Start by marking “Mercier and Camier” as Want to Read:
Mercier and Camier

Mercier and Camier

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  708 ratings  ·  42 reviews
One of the most accessible examples of Samuel Beckett’s dark humor, Mercier and Camier is the hilarious chronicle of its two heroes’ epic journey. While their travels are fraught with complications and intrigue, Mercier and Camier at least “did not remove from home, they had that good fortune.”
Published September 28th 1975 by Grove/Atlantic (first published 1946)

To ask other readers questions about Mercier and Camier, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mercier and Camier

I’ve never known a review to have had so many false starts.
I finished Mercier et Camier a month ago and was full of ideas for the review, some of which I scribbled in the back of the book. Then I went on a trip and the book was left behind along with the ideas. I set about writing the review again when I got back two weeks later but the ideas I had scribbled in the book no longer made sense so I gave up and wrote a review of a book I’d read in the meantime instead. A couple of days later, I beg
K.D. Absolutely
Jan 28, 2014 K.D. Absolutely rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to K.D. by: 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die (2006)
Let's see. When I write reviews of the books that I've read but did not fully understand, I go to Google and read whatever reviews, articles or blogs that are available on line. I did not understand probably everything about this book. I do not know what it is trying to say unlike after I read the first two Beckett that I've read so far: Murphy (5 stars) and Watt (4 stars). Even prior to looking up those two books, I already knew what the plot was all about.

So let me write two reviews: one witho
Jul 19, 2009 Buck rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: slackers; those who find Waiting for Godot too maudlin.

A living room. Conventional bachelor-pad squalor. Two listless figures are sprawled on the leather couch, a bag of Cool Ranch Doritos lying open between them. End of exposition.

Wanna play Wii? asked Camier.

Mercier brightened momentarily before relapsing into his accustomed hebetude.

I lack, he said, the vigour.

Come, come, said Camier. Why this pose of senescence? You’re a young man yet.

A gross libel, said Mercier. I was never young. I fell wizened and arthritic from my mater’s dusty womb.

On a su
A gem from the master of metaphysical and absurd-ism lit, this short and delightful novel was written by Beckett when he was just cutting his teeth on the style that would become his hallmark. I wonder how many times Stoppard read this before writing Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead. Funny, brutal and original throughout.

I picked this up at Powell's in Portland over the weekend. For my Goodreads friends that haven't heard of this greatest of bookstores, it is a beacon of light in a world of
Jeff Jackson
Nov 18, 2012 Jeff Jackson rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Flann O'Brien
Call it Beckett's version of "Bouvard and Pecuchet" with choreography by Buster Keaton - philosophical slapstick spiced up with some orgies and a brutal murder. This series of set pieces is somewhat slight by design, but the writing is fast paced, gorgeously wrought, and often laugh out loud funny. It's Mr. B having a lark - even dropping in guest appearances from Watt and Murphy - which is half the fun in itself.
Mahdi Bigdeli
راجع به زندگی چه می توان گفت که قبلا نگفته باشند؟ خیلی چیزها! برای مثال : چقدر زندگی دنبال این است که ماتحتش درد بگیرد!
Max Nemtsov
Один из самых смешных текстов на всем белом свете. В очередной раз дивишься, до чего же надо было ненавидеть то, что делаешь (я о Е-Баевской), чтобы так его испортить. Вот здесь ( лежит версия Михаила Бутова, в которой, при всех ее несовершенствах и отсутствии вменяемого редактора, жизни все же больше. А эта сага еще и потому универсальна, что легко адаптируется к любым условиям и временам. Попробуйте, например, читать ее как набор статусов фейсбука (включа ...more
مرسیه و کامیه
ساموئل بکت
پویان غفاری
نشر افراز
ساموئل بکت انچنان مشهور است و انقدر در مورد نمایشنامه هایش بحث صورت گرفته که لزومی به تکرار ان مطالب نیست ولی انچه که به طور معمول از بکت نمیدانیم این است که او علاوه بر نمایشنامه نویسی ،رمان نویسی قهارنیز بود و سه گانه (مالوی،مالون می میرد و نام ناپذیر)شاهدی بر این مدعاست .اوج خلاقیت بکت در دهه پنجاه و اوایل دهه بود و پس از ان حجم و کیفیت اثارش به شدت کم شد ولی در اخر دهه میلادی،رمانی مربوط به سالهای دهه او به چاپ رسید که همگان را شگفتزده کرد .رمانی ب
originally written in French as a sort of unconscious warm-up to Godot. Undderrated for its sort of lost status within the Beckett constellation. Satire for its peckish, peevish, acid humor(s).

It's got a little bit of the 'big dumb, rather guileless guy' w/ 'short, fat, sharp, rather amoral guy' dynamic we see so often in narratives across the board- Flaubert's "Bouvard et Pecuchet", "Dumb and Dumber", Kurosawa's "The Hidden Fortress", Laurel and Hardy, Ralph Cramden and Norton, R2D2 and C3PO,
کتاب عجیبی است.
آدم نمیداند چرا دوست دارد تا آخرش بخواندش و تمامش کند.
چیزهایی که کاملا بیاهمّیّت به نظر میرسند امّا از خواندنشان لذّت بردم.
آدم را به یک خلاصی روانی وارد میکند...
در طول خواندنش آدم بارها میگوید من حوصلهام سر خواهد رفت ولی باز هم ادامه میدهد.

در میان یک گفتوگوی خستهکننده دربارهی یک چتر ، راوی حرف جالبی میزند:
"آنها به صحبت کردن از چتر ادامه میدهند ، چقدر مسخره است."
Nate D
Sep 20, 2011 Nate D rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: collapse
Recommended to Nate D by: ruin
Now we must choose, said Mercier.
Between what? said Camier.
Ruin and collapse, said Mercier.
Could we not somehow combine them? said Camier.

Dominated as it is by its despairing comedic dialogues and voyages to nowhere, I took this (seeing the 1970 publication date) to be something of a Godot rehash. On the contrary, its a pre-hash, composed just after Watt in 1946, Beckett's first in French, with the goal of erasing style. Yet the mastery of style seen in Watt was part of what drew me to it. Merci
Rob Lloyd
A hilarious quest to nowhere by the masters of idleness, Mercier and Camier. Full of false starts, retracing steps, changing plans, forgetting, giving up, bickering and cuddles.

I feel this would have made for a great film, a la Withnail & I.

Весьма парадоксальная личность....

"— Велосипед видите? — сказал смотритель.
— Я не вижу ничего, — сказал Камье. — Мерсье, ты видишь велосипед?
— Ваш? — сказал смотритель.
— Что-то, чего мы не видим, — сказал Камье, — существование чего утверждают только ваши слова, как мы можем говорить, наше это или чье-нибудь еще?
— С чего ему быть нашим? — сказал Мерсье. — Разве эти собаки наши? Мы видим их сегодня в первый раз. А вы еще будете настаивать, что велосипед, если предположить, что он существует, наш?
Mercier and Camier by Samuel Beckett
Challenging, but not altogether enjoyable

Isn’t it absurd to try to write a “common sense” note on an absurd piece of theater?
It may make more sense a “nonsense “approach, with random thoughts and rumblings.
There are masturbations, shit, ejaculations and plenty of absurd, inexplicable events in this work.
- Is it drama or comedy?
- There are some black humor scenes and there is a sense of tragic.
- A man loses his dog
And he is played by the greatest actor in the
Jeg har i lang tid haft en stor nysgerrighed omkring Samuel Beckett - ikke mindst fordi Adorno i mange forskellige sammenhænge fremhæver netop ham som én af de store modernistiske forfattere. Jeg har tidligere læst et par noveller af Beckett som jeg fandt udfordrende men også engagerende og interessante. Den samme følelse har jeg efter at have læst Mercier og Camier. Bogen er vanskelig at komme igennem - ikke mindst pga. ordstillingen og den måde Beckett supplerer sætningerne med skæve tilføjels ...more
I was so happy I found this book. It's definately one of my favorites now. You only hear about Beckett being this hard core existentialist. No one talks about his position as a humorist. There are very few authors who can make me laugh out loud. This one made me laugh days later when I remembered certain scenes. I can't read this in public. Molloy is the same way.
Some people say this is very similar to "Waiting for Godot." Similar, perhaps, but not at all the same. Both are about inertia, but this is more a personal, absurdist inertia, whereas "Godot" seems to be a parabolic (like a parable), existential inertia.
Very quick and quirky read.
خیلی عجیب!
خیلی جالب!
خیلی نو و تازه!
و خیلی چیزای دیگه ه.من سه کتاب پس باد همیه چیز را نخواهد برد اثر براتیگان،سفید برفی اثر دونالد بارتلمی واین کتاب رو رو پشت سرهم مطالعه کردم و در انتها به این نتیجه رسیدم که این کتاب از همه اونا تو ساختار پست مدرنسیتی تازه تره با اونکه خیلی قبل تر از اونا تو دهه 40د نوشته شده.شاید به خاطر نابهنگام بودن این اثر باشه که بکت اونو تودوره اوج رمان پست مدرنیستی تو دهه 70 چاپ کرد. یه جورایی نسخه دستنویس اولیه در انتظار گودو به نظر میاد.یه جورایی هم شبیه رمان مورد علاقه
Mercier y Camier son dos tarados que pierden o rompen las cosas que llevan, que toman posición sobre la cuestión de los universales antes de asegurarse un lugar donde dormir esa noche, que no pueden hacer el menor viaje sin volver atrás ante el primer tropizo. Son borradores de Vladimir y Estragón, y también prueban que a Beckett le gustaba escuchar conversacionaes ajenas.
A funny, readable (by Beckettian standards) novel, one that strikes me as an essential companion piece to Waiting For Godot. More and more Beckett's fiction seems to me the bridge between James Joyce and Flann O'Brien.
შუა გზაზე გაწყვეტილი, არაფრისმთქმელი დიალოგები. დაუსრულებელი წინადადებები. ადგილისთვის თავის დაღწევის მცდელობები, რომლებიც ისევ უკან დაბრუნებით მთავრდება. წრეზე ტრიალი.
Dorothy Dunn
His prose and ideas seep into my imagination without a specific invitation, but they are very welcome despite this predicament.
Apr 23, 2011 Sara rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: ca
this book felt at times filthy and yet innocent. still, it often left a bad taste in my mouth, forcing me to take a week to finish its 130 pages. certainly humorous. so many levels; so much happening at once. I should probably read this 10 times. When I read that Beckett claimed that Waiting for Godot meant nothing, I stopped reading it immediately and enraged. that was Florida..
what you lack is a sense of perspective.
Vladimir and Estragon are here in the shadows, experiencing and expelling life, bandying and bawdying about. Beckett is beginning to blow away the "stink of artifice," to get to the core. Yet he can't help himself in some of the beautifully descriptive lines. What's that smell?
Stuart Estell
Enormous fun, verging on slapstick (including a bit of the old slapstick ultraviolence), and very much in the same stylistic territory as Murphy, who himself makes a passing appearance. Lovely to revisit this after nearly 20 years.
If this was not on the 1001 list, I would have stopped reading after page seven. But since it was only 97 pages, I struggled through it. Not my style of writing.
samuel beckett is tha bomb! also, i hear he was schizophrenic. and born in 1906. i LOVE 4EVA writers born in 1906 who use the word cunt with great regularity.
You hinder me more than you help me, said Mercier.
I'm not trying to help you, said Camier, I'm trying to help myself.
Then all is well, said Mercier.
Una maravillosa lectura, la última novela que me faltaba de Beckett, para recibir un amanecer tras una noche de insomnio.
  • Amateurs
  • The Newton Letter  (Revolutions Trilogy, #3)
  • Samuel Beckett
  • L'Abbé C
  • W, or the Memory of Childhood
  • The Trolley
  • The Real Charlotte
Samuel Barclay Beckett was an Irish avant-garde novelist, playwright, theatre director, and poet, who lived in France for most of his adult life. He wrote in both English and French. His work offers a bleak, tragicomic outlook on human nature, often coupled with black comedy and gallows humour.

Beckett is widely regarded as among the most influential writers of the 20th century. Strongly influenced
More about Samuel Beckett...
Waiting for Godot Endgame Endgame & Act Without Words Molloy, Malone Dies, The Unnamable Krapp's Last Tape & Embers

“In the end he said, I am Mercier, alone, ill, in the cold, the wet, old, half mad, no way on, no way back. He eyed briefly, with nostalgia, the ghastly sky, the hideous earth. At your age, he said. Another act. Immaterial” 3 likes
“I don't think I recognize you, sir, said Camier.
I am Watt, said Watt. As you say, I'm unrecognizable.
Watt? said Camier. The name means nothing to me.
I am not widely know, said Watt, true, but I shall be, one day. Not universally, perhaps, my notoriety is not likely ever to penetrate to the denizens of Dublin's fair city, or of Cuq-Toulza.”