Kilkenny

Kilkenny (Kilkenny #3)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  1,415 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Kilkenny could find no peace in the valley, for his reputation as a sharp shooter was known, and gunmen arose like coyotes to test him. One trigger-happy victim was Tetlow. Old man Tetlow was driven by greed to build a cattle empire. Now he would use every ruthless killer he could hire to fulfill an even more powerful urge--to destroy Kilkenny.
Mass Market Paperback
Published June 1983 by Bantam Books (first published 1954)

Robert
As I work my way through L'Amour's westerns I can't help but relive the fun I had when I read them the first time over 30 years ago...
These books are easy to read, yet very well written. Full of western cliches, yes but some how different. And, to be fair, they are loaded with historical accuracy.
This book is just another story about the gunfighter who wants to settle down and circumstances won't let him. Done before? Yes, many times. But still done so well by this author it remains full of exci...more
Tony
Lance Kilkenny fights off cattle rustlers, saves town and gets girl - typical Louis L'Amour plot. It is a good book to pass the time on an airplane, especially from Wichita, Kansas, to Chicago.
Line
This is the first American Western I have ever read, and I have to say I found it very interesting! It took a while for me to get used to the style of writing, but once I did I found it fascinating to dive into a different side of the world than I have known before. It is also historically interesting, as the frontier is such an important part of the American heritage. To me, as a foreigner, it helps explain the idealism and romanticism that has taken part shaping the western United States. Even...more
Chris
Now a handful of books into the early part of Louis L'Amour's bibliography, two distinct themes that stand somewhat juxtaposed to each other are starting to take shape. On the one hand, L'Amour's characters, while still mostly archetypes of classic Western roles of heroes, villains, damsels in distress, etc., are beginning to show - albeit softly - signs of depth and life. The title hero in "Kilkenny," for example, while a seemingly infallible gunslinger looking to settle down in the frontier (s...more
Diana Bogan
I love Louis L'Amour books and I haven't read one in many many years. I found myself in the mood to pick up an entertaining western that I knew would deliver a good story swiftly after watching "True Grit." That's what brought me back to Louis L'Amour.

I was introduced to his books by a colleague of my father when I was a teenager. He gifted to books to me and out of politeness I figured I should at least attempt to read them. I had never read any book within this genre and I assumed it didn't ap...more
David
Another great book; tough guy with a fast draw kills the bad guys and gets the girl.
I can understand why some people may get tired of that story line, but I for one cant get enough of them.
I also like the scene of being out in the wild.
Samantha
My dad is a L'amour addict, so I started reading these books when I was very young. Kilkenny is one of my favorite characters. He is strong and wise and always protects the underdog. The thing I love most is that he draws everyone into his world. I don't care if you were my enemy, you can be my best friend type of situations. I have always thought that was an admirable character trait. He didn't hold a grudge. L'amour may have been guilty of writing formula fiction, but he writes a great western...more
Jon
For the longest time I didn't realize Kilkenny was a trilogy, then I tracked down this book and finally got to see how things wrapped up. In typical L'amour style, the good guy stands up against the odds and saves the day. As in all of his novels, L'amour paints with broad strokes, filling in a watercolor background with the few concise details saved for the action.

You can always count on Louis to spin a yarn worth reading, but never taking up too much of your time.
Sara
I thought Kilkenny was on par with Louis L'Amour's other books. A fun, swift read.

Kilkenny had a reputation he was trying to escape when some ranchers move into town and try to overtake everyone's outfits. Kilkenny is not going to stand for it, especially when he finds out the love he has left behind has also set up a ranch in town and is now in danger.
Rebecca
This was just plain fun to read. If you like westerns for the action then this is a good one because it's non-stop action. It's a quick read, short and fast paced. It's actually the third in the Kilkenny series.

For those looking for a squeaky clean read - this one has some language and violence, fist fights, a knife fight and gunfights.
Rizwan
A perfect finishing to a PERFECT Western trilogy. Lance Kilkenny is without a doubt my all-time favorite Western Hero. And the duo of Lance Kilkenny-Nita Riordan is also my most favorite of them all! These are the kind of evergreen stories I'll continue to re-read always.
Craig
One of the episodes in the continuing saga of Lance Kilkenny (aka "Trent"), one of the "good" gunfighters of the Old West - a fictional character of L'Amour's creation. Light reading (nothing serious) but enjoyable and entertaining.
Michael Kennard
Read most of Louis Lamour's books when I was in my late teens and early twenties. They are important to me as they were some of the first books that got me into the reading habit. For that I shall be forever grateful
Fredrick Danysh
Kilkenny enters a stage station only to be challenged by a youngster who he is forced to shoot in self-defense. Hiding in the mountains, he is hunted by the young man's father.
Sarah Anderson
I'm not sure this book would get published today--the POV jumps around, among other things, but you know what? Louis L'Amour tells a hell of a good story anyway.
Bobbi
Read this a few months ago, and the finer details escape me. I've been on a kick to reread Louis L'Amour and this is one of his early books, according to my list.
Damonthompson74
First L'Amour book. Didn't love it...didn't hate it. Took a bit getting used to, might try another now that I know what to expect.
LJ
I'm a Louis L'Amour fan from way back, so I enjoy all his books to some degree. I usually skip the boxing scenes, though. :-)
Bruce
This is one of Louis L'Amour's best westerns, and he writes great westerns. Loved it. Highly recommend it.
Erin
Not one of his best. I just didn't get involved in the story and the love interest was annoying.
John
Western...typical formula...nothing special. Stick a fork in me....I'm DONE with my western kick!
Sheila Massingale
OK, maybe this one is my favorite L'Amour--along with the 2 other Kilkenny books.
Charles
Kilkenny is one of my favorite of L'Amour's characters. A hero and a gunfighter.
Aditya Singh
One of my personal favorite characters, Kilkenny's three novels were AWESOME!
Sharon
The tired gunslinger, defending himself against rash, young opponents.
Thomas Whitney
The noble, western hero. You have to like reading L'amour to like this.
Angela
everyone should read a novel written in the early 1950s now and then...
David Reynolds
I like Kilkenny almost as much as Tell Sackett!!
Jeana
this is a favorite of mine. very good.
John
very good story again
  • The Lone Star Ranger
  • The Last Mountain Man (Mountain Man, #1)
  • Hombre
  • The Searchers
  • Oregon! (Wagons West, #4)
  • Buffalo Girls
-Wikipedia
More about Louis L'Amour...
Last of the Breed The Walking Drum Hondo Sackett's Land (The Sacketts, #1) The Lonesome Gods