Fourth Day (Charlie Fox Thriller, #8)

Fourth Day (Charlie Fox #8)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  374 ratings  ·  60 reviews
The cult calling itself Fourth Day is well funded and highly jealous of its privacy. Five years ago, Thomas Witney went in to try to get the evidence that the cult's charismatic leader was responsible for the death of Witney's son, Liam. Witney never came out.

Now, Charlie Fox and her partner, Sean Meyer, have been assigned to get Witney out, willing or not. But planning an...more
Hardcover, UK, 448 pages
Published May 17th 2010 by Allison & Busby (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Fourth Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fourth Day

Linda C
I HATED this book. I am surprised to see that it has an average between 3-4 stars. The only reason that I didn't give it one star was that I did finish it, albeit it reluctantly. This was my first Charlie Fox book and most likely the last. Truly NOT impressed. I understand that it is a series, but since it was a thriller, I thought erroneously that each book would be a contained story in itself. Half of the book seemed to be references to prior events, with no more than cryptic references, which...more
Harry
Being interested in reading series mystery/detectives I ran across Zoe Sharp during my aimless wandering through book worlds online. I admit, reading the reviews I was skeptical as to whether or not I'd like this book for the simple reason that I'm interested in a particular type of hero (principled but tempted by physical violence, alone in the world by choice but always tempted to abandon this lifestyle). Female main characters usually do not fit this model if my previous reads are any indicat...more
Hobart
This isn't your typical Charlie Fox novel, and in this case, that's a good thing (I can easily see where an atypical Fox novel would disturb my quiet).

Are there twists? Yup. Action? Yup. Bad guys in need of taking down? Yup. As you'd expect. A few less bullets than you'd expect.

But there was more to this. Sure, Sharp develops her characters further and further each novel--but here, they grew by leaps and bounds, a few books' worth. And it didn't seem forced or obligatory, it was wholly organic...more
Megan
I didn't realize this was the 4th of a series when I started it, and that might have helped understand the character better. The heroine's past is very important to her current mindset. The books ends on an emotional low note, which is unusual, and clearly meant to set up a fifth book. Overall, a good, reasonably intelligent action novel. I had expected more of a mystery than an action book, but that's okay.
Best Crime Books
Please note, this is the 8th in a series of books featuring Charlie Fox. For those wishing to read the series in order, maybe don’t read this review. It’s incredibly difficult to review this without inevitable plot spoilers due to the length of time the series has been going.

I am having a somewhat marathon session with this series and am now onto the 8th book in the Charlie Fox series with this latest one. When I started reading I was a little bit confused. The ending of the last book left me w...more
Jo
This is the 8th in the Charlie Fox and it really helps to have read the previous books to understand the characters and the relationships between them. In this one, Charlie and Sean are tasked to retrieve a man who has been living with a cult in the California desert for 5 years, but things go wrong because secrets have been kept from them and Charlie has to go into the cult herself to prevent the sinister Epps from raiding it. There are lots of twists and lots of action as usual.
I found myself...more
Gloria Feit
Fourth Day is the name of a once subversive organization formed in the 1960's and known for its cult-like origins, but claiming to work wonders especially with vulnerable adolescents [and others] with delinquency and drug addiction problems. It has more recently been headed by one Randall Bane, its new and charismatic leader suspected of having more sinister ambitions.

This newest in the series brings back Charlotte ("Charlie") Fox and her lover, Sean Meyer, a junior partner in Armstrong-Meyer, a...more
Alicia
I will admit, this isn't normally the sort of book I read but I'm glad I took a chance and did.

Things started out a bit slow after the first, prologue chapter and it was somewhat difficult for me to get into the story. In contrast, the latter half of the book really picked up and was profoundly more fast paced and interesting. I fully approve of that play as that, in my mind, is truly fitting of a suspense novel along with the twists and turns this book presented.

I enjoyed following the main cha...more
Michelle
This British exmilitary, gang rape victim/survivor is now a specialist with a private company in bodyguarding/cult-rescuing/protection/killing and she goes in undercover with her boyfriend to recover a man who's been in a cult in the desert for five years. After turning him the man over to the company that ordered the rescue, the guy is killed so she goes in undercover to see what the story is all about and of course, gets sucked in by the cult leader.

Many, many aspects are not fully fleshed ou...more
Smoochys
This book was fabulous, and the best in the series yet. Lee Child has been a great cheerleader for Sharp - he wasn't lying in his reviews. I don't view Charlie Fox as the female Reacher. Maybe that's what the character would be 20 years, from now, but I don't think so. They are both excellent writers with intriguing and almost fearless leads.

Fourth Day picks up a few months after Third Strike. If you haven't read any other books in the series you will still love the book, but you will appreciate...more
Anne
Sometimes you read an author for the character's story, sometimes you read one for the action or plot, but for a sheer pulse-pounding adrenaline rush that combines all of these elements you can't beat this eighth outing in the Charlie Fox series. Highly recommended.
Lectus
Obviously, this is book like, eight? In the series. I was totally lost and couldn't connect. Maybe I should read the first book first and eventually get to this one. It was definitely interesting, it's just that there wasn't enough premise for me to click with the book. Duh! It's book #8!!!
Steve Emecz
This series is excellent, and I am still giving this one four stars but I felt that in this one Sharp is trying a little too hard to make the main character Charlie Fox too 'damaged', a little too flawed. There's a lot of self-reflection creeping in and while I'd get it if it added more to the storyline, but I found myself a little distracted by it. In the first three books Charlie is built up as a tough character and it feels like this whole book was designed to take that back to pieces.

Neverth...more
Carol Seaman
I loved this book & all of the Charlie Fox series, they are well written & it's good to have a female who kicks ass for a change
Paullei Mumme
I felt a struggle in this book. Not only a struggle for the main character, Charlie Fox, but perhaps also a struggle for the author as her heroine must make changes in order for the past story lines impact to feel true and propel our beloved Charlie Fox forward. I expected more to be pulled from Charlie's tragedy and had hoped for more from Charlie in regards to her honesty to Sean; however, I was disappointed on both accounts. Another let down in the book is the lack of development of supportin...more
Al

The cult calling itself Fourth Day is well-funded and fiercely guards its privacy. Five years ago Thomas Witney went in to try and get evidence that the cult's charismatic leader, Randall Bane, was responsible for the death of Witney's son. Witney never came out.

Now, ex-Special Forces soldier turned bodyguard, Charlie Fox, agrees to go undercover into Fourth Day's California stronghold. A fast covert op – no real danger for someone with her mindset and training. But Charlie is not prepared for

User3162
I was going to give this 4 stars, but I stayed up late finishing it so...
Joyce
Jan 07, 2014 Joyce added it
If you haven't read any of the Charlie Fox series by Zoe Sharp I suggest you find them. Zoe refers to her writing as mystery-thrillers. Charlie Fox, the main character in every book, is a bodyguard with a past she has been unable to face. In this book, Fourth Day, Charlie faces some of her unpleasant past and realizes she could have a future with Sean if only he will...oops I would prefer not to give away the story. I will only say Zoe has once again written a hold-my-interest-give-me-more-book....more
M.R.
Not only do I love this character by now, but Charlie has a slightly different take on most things than a typical detective would. Because personal protection comes first, her de facto detecting takes place as a subsidiary to taking care of clients. It's a different spin on the mystery genre, and a welcome one. She's brains as well as muscle. Moreover, the story here is a slightly different spin than other cult-rescue scenarios I've read and more interesting for that reason. Novelist Sharp is at...more
Gelina
Picked this up without knowing that this is the 8th book of as series. With that said, I think i was really easy to understand, not like other series where you have to start from the very beginning. Also, the book is really packed with ACTION! I mean, yes it's completely knew to me since I don't really read action novels, but I have to say that it did keep me up for a two nights :)

The only down side is, there are terms that I really did not get. military terms..

All in all it was a good read :)
Jane
While dealing with her personal life, Charlie volunteers. Oh no,nothing good can come from volunteering in her profession,can it? But inexplicably she needs to escape from her friends,her nearest and dearest and herself in this book. Action and intrigue abound,yet again. The pace keeps you running the whole way and the twist in this one are deadly and the consequences ripple forward into the future. Enticed enough? You should be! Another cracker in the thrilling series.
Avonna
Charlie once again has me reading way past my bedtime! So much of this story was about trust. The main plot centers around a supposed cult and its charismatic leader, but if you read the series, you are also waiting for some life changing answers from the previous book. Those answers are given and the book ends with another which has me so grateful to be behind in these books so that I can buy the next right away.
Heather
I love this series. Charlie Fox is such a complex character, and I cheer for her every step of the way, even when she's going against what I want her to do! In this 8th book in the series, Charlie comes up against Fourth Day, a cult that is brainwashing people. It's always more complex than this, though. Will Sean and Charlie ever overcome their own demons in their battle to protect others?
Skip
Charlie Fox and Sean Meyer are part of a team used to extract someone from an alleged cult called Fourth Day although things go awry when the client appears to be the U.S. government and the "rescued" member is kidnapped and tortured to death. Against everyone's better judgment, Charlie does undercover to get to the truth -- once again putting herself directly in harm's way.
Jeri
Take a deep breath before you start reading this book, cuz you won't for a long time! What is really going on at Fourth Day? Is it a wacko violent religious cult? Is the leader evil or good? What is Charlie doing there? And what is going on with her and Sean? Well, I'm not tellin'. All I can say is write faster, Zoe! This cliff hanger at the end is excruciating!
John Hancock
I always enjoy reading works by this author. Do yourself a favor and start reading everything she's written. Trust me on this.
The theme of this story is "How do we know when we've been brainwashed or if we've just been persuaded?" I won't tell you anymore of the plot, but I think this is one of the more intense and cerebral of the Charlie Fox crime thrillers.
Brenda
I liked this book. It was fun to read a book with a kick butt tough girl hero. I realized after I bought the book that it is part of a much larger series of books. The book is enjoyable by itself, but it definitely brought in elements of past stories and left a "cliffhanger" for the next book. I might go back and read this series in order someday.
Melissa
I love this series. This author has created a dynamic, strong female character. Charlie Fox is the stuff of action hero's. Having said that, this was my least favorite in the series. I like that Charlie had to examine the choices she made and actions she did. The action part was a little slow. But still top of the line writing.
Ruth
Jul 11, 2011 Ruth rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: crime
I've not read anything by this author though I had heard, read good things. Fourth Day is part of series and all the characters have back stories that I think might have helped me with this story some. I never got interested in the story or characters much. Probably my fault and not the authors. May try another some day.
Gill
Charlie Fox is one of my favourite modern literary heroines and gets an extra star for being so, but here she just didn't feel like Charlie to me. The vulnerable figure who infiltrates a cult but starts going native was a million miles away and the whole time I wanted to tell her to get over it and start kicking butt.
  • Soul Patch (Moe Prager, #4)
  • House Justice (Joe DeMarco, #5)
  • Dove Season
  • Die a Stranger (Alex McKnight, #9)
  • Judgement and Wrath (Joe Hunter, #2)
  • I Hear the Sirens in the Street
  • At the City's Edge
  • Edge of Black (Dr. Samantha Owens #2)
  • Merciless (Mercy Gunderson Mystery #3)
  • The Lost Ones (Quinn Colson, #2)
  • Getaway
  • Mandarin Plaid
  • The Red Dahlia (Anna Travis #2)
  • Desert Wives (A Lena Jones Mystery #2)
Zoë Sharp spent most of her formative years living aboard a catamaran on the northwest coast of England. She opted out of mainstream education at the age of twelve and wrote her first novel at fifteen. She became a freelance photojournalist in 1988 and started writing her Charlie Fox crime thriller series after receiving death-threats in the course of her work.
More about Zoë Sharp...
Killer Instinct (Charlie Fox Thriller, #1) First Drop (Charlie Fox Thriller, #4) Second Shot (Charlie Fox Thriller, #6) Third Strike (Charlie Fox Thriller #7) Riot Act (Charlie Fox Thriller, #2)