Start by marking “Chambers of Death (Medieval Mystery, #6)” as Want to Read:
Chambers of Death (Medieval Mystery, #6)

Chambers of Death (Medieval Mystery #6)

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  173 ratings  ·  10 reviews
When one of her company falls ill on a return journey to Tyndal, Prioress Eleanor accepts lodging at a nearby manor. The hospitality may be warm but the underlying passions among the steward's family are scorching. Master Stevyn's wife is having an affair with the groom while a local widow acts more like the lady of the manor than the lady herself. Stevyn's eldest son and ...more
Published May 27th 2010 by Poisoned Pen Press (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Chambers of Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chambers of Death

Susan
I find this series interesting for it's seemingly accurate portrayal of medieval views on women, sexuality, illness, and the belief that evil stalked the earth in several very real forms - the Devil, Prince of Darkness, Satan, imps, incubi, succubi, etc. I also enjoy the interchanges between Prioress Eleanor and "her" monk Thomas - she struggles with the lust she feels for him, and he struggles with melancholy over his homosexual urges. It's interesting but also a bit depressing, when you realiz ...more
Ken Kugler
Priscell Royal has a great group of central characters and they are gettting more and more complex.
In Chambers of Death, the main characters, the Prioress Eleanor and Brother Thomas have to stop in a small fortress due to a storm and the illness of one of their novices, a young woman Mariota who is rning up with fever. Henry de Lacy, the Earl of Lincoln has offered them a place to stay but the village and fortress is steeped in mysteries, hate and mistrust. What a surprise in a Mystery Series.
T
Jen
Murder, of course, can be expected. The problem is that I didn't much care for this sixth book in the series. Any series can vary in quality, but I'm not sure if that was the reason I didn't like it as much or if I'm growing a bit tired of the tension between Eleanor and her favorite monk.

Purchased. Poisoned Pen Press

Medieval Mystery. 2009, 2011. Print length: 261 pages.
Ama-louise
Thoroughly enjoyable. A righteous stroll through a houseful packed with enough deceit, lust (both open and concealed) to kindle into the flames of a hellish crime.
Susan Jaffe Pober
Another excellent tale of murder, intrigue in the life of Prioress Eleanor in 13th century England. The series, by Pricilla Royal is told with great detail of the lives of all manor of class during this historical period. This is the sixth book in the Medieval Mystery series and I look forward to starting the seventh - which is already waiting for me on my night table.
Melody
A new series to me. Very interesting characters and an interesting plot. Very good representation of medieval thinking. I shall look for other books in this series.
Joy
Lots more bodies & not hard to pick the murderer but I still am enjoying this series & enjoy the Notes at the end about different aspects of medieval life
Cece
This was weaker than other books of the series-the characters were more stock and the mystery was not so mysterious. I was a little disappointed.
Celeste
Love every book in this series. Priscilla Royal never disappoints me.
Helen
Cadfael meets Crowner John!
Ashley Cassidy
Ashley Cassidy marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2015
Hj
Hj marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2015
Lainie
Lainie marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
Jeremy
Jeremy marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
Madeline Friedman
Madeline Friedman marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2015
Barb Westhoven
Barb Westhoven marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2015
  • The Weaver's Inheritance (Roger the Chapman, #8)
  • Liars and Thieves
  • King Arthur's Bones (The Medieval Murderers, #5)
  • The Prioress' Tale (Sister Frevisse, #7)
  • Falconer's Crusade (William Falconer, #1)
  • The Straw Men (Sorrowful Mysteries of Brother Athelstan, #12)
  • Serpent in the Thorns (Crispin Guest, #2)
  • The Joys of My Life (Hawkenlye Mysteries, #12)
  • The Tournament of Blood (Knights Templar, #11)
  • The Bone-Pedlar (Sir Richard Straccan, #1)
  • India Black in the City of Light (Madam of Espionage, #3.5)
  • Shroud of Dishonour (Templar Knight Mystery #5)
  • The Seventh Trumpet (Sister Fidelma, #23)
Priscilla has a degree in world literature from San Francisco State University, where she discovered the beauty of medieval literature. She is a theater fan as well as reader of history, mysteries, and fiction of lesser violence. She lives in Northern California and belongs to the California Writers Club and Sisters in Crime.
More about Priscilla Royal...

Medieval Mystery (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Wine of Violence (Medieval Mystery, #1)
  • Tyrant of the Mind (Medieval Mystery, #2)
  • Sorrow Without End (Medieval Mystery, #3)
  • Justice for the Damned (Medieval Mystery, #4)
  • Forsaken Soul (Medieval Mystery, #5)
  • Valley of Dry Bones (Medieval Mystery, #7)
  • A Killing Season (Medieval Mystery, #8)
  • Sanctity of Hate (Medieval Mystery, #9)
  • Covenant with Hell  (Medieval Mystery, #10)
  • Satan's Lullaby (Medieval Mystery, #11)
Wine of Violence (Medieval Mystery, #1) Tyrant of the Mind (Medieval Mystery, #2) Sorrow Without End (Medieval Mystery, #3) Justice for the Damned (Medieval Mystery, #4) Forsaken Soul (Medieval Mystery, #5)