Exploring Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials: An Unauthorized Adventure Through The Golden Compass, The Subtle Knife, and The Amber Spyglass

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  213 ratings  ·  10 reviews

His Dark Materials is one of the most popular, award-winning fantasies of all time, a bestselling trilogy hailed as "a modern classic" by The New York Times.

Now, for the first time ever, Lois H. Gresh helps young readers examine Pullman's intricate universe with Exploring His Dark Materials, the ultimate companion guide. Gresh's fun, interactive book explores the complex

Published October 30th 2007 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published 2007)

Becky
This is the 4th time I have read this book and this read around I had it licked in 24 hours. Not due to any book endurance/speed reading incentive, but because I just could not remove it from my company and when it was in my company the ease and enjoyment of the bloody thing had it finished in the lickety split 24 hours. And I cried and I remembered how good it was and I am to begin the third and final book today and hope to remember and cry also.
Margot
I really enjoyed Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials series. He pulled together the ideas for the books from many classic literature and scientific sources, including Milton's Paradise Lost, a line from which inspired the title of the series. Lois Gresh promised an exploration through these inspirational sources and an analytical look at the many issues (metaphysical, spiritual, scientific, and otherwise) explored in the series. But I found that her book failed to continue the conversations that...more
This is the perfect book for anyone interested in the "behind the text" of Pullman's series, however the slightly too-chatty tone combined with first-person narrative (eg, "I have a few modern books about angels" or "In the last chapter, we discussed..."). I found it distracting from the actual information, but for middle grade readers - whom I suspect are the intended audience - that might not matter.
bookmania007
This book was boring that's al I have to say it was boring I couldn't read it but I managed and I don't recommend it at all to anyone it was boring and didn't live up to my expectations!

By Emmy! Happy blogging!
Dria Butler
Jul 12, 2008 Dria Butler rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like Fantasies
Recommended to Dria by: People who, like me (liked the movie)
O.K. I loved the movie and loved the book! In the movie I didn't like how they left You questioning the whole story, but in the book they had you think of your own ending, then told you the real ending!!!
cody
so far lyra is trying to catch up with her father lord asrial, and roger. lord asrial plans to open a portal to a diffrent world because he is sick of the authority.
Very well written,very interesting and creative storyline
Serena
It was a great book. I enjoyed reading it.
Ariel
Couldn't finish it.
Maxelli Borja
Maxelli Borja marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Richard
Richard marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Sandra
Sandra marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Moira Mcglynn
Moira Mcglynn marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
Walter Pineda
Walter Pineda marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2014
Jolenemeghan
Jolenemeghan marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2014
Bernadette
Bernadette marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2014
Carolyn
Carolyn marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2014
Amanda R. Kelly
Amanda R. Kelly marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2014
LOIS H. GRESH is the New York Times Best-Selling Author (6 times), Publishers Weekly Best-Selling Paperback Author, Publishers Weekly Best-Selling Paperback Children's Author, and USA Today Best-Selling Author of 27 books and 55 short stories. Her books have been published in 22 languages. Current books are dark story collection ELDRITCH EVOLUTIONS (Chaosium 2011, BookViewCafe ebook 2012), antholo...more
More about Lois H. Gresh...
The Twilight Companion: The Unauthorized Guide to the Series Hunger Games Companion The Mortal Instruments Companion: City of Bones, Shadowhunters, and the Sight: The Unauthorized Guide The Science of Superheroes The Truth Behind A Series of Unfortunate Events: Eyeballs, Leeches, Hypnotism and Orphans --- Exploring Lemony Snicket's World