Start by marking “The Magus: A Complete System of Occult Philosophy” as Want to Read:
The Magus: A Complete System of Occult Philosophy

The Magus: A Complete System of Occult Philosophy

First published in 1801, this book mirrored the era's fascination with the supernatural, containing medieval and occult knowledge. Notable in the text are the author's illustrations, derived from ancient and medieval magical texts, and rare translations of cabalistic and occult lore.
Published January 1st 2000 by Weiser Books (first published January 1st 1967)

To ask other readers questions about The Magus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Magus

Chris Feldman
Aug 01, 2009 Chris Feldman rated it it was amazing
Basically a rip-off of Agrippa, but interesting nonetheless.
Moshe Fine
May 10, 2014 Moshe Fine rated it it was amazing
Apparently stabbing a horse with an iron nail or sword or whatever will bind nearby witches. Nifty.
Also, I bet you had no idea how useful menstrual blood could be. That shit is like the duct tape of magic. Works in applications ranging from bears to cornfields.
Also also, I very much enjoyed the advice given to those who want to make a philosopher's stone (the book presumes that gold is a major motivation here), part of which is that one should not desire too much gold. Delightful.
Erik Akre
Aug 05, 2016 Erik Akre rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: serious students of occult history
Shelves: wicca
This might be the most bizarre and random book I have ever read. I read it without any context for its turn-of-the-eighteenth century information, and it blew me away with its strange correspondences, wild numerology, archaic astrology, and twisted suggestions for ritual and spellcraft.

As a student of Wicca, I looked for links between Barrett's writings and current Wiccan practice, and I do feel there are plenty. I am left with wonder at how his own experience in the occult eventually fed into w
Full disclosure: I have only skimmed this book. I feel I must write a superficial review here as two of the three present say nothing about the book itself.

This is a 19th century text drawing from various sources (including, and perhaps primarily, but not only Agrippa's Three Books of Occult Philosophy). It is part manual, part overview for the Victorian occultist and covers various topics such as "Natural Magic," "Alchymy," "Cabalistic Magic," and "Magnetism."
Bob Schweiger
Nov 27, 2007 Bob Schweiger rated it it was amazing
This book is hard to read and definately not for everyone. It contains valuable information for those seeking out old world knowledge.
Kirk Bullough
I read this book because I read on the internet that Joseph Smith's family owned a copy of this book. It contains a picture of a medallion that Joseph Smith had on him when he died.

Anyway the book is about Christian folk magic. It doesn't hold up against the advances in science since the book was written. Its pretty boring as well. I did buy me a Jupiter Medallion. I use it as a key chain.

Aaron Meyer
Jan 10, 2014 Aaron Meyer rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: occult
Is a hodgepodge of material. For the time it came out though it was huge because access to some of the volumes which it took from were extremely difficult to come by. Of course now that has completely changed and its sources are readily available. Unfortunately that leaves this volume in the dust heap so to speak, worthless other than it being a curiosity of the times.
John Wight
A great compendium of occult philosophy, going over topics such as natural magic, talismanic magic, alchemy, evokation, etc.
Silas
Silas rated it it was amazing
Mar 03, 2016
Madeleine
Madeleine rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2014
Darren L.
Darren L. rated it did not like it
Sep 27, 2007
Jimmer Bimmer
Jimmer Bimmer rated it liked it
Jul 22, 2008
Michael Vasta
Michael Vasta rated it liked it
Feb 15, 2010
Lord Kai
Lord Kai rated it it was amazing
Jul 27, 2010
Mike
Mike rated it it was ok
Aug 18, 2012
Paul
Paul rated it really liked it
Sep 26, 2016
Drac
Drac rated it it was ok
Jun 24, 2012
David Crawford
David Crawford rated it really liked it
Apr 29, 2013
John
John rated it it was ok
Jan 10, 2013
Brian Mccall
Brian Mccall rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2014
Gregory
Gregory rated it liked it
Feb 18, 2013
Darren Mitton
Darren Mitton rated it really liked it
Sep 19, 2012
Miss D J Rush
Miss D J Rush rated it liked it
Sep 07, 2015
Nicole Thomas
Nicole Thomas rated it liked it
May 03, 2011
Shadylady
Shadylady rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2013
Khoirul Arifin
Khoirul Arifin rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2010
Bart Hulbert Sr
Bart Hulbert Sr rated it liked it
Mar 16, 2015
Maya
Maya rated it really liked it
Apr 19, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • 777 and Other Qabalistic Writings of Aleister Crowley
  • The Key of Solomon the King: Clavicula Salomonis
  • Three Books of Occult Philosophy
  • Enochian Vision Magick: An Introduction and Practical Guide to the Magick of Dr. John Dee and Edward Kelley
  • The Book of the Sacred Magic of Abramelin, The Mage — As Delivered By Abraham The Jew Unto His Son Lamech — As A Grimoire of The 15th Century
  • Transcendental Magic: Its Doctrine and Ritual
  • Modern Magick: Eleven Lessons in the High Magickal Arts
  • The Golden Dawn: The Original Account of the Teachings, Rites, and Ceremonies of the Hermetic Order
  • Aleister Crowley and the Hidden God
  • The Mystical Qabalah
  • The Complete Magician's Tables
  • The Celtic Shaman: A Handbook (Earth Quest)
  • The Book of Pleasure (Self-Love): The Psychology of Ecstasy