Start by marking “Secrets of Mary Magdalene: The Untold Story of History's Most Misunderstood Woman” as Want to Read:

Mary Magdalene was a key figure in Christ's life, she was present at his Crucifixion and she was also the first person to see him resurrected. According to Dan Brown's multi-million selling DA VINCI CODE, she was also his wife and the mother of his children. In the Gospels, she is described as an outcast and a harlot. This may be due to the disciples' jealousy of Jesus' lo ...more
Published January 1st 2006 by Weidenfeld & Nicolson

Liz Woods
Mar 14, 2007 Liz Woods rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you want to learn more about the dogma of the Church or even begin to question the lack of roles for women, this is a great read that makes you begin to really think. An academic case study set up allows one to pick up and put down the book in easy intervals. Very, very thought provoking. For example, did you know that the Church "corrected" their opinion on Mary Magdalene in the last century and instructed the doctrine to no longer teach that she was a lady of the night? Me neither. All of m ...more
Gwynneth
Secrets of Mary Magdalene is a compilation of essays, interviews and stories by Burstein and DeKeijzer, editors who have been instrumental in establishing the collection of Secrets books (Secrets of The Code, Secrets of Angels & Demons, etc.).

Secrets encompasses a number of writers that range from Elaine Pagels, Bart D. Ehrman, Margaret Starbird, to Anna Quindlen and Tori Amos - all who seek to explain historical, religious, anthropological and New Age variations on the theme of Mary Magdal
Crystal Land
Jan 03, 2008 Crystal Land rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book somewhat repeats itself, but has a lot of good information. It was written by a collage of admirable bible scholars so the research is very good and gives differents views to think about.
Rstarobahallenbeck
This book is a great start for fans of the Magdalene. Various artists and scientists discuss what we know (and what we don't!) about this amazing woman. It's hard to not feel a sense of injustice (as a woman) as a result of the Roman (Constantine) campaign against women.
Debbie
Sep 02, 2007 Debbie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book gave the viewpoints and research of many MM scholars.
I decided what made sense and was logical for me. (see my review Of ...Alabaster Jar)
S. Shelton
Lynn Picknett explores in great depth alternate versions and background of the Christ story as told in the canonical Gospels (New Testament), Gnostic Gospels, and other sources—some apocryphal—focusing on The Magdalene’s background, her physical and spiritual relationship with Jesus Christ, and the historical perspective of this enigmatic woman.

Picknett’s helter-skelter narrative is too confusing for my simple mind. It’s contradictory, meandering, tedious, skews off target, repetitive ad nauseam
Maureen Weiner
Jan 14, 2017 Maureen Weiner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, religion
I really enjoyed this book. Learning some of the history of Mary Magdalene only makes me want to learn more.
Enikő
Nov 07, 2011 Enikő rated it liked it
C'est un livre très intéressant. J'ai découvert des sources d'information dont je ne connaissais l'existence et que j'aimerais éventuellement consulter. Malgré que plusieurs des faits et des opinions présentés le sont de façon répétitive, cela aide à retenir ce qu'on a déjà lu et à force de répéter on comprend un peu plus avec chaque nuance ajouté dans le chapitre suivant. Bien sûr, le fait que les mêmes opnions soient répétées leur donne plus de crédibilité, mais en même temps je trouve que ce ...more
N.N. Light
I was so excited to read this book as I'm a huge fan of The DaVinci Code by Dan Brown as well as being an amateur Biblical scholar. Mary Magdalene has always fascinated me and I wanted to know more.

This look is basically twenty previously-released essays dealing with Mary Magdalene from experts in the field. While it was informative and scientific, it was mostly dry and not intriguing.

So disappointing and in the end, I did not finish.

My Rating: 2 stars
Emily Dahl
Sep 08, 2007 Emily Dahl rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, wost
while i enjoyed learning more about Mary Magdalene in relation to the formation of the early Christian church, i expected...more.
most of the book seemed like the same argument over and over and over. the distinct viewpoints were few and far between, but were provocative and interesting once presented.
Lotte
Jan 23, 2009 Lotte rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This collection of approx. 40 essays and interviews with a variety of Mary Magdalene experts and enthusiasts brings together most of the current research and thought on this fascinating woman. This format, unfortunately, leads to much repetition (much). I read with more interest early in the book.
Keith Haan
Aug 23, 2015 Keith Haan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent compilation of writings by a number of Biblical scholars with commentary by Dan Burstein and Arne J. De Keizer. It's informative and thought-provoking regardless of your personal opinions.
Fil
Dec 12, 2011 Fil rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: myth-religion
Not much new here, more like a "best of" collection or someone's idea of such. At most, it reminded me of the date Gregory I got confused... imagine that, a uninformed pope!

Easy to read, easy to forget...
Robins Roy
Oct 07, 2012 Robins Roy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not completed reading. Good read. Diving into more secrets about Mary Magdalene and the hidden stories and gospels
Ellen Black
Apr 12, 2009 Ellen Black rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating story. I'm always drawn to mysteries about the Magdalene and the need to find the truth of who this woman was/is.
Violeta Petrovska
„Начин да се достигне оргазам, а притоа душата да остане чиста“ - Тори Амос, мислам дека е сувишен било каков дополнителен коментар.
Spectre
Spectre rated it really liked it
Feb 14, 2015
Kell Johan
Kell Johan rated it really liked it
Aug 18, 2007
Kelly Barclay
Kelly Barclay rated it really liked it
Oct 04, 2014
Deepu
Deepu rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2016
Kay Riggle
Kay Riggle rated it it was amazing
Mar 13, 2012
Susan
Susan rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2011
Yvonne
Yvonne rated it really liked it
Oct 17, 2009
Smita Roy
Smita Roy rated it really liked it
May 10, 2013
Ariel Diator
Ariel Diator rated it liked it
Sep 13, 2014
Ulinuha
Ulinuha rated it liked it
May 20, 2014
Margaret
Margaret rated it really liked it
Jun 24, 2008
Nikita D'souza
Nikita D'souza rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2011
Karen
Karen rated it really liked it
Oct 23, 2011
Billy Dankler
Billy Dankler rated it really liked it
Feb 12, 2013
  • Dead Sea Scrolls Uncovered
  • Mary Magdalen: Myth and Metaphor
  • The Laughing Jesus: Religious Lies and Gnostic Wisdom
  • All of the Women of the Bible
  • The Secrets of Judas: The Story of the Misunderstood Disciple & His Lost Gospel
  • The Lost Gospel Q: The Original Sayings of Jesus
  • The Woman with the Alabaster Jar: Mary Magdalen and the Holy Grail
  • Joshua and the Children
  • The Jesus Family Tomb: The Discovery, the Investigation & the Evidence That Could Change History
  • From Ancient Goddesses to Christian Saints (History of women in the west, #1)
  • The Gnostic Discoveries: The Impact of the Nag Hammadi Library
  • The Birth of Christianity
  • The Magdalene Legacy: The Jesus and Mary Bloodline Conspiracy – Revelations Beyond The Da Vinci Code