poston
May 16, 2016 Tim Poston rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I first read this fifty years ago, as an (almost) beardless youth, and was delighted to find a second hand copy in Bookworm.

It is pure froth, unlike for instance https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1..., which gave me tools I still think with. But it's joyful froth, including my all-time favourite threat in all of science fiction:
"To remember which side of the bread substitute has the ikky-wax on it."
Ginger Heskett
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Robert J. Sullivan
Retief, the resourceful and indomitable diplomat who faces countless dangers in the service of the Corps Diplomatique Terrestienne, is on the planet Quopp, with its many forms of wheeled and rotored inhabitants. The Voion, one of the races, have been selected by the CDT to set up a planetary government to replace the cheerful chaos the inhabitants employ. Unfortunately, the Voions idea of peace is subjugating or exterminating all the others.

Retief has his hands full setting up a counter-revoluti
Traummachine
2.5 stars:
It had been 7 years since I last read a Retief story...one of my first reviews ever! I read several Laumer books in the interim, so I figured it was high time to get back to what started it all, Retief.

Sadly, this wasn't that great. Just like the first time I read some Retief, I feel like he overstays his welcome in a short novel, and is much better in Laumer's short fiction. Retief's War felt largely like "There, he barely got out of that one, what should I throw at him next?". It jus
Curtiss
Apr 27, 2008 Curtiss rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This novel postulates a charming alien adaptation; every creature on the planet incorporates the wheel in some form or other as part of its body scheme, even flying creatures with rotor blades instead of wings, as a means of locomotion.

Retief is possibly Science Fiction's most humorous, and also invariably triumphant, recurring character; embodying the intelligence and machismo of James Bond (Retief's portrayal on the cover art of some of the books is rather remininiscent of James Coburn as Dere
Christopher Taylor
I have always enjoyed the Retief books for their witty combination of fun and action. This one was more of that fun, with the rascal diplomat on a planet with strange biomechanical insects and creatures made of various metals.

A recent arrival, he discovers one section of the population trying to take over the planet with the help of a alien race which is rival to the Terrans in opening trade and cultural relations with the planet. The underdog and constantly in trouble, Retief is always three st
George
Sep 18, 2013 George rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
#3 in Laumer's Jame Retief science fiction series. These were written in the 1960's, but are still fun to read. Retief is a diplomat in the Corps Terrestienne Diplomatique which are the "good guys" in the inter galactic rivalry with the Groaci who are the "bad guys." This is an essentially tongue in cheek series in which Retief's superiors are hopeless incompetents and Retief's always is there to save the day and set things right.
Debbie
Mar 20, 2009 Debbie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Debbie by: Brian
Shelves: 2009-read
This book was not as much fun as Retief of the CDT. It deals mainly with war and rebellion tactics than the crazy antics of incompetent diplomats. I generally find war and battle scenes borng. Would I have been more interested if it took place on a planet full of bunnies and puppies instead of insects? Maybe....
Jayw
Simpleminded Terran ambassador sets greedy and stupid race up to subjugate planet of wheeled insect beings. Fortunately, galactic good guy Retief is around to save the planet, the beautiful ship wrecked space travelers and the rum traders.
bluetyson
Retief's War by Keith Laumer (2000)
Mike S
Jul 26, 2016 Mike S rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-sci-fi
Typical Laumer: fast-paced, funny, imaginative, irreverent, insightful, a fun read. I look forward to reading everything Laumer ever wrote. I usually don't like terse, but he does it really well.
Steve Bryan
A fun but loosely written romp! If you have read other Retief's you will enjoy this... If not, better to start on one of the earlier works....
Peter
May 11, 2012 Peter rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Retief - need I say more
David
David rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2013
Fred Mccarty
Fred Mccarty rated it really liked it
May 26, 2010
Michael Bernstein
Michael Bernstein rated it really liked it
Dec 08, 2016
Avi
Avi rated it liked it
Jan 23, 2017
Random
Random rated it it was amazing
May 26, 2009
Carl Godfrey
Carl Godfrey rated it it was amazing
Jun 30, 2015
Rene
Rene rated it really liked it
Nov 18, 2012
Michael Lynes
Michael Lynes rated it it was amazing
Mar 14, 2015
Dennis Hearon
Dennis Hearon rated it really liked it
May 07, 2016
Vanessa Blackwell
Vanessa Blackwell rated it it was amazing
Sep 28, 2013
evan
evan rated it it was amazing
Nov 28, 2007
David Slater
David Slater rated it liked it
Feb 28, 2013
Chuck Lawson
Chuck Lawson rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2010
Jim
Jim rated it really liked it
Nov 07, 2011
Shawn Stanford
Shawn Stanford rated it liked it
Feb 12, 2014
Kenneth
Kenneth rated it it was amazing
Dec 14, 2016
  • Bolo Brigade (Bolo, #4)
  • Bill, the Galactic Hero on the Planet of the Robot Slaves (Bill, #2)
  • And the Devil Will Drag You Under
  • Bones of the Past (Arhel, #2)
  • Visitor (Foreigner, #17)
  • Dagger's Point (Shadow & Dagger, #5)
  • Barbary
  • The Dome in the Forest (The Pelbar Cycle, #3)
  • Mansions of Darkness (Saint-Germain, #9)
  • Star Rebel
  • The Middle of Nowhere (Star Wolf, #3)
  • The Rose Sea
  • Spacial Delivery (Dilbia, #1)
  • Dream Dancer (Kerrion Empire, #1)
  • Ballroom of the Skies
  • A Wizard in Chaos (Rogue Wizard, #6)
  • The Triumphant (Bolos 3)
  • The Enchanter Reborn
John Keith Laumer (9 June 1925–23 January 1993) was an American science fiction author. Prior to becoming a full-time writer, he was an officer in the U.S. Air Force and a U.S. diplomat. His brother March Laumer was also a writer, known for his adult reinterpretations of the Land of Oz (also mentioned in Keith's The Other Side of Time).

Keith Laumer (aka J.K Laumer, J. Keith Laumer) is best known f
More about Keith Laumer...

Retief (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Retief: Envoy to New Worlds (Retief, #1)
  • Galactic Diplomat (Retief, #2)
  • Retief and the Warlords (Retief, #4)
  • Retief: Ambassador to Space (Retief, #5)
  • Retief's Ransom (Retief, #6)
  • Retief of the CDT (Retief, #7)
  • Retief: Emissary To The Stars (Retief, #8)
  • Retief At Large
  • Retief: Diplomat at Arms
  • Retief to the Rescue (Retief, #11)