Start by marking “Bittersweet” as Want to Read:
Bittersweet

Bittersweet

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  2,916 ratings  ·  97 reviews
In Bittersweet, Danielle Steel has written a novel for our times, a story of choices and new beginnings.

India Taylor lived in a world of manicured lawns and neatly maintained calendars: a merry-go-round of Little League, piano lessons, and Cape Cod summer vacations. With four wonderful children, India believed in commitment and sacrifice, just as she believed in Doug, the
Published February 25th 2009 by Dell (first published March 8th 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Bittersweet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bittersweet

BJ
Hadn't read a Danielle Steel in awhile, and this was typical of her writing style. Hated the main character's husband and it took half the book to get rid of him. By the time she got rid of him, I didn't like her much either!
Karen
Mmmm ok, quite predictable, bit boring in parts, easy read but not a page turner.
 PuMbA's MoMmy*•.♥.•*
I can see why Danielle Steel has had so much success as an author. This is the first book of hers that I have read and I must say that I was surprised. I have seen a lot of her books at used bookstores and have passed them over. However, I picked up this one by luck. I read the excerpt on the story and I took it home with me. It sat on my bookshelf for about 1 year. I finally picked it up this week and began to read it. A few days later I find myself writing this review.

Let me start off by sayin
Nahiyan Asadullah
Jan 27, 2013 Nahiyan Asadullah rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: the emotional fools
"Bittersweet" is the second Steel book that I read, the first one was 'Irresistible Forces.' So the story starts off by portraying the life of India Taylor, the photographer. Her father was a Pulitzer-winning passionate photo journalist in his days.

India used to be a very famous photographer 17 years ago. However, her husband Doug whose name actually should be spelled 'Dog' had not let her continue on her passion and interestingly enough India had agreed to bury it thinking of her children and h
Joy Marie Blasco
I find this book really boring. I was disappointed, 'cause I expected too much having read Steel's The Promise. But all in all, not that bad. Just that it's not a page-turner.
Carol Storm
Pleasant enough but a little short on romance.

India is a nice enough heroine, but her husband is such a one-dimensional jerk it's hard to believe she was married to him for fourteen years.

Paul Ward is a nice enough hero, but I wish there was more romance and less angsting about the death of his first wife in a plane crash. Serena was actually a much more interesting character than Paul -- or India either for that matter.

Also given that India sees herself as a wife and mother first and a caree
Curious
Oct 27, 2014 Curious rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Danielle steel fans
Steel just goes on and on about India wanting to photograph and spending all her time with her kids and seeing Doug for dinner. She wants to feel the excitement and the adrenaline rush once again, but nothing happens for a very long time. The divorce sets her free. She finds a man who supports and undersatnds her.

Overall impression - nothing happens for too long. As a reader i got bored until the divorce occured.
Bethany Stoelting
Very slow moving and repetitively frustrating at times, but Steel shows her knowledge of real-life situations. It was tragic and beautiful. Expect to be upset and frustrated until the last third of the book. I still enjoyed it immensely despite its speed.
Alison
This wasn't a great book, but it wasn't as bad as some reviewers have said. Take Danielle Steele's books for what they are - relationships that have their ups and downs, heroines that you love or hate, husbands that you love or hate, a third party romantic interest, and emotions and feels that are addressed in living detail. I enjoy reading her books as a break from murder mysteries and documentaries of real life that I read. They are fast paced, and there's usually one or two characters that I ...more
Angria
Half way through the book, I was already feeling daunted by the predictable plot and the hackneyed character development. In a word, it was a yawn. Yet, i still ploughed through the book till the very end.

Bittersweet is a tale about a fortysomething homemaker, India, who is a former award-winning photojournalist, now happily married to her husband, Dough for 17 years, at least she thought they are. They have four happy kids and a regular home life that is admirable to everyone and for 17 years I
zyra.cyra.xyra
Reasons why I gave two stars..

I’m not pretty sure (doubtful) if I liked India’s character in the story. She was too much under her husband Doug who wouldn’t let her get back to work as a professional photographer. She was easily manipulated by her husband. But optimistic signs of her which I liked- She’s a great mother, determined and humble. As I was reading the first few chapter, I found it irritating that same thing/conflict comes out-and that is India’s insistent of getting back to her work
Kristen
In Danielle Steel's Bittersweet, that was the best word to describe India Taylor's story in this harrowing romance. For India Taylor, she believed in commitment and success and lived in a good life with her four children. She had chosen her husband Doug for 17 years over her award-winning photojournalism career. She couldn't remember the exact moment when her agent called with her assignment, when her husband wanted her to turn it down. And that's when she met hew new friend, Paul Ward, a Wall S ...more
Julie Barrett
Bittersweet by Danielle Steel
This book is about India who gave up her world traveling and helping others in less fortunate countries with shelter and food and married Doug, he works on Wall Street.
They live in Westport, CT and he commutes to work daily. She gave up her job in the photography field when she had her first child. After others came along and they are grown and teens she wants to get a career back.
On the Cape she met others who have listened to what she's told them and they are behin
Elza Balaj
I'm reading that book right now its awesome, i love it so much like every book of my favourite Danielle Steel, don't know what to say it's just amazing, got so much love for it..

I've just finished it, it's very inspirational: NEVER GIVE UP ON YOUR DREAMS
Summer
So India (the main character) was a very famous photographer 17 years ago and she wants to get back to work... but the "big" trouble is that, the jackass she calls husband, Doug, dont let her.

This is the first book of Danielle Steel that i read and i have to said that im a little bit dissapointed.
When I first started reading, I read one review that said India was the bravest heroin that she ever read before... hell no.

So i started reading the book ... and are fifty pages for her to ask for permi
Sunshine

So i started reading the book ... and are fifty pages for her to ask for perm
Janice Circle
Great reading

This book was a good book and full of life. I enjoyed the way it showed the world of pure imagination. It showed that the world of perfect marriage doesn't exist when deals are made. People still need to be able to be their own person and have their own unique style.
Ashima Mukherjee
A journey to self exploration and reliving the lost years and gaining back the lost confidence....
Learnt yet again that we all must embark on experiencing...learning... sharing... living each experience life offers and gain spirit to living on your own terms no matter how hard the journey is...............
Kelly Ilebode
It was okay - I had a very hard time getting into the characters and felt like I was reading a book, not walking in their world and I don't like that. (hopefully that makes sense) I didn't LOVE it but I didn't hate it and would recommend it. I have read other Danielle Steeles book, and this at the bottom for me.
Krithika
It's a great book and I've read it twice. It's that good. It's face paced and India'a husband is a bad character in honesty. But The romance of Paul and India really made the whole story a thrill. Amazing read!
Arigemu
A veces me preguntaba si la autora pensaba que los lectores eran tontos, porque la cantidad de veces que repetía las frases me cansaba. De alguna forma se puede leer, pero no esperen nada complejo.
Eyna
Some melodrama about a woman named India, who wants to be
more than just a wife and a mother -- Wants to pursue her
career in photojournalism, but her narrow-minded husband,
Doug, won't allow it; India then meets Paul, a Wall Street
tycoon who lived his life in his own terms - in a yacht!,
and whose glamorous wife dies in a plance crash.

India's life begins to change in ways she didn't plan on when
she meets this indecently handsome & ruggedly alluring hot stuff!

Strong story line but with v
Nettie
Will always have mixed feelings about Danielle Steel but this ending brought tears, guess I'll continue to read more of her books.
Rachna
Beautifully woven story of the struggle a woman goes through to rediscover herself. A little abrupt towards the end, but good altogether.
Anupriya
Although the story was extremely touching, its just that I felt almost drained because of the constant churning of emotions throughout the book.
Myla M.
Simple but so romantic
Maria
Adorei este livro. O meu pai comprou-mo no Sábado, há dois dias atrás e peguei nele imediatamente e não me desiludiu. Tinha grandes esperanças desta autora, já li imensos livros dela e este é um dos meus preferidos.

Não vou falar do que ele fala, mas é um livro a não perder; incentiva-nos a nunca desistir dos nossos sonhos e citando a autora : " Because giving you who you are, what you do, and what you need is giving up your dreams, and if you give them up, sooner or later, it will kill you."
Lorraine
Ok .. Not her best work. I read it a long time ago so that may have been part of it.
Baglady
main character without a brain or backbone except for being able to raise perfect kids - wonder how that happened when she was oblivious to all other problems surrounding her marriage. There are no tigers in Africa and very unlikely a herd of rhinos would block traffic on a bush road - there are no herds of rhinos left anywhere much less near people in Rwanda. Hadn't read Danielle Steele in a long time, will be longer still until I try it again.
Danielle Steel Bo...: Bittersweet 1 2 Nov 20, 2012 08:47PM
  • Big Sky Standoff
  • The Captive (Harlequin Blaze, #534)
  • The Italian's Rightful Bride (Harlequin Romance, No. 3855)
  • Dating the Rebel Tycoon (The Kellys of Brisbane, #1)
  • Rock My World (Harlequin Blaze #215)
  • Danielle Steel
  • The Thursday Friend
  • The Devil She Knows (Devil, #6)
  • Patrick's Destiny (The Devaneys #4)
  • Expensive People (Wonderland Quartet, #2)
  • Heart of Gold (Loveswept, No 393; Rainbow Chasers, #1)
  • I Shot You Babe (Bombay Assassins, #4)
  • Never Too Late
  • Winter Door (The Gateway Trilogy, #2)
  • Good Girls Don't
  • The Player
  • Double Dare (Harlequin Blaze #324)
  • Our Little Secret
Since 1981, Ms. Steel has been a permanent fixture on the New York Times hardcover and paperback bestseller lists. In 1989, she was listed in the Guinness Book of World Records for having at least one of her books on the Times bestseller list for 381 consecutive weeks. But Guinness was premature. The fact is that one or more of Ms. Steel's novels have been on the New York Times bestseller list for ...more
More about Danielle Steel...
Safe Harbour Sisters The Gift Kaleidoscope Fine Things