Start by marking “Sable” as Want to Read:
Sable

Sable

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  108 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Tate is overjoyed when a scrawny mutt turns up in the yard one day. She even persuades Mam and Pap to let her keep Sable, named for her dark, silky fur. But before long, the dog begins to cause trouble with the neighbors and Mam and Pap decide the dog must go. But Tate doesn’t give up easily . . . and neither does Sable.
Published January 19th 2010 by Square Fish (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Sable, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sable

Brandi
This is a sweet, touching story about a girl and her dog. One day Tate finds a scrawny mutt on her porch and falls in love. Despite her parents' protests and reservations, they allow Tate to keep Sable, named after her silky dark coat, so long as the dog behaves. But Sable has been a vagrant mutt for too long and continually gets into trouble, despite Tate's best efforts. After her father takes Sable to a far away farm for good, Tate tracks her down on her own and tries to bring her home. But Sa ...more
Cheryl
A nice little love story between a child and a dog. A notch more special because of Hesse's magic talent.
Ginta Harrigan
“Sable” is the story of a girl and a dog. I like stories that involve animals and this is no exception.

The story takes place somewhere in the country. It is at Tate’s (the main character) home (possibly a ranch or a farm) (Tate is the main character in the story) where a scrawny dog appears. The relationship between Tate and the dog, Sable, unfolds in this country setting.

The plot of the story is basically girl finds dog, girl wants to keep dog, girl loses dog, girl gets dog back. Tate the young
Sherry
By a Newbery author (Hesse). Girl finds a stray dog, naming him Sable, and wants to keep him, but her mother is averse to dogs doesn't want to. After a short while, the dog gets to thieving neighbors' food. Pap (dad) takes his daughter and Sable to a doctor's farm, miles away, and gives the dog away to the doctor. The girl misses her dog so much; Sable disappears from the farm. The girl builds strong fence to contain Sable if he returns. Many months later, the Sable finds his way back to the gir ...more
Momo
The perfect book for children, especially girls, who long for a dog. The ending is predictable but this is fine because the story is so heart warming.
A cute story about a girl who finds a dog and wants to keep her. She names the dog Sable and grows to really love her. Unfortunately, the dog misbehaves and Tate's parents decide the dog should find a new home. Tate and her dad bring the dog to Doc Winston's and Tate is devastated. After she gets home she starts building a fence for Sable. Later on in the story, Tate goes to visit Sable, but she has run away from Doc Winston's. Will Tate ever see Sable again? Will she get to feel the love and co ...more
Juli
Some great figurative language.
Kari
this isn't just a story about a girl and a dog. its about caring for something when you already have so little. its about working really hard for something you want so badly. its about never giving up. and its about a girl and her dog and the way a dog can enter your life and change you and those around you. I highly recommend this to third and forth grade readers.
Marianna
A stray dog waners up to the Marshall place and is immediately adopted by Tate. But Mam isn't too fond, especially after Sable starts stealing from the neighbors. A new home must be found and it seems that the ideal one is, but Sable has other ideas. In the end hardwork on the part of Tate and persistence on the part of Sable result in a happy ending.
Munisha
This is a fabulous book!!! My daughter and I both loved reading this book. I originally picked this book since my daughter has been asking me for a dog and I keep on saying, no. This book made me love dogs! The story of a little girl who truly loved her god and found creative ways to get her parent's buy-in. Great read!!!
Anne
This short chapter book is perfect for book discussions. Themes include family relationships, the power do pet ownership and obedience versus pursuit of a child perceived higher good. The evolution of the mother's feelings about Sable lends itself to group discussion and development of a group understanding.
Leah
A stray dog comes across Tate's path. Keeping her isn't easy and she ends up going to Tate's father client who will let Tate visit whenever. When Tate does, though, Sable has gone missing. Ends happily as Sable return's to Tate's house and even Mam shows affection.
Sherri True
Nov 07, 2009 Sherri True rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sherri by: everyone
Made me cry - if you have or love dogs this book will pull at your heartstrings. This is a childrens book but still a good read. Every book Karen Hesse writes is very clever and very different from any other book she has written
Angee O'Connell
What a sweet book! I immediately fell in love with the sensitive young girl who had a compassionate heart for this stray dog. Quick, enjoyable read I will definitely recommend for my younger readers.
Miss Blake
Stunningly yet simply done this slim volume made me cry multiple times. A sweet story about the love between a girl and a dog it should be a must have on all elementary and even middle school book shelves.
Ratforce
Since you mentioned that you like positive main characters you might like this book. This also has the feel-good appeal of Because of Winn Dixie by Kate DiCamillo, an author you like.
Anna
Apr 27, 2012 Anna marked it as to-read
recommended for E310 @ Chase Academy

A simple story, but the emotions ring true. The realistic fiction, straightforward prose, and short length is a good fit for E310.
Jessica
I read this cute book over my lunch break today. It's nice sometimes to pick up a kids' book and fly through it knowing in the end that everyone will live happily ever after.
whalesister
Even though written for younger readers, it was nice. I didn't love it, but I liked it--it dealt with an emotional subject in a simple and nicely-understated way.
JJJAMESTAH
Sable was a sad book however it was pretty good book because i never really read sad book and it is a short book only 81 pages long.
Jamie Leeper
The was a great short story to read! I fell in love with the dog Sable!
Petra
looks like the one I read....ok book, nothing special...its good.
Kim
Jan 08, 2012 Kim marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: age-children
Recommended by Chinaberry, Holiday 2011. For 5-9 years.
Chase.curriculum
Aug 01, 2012 Chase.curriculum marked it as to-read
Shelves: el-310
Anna: "recommended for E310. see review "
Cws
May 21, 2009 Cws added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jear
JEAR3-Hes
Aubrie
Aubrie marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Karen Hesse is an American author of children's literature and literature for young adults, often with historical settings. Her novel Out of the Dust was the winner of the 1998 Newbery Medal and the Scott O'Dell Award for Historical Fiction. In 2002, Hesse was a recipient of the MacArthur Fellowship.

For more information, please see http://us.macmillan.com/author/karenh...
More about Karen Hesse...
Out of the Dust Letters from Rifka The Music of Dolphins Witness A Light in the Storm: The Civil War Diary of Amelia Martin, Fenwick Island, Delaware, 1861 (Dear America)