Start by marking “Bittersweet” as Want to Read:
Bittersweet

Bittersweet

3.64  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,320 Ratings  ·  120 Reviews
In Bittersweet, Danielle Steel has written a novel for our times, a story of choices and new beginnings.

India Taylor lived in a world of manicured lawns and neatly maintained calendars: a merry-go-round of Little League, piano lessons, and Cape Cod summer vacations. With four wonderful children, India believed in commitment and sacrifice, just as she believed in Doug, the
Published February 25th 2009 by Dell (first published March 8th 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Bittersweet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bittersweet

BJ
Feb 18, 2011 BJ rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, womens-fiction, mine
Hadn't read a Danielle Steel in awhile, and this was typical of her writing style. Hated the main character's husband and it took half the book to get rid of him. By the time she got rid of him, I didn't like her much either!
Abby
Jul 18, 2016 Abby rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
lol
Curious
Aug 12, 2015 Curious rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Danielle steel fans
Shelves: unhaul
Steel just goes on and on about India wanting to photograph and spending all her time with her kids and seeing Doug for dinner. She wants to feel the excitement and the adrenaline rush once again, but nothing happens for a very long time. The divorce sets her free. She finds a man who supports and undersatnds her.

Overall impression - nothing happens for too long. As a reader i got bored until the divorce occured.
Bethany Stoelting
Very slow moving and repetitively frustrating at times, but Steel shows her knowledge of real-life situations. It was tragic and beautiful. Expect to be upset and frustrated until the last third of the book. I still enjoyed it immensely despite its speed.
Joy Marie Blasco
I find this book really boring. I was disappointed, 'cause I expected too much having read Steel's The Promise. But all in all, not that bad. Just that it's not a page-turner.
Karen
Oct 14, 2010 Karen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Mmmm ok, quite predictable, bit boring in parts, easy read but not a page turner.
 PuMbA's MoMmy*•.♥.•*
I can see why Danielle Steel has had so much success as an author. This is the first book of hers that I have read and I must say that I was surprised. I have seen a lot of her books at used bookstores and have passed them over. However, I picked up this one by luck. I read the excerpt on the story and I took it home with me. It sat on my bookshelf for about 1 year. I finally picked it up this week and began to read it. A few days later I find myself writing this review.

Let me start off by sayin
Angria
Aug 11, 2013 Angria rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Half way through the book, I was already feeling daunted by the predictable plot and the hackneyed character development. In a word, it was a yawn. Yet, i still ploughed through the book till the very end.

Bittersweet is a tale about a fortysomething homemaker, India, who is a former award-winning photojournalist, now happily married to her husband, Dough for 17 years, at least she thought they are. They have four happy kids and a regular home life that is admirable to everyone and for 17 years I
Nahiyan Asadullah
Jan 27, 2013 Nahiyan Asadullah rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: the emotional fools
"Bittersweet" is the second Steel book that I read, the first one was 'Irresistible Forces.' So the story starts off by portraying the life of India Taylor, the photographer. Her father was a Pulitzer-winning passionate photo journalist in his days.

India used to be a very famous photographer 17 years ago. However, her husband Doug whose name actually should be spelled 'Dog' had not let her continue on her passion and interestingly enough India had agreed to bury it thinking of her children and h
Summer
Jul 13, 2012 Summer rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
So India (the main character) was a very famous photographer 17 years ago and she wants to get back to work... but the "big" trouble is that, the jackass she calls husband, Doug, dont let her.

This is the first book of Danielle Steel that i read and i have to said that im a little bit dissapointed.
When I first started reading, I read one review that said India was the bravest heroin that she ever read before... hell no.

So i started reading the book ... and are fifty pages for her to ask for permi
Carol Storm
Pleasant enough but a little short on romance.

India is a nice enough heroine, but her husband is such a one-dimensional jerk it's hard to believe she was married to him for fourteen years.

Paul Ward is a nice enough hero, but I wish there was more romance and less angsting about the death of his first wife in a plane crash. Serena was actually a much more interesting character than Paul -- or India either for that matter.

Also given that India sees herself as a wife and mother first and a caree
L.P. Logan
Not normally one to read this genre, a moment of desperation at my daughter's ballet lesson coerced me into picking it up. Ugh, I wish I hadn't. The book drove me crazy. I hated the main character by the end of the book. She became completely self-absorbed despite complaining her husband did the same thing. Don't read this book. You'll be left with a feeling of rot growing inside of yourself.
Kelly
Jan 28, 2016 Kelly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Destiny Bell
Oct 15, 2015 Destiny Bell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bittersweet was the first book I had read from Danielle Steel and was something I really enjoyed. It was easy to read and very interesting. The characters were amazing, each brought an emotion out of me ranging from love to hatred. The story flowed nicely and not once was I bored. Very well-written, I have to say that this was a great book to start on when new to her stories. I enjoyed every bit of it and can only hope I'll feel the same way about her other stories.
Caddie Hart
Ugh! This is why I do not read Danielle Steel anymore! First prize goes to the one who can find the most "and he/she knew it" phrases in the book! This author repeats herself over and over in her books it drives me insane, and its downright irritating. It's a pity - Steel has good story lines but spoils it with all the repetition. Where is her Editor?!

I thought I was going to rate this book a 3 but ended up rating it a 2 because it's one big rollercoaster. It took a while for me to get into it i
Tara Anderton
Danielle Steel is my favourite author, however the more books i read from her the more i found that she repeats herself a lot and that gets on my nerves! She keeps coming back to the same thoughts and feelings over and over again - I don't know weather it's to make sure we get how the character is feeling (no need to drive it home so often in my opinion)or that's just how she writes?
Linda
Jan 24, 2016 Linda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Certainly not one of her better books, far too much discussion about their feelings and the same
things said over and over. It was nice that the main character wasn't a lawyer as Danielle tends to use the same occupations and locations repeatedly.

How is it that the female characters can survive on just a coffee?
Maiya8
No, no, no. I did not like this book AT ALL. It was just, very, lame. I didn't buy any of the events that happened. Waste of time. I feel bad because I have never been critical with a book before....oh well...
Ahmad Sharabiani
Bitter sweet, Danielle Steel
عنوان: تلخ و شیرین؛ نویسنده: دانیل استیل؛ مترجم: لیلی کریمان؛ تهران، توفیق آفرین، 1378، 381 ص، شابک: 9649206566؛
Alison
Aug 04, 2014 Alison rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This wasn't a great book, but it wasn't as bad as some reviewers have said. Take Danielle Steele's books for what they are - relationships that have their ups and downs, heroines that you love or hate, husbands that you love or hate, a third party romantic interest, and emotions and feels that are addressed in living detail. I enjoy reading her books as a break from murder mysteries and documentaries of real life that I read. They are fast paced, and there's usually one or two characters that I ...more
Julie
Jul 08, 2015 Julie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Just remembered why I stopped reading Danielle Steele 20 years ago...
zyra.cyra.xyra
Reasons why I gave two stars..

I’m not pretty sure (doubtful) if I liked India’s character in the story. She was too much under her husband Doug who wouldn’t let her get back to work as a professional photographer. She was easily manipulated by her husband. But optimistic signs of her which I liked- She’s a great mother, determined and humble. As I was reading the first few chapter, I found it irritating that same thing/conflict comes out-and that is India’s insistent of getting back to her work
Kristen
Aug 30, 2014 Kristen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
In Danielle Steel's Bittersweet, that was the best word to describe India Taylor's story in this harrowing romance. For India Taylor, she believed in commitment and success and lived in a good life with her four children. She had chosen her husband Doug for 17 years over her award-winning photojournalism career. She couldn't remember the exact moment when her agent called with her assignment, when her husband wanted her to turn it down. And that's when she met hew new friend, Paul Ward, a Wall S ...more
Julie Barrett
Dec 21, 2013 Julie Barrett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bittersweet by Danielle Steel
This book is about India who gave up her world traveling and helping others in less fortunate countries with shelter and food and married Doug, he works on Wall Street.
They live in Westport, CT and he commutes to work daily. She gave up her job in the photography field when she had her first child. After others came along and they are grown and teens she wants to get a career back.
On the Cape she met others who have listened to what she's told them and they are behin
Elza Balaj
Jun 09, 2014 Elza Balaj rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm reading that book right now its awesome, i love it so much like every book of my favourite Danielle Steel, don't know what to say it's just amazing, got so much love for it..

I've just finished it, it's very inspirational: NEVER GIVE UP ON YOUR DREAMS
Lisa Thomas
I have noticed in a lot of Danielle Steel's books is that the husband or father figure in the book is either absent or a complete jerk. This book is no different. I have also noticed that her books show that a woman can overcome her past to live a better life and that at times makes her books easy to read. It was a good story but the ending felt rushed.
Sunshine
Jun 26, 2012 Sunshine rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

So i started reading the book ... and are fifty pages for her to ask for perm
Janice Circle
Jun 19, 2015 Janice Circle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great reading

This book was a good book and full of life. I enjoyed the way it showed the world of pure imagination. It showed that the world of perfect marriage doesn't exist when deals are made. People still need to be able to be their own person and have their own unique style.
Ashima Mukherjee
Feb 05, 2014 Ashima Mukherjee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A journey to self exploration and reliving the lost years and gaining back the lost confidence....
Learnt yet again that we all must embark on experiencing...learning... sharing... living each experience life offers and gain spirit to living on your own terms no matter how hard the journey is...............
Kelly Ilebode
It was okay - I had a very hard time getting into the characters and felt like I was reading a book, not walking in their world and I don't like that. (hopefully that makes sense) I didn't LOVE it but I didn't hate it and would recommend it. I have read other Danielle Steeles book, and this at the bottom for me.
Danielle Steel Bo...: Bittersweet 1 2 Nov 20, 2012 08:47PM
  • When Twilight Comes (Mists of Fernhaven #1)
  • The Lives of Danielle Steel: The Unauthorized Biography of America's #1 Best-Selling Author
  • The Captive (Harlequin Blaze, #534)
  • The Italian's Rightful Bride
  • The Devil She Knows (Devil, #6)
  • Dating the Rebel Tycoon (The Kellys of Brisbane, #1)
  • Rock My World (Harlequin Blaze #215)
  • Danielle Steel
  • The Thursday Friend
  • Heart of Gold (Rainbow Chasers #1)
  • Patrick's Destiny (The Devaneys #4)
  • Good Girls Don't
  • Expensive People (Wonderland Quartet, #2)
  • Never Too Late
  • I Shot You Babe (Bombay Assassins, #4)
  • Winter Door (The Gateway Trilogy, #2)
  • Frontier Courtship
  • The Player
Since 1981, Ms. Steel has been a permanent fixture on the New York Times hardcover and paperback bestseller lists. In 1989, she was listed in the Guinness Book of World Records for having at least one of her books on the Times bestseller list for 381 consecutive weeks. But Guinness was premature. The fact is that one or more of Ms. Steel's novels have been on the New York Times bestseller list for ...more
More about Danielle Steel...

“And with courage came freedom.” 0 likes