The Orchid Murders

The Orchid Murders

3.4 of 5 stars 3.40  ·  rating details  ·  40 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Anderson Williams is a Literature Professor at NYU and he has the perfect life—loving and understanding father, wonderful friends, great students. Then suddenly all that is turned upside-down when his father gets murdered and a sexy but annoying cop, Sam Morgan, waltzes into his life.

Sam Morgan is after a murderer, plain and simple—not love, not Anderson’s tantrum. But as...more
Published January 2009 by Estasy Books

Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions
I am going to review as I go, it will be the only way I can finish it…

Review up to 34%
The writing is awful. No breaks between scenes, it will switch to a new scene during the same paragraph. It will change POV in the same sentence. That is confusing enough but the punctuation and grammar is elementary level. It will forget to put quotation marks or put quotation marks on internal monologue. Words are left out or often the wrong word (like uses That when it means Than)

The name dropping in chapt...more
ElaineY
I found this hard to rate as it changed from good in parts to 'just okay' then bad in others. While I fitted easily into Sam's character, I had a harder time with Anderson. He felt very much like a girl to me with his reactions and the way he spoke.

I expected this story to be a little more complex but it turned out very straightforward without any suspense even though there were several opportunities to insert those moments. Even the Epilogue was unecessary to me as it read like a continuation o...more
Kiki
This doesn't succeed very well either as a romance or a mystery.
Elianara

This one is hard to rate.

The basic story is quite good and interesting, but the writing was only ok. I could tell that the book was written by two people, because the quality of the writing went up and down.

There were paragraphs where the scene changes in the middle of it. The POV had the same problem, sudden changes and you felt a bit lost.

A good story that needs more and better editing and flow.

Catherinen
I wish I could remember where I saw this book recommended, so I could be sure not to follow any more recommendations from that site. It was so poorly written, with extremely stilted and cliched language, that I couldn't force myself past the second chapter.
C.Line
C.Line added it
Mar 28, 2014
Joanne
Joanne marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2014
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2014
Evelyn
Evelyn marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2013
Jessi
Jessi added it
Sep 24, 2013
Mercedes Hightower
Mercedes Hightower marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2013
Heather  Skye
Heather Skye marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2013
Venecia
Venecia marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2013
Amanda
Amanda added it
Jun 07, 2013
Helle
Helle marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2013
Beck
Beck added it
Dec 21, 2012
Len
Len added it
Dec 29, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »
John Simpson, a Vietnam-era Veteran, has been a uniformed Police Officer of the Year, a federal agent, a federal magistrate, and an armed bodyguard to royalty and a senior government executive. He earned awards from the Vice President of the United States and the Secretary of the Treasury. John has written articles for various gay and straight magazines. John lives with his partner of 35 years and...more
More about John Simpson...
Condor One (Condor, #1) Murder Most Gay (Murder Most Gay, #1) Talons of the Condor (Condor, #2) Condor and Falcon (Condor, #3) Task Force (Murder Most Gay, #2)