Start by marking “Art: A Brief History (4th Edition)” as Want to Read:
Art: A Brief History (4th Edition)

Art: A Brief History (4th Edition)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  90 ratings  ·  6 reviews

For courses in Art History, World Art, Art Appreciation.

Art: A Brief History provides students with the most student-friendly, contextual, and inclusive art history survey text on the market. The most popular choice for the one-semester survey market, Art: A Brief History is a condensation of the best-seller, Art History.

This new edition of Art: A Brief History is

Published October 12th 2009 by Pearson (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Art, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Art

Brandon
Last year I originally took Art History because it was an art requirement. I had taken a ceramics class the year before and realized that not only can I not make ceramic materials well, but I didn't really enjoy it. But when I got into Art History, I realized that I could appreciate art all day. I know it may seem silly that I'm reviewing an Art History textbook, but this one of my favorite textbooks I've ever had. The amazing detail and the interesting facts the textbook gave made Art History s ...more
Kellie
I was never that much into art until one day an artist friend said to me:

Corrine: Kellie, let me explain it to you this way: art is a physical manifestation of the artists opinion, emotion, desire, hunger...what have you. You are not a plebeian if you don't like a piece of art. That is not it's purpose. Art has only one purpose: to make you FEEL something. Anger, happiness, disgust, desire, sadness, elation. If you, as an observer, feel ANYTHING, then the artist has done his or her job.

Oh, that
Shannon Thompson
I read this for my art history class at the University of Kansas. Very interesting and informative, but - at times - confusing in the orders of sections within a chapter. The examples are sometimes half a chapter ahead or behind itself, which made it difficult to flip back and forth through that and the comprehension questions. Other than that, easy to follow.
Sara
Ultra-Readable. An excellent, high-quality textbook. One of the best I've read. It has as many beautiful, glossy images as you could wish for in an art history book and the writing is very enjoyable.
Ainsley Thrasher
This of course was a book for school, but I always find myself going back to it to remind myself of things because it has a lot of good works and artists in it.
Morgan Oats
UNT
Honors Art Appreciation
Professor: Tracy Bays-Boothe
Fall 2012
Joseph Armstrong
Joseph Armstrong is currently reading it
Jan 21, 2015
Tamara
Tamara marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Belinda Martinez
Belinda Martinez marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Anna Hernandez
Anna Hernandez marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
JS
JS marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Calvin Lawson iii
Calvin Lawson iii marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
Arumfaerie
Arumfaerie marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Doctor Who Character Encyclopedia
  • Natural History: The Ultimate Visual Guide to Everything on Earth
  • The World of Chas Addams
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Wildflowers: Eastern Region (National Audubon Society Field Guide)
  • The Goblins of Labyrinth
  • Time Flies
  • The Marvel Comics Encyclopedia: A Complete Guide to the Characters of the Marvel Universe
  • The Emerald Tablets of Thoth-The-Atlantean
  • Nation of Nations
  • In Search of the Indo-Europeans
  • Art History: A Very Short Introduction
  • The Writer's Guide to Everyday Life in Regency and Victorian England
  • Tim Burton's Nightmare Before Christmas: The Film, the Art, the Vision
  • Good Things (The Best of Martha Stewart Living)
  • Paula Deen's My First Cookbook
  • Shinsengumi: The Shogun's Last Samurai Corps
  • Origins Reconsidered: In Search of What Makes Us Human
  • Everyday Life in the 1800s: A Guide for Writers, Students & Historians
Art History Art History, Volume I (w/CD-ROM) Art History, Volume II [with CD-ROM] Medieval Art Art History: A View of the West, Volume 1