Superman: The Man of Steel

Superman: The Man of Steel (Superman: The Man of Steel #1)

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  3,378 ratings  ·  35 reviews
Magnificently retells and reinvents the origin and early adventures of the Man of Steel.
Published November 12th 1987 by Ballantine Books (first published December 1986)

Paul Dinger
This is really one of Byrne's best works as a writer and artist. As a writer, he creates anew a Superman for our age who believes in morality and wonders what he can do. He even tries without the costume and sees a real reason why he should use it. Bryne wisely avoids the mistake of many writers and makes Krypton as ambigeous as possible. WE know more about his origen that Superman does. Bryne's run on Superman was about his confronting this myth and finding what works, you can see this on a sma...more
John Yelverton
Despite the fact that this book completely hit the reset button on Superman's origin story, it was so well done that there is very little if any room for complaint.
Sam Quixote
John Byrne's classic 1986 reboot of the character is a surprisingly good read. I was expecting a full-on cheese-fest (and to an extent that is what I got) but it's also enjoyable and fun. A comic book that's aged like fine wine! Full review here!
Gavin
I should have read this before I started reading the more modern Superman Origin stories...this is the daddy of those. John Byrne redid Superman for the 80s, a few years before I started getting into comics. The look of Superman and Clark Kent here is pure what I grew up with. There's some good stuff, and some other stuff that makes it apparent this book is 27 years old.
This Superman has some seriously sanctimonious moments where he tries to put Batman in jail, then figures out Batman's Gotham i...more
Todd Nemet
My son picked this out for me at the library. He has picked up my habit of recommending books to everyone, so now I see how it might be viewed as irritating rather than a great gift bestowed by my superior, benevolent intelligence. But it is very cute when he hands a book to me and says, "Here, Dad. I got this one for you." So we went out to dinner and read our new library books. Then we went to a cafe to finish them.

Apparently this is a mid-80s reboot of Superman after getting a little stuck in...more
Derrick
This book to me is the iconic Superman story. Byrne's artwork has never looked better, and some of his Superman splash pages are as good as I ever ever seen Supes drawn. Lex and Lois are pitch-perfect, too. This run is the true beginning of the Lois that I adore, the modern Lois Lane who is one of my favorite characters in all of comics.

Also, I thought the trades did a wonderful job of recoloring the issues.The blue and red absolutely POP.

Note: The other two iconic Superman stories for me are:...more
Daniel Kukwa
With the upcoming (*shudder*) DC Comics everything-and-the-kitchen-sink reboot, it cleanses the palate to look back at John Byrne's relaunch of Superman, post-Crisis on Infinite Earths, back in the misty dawn of history, circa 1985. It's an origin story that strips Superman down to his most successful, basic characteristics...but loses none of his gravitas or back-story elements. It's fabulous stuff, and it breaks my heart to think it's all be chucked into the dustbin. Ahh...for simpler, happier...more
Timothy Stone
A year and a half ago, DC Comics rebooted their line with the Flashpoint mini-series. Though there are frequently smaller “reboots” of certain parts of the continuities at both DC and Marvel Comics, there is rarely a resetting and re-imagining of the content on the order that DC introduced in 2011. In fact, the last such reboot of similar proportions (for DC Comics) was the GIANT crossover event that came to define “crisis crossovers” in the comics industry. That crossover event was Crisis on In...more
Michael
Alexander
When DC chose to revamp it's characters in the 1980s, they went to one of the best writers and artists in the business for their most well known character. John Byrne's retelling of Superman's origin and early years is almost pitch perfect in every regard, grounding the character and refreshing him at the same time. This is the version that existed until the New 52 revamp in 2011 and is the one I find most appealing of all the iterations of this character. Must read for comic book fans.
Alex Firer
It would have been better to read in the 80's till like maybe 2008? But comics, and even views of what would constitute a super man have evolved so much since then.

But what do I know. John Byrne's new reputation as a crazy weird shithead has really colored my perception of this work.
Eric
This was neat. It makes the New 52 look even messier they way Byrne compresses more than twenty years of story into six issues. While I would have liked more time spent with certain moments, there's enough out there to fill in the origin stuff and I can get behind what Byrne is doing with the character.
Travis
John Byrne's restart of the Superman comics was a nice effort to strip the Man of Steel back down to the basics.
He got a lot of what makes Superman work and emphasized his small town roots and general nice guy-ness.

His version of Krypton has a nice sci-fi look and feel to it. I do like that he kept the Kents alive and made them Superman's anchor to the real world.

On the minus side he gave us evil businessman Lex Luthor, which I always found a bit boring and flat. I prefer the mad scientist versi...more
Mitchell Bird
Wendy
Definitely a little cheesy...the panel with Lois pumping iron. So cringeworthy.

Overall, I liked it as I have just seen "Man of Steel" with Henry Cavill, and that story had elements from this story.
D.K. Cherian
This was the reboot of Superman way back in 1986. And it worked. The story arc consisted of 6 singles and featured a variety of first time meets with various characters like luthor, bizarro, Lane etc. It is a lovely rendering of Clark Kent's initial life in Kansas with Ma, Pa and Lana to the donning of his soon to be well recongnised garb and the ioconic S logo. A must read!!
Mike
Nov 18, 2007 Mike rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who wonder how it (comic books) all started
So, I should qualify this some: everyone who reads mainstream comics (i.e. the caps and tights stuff) knows that origins tend to be revamped on a semi-regular basis. Having said that, Byrne does a masterful job of retelling the origin of the Man of Steel. And thus a genre that has taken thousands of dollars from me and many others was born.
Federiken Masters
Si no me equivoco, tengo el equivalente a este tomo en revistas de la misma edición y en los primeros números del coleccionable Superman de Planeta. No puedo ser muy objetivo con este comic porque es de lo primero que leí de chiquito y en parte culpable de mi fanatismo temprano por Superman. Pero que la pasé bien, la pasé bien.
Derek Royal
I hadn't yet read John Byrne's run on Superman, but now that the new Man of Steel film has come out, I thought it time to do so, especially since much of the film is based on Byrne's take. Impressed by the way he was able to take the core of Superman and run with it in a nicely condensed way.
Deshawn Vasquez
As the first Post-Crisis iteration of the character, this origin hits the ground running, leaving enough out for the character to blossom in his run that would follow this mini-series. Some of the best elements from this origin were used in the Man of Steel film.
Rebecca
I have never been much into comic books but I have had an interest in all things Superman for a couple weeks and therefore decided to delve into comics a little bit. For the very little experience I have had with this genre, I liked this collection.
Nicolas
I really liked this. It felt fresh, and, aside from Lois' clothes, it didn't even seem dated. I like how this reboot made Clark Kent more of a real character, rather than just Superman's day job.
Patrick
Most of this is pretty corny. Like how his ma and pa create his suit. A lot of cheesy 80s stuff too. No wonder they needed to reboot this a couple more times.
Ahnaqsh
The art style, while at first strange, grows on you. The story is sometimes silly, but that's not too bad. The book doesn't take itself too seriously, anyway.
Mike
Beautiful to look at. I probably rated it a star higher than the story itself deserves because it led directly to the triangle era that I love so dearly.
Victor Orozco
Wonderful collection of the Superman Universe re-imagined for the late 1980s after the epic ending of the Crisis of Infinite Earths. A-
Hope

Kiddo dove into this the moment I handed it to him - and he's just as eager as I to read the next volume :)
De
The mold for the modern age of Superman stories begins here. I find myself re-reading this about once a year.
Emi Nogueira del burgo
Creía que lo había leído en su momento, pero no, este no es uno de aquellos que leí de peque.
  • Superman and the Legion of Super-Heroes
  • Superman: Peace on Earth
  • The Return of Superman
  • Wonder Woman, Vol. 1: Gods and Mortals
  • Justice League International, Vol. 1
  • Legion of Super-Heroes: The Great Darkness Saga
  • Superman: Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?
  • The Green Lantern/Green Arrow Collection, Vol. 1
  • JLA, Vol. 3: Rock of Ages
  • Superman: Birthright
  • Superman: Secret Identity
  • Green Arrow: The Longbow Hunters
  • Superman/Batman, Vol. 3: Absolute Power
  • The New Teen Titans: The Judas Contract
  • Lex Luthor: Man of Steel
John Lindley Byrne is a British-born Canadian-American author and artist of comic books. Since the mid-1970s, Byrne has worked on nearly every major American superhero.

Byrne's better-known work has been on Marvel Comics' X-Men and Fantastic Four and the 1986 relaunch of DC Comics’ Superman franchise. Coming into the comics profession exclusively as a penciler, Byrne began co-plotting the X-Men com...more
More about John Byrne...
Fantastic Four Visionaries: John Byrne, Vol. 1 Superman & Batman: Generations, An Imaginary Tale (Elseworlds) Superman: The Man of Steel, Vol. 2 Superman (1987-2006) #1 Alpha Flight Classic, Vol. 1