Start by marking “Chambers of Death (Medieval Mystery, #6)” as Want to Read:
Chambers of Death (Medieval Mystery, #6)

Chambers of Death (Medieval Mystery #6)

When one of her company falls ill on a return journey to Tyndal, Prioress Eleanor accepts lodging at a nearby manor. The hospitality may be warm but the underlying passions among the steward's family are scorching. Master Stevyn's wife is having an affair with the groom while a local widow acts more like the lady of the manor than the lady herself. Stevyn's eldest son and ...more
Published May 27th 2010 by Poisoned Pen Press (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Chambers of Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chambers of Death

Susan Corcoran
Another enjoyable read. I'm a big fan of this series of books. Yes they are a bit predictable, but they are fun and a there is a lot to be said of that.
Susan in NC
I find this series interesting for it's seemingly accurate portrayal of medieval views on women, sexuality, illness, and the belief that evil stalked the earth in several very real forms - the Devil, Prince of Darkness, Satan, imps, incubi, succubi, etc. I also enjoy the interchanges between Prioress Eleanor and "her" monk Thomas - she struggles with the lust she feels for him, and he struggles with melancholy over his homosexual urges. It's interesting but also a bit depressing, when you realiz ...more
Ken Kugler
Feb 21, 2013 Ken Kugler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Priscell Royal has a great group of central characters and they are gettting more and more complex.
In Chambers of Death, the main characters, the Prioress Eleanor and Brother Thomas have to stop in a small fortress due to a storm and the illness of one of their novices, a young woman Mariota who is rning up with fever. Henry de Lacy, the Earl of Lincoln has offered them a place to stay but the village and fortress is steeped in mysteries, hate and mistrust. What a surprise in a Mystery Series.
Nov 12, 2014 Jen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Murder, of course, can be expected. The problem is that I didn't much care for this sixth book in the series. Any series can vary in quality, but I'm not sure if that was the reason I didn't like it as much or if I'm growing a bit tired of the tension between Eleanor and her favorite monk.

Purchased. Poisoned Pen Press

Medieval Mystery. 2009, 2011. Print length: 261 pages.
Jan 25, 2015 Ama-louise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thoroughly enjoyable. A righteous stroll through a houseful packed with enough deceit, lust (both open and concealed) to kindle into the flames of a hellish crime.
Susan Jaffe Pober
Mar 30, 2014 Susan Jaffe Pober rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another excellent tale of murder, intrigue in the life of Prioress Eleanor in 13th century England. The series, by Pricilla Royal is told with great detail of the lives of all manor of class during this historical period. This is the sixth book in the Medieval Mystery series and I look forward to starting the seventh - which is already waiting for me on my night table.
Jun 02, 2013 Melody rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A new series to me. Very interesting characters and an interesting plot. Very good representation of medieval thinking. I shall look for other books in this series.
May 26, 2013 Joy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots more bodies & not hard to pick the murderer but I still am enjoying this series & enjoy the Notes at the end about different aspects of medieval life
This was weaker than other books of the series-the characters were more stock and the mystery was not so mysterious. I was a little disappointed.
Feb 27, 2012 Celeste rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love every book in this series. Priscilla Royal never disappoints me.
Dec 11, 2011 Helen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cadfael meets Crowner John!
Christine Hewes
Christine Hewes marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2016
Ann marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2016
Dr Howard Davis
Dr Howard Davis rated it really liked it
Oct 15, 2016
Jamie marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2016
Yoda marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2016
Elly Wendy
Elly Wendy rated it liked it
Oct 09, 2016
Raju rated it it was ok
Oct 01, 2016
Lynn Howker
Lynn Howker marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2016
Gigi marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2016
Holly marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2016
Lisa Nagy
Lisa Nagy marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2016
Sharon marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2016
Pat Bries
Pat Bries rated it really liked it
Aug 26, 2016
Pauline rated it it was amazing
Aug 25, 2016
Victoria Ilgacs
Victoria Ilgacs marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Susan McAdams
Susan McAdams rated it it was amazing
Aug 20, 2016
Gerald C Kelly
Gerald C Kelly rated it it was amazing
Aug 16, 2016
Tracey added it
Aug 15, 2016
  • Cup of Blood (Crispin Guest #7)
  • The Saint John's Fern (Roger the Chapman, #9)
  • Liars and Thieves
  • The Song of the Nightingale (Hawkenlye Mysteries #14)
  • The Straw Men (Sorrowful Mysteries of Brother Athelstan, #12)
  • King Arthur's Bones (The Medieval Murderers, #5)
  • Baynard's List (Stephen Attebrook Mysteries #2)
  • Templar's Acre (Knights Templar, #32)
  • The Alehouse Murders (Templar Knight Mystery, #1)
  • The Prioress' Tale (Sister Frevisse, #7)
  • Falconer's Crusade (William Falconer, #1)
  • The Killing Way (Arthurian Mysteries, #1)
Priscilla has a degree in world literature from San Francisco State University, where she discovered the beauty of medieval literature. She is a theater fan as well as reader of history, mysteries, and fiction of lesser violence. She lives in Northern California and belongs to the California Writers Club and Sisters in Crime.
More about Priscilla Royal...

Medieval Mystery (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Wine of Violence (Medieval Mystery, #1)
  • Tyrant of the Mind (Medieval Mystery, #2)
  • Sorrow Without End (Medieval Mystery, #3)
  • Justice for the Damned (Medieval Mystery, #4)
  • Forsaken Soul (Medieval Mystery, #5)
  • Valley of Dry Bones (Medieval Mystery, #7)
  • A Killing Season (Medieval Mystery, #8)
  • Sanctity of Hate (Medieval Mystery, #9)
  • Covenant with Hell  (Medieval Mystery, #10)
  • Satan's Lullaby (Medieval Mystery, #11)