Memories Are Precious: Alzheimer's Journey: Ruth's Story

Memories Are Precious: Alzheimer's Journey: Ruth's Story

4.75 of 5 stars 4.75  ·  rating details  ·  12 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Published November 23rd 2009 by Xlibris Corporation (first published 2009)

Sheila
Fran Lewis channels her mother’s voice beautifully in this short book, Memories are Precious, giving a haunting glimpse into the darkness of losing oneself to Alzheimer's and the struggle of caring for someone as they disappear.

Alzheimer’s is a much more complex illness than I’d realized, involving not just loss of memory but loss of control over bodily functions, loss of dignity and loss of purpose. The mother who once interpreted the cries of a child now has her own silence interpreted by that...more
Tom Barnes

Mamories are Precious
Fran Lewis

3-22-10
Memories are Precious
by Fran Lewis

When I think of the Bronx, New York Yankee Stadium and the Bronx Bombers come to mind. Of course the Yankee's are not the only residents of the Bronx. Ruth Swerdloff lives there too and she was not an athlete or celebrity but as a grandma she was the go to guy when it came to pickups and deliveries. Need a ride to Queens or a prescription filled and delivered grandma was always there. She also had a soft shoulder and woul...more
Martha Cheves
Martha A. Cheves, Author of Stir, Laugh, Repeat

'Alzheimer's is a deadly disease and does not discriminate. It is not a disease of the poor, the rich, the famous or the indigent. It is a disease that anyone can get at any time. It knows no boundaries and it does not care whether you are white or black or of any other race, religion or creed.'

Imagine going to sleep, waking up and finding yourself in a strange place. You have no idea where you are nor how you got there. You don't even know what you...more
Christoph Fischer
"Memories Are Precious: Alzheimer's Journey: Ruth's Story" by Fran Lewis is an amazing and a very important read that is informative, inspirational and heart warming.
The book is a selection of a huge variety of material: poems, personal dedications and love letters, short pieces of information, facts, guidelines, specific tips, testimonies, lists of resources and a great deal more that - as a family member of an Alzheimer patient - found invaluable.

The perspective changes slightly throughout the...more
Catherine E.
Told from the perspective of the one suffering, and those that love, to those that care for the alzheimer patient, Memories Are Precious is a personal and up front look at alzheimers. The inclusion of informative tips on how to properly care for a loved one makes this book a 'must read' for those faced with this dilemma. Fran Lewis did a terrific job in covering all the bases required to understand this deadly disease that doesn't discriminate.
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Moira Mcglynn
Moira Mcglynn marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
M
M marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2014
Mariem Bel haj amor
Mariem Bel haj amor marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2014
Michael Hostetler
Michael Hostetler marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2014
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2014
Deb Watley
Deb Watley marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2013
Paul York
Paul York marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2013
Robyn
Robyn marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2013
Bryan Murphy
Bryan Murphy marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2013
Marion Lovato
Marion Lovato marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2013
Brittnee
Brittnee marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2013
R.L. Cherry
R.L. Cherry marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2013
Tammy
Tammy marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2013
Kristy Violi
Kristy Violi marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2013
Dorotea Rossi
Dorotea Rossi marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2013
Corinne Adams
Corinne Adams marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2012
Maura Shanahan
Maura Shanahan marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2012
Lyn
Lyn marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2012
Caryl
Caryl marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2012
Denise
Denise marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2012

Biography: Fran Lewis

Born in the South Bronx, I grew up with people from many ethnic backgrounds. I learned to play and work with children in my school that came from other countries and different places.
I was always over weight as a child and got picked on a lot by the other children in my class and even my teachers. I found it hard to do many of the sporting activities that my sister and cousi...more
More about Fran Lewis...
Faces Behind the Stones bad choices My Name Is Bertha Bertha and Tillie - Sisters Forever Sharp As A Tack or Scrambled Eggs: Which Describes Your Brain?