Start by marking “Fourth Day (Charlie Fox Thriller, #8)” as Want to Read:
Fourth Day (Charlie Fox Thriller, #8)

Fourth Day (Charlie Fox #8)

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  507 Ratings  ·  67 Reviews
The cult calling itself Fourth Day is well funded and highly jealous of its privacy. Five years ago, Thomas Witney went in to try to get the evidence that the cult's charismatic leader was responsible for the death of Witney's son, Liam. Witney never came out.

Now, Charlie Fox and her partner, Sean Meyer, have been assigned to get Witney out, willing or not. But planning an
Hardcover, UK, 448 pages
Published May 17th 2010 by Allison & Busby (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Fourth Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fourth Day

Linda C
Jan 18, 2016 Linda C rated it it was ok
Shelves: hated, read-2011
I HATED this book. I am surprised to see that it has an average between 3-4 stars. The only reason that I didn't give it one star was that I did finish it, albeit it reluctantly. This was my first Charlie Fox book and most likely the last. Truly NOT impressed. I understand that it is a series, but since it was a thriller, I thought erroneously that each book would be a contained story in itself. Half of the book seemed to be references to prior events, with no more than cryptic references, which ...more
Harry
Aug 04, 2012 Harry rated it really liked it
Being interested in reading series mystery/detectives I ran across Zoe Sharp during my aimless wandering through book worlds online. I admit, reading the reviews I was skeptical as to whether or not I'd like this book for the simple reason that I'm interested in a particular type of hero (principled but tempted by physical violence, alone in the world by choice but always tempted to abandon this lifestyle). Female main characters usually do not fit this model if my previous reads are any indicat ...more
Hobart
Mar 15, 2011 Hobart rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-reads
This isn't your typical Charlie Fox novel, and in this case, that's a good thing (I can easily see where an atypical Fox novel would disturb my quiet).

Are there twists? Yup. Action? Yup. Bad guys in need of taking down? Yup. As you'd expect. A few less bullets than you'd expect.

But there was more to this. Sure, Sharp develops her characters further and further each novel--but here, they grew by leaps and bounds, a few books' worth. And it didn't seem forced or obligatory, it was wholly organic
Ed
May 03, 2015 Ed rated it really liked it
#8 in the Charlotte “Charlie” Fox series. Finalist 2011 Barry Award for Best British Crime Novel. Charlie infiltrates a cult but she turns out to be more surprised than anyone. Not only were they expecting her, but they knew all about her; and, it may not even be a cult. Nothing is as it seems - as Charlie delves further she encounters layer upon layer of deception and betrayal.

Charlotte “Charlie” Fox series - The cult calling itself Fourth Day is well funded and highly jealous of its privacy. F
Megan
Jul 24, 2011 Megan rated it liked it
I didn't realize this was the 4th of a series when I started it, and that might have helped understand the character better. The heroine's past is very important to her current mindset. The books ends on an emotional low note, which is unusual, and clearly meant to set up a fifth book. Overall, a good, reasonably intelligent action novel. I had expected more of a mystery than an action book, but that's okay.
Best Crime Books & More
Feb 18, 2014 Best Crime Books & More rated it it was amazing
Please note, this is the 8th in a series of books featuring Charlie Fox. For those wishing to read the series in order, maybe don’t read this review. It’s incredibly difficult to review this without inevitable plot spoilers due to the length of time the series has been going.

I am having a somewhat marathon session with this series and am now onto the 8th book in the Charlie Fox series with this latest one. When I started reading I was a little bit confused. The ending of the last book left me w
The Cats Mother
This is the 8th in the Charlie Fox and it really helps to have read the previous books to understand the characters and the relationships between them. In this one, Charlie and Sean are tasked to retrieve a man who has been living with a cult in the California desert for 5 years, but things go wrong because secrets have been kept from them and Charlie has to go into the cult herself to prevent the sinister Epps from raiding it. There are lots of twists and lots of action as usual.
I found myself
Gloria Feit
Mar 01, 2012 Gloria Feit rated it it was amazing
Fourth Day is the name of a once subversive organization formed in the 1960's and known for its cult-like origins, but claiming to work wonders especially with vulnerable adolescents [and others] with delinquency and drug addiction problems. It has more recently been headed by one Randall Bane, its new and charismatic leader suspected of having more sinister ambitions.

This newest in the series brings back Charlotte ("Charlie") Fox and her lover, Sean Meyer, a junior partner in Armstrong-Meyer, a
Alicia
Apr 02, 2013 Alicia rated it liked it
I will admit, this isn't normally the sort of book I read but I'm glad I took a chance and did.

Things started out a bit slow after the first, prologue chapter and it was somewhat difficult for me to get into the story. In contrast, the latter half of the book really picked up and was profoundly more fast paced and interesting. I fully approve of that play as that, in my mind, is truly fitting of a suspense novel along with the twists and turns this book presented.

I enjoyed following the main cha
Michelle
Sep 12, 2011 Michelle rated it did not like it
This British exmilitary, gang rape victim/survivor is now a specialist with a private company in bodyguarding/cult-rescuing/protection/killing and she goes in undercover with her boyfriend to recover a man who's been in a cult in the desert for five years. After turning him the man over to the company that ordered the rescue, the guy is killed so she goes in undercover to see what the story is all about and of course, gets sucked in by the cult leader.

Many, many aspects are not fully fleshed ou
Smoochys
Sep 17, 2011 Smoochys rated it it was amazing
This book was fabulous, and the best in the series yet. Lee Child has been a great cheerleader for Sharp - he wasn't lying in his reviews. I don't view Charlie Fox as the female Reacher. Maybe that's what the character would be 20 years, from now, but I don't think so. They are both excellent writers with intriguing and almost fearless leads.

Fourth Day picks up a few months after Third Strike. If you haven't read any other books in the series you will still love the book, but you will appreciate
Anne
Apr 07, 2014 Anne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller
Sometimes you read an author for the character's story, sometimes you read one for the action or plot, but for a sheer pulse-pounding adrenaline rush that combines all of these elements you can't beat this eighth outing in the Charlie Fox series. Highly recommended.
Richard L
Apr 08, 2016 Richard L rated it it was amazing
This is another great Charlie Fox book. I highly recommend it to mystery/thriller lovers. Charlie is one of the toughest protagonists in the genre. We also find out more about her past in this volume. The plot twists and turns are well done.
Amy
Dec 13, 2014 Amy rated it did not like it
Probably not this book specifically as much as it happened to be the book when I got sick of Charlie Fox's neuroses. She's a wonderful character in many ways but it is too repetitive to watch her be hamstrung in her personal relationships.
Lectus
Jul 17, 2014 Lectus rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned
Obviously, this is book like, eight? In the series. I was totally lost and couldn't connect. Maybe I should read the first book first and eventually get to this one. It was definitely interesting, it's just that there wasn't enough premise for me to click with the book. Duh! It's book #8!!!
Steve Emecz
Apr 25, 2011 Steve Emecz rated it really liked it
This series is excellent, and I am still giving this one four stars but I felt that in this one Sharp is trying a little too hard to make the main character Charlie Fox too 'damaged', a little too flawed. There's a lot of self-reflection creeping in and while I'd get it if it added more to the storyline, but I found myself a little distracted by it. In the first three books Charlie is built up as a tough character and it feels like this whole book was designed to take that back to pieces.

Neverth
Carol Seaman
Jul 04, 2014 Carol Seaman rated it really liked it
I loved this book & all of the Charlie Fox series, they are well written & it's good to have a female who kicks ass for a change
Gary Van Cott
Not a setting that I cared for (a cult that wasn't a cult). I am sorry I am close to the end of this series.
Paullei Mumme
Oct 07, 2013 Paullei Mumme rated it really liked it
I felt a struggle in this book. Not only a struggle for the main character, Charlie Fox, but perhaps also a struggle for the author as her heroine must make changes in order for the past story lines impact to feel true and propel our beloved Charlie Fox forward. I expected more to be pulled from Charlie's tragedy and had hoped for more from Charlie in regards to her honesty to Sean; however, I was disappointed on both accounts. Another let down in the book is the lack of development of supportin ...more
Al

The cult calling itself Fourth Day is well-funded and fiercely guards its privacy. Five years ago Thomas Witney went in to try and get evidence that the cult's charismatic leader, Randall Bane, was responsible for the death of Witney's son. Witney never came out.

Now, ex-Special Forces soldier turned bodyguard, Charlie Fox, agrees to go undercover into Fourth Day's California stronghold. A fast covert op – no real danger for someone with her mindset and training. But Charlie is not prepared for

Mel Junghans
Feb 13, 2016 Mel Junghans rated it liked it
Was expecting a page turner. Finished it but kept picking it up and putting it down.
Dave
Apr 13, 2014 Dave rated it it was amazing
I was going to give this 4 stars, but I stayed up late finishing it so...
Joyce
Jan 07, 2014 Joyce added it
If you haven't read any of the Charlie Fox series by Zoe Sharp I suggest you find them. Zoe refers to her writing as mystery-thrillers. Charlie Fox, the main character in every book, is a bodyguard with a past she has been unable to face. In this book, Fourth Day, Charlie faces some of her unpleasant past and realizes she could have a future with Sean if only he will...oops I would prefer not to give away the story. I will only say Zoe has once again written a hold-my-interest-give-me-more-book. ...more
M.R.
Sep 13, 2013 M.R. rated it it was amazing
Not only do I love this character by now, but Charlie has a slightly different take on most things than a typical detective would. Because personal protection comes first, her de facto detecting takes place as a subsidiary to taking care of clients. It's a different spin on the mystery genre, and a welcome one. She's brains as well as muscle. Moreover, the story here is a slightly different spin than other cult-rescue scenarios I've read and more interesting for that reason. Novelist Sharp is at ...more
Terry
May 03, 2015 Terry rated it really liked it
not my genre, but i enjoyed it.
Gelina
Apr 26, 2012 Gelina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
Picked this up without knowing that this is the 8th book of as series. With that said, I think i was really easy to understand, not like other series where you have to start from the very beginning. Also, the book is really packed with ACTION! I mean, yes it's completely knew to me since I don't really read action novels, but I have to say that it did keep me up for a two nights :)

The only down side is, there are terms that I really did not get. military terms..

All in all it was a good read :)
Jane
Oct 18, 2012 Jane rated it it was amazing
While dealing with her personal life, Charlie volunteers. Oh no,nothing good can come from volunteering in her profession,can it? But inexplicably she needs to escape from her friends,her nearest and dearest and herself in this book. Action and intrigue abound,yet again. The pace keeps you running the whole way and the twist in this one are deadly and the consequences ripple forward into the future. Enticed enough? You should be! Another cracker in the thrilling series.
Avonna
Mar 18, 2013 Avonna rated it it was amazing
Charlie once again has me reading way past my bedtime! So much of this story was about trust. The main plot centers around a supposed cult and its charismatic leader, but if you read the series, you are also waiting for some life changing answers from the previous book. Those answers are given and the book ends with another which has me so grateful to be behind in these books so that I can buy the next right away.
Lekoenigs
Jul 20, 2015 Lekoenigs rated it really liked it
Can't believe only one more in this series! Love the heroine, even if the endings are not always a surprise.
Heather
Aug 25, 2014 Heather rated it it was amazing
I love this series. Charlie Fox is such a complex character, and I cheer for her every step of the way, even when she's going against what I want her to do! In this 8th book in the series, Charlie comes up against Fourth Day, a cult that is brainwashing people. It's always more complex than this, though. Will Sean and Charlie ever overcome their own demons in their battle to protect others?
Goodreads Librari...: issue with ISBN? 5 15 Nov 04, 2015 02:41PM
  • Hurt Machine (Moe Prager, #7)
  • Blood Lines (Sarah Armstrong, #2)
  • The Big O
  • House Justice (Joe DeMarco, #5)
  • On the Line (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith, #10)
  • Death in High Places
  • The Damage Done
  • Toros & Torsos
  • On the Ropes (The Duffy Dombrowski Mysteries, #1)
  • Merciless (Mercy Gunderson Mystery #3)
  • A.K.A. Jane (Jane Nichols, #1)
  • Swift Edge (A Charlie Swift Mystery #2)
  • Good Day in Hell
  • Shadow Season
  • Did Not Finish (Aidy Westlake, #1)
  • Truth Lies Bleeding
  • One Perfect Shot (Bill Gastner Mystery, #.05)
  • Misery Bay (Alex McKnight, #8)
Zoë Sharp spent most of her formative years living aboard a catamaran on the northwest coast of England. She opted out of mainstream education at the age of twelve and wrote her first novel at fifteen. She became a freelance photojournalist in 1988 and started writing her Charlie Fox crime thriller series after receiving death-threats in the course of her work.
More about Zoë Sharp...

Charlie Fox (10 books)
  • Killer Instinct (Charlie Fox Thriller, #1)
  • Riot Act (Charlie Fox Thriller, #2)
  • Hard Knocks (Charlie Fox Thriller #3)
  • First Drop (Charlie Fox Thriller, #4)
  • Road Kill (Charlie Fox Thriller #5)
  • Second Shot (Charlie Fox Thriller, #6)
  • Third Strike (Charlie Fox Thriller #7)
  • Fifth Victim (Charlie Fox Thriller, #9)
  • Die Easy (Charlie Fox Thriller, #10)